Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading around, there are some Cayenne and Panamera owners who wish they optioned their cars with 4-zone climate control. It seems to be useful not only for rear seat passengers, but also just cooling down the whole cabin in general, especially if you have the panoramic sunroof.

In the Cayenne the rear CC comes from an additional compressor and fan located in the side of the boot. I wonder if the Macan's 3-zone also includes an extra compressor/fan?

Ours will not be as sophisticated, it has no display and instead appears to be just 3 steps of 'warmer' and 3 steps of 'cooler':

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I could see it being usefull in Aus. Certainly not here. I use A/C maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year.
Lucky you :) I have not turned the AC off in about 6-7 years.

did not know that. extra compressor.. wow.. that must be one small compressor.
Here's what the 4-zone climate control looks like on the Cayenne:

The price difference ($830 vs $2150) and lack of B-pillar vents is leading me to believe that the Macan's implementation might still be drawing on the front compressor...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome info! Is this from some sort of brochure? I'd very much like to read it from start to finish :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... and mysteriously Luke has disappeared from the forum after providing the above helpful info. Strange? (although he did PM me for my email address shortly before doing so)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe he said too much and has been silenced ...
:eek:

The diagram above is quite startling though. It really appears that there is no additional compressor for the rear AC, instead it takes air from either front half and possibly by way of a louvre, biases the airflow from the warmer or colder side (why else would they say each step is "15%"?)

Therefore there is little advantage in terms of cooling the cabin down faster. With this info at hand I can no longer justify spending $1,132.95 on it :(

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, new poster her. The question I have is what do you get if you don't order 3-zone AC, are there any vents in the back?
No vent at all; you just get a big gaping hole ("storage compartment")

·
Registered
34 Posts
If there are no vents with the standard Climate then this option may be worth getting if only for the vents. 3 zone is now standard on the Q5 in Australia, even the base model. On the evoque you can add rear vents without temp control for $195.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I realised yesterday that even my golf has rear air vents! Pretty cute little ones but better than nothing.

The only reason I suspect you get a big gaping hole is because of the glimpse of that area in the 3d configurator with/without 3-zone:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I think you're right Chillyd, here's another view from the 3D configurator. I won't be speccing the 3 zone as I rarely have passengers in the back but it looks pretty ghetto with that plastic hole obviously where a vent normally would be...

1 - 20 of 317 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.