Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the turbo wheels, especially in black....dont really want to go to the expense to buy a used set and then the trouble to powder coat, as i live in an remote area, so not easy access to that service...I found these on ebay, looks to be the same stats as oem wheel, and with tires not a bad deal....any thoughts...I currently have black spyder wheels, which are nice, but i like a little bigger wheel and i hate cleaning the spyders...while this is not dramatically better for cleaning, it makes it a little easier to clean, especially if your like me, and i like to wash my brake calipers every time i wash the car and you really can't do that very well with the spyders

21" Porsche Macan S Turbo Mesh Style Staggered Wheels Tires TPMS GTS Black | eBay

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't think Porsche makes a black version of the Turbo wheel. Could be wrong. That and given the price I'm concerned that they could be cheap knock offs. For that price you could get a nice set of black wheels from a reputable dealer like TireRack. I just had my 21" Turbo wheels powder coated gloss black after seeing how much I liked the black 20" Savini wheels I got packaged with winter tires.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
228 Posts
...I currently have black spyder wheels, which are nice, but i like a little bigger wheel and i hate cleaning the spyders......
I started THIS THREAD thinking the opposite (trading my 21" Turbo S wheels and tires for the 20" RS Spyder black wheels mainly for the looks. You're in NC i'm in TX, road trip half way to an Alabama rest area and swap wheels, then drive back? ;)

@MacanCheez has a set of black 21" OEM Turbo wheels powdercoated to black, I think, may want to ask him.

Reactions: MacanCheez

·
Registered
38 Posts
From another point of view...
I'm running 20" black Spyder EBay knockoffs as my winter wheels with my Hakka snow tires on my GTS. When you compare the stock Porsche Spyders with the EBay Spyders you will notice a slight difference in style but they are very close. For winter wheels, I can't complain and have been very happy - I paid under $1,000. Obviously they aren't as good as the Porsche wheels, but at the price, it was with the risk in my mind.

·
Premium Member
2018 Turbo PP, 2018 GTS, 2018 488 GTB
75 Posts
I'm running 20" black Spyder EBay knockoffs as my winter wheels with my Hakka snow tires on my GTS. When you compare the stock Porsche Spyders with the EBay Spyders you will notice a slight difference in style but they are very close. For winter wheels, I can't complain and have been very happy - I paid under $1,000. Obviously they aren't as good as the Porsche wheels, but at the price, it was with the risk in my mind.
I totally get it and your POV makes sense. Me, I worry about structural integrity when I'm ankle deep in go-pedal, and I can't shake the thought ..... and then there's storage of a second set of wheels.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I totally get it and your POV makes sense. Me, I worry about structural integrity when I'm ankle deep in go-pedal, and I can shake the thought ..... and then there's storage of a second set of wheels.
Most dealers will store your wheel sets for free if that an issue. They do charge for swapping them out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sacrilege to put aftermarket Chinese wheels on a Porsche. Plus the wheels are cast (not forged), so they're going to be heavier and not as strong as OEM. Caveat emptor!
I would rather keep the originals or pay more for larger factory. There are many people selling factory sets under classfied.

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear what everyone is saying and get it....I'm pretty much oem kind of guy....I have a couple other sets of wheels, that i'm going to try and sell...I purchased about a year ago set of bbs 20inch from tire rack as a winter option....i don't have a need for those ....And i also have a set of the 21 inch porsche classic 5 spoke that i had on my S model....I like them, but since they are not totally black, i really want all black wheels....It just pops with the sapphire blue.....So i will be trying to sell those....I was just trying to find a direction with less resistance when going the turbo wheel direction and then getting them in black, which i know is not an oem feature.....

·
Premium Member
2018 Turbo PP, 2018 GTS, 2018 488 GTB
75 Posts
And i also have a set of the 21 inch porsche classic 5 spoke that i had on my S model....I like them, but since they are not totally black, i really want all black wheels....It just pops with the sapphire blue.....So i will be trying to sell those
Just powder them satin black, save $ and be done with it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've had cheap aftermarket wheels before. Learned my lesson...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I started THIS THREAD thinking the opposite (trading my 21" Turbo S wheels and tires for the 20" RS Spyder black wheels mainly for the looks. You're in NC i'm in TX, road trip half way to an Alabama rest area and swap wheels, then drive back? ;)

@MacanCheez has a set of black 21" OEM Turbo wheels powdercoated to black, I think, may want to ask him.
Sold, but could probably source another set fairly easily. Satin Black Turbos are a personal favorite!

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
549 Posts
Personally I don’t find wheels a place where I want to go cutting corners to save money. Kind of like brakes. I don’t want to wonder how well they are made when driving in a spirited manner. But it’s not my life at risk. I’d just find an oem set here and go that route. You may be able to save some cost trading or selling the spyders

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I hear what everyone is saying and get it....I'm pretty much oem kind of guy....I have a couple other sets of wheels, that i'm going to try and sell...I purchased about a year ago set of bbs 20inch from tire rack as a winter option....i don't have a need for those ....And i also have a set of the 21 inch porsche classic 5 spoke that i had on my S model....I like them, but since they are not totally black, i really want all black wheels....It just pops with the sapphire blue.....So i will be trying to sell those....I was just trying to find a direction with less resistance when going the turbo wheel direction and then getting them in black, which i know is not an oem feature.....
If you already have the 21" classics OEMs, it would be your biggest mistake to sell them and buy the Turbo reps!!!!! Get them out and have them powder coated gloss black. The 21" reps are just junk.

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I just sold my 21 classics and i purchased 21" Turbos that have been powdered coated in gloss black...I'm excited about the purchase..Thanks for all the tips...

·
Registered
303 Posts
So I just sold my 21 classics and i purchased 21" Turbos that have been powdered coated in gloss black...I'm excited about the purchase..Thanks for all the tips...
Great choice! Upload photos once installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Risk of what? Really. Let’s answer the question. Risk of a flat? No. Risk of a poorly weighted wheel? Nah. How bout risk of a catastrophic wheel failure at speed due to stress or hole damage or both? Yup.

If it were me, and it isn’t, I’d save my coin for a good forged set.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts