Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, my name is Alex and live in San Antonio Texas. I currently drive a Discovery Sport and the extended warranty is going to expire, therefore; I'm planning to purchase a Macan. Can someone assist me with pros and cons.? I want to make sure I know what I am dealing with, I appreciate.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2022 Macan S (ETA 09.02.2022)
53 Posts
Hey there Alex,

The coolest thing with the a la carte option selection arguably unique to Porsche is that you can technically equip each Macan to relatively equivalent levels regardless of trim level. The major difference, at least to me, is the engine.

Having test driven the various '22 base models and an '18 GTS, I don't think I will EVER drive either to the very limits where the dynamic performance differences would be blatantly apparent. For a vast majority of people including myself, daily driving is where these Macans will live. You will only really feel the difference between the trims in the occasional highway pull. Otherwise, unless you're at the limit, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Basically what I'm trying to say is: the base Macan is fine unless you really need the power of the S or the GTS. You can equip all trims to the same level of luxuriousness or to comparative levels of dynamic performance.

I am coming from a 2.0L turbo 4-pot. I definitely want more power. I see value in it, even for the occasional highway pull. I might take a hit in MPG but I'll think of it as a sin tax.

I answered assuming you were asking about the differences between the Macan trims. If you had been asking about the Porsche marque in general, then I guess the only real con is the expensive maintenance and out-of-warranty repairs. Porsche has always been my dream, and I am clearly biased in that respect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there Alex,

The coolest thing with the a la carte option selection arguably unique to Porsche is that you can technically equip each Macan to relatively equivalent levels regardless of trim level. The major difference, at least to me, is the engine.

Having test driven the various '22 base models and an '18 GTS, I don't think I will EVER drive either to the very limits where the dynamic performance differences would be blatantly apparent. For a vast majority of people including myself, daily driving is where these Macans will live. You will only really feel the difference between the trims in the occasional highway pull. Otherwise, unless you're at the limit, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Basically what I'm trying to say is: the base Macan is fine unless you really need the power of the S or the GTS. You can equip all trims to the same level of luxuriousness or to comparative levels of dynamic performance.

I am coming from a 2.0L turbo 4-pot. I definitely want more power. I see value in it, even for the occasional highway pull. I might take a hit in MPG but I'll think of it as a sin tax.

I answered assuming you were asking about the differences between the Macan trims. If you had been asking about the Porsche marque in general, then I guess the only real con is the expensive maintenance and out-of-warranty repairs. Porsche has always been my dream, and I am clearly biased in that respect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well wishes and good luck for when you dabble with the configurator! You'll notice that at certain price points, upgrading trims become a consideration. All I can say is: be strong!

Generally, the base Macan lightly optioned is the easiest way to get into the brand. Otherwise, its strongest propositions are lightness and MPG. A fully loaded base can cost as much as a reasonably optioned S or lightly optioned GTS! If you truly believe the base is all the power you'll need, feel free to stick to it, and anyone that derides you for that decision is misinformed.

All that said, I think the pricing sweet spot is the S. It has the same engine as the GTS (albeit factory de-tuned with less performance parts), but can be handsomely optioned without competing with a GTS.

You can technically say the same as above about the base and the S, but the engine is a strong consideration between the two. The jump in HP is more noticeable here than between the S and GTS. As mentioned earlier, I implore you to make your mind up before you begin: choose a trim for its engine and build around it!

·
Premium Member
2021 Macan GTS
91 Posts
Having had a well optioned base and now a GTS, I can say they truly are two different vehicles. With that said it’s really a matter of what you want out of it. I got much better gas mileage with the base. The base is great car, I would just get PASM and sports chrono to get the most performance out of it. I will say be honest with your self and if you do desire a sports car at any level spend the extra and go with a S or GTS.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
603 Posts
The base engine is more than just fine but if I were to get a Macan in SA, I would probably get an S.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure what your taste is in options and tech (whether you want a bare-bones vehicle or fully-loaded, or even prioritize sportiness features vs luxury) but be aware that Porsches are very customizable. I believe more so than Land Rover. It can be a pro or a con with the brand.

Definitely research all the options you think you might be interested in, I think literally every single option has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum so just search to find opinions.

·
Registered
13,532 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Alex and live in San Antonio Texas. I currently drive a Discovery Sport and the extended warranty is going to expire, therefore; I'm planning to purchase a Macan. Can someone assist me with pros and cons.? I want to make sure I know what I am dealing with, I appreciate.

Thanks,
The Base is a great daily vehicle . Just be VERY selective on options because Porsche staggers the pricing . Things like identical wheels cost LESS on a higher trim Macan . Cars like the GTS bundle all the performance options making it a bargain if the person wants those things . The best value overall is a very lean Base car (mid to upper 60's) .

Try to stick to the price parameters as you spend 1.000. 000 hours on the Porsche configurator .

1) Base - mid to upper 60's
2) S - mid to upper 70's
3) GTS - Upper 80's to low 90's .

Most here will break those barriers a little (myself included) . Try to keep those numbers in mind so that if you do decide to sell it you won't get crushed .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here in are the prices in Sa TX:
Base $65k to $73K depending on the packages
S. $75K to $83k depending on the packages
GTS. $85k to over $100k depending on the packages

My budget is $70k and thank you for everyone for their input and experiences. On another note, how much is the 10k mile maintenance? I'm used pay $1200.00 dollars/ 10k miles for the Land Rover and I'm ok with it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
767 Posts
I prepaid maintenance through 50,000 miles. Cost was $3500. I’m over 71k miles now. My 2017 Base has been flawless… I did custom order and very happy. Had the 60k service at dealer but just did 70k service at Indy that works on German vehicles (great place).

·
Registered
767 Posts
I prepaid maintenance through 50,000 miles. Cost was $3500. I’m over 71k miles now. My 2017 Base has been flawless… I did custom order and very happy. Had the 60k service at dealer but just did 70k service at Indy that works on German vehicles (great place).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here in are the prices in Sa TX:
Base $65k to $73K depending on the packages
S. $75K to $83k depending on the packages
GTS. $85k to over $100k depending on the packages

My budget is $70k and thank you for everyone for their input and experiences. On another note, how much is the 10k mile maintenance? I'm used pay $1200.00 dollars/ 10k miles for the Land Rover and I'm ok with it.

Thanks,
Looks like you are looking to buy a car off the lot. 70k will land you a handsome Macan. The base model with the Premium Plus Package (PP+) alone gets you to 64k. I would say try to find one with PASM optioned, or even air suspension. These I feel will have the most impact on getting your Porsche to "drive like a Porsche." The former is about 1.4k and the latter is 2.8k (based on configurator). Getting the latter puts you at around 67k which gives you flexibility in finding the right combination of options off the lot.

The T is harder to recommend if you are buying off the lot; dealers seems to love optioning PP+ on their cars and that brings the price slightly above your limit.

Cost of maintenance answered above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts