Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
Let’s be real, the 22 Macan at S or GTS level does not lack power. It lacks throttle response in normal mode. It will still move quite well if you put your foot down, just not as quickly as it does in the Sport modes.
I took the 20 Turbