Porsche Macan Forum banner

2022 Volcano Grey Delivered

15K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  vanmacandriver 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
I've considered getting a Macan in 2017 and 2020 but ended up getting different vehicles. Five months ago, I decided that this time, I am pulling the trigger. I placed an order in early November, and I finally brought it home today. Here are some photos, initial observations and one question.

Steering Column Adjustment
My Macan was completed on 1/24 and came with manual steering column adjustment. When I asked about it, I was given a letter from Porsche blaming it on the chip shortage and asking me to pass it to the next buyer. There was no mention of a potential retrofit or other remedies. My SA promised to follow up with Porsche and let me know.

GT Sport steering wheel
I only test drove 2021s and didn't like the steering wheel. The 2022 steering wheel looks nicer, but I decided to order the GT sport wheel. The steering wheel is not thick. I don't know if it is thinner than the standard steering wheel, but I thought it would be thicker. It feels small at first but fits nicely in your hands. I have read other owners say it takes a few days to get used to. I did not option power steering plus since I wanted to get the standard Porsche steering feel, no disappointment here.

White Instrument Cluster
I am so glad I picked this option, helps break the all-black cockpit. I got some compliments on it from the delivery team, said they noticed it right away and that's a great touch.

Standard Interior
I debated getting the standard black leather option and I am glad I didn't. The standard interior feels high quality and sporty.

Volcano Grey
I love this colour and how it contrasts with the black trims, very sporty in my view. The only thing I wish I considered is the windows trim in gloss black but no regrets not getting it.

20" S Wheels & A/S Tires
These wheels look great Up close. I believe that 20" is the sweet spot. I ordered all-season and got the Michelins, which are by far my favourite tires.

Surround View
I love this option, I can't imagine parking in tight spots without it.

Storage
Man, where do I begin? I got an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and after the first turn when it flew out of the little storage bin next to the cup holders, I realized I got two options. Place it horizontally in the cup holders or inside the tiny bin under the armrest. It fits there just barely, even when it's empty.

Gas
The recommended octane is 93, the SA told me 91 is ok, and I feel I will go with that. Any reason why not? at first, I was impressed to see a range of 700+ KM, but I quickly realized its due to the 75L tank rather than excellent gas milage :)

Additional Coverages/Services
I didn't get any, and they didn't try to push beyond mentioning a $6,000 "VIP Package". After talking to the service manager, I think I will get the 3-year maintenance package for $1,400 CAD as it will be cheaper. I was told I could purchase it anytime before the first-year service appointment.

Engine buzzing sound
I've noticed a pretty loud buzzing sound after shutting down the engine (see YouTube link). Any idea what that is? is it normal? The sound did stop after a couple of minutes.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#6 Ā·
Congrats !!! A few comments and questions -
1) driving impressions ?
2) I would stick with Porsche recommended 93 . SA isn't going to pay the bill. when things go wrong.
3) Porsche steering wheels are not thick . I am ok with then but not ng compares to a Techart .
4) I like black dials . Different strokes .
5) The camera clarity and sensors drive me nuts . Wife loves them much like you do.
6) I put the phone under the floor mat in the right corner . Its secure, and flat . One less snap out of the two makes no difference . It is sometimes joined by my wallet . keep in mind I wear shorts a lot and don't want light clothing to have bulk unless I need to take it on me.
7) Standard is adequate just be cautious of hot sun . It can peel .
8) Manual steering - I usually set it one time in the lifetime of my car .

Car looks great . Volcano is very nice indeed !!

#9 Ā·
Congrats !!! A few comments and questions -
1) driving impressions ?
2) I would stick with Porsche recommended 93 . SA isn't going to pay the bill. when things go wrong.
3) Porsche steering wheels are not thick . I am ok with then but not ng compares to a Techart .
4) I like black dials . Different strokes .
5) The camera clarity and sensors drive me nuts . Wife loves them much like you do.
6) I put the phone under the floor mat in the right corner . Its secure, and flat . One less snap out of the two makes no difference . It is sometimes joined by my wallet . keep in mind I wear shorts a lot and don't want light clothing to have bulk unless I need to take it on me.
7) Standard is adequate just be cautious of hot sun . It can peel .
8) Manual steering - I usually set it one time in the lifetime of my car .

