Porsche Macan Forum banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Macan turbo
234 Posts
Thank you for that picture and to the GTR owner, never said you didn't know anything about cars. You obviously have years of experience. I have about 20 more years than you do at this point which in itself certainly does not qualify me as an expert, but I have experienced a few things.
My main point was that it is very difficult to compare one engine to the other when it comes to things like this. heck I had a s/ced rotary engine that I had to change iridium plugs on every 3k miles! Ran a big old ls7 n/a that would misfire with iridium's but ran great with copper plugs ---go figure?
Would love to take a lap with you in that GTR and I promise I will not throw up in my helmet:)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. My understanding is that under my hood is a Pandora's Box of Porsche Magic. I've never opened it for fear of letting any out.
@RJMcInnis , maybe you should petition Volvo to revive their YCC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_YCC

BBC NEWS | Business | Girl Power softens Volvo's edges

Here's an extract from the BBC article:

"Honestly, the only time I open the bonnet on my car is when I want to fill up washer fluid," said Tatiana Butovitsch Temm.

"Do we need to have a one metre square hatch for that or could we do it in another way?"

It's not a bad point, and not far removed from how many people use their cars either. I've had my Macan for 13k miles and almost 2 years now, and apart from opening the hood on the first day to look at the engine and again later to install a RaceChip I've only opened it to fill up the washer fluid. The Volvo YCC envisioned the car only needing an oil change every 50,000km, with occasional engine maintenance being performed in a garage after removing the entire front end of the body.

PS
I didn't see or hear anything escaping when I opened the hood so you might be wrong about that Pandora's Box of Porsche Magic thing. On the other hand, you have a Turbo and I only have an S so maybe that's where the difference comes from.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh but I'm thinking my cousins next door neighbors bosses uncle wouldn't agree with him given he drives a $1,000,000 N/A V8 Hybrid PCar 918 Weissach Spyder. ;)
Hey wiseguy - I was merely making the point that the "almighty" Porsche is no better than a hand-built & very high quality $100k-$200k Mercedes-Benz AMG, dude. I find that many Porsche owners (or 'drivers' who actually can't afford to OWN a Porsche so they LEASE or RENT one) seem to be quite SNOBBY...and imho, they really have zero right to be! I am not in that category, although I could be but I choose to be more humble.

Good luck and best wishes gentlemen...I'll be leaving the Forum for a while since it's been my experience lately that I haven't seen a whole lot here worthwhile discussing and contributing. Best wishes, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you for that picture and to the GTR owner, never said you didn't know anything about cars. You obviously have years of experience. I have about 20 more years than you do at this point which in itself certainly does not qualify me as an expert, but I have experienced a few things.
My main point was that it is very difficult to compare one engine to the other when it comes to things like this. heck I had a s/ced rotary engine that I had to change iridium plugs on every 3k miles! Ran a big old ls7 n/a that would misfire with iridium's but ran great with copper plugs ---go figure?
Would love to take a lap with you in that GTR and I promise I will not throw up in my helmet:)
Gotcha. Thank you for your clarification and kind words. My GT-R is a fun weekend car...0-60MPH in 2.7 sec., 1/4 mi. in 10.2 sec @ 136MPH, and it handles quite well...yeah, that works. :D

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hey wiseguy - I was merely making the point that the "almighty" Porsche is no better than a hand-built & very high quality $100k-$200k Mercedes-Benz AMG, dude. I find that many Porsche owners (or 'drivers' who actually can't afford to OWN a Porsche so they LEASE or RENT one) seem to be quite SNOBBY...and imho, they really have zero right to be! I am not in that category, although I could be but I choose to be more humble.

Good luck and best wishes gentlemen...I'll be leaving the Forum for a while since it's been my experience lately that I haven't seen a whole lot here worthwhile discussing and contributing. Best wishes, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
I find it quite funny you choose to call people "snobby" when your posts in this thread are the only ones that come across as snobby.

On second thought.... you do drive a Porsche. :p

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
When the manufacturer says 30k miles or 4 years, WCF, and that manufacturer is Porsche, who likely everyone on this forum reveres, where then is the argument?
Best run on sentence (question) of 2016!

There's a service diary that comes with the car for the service center to officially stamp, that's how serious Porsche takes their service intervals.
Resale (if you are so inclined) and waranty validity all revolve around the accuracy of the vehicle's service record.
If you were buying a used Pcar, would you want the one that the previous owner said "I ain't gonna spend $500 (or whatever) rip-off!"
You own a Porsche, suck it up and do your maintenance as instructed by the manufacturer, if not for your own piece of mind, perhaps for the future owner of a very special car which served you well, because you took very good care of it.0:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
When the manufacturer says 30k miles or 4 years, WCF, and that manufacturer is Porsche, who likely everyone on this forum reveres, where then is the argument?
Best run on sentence (question) of 2016!

There's a service diary that comes with the car for the service center to officially stamp, that's how serious Porsche takes their service intervals.
Resale (if you are so inclined) and waranty validity all revolve around the accuracy of the vehicle's service record.
If you were buying a used Pcar, would you want the one that the previous owner said "I ain't gonna spend $500 (or whatever) rip-off!"
You own a Porsche, suck it up and do your maintenance as instructed by the manufacturer, if not for your own piece of mind, perhaps for the future owner of a very special car which served you well, because you took very good care of it.0:)
OMG ....... just read the question again (below)

Anyone researched the actual NEED for plugs at 2 yr/30K miles? Most new cars have plug change at 60 to 90K. I think 30K plugs for non-tracked car seems overkill (as does brake fluid at 20K intervals).

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
OMG ....... just read the question again (below)
"OMG..."?
And your point is?
I don't know the "need" or the "why", that's why I follow the instructions in the manual. My response was to a large number of responses (in this thread and others) that some feel they are somehow being swindled concerning the manufacturer's recommended maintenance and to express my trust in what Porsche says to do (you know, the guys who made the car). Is that OK?
Some people are having difficulty finding what they feel is a fair price for said maintenance (I live in NYC and pay through the nose), my point, simply, is that it shouldn't be overlooked.
Run your plugs for 100k if that makes you feel better... I'm changing mine at 30k, in case you haven't figured that out yet.0:)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Hi all, I just went to pick up my Macan after the scheduled 30k service was done. Earlier on the Forum, I had read that another member's service department didn't know that new plugs were due at 30k until they were asked about it. I thought, "Hmmm that's weird, I'm sure that the service person must have known that".

Guess what? I asked and they hadn't done it. He went and checked the vin # and a quick check of both a manual and online and yep, it needed it. He was VERY apologetic. He mentioned that they don't have many Macans at 30K yet and again apologized.

So for those of you approaching the 30k service and are so inclined to follow Porsche recommendations, check and ASK and don't assume it will get done. I have a pre-paid maintenance plan.

No further discussions needed on the pros and and cons of replacing plugs or having maintenence plans or not. This is only a heads up for those that care about following Porsche suggestions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi all, I just went to pick up my Macan after the scheduled 30k service was done. Earlier on the Forum, I had read that another member's service department didn't know that new plugs were due at 30k until they were asked about it. I thought, "Hmmm that's weird, I'm sure that the service person must have known that".

Guess what? I asked and they hadn't done it. He went and checked the vin # and a quick check of both a manual and online and yep, it needed it. He was VERY apologetic. He mentioned that they don't have many Macans at 30K yet and again apologized.

So for those of you approaching the 30k service and are so inclined to follow Porsche recommendations, check and ASK and don't assume it will get done. I have a pre-paid maintenance plan.

No further discussions needed on the pros and and cons of replacing plugs or having maintenence plans or not. This is only a heads up for those that care about following Porsche suggestions.
Nope, you don't get off that easy. :)

I've only had one service done on my Macan so far (at 1 year and 6800 miles at the dealer I bought it from) and I honestly can't say I was impressed. Basically $450 for an oil change, and although the invoice said they checked all the fluid levels the windshield washer was almost empty when I handed it over and it was still flashing the "needs filling" flag when I got it back (which it did). My car was very grubby when I gave it to them so they washed it before returning it, but they did such a bad job and left so many patches and streaks of dirt that I had to wash it myself again anyway to make it look right - half a haircut just doesn't work.

Missing the washer fluid wasn't the end of the world of course, but it did make me wonder what less obvious things they'd forgotten or simply skipped. The two year service is due in a month and I'll be looking elsewhere for that - probably another dealer in Houston so I can push them to try and fix the PCM flaws I've had since day one and weren't resolved during the first service.

In your case @WHT TGR, even if your Macan was their first one at 30k there's zero excuse for them not knowing how to do a routine scheduled maintenance. And your service rep said they hadn't had many Macans at 30k yet, implying they've had some and perhaps sent them on their way without maintaining them to Porsche standards.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
@Jammer

I agree. He/they have zero excuse for missing this and I have dealt with it accordingly.

Like I said, heads up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys. We have the Macan 2015. So far the only services that has been done for the car are the oil change and the brakes pads. And so far we have used it from zero to about 60,000 KM.

I would like to know when are the services required for the gear oil, differentials, brake fluid ... etc. Or should I wait for the car sensors to report for me.

Note:

Please mention it in KM/H not in Miles/H.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi guys. We have the Macan 2015. So far the only services that has been done for the car are the oil change and the brakes pads. And so far we have used it from zero to about 60,000 KM.

I would like to know when are the services required for the gear oil, differentials, brake fluid ... etc. Or should I wait for the car sensors to report for me.

Note:

Please mention it in KM/H not in Miles/H.
The maintenance schedule detail should be in one of the manuals that came with your car but in general the car will tell you when it needs to be completed. You can also take a look manually on the multi-function display under the Vehicle menu... believe it is under Info then Service Interval. It will tell you the months/kms before the Service, Interim Service, and Oil Change.

As info I just picked up a 2015 Macan S (CPO) a couple weeks back and they completed the 60km major service as part of the CPO process... appears it included oil/filter, transmission fluid/filter, air filters (engine + cabin), wiper blades, key battery, inspection/scan for faults, etc. Surprised you're not receiving the 60k major service notification.

Also Porsche specs that the brake fluid be flushed/changed every 2 years, was that part of your brake pad change?

Reactions: si675

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today I had my 30k service performed on my S. Porsche recommends plug replacement at 30k, so with oil change the cost came to about $900. Plug replacement takes about 2.5 hours (vs 8 hours on 991 turbos!) The good news is that my car still runs virtually trouble free and is a constant joy to drive. Despite spirited driving and cornering, the all-season tires still perform amazingly and still have 6/32 tread on all 4 tires. Brake pads still have 7mm front and 8mm rear. All systems checked out well.

My Macan is the first one my dealer has sold that they have performed the 30k service on.

As much as a GTS would be nice, I enjoy my car so much I see no reason to make the financial leap at this time. Maybe in a year or 2.

BTW, I had a Panamera 4 as a loaner, and I found it felt heavy and lethargic compared to my Macan. However, I did get a chance to see the surround-view camera and was amazed. I think I'd be very tempted to get it on the next car. In this photo I took today, I was surprised how undistorted the image was. Notice how clear and undistorted the word "CUSTOMER" shows at the end of the parking space I parked in at the dealership.
My dealer wants to charge $2,300 for the 30,000 service on my 2017 GTS. That just sounds not right to me. Anyone have any suggestions on a dealer in the Mid-ATlantic (NC VA PA)? I don't know why I'm irritated but maybe it's because while I can afford a Porsche, it's a Macan, and while it's a GTS, it's not a 911. Thoughts from the community welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Even a 911 shouldn’t cost that much. People need to wise up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dealer wants to charge $2,300 for the 30,000 service on my 2017 GTS. That just sounds not right to me. Anyone have any suggestions on a dealer in the Mid-ATlantic (NC VA PA)? I don't know why I'm irritated but maybe it's because while I can afford a Porsche, it's a Macan, and while it's a GTS, it's not a 911. Thoughts from the community welcome!
There is nothing associated with the 30K service that can't be performed as a DIY with a minimum degree of mechanical expertise but with a desire to research, learn, and purchase a few tools and supplies. Most of the procedures required are described in sufficient detail on this forum. Visual details available on YouTube. No need to pay dealers outrageous prices if you are willing to try and to learn more about your Porsche. I've been doing this for the past 30+ years of my Porsche ownership with no disastrous results at all. Join the crowd. Give it a try. Save a bunch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is nothing associated with the 30K service that can't be performed as a DIY with a minimum degree of mechanical expertise but with a desire to research, learn, and purchase a few tools and supplies. Most of the procedures required are described in sufficient detail on this forum. Visual details available on YouTube. No need to pay dealers outrageous prices if you are willing to try and to learn more about your Porsche. I've been doing this for the past 30+ years of my Porsche ownership with no disastrous results at all. Join the crowd. Give it a try. Save a bunch.
Couldn't agree more with this post. The 30k service is a simple oil change ($110 in parts), Spark plugs ($65 in parts), and engine/cabin filters ($40). No reason this should even cost $600 nevermind the quoted $2,000. I did all my work at 60,000 miles for less than $250 and four hours of my time. Go out and enjoy working on the car! Nothing is more rewarding than doing the work yourself and saving thousands over the life of ownership. Plus, the biggest part...you know that you did the work correctly and no shortcuts were taken:D;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is there a way to get the pics to come up in the DIY link? Thanks.
I couldn't get them to come up. I suggest you do a search on YouTube. Almost all of the simple, routine Macan-specific service jobs I have looked for I have found there. Good luck, and don't be afraid to start wrenching on your Macan. Just be careful not to do stupid things like cross threading spark plugs. Start only by hand, and carefully. If you get stuck on something, get on this or a similar forum and ask for help. There are many of us out here who are ready and willing to give you our individual and collective help. :)

81 - 100 of 129 Posts