Car looks great . Volcano is very nice indeed !!
Thanks for the feedback.
1) I plan on taking some time to absorb and process the driving experience before summarizing it. I only drove it for 90 minutes, and my main focus was to operate it safely. I will say that it feels well-planted on the road like nothing else. I put it Sport mode briefly and felt this is how I'll be doing most of my driving. I also understand why Pedal Commander is such a popular upgrade.
2) I am not sure how available is 93 around me. Costco, where I planned to get my premium gas, only carries 91 - TBD.
4) All my cars had black dials. My RDX got light silver is nice but not great. This time around I wanted something different.
5) The resolution is great, but there's a learning curve to using the 360 views with the proximity sensors.
6) I am waiting to see if someone comes up with a good MagSafe solution. For now, I will have to figure out a solution, perhaps keep it in my pocket.
7) I think Leather dash cover can also be damaged from the sun, but this is not something we need to worry about too much in the pacific northwest :)
8) Agreed, I liked it more for the position adjustment as you get into the car, but this is not an important feature.

#12 Ā·
Nice spec. Take a pic of the white dials when you get a chance. I had them in my 2017 and I miss them. I'm wondering if they look the same as they did a few years ago.

Reactions: vanmacandriver
#16 Ā·
Thank you. I'm attaching two photos, one inside my garage where it shows halfway between black and white, and outdoors. The MFD shows the European service intervals (2nd year/30K). Is that normal or did they forget to program it to display the north American interval (1st year, 15K)?

Attachments

#13 Ā·
buzzing may be the radiator fan if it's coming from the front or air suspension (if you have it) from the rear. I think Porsche said they aren't going to retrofit the steering column adjuster. 91 octane is fine unless you are on a race track...you won't hurt anything and you won't notice the difference. Storage for a large phone....don't carry passengers and use that seat :). Someone will surely make a magsafe charger that fits in the lighter that you probably haven't found yet in the console :) :)

#18 Ā·
Thank you. I don't have AS and the sound was definitely in the front. Yea, I am waiting for a good MagSafe solution, for now, I commandeered the cup holders.

#19 Ā· (Edited)
I took my Macan out today in the rain to run some errands. That allowed me to experience and process it a bit more. I didn't try to drive it fast or aggressively around corners, just an ordinary daily drive around town. The way it drives feels more premium than any SUV I've driven. It handles road imperfections, potholes and even speed bumps very well. The steering is rock solid, and the braking is excellent. Everything about it feels premium. It feels like Porsche's engineers did not try to build a ā€œwell-balancedā€ SUV. They prioritized driving experience over everything else. I can tell it's an old design, but it doesn't feel they tried to cut corners. Like many others, I have been agonizing over design and cosmetic options, but when I look at it, I am pleased with all the choices I made, and for me, it is rare ;-) I even like the red LED lights and Porsche logo in chrome. Initially, I thought to tint/wrap them, but I like how the red LED adds contrast, and the logo matches the wheels. The only thing I may regret is the model delete, it feels like something is missing in that space. I guess I will get used to it and if not, I could always add it later.

Attachments

#28 Ā·
Steering Column Adjustment
My Macan was completed on 1/24 and came with manual steering column adjustment. When I asked about it, I was given a letter from Porsche blaming it on the chip shortage and asking me to pass it to the next buyer. There was no mention of a potential retrofit or other remedies. My SA promised to follow up with Porsche and let me know.
Any follow up from your service advisor? We have also picked up our new Macan Base and have a manual steering column adjustment.

#31 Ā·
itā€™s a fabulous looking Macan and Iā€™d concur about the premium feel and the aura of attention to driver experience.

you can also have the model designation added ā€¦ either by decal ā€¦..and this is my preferenceā€¦. Having it hand painted.
When I was doing appearances for Harley-Davidson there was a fellow who hand painted all my Arai provided helmets. The minute detail was amazing. Check local sign shops for the talent.

#33 Ā· (Edited)
Washed and drove both cars today. The RDX is still a fantastic SUV, taking the same route back to back made me appreciate the Macan's suspension, steering response and braking even more. The RDX felt a bit faster, perhaps due to a better throttle response (pedal commander is on order) and the fact I am still not comfortable driving the Macan as hard.

Attachments

#34 Ā·
I finally heard that sound today. Now I know what you are talking about. Itā€™s not very loud on our Macan. Is it quieter for you now after a month of use?

#39 Ā·
Engine buzzing sound
I've noticed a pretty loud buzzing sound after shutting down the engine (see YouTube link). Any idea what that is? is it normal? The sound did stop after a couple of minutes.
These posts mentioned the buzz sound could be radiator louvers/shutter related for reference.

The lid up white instrument cluster looks pretty nice, good color combo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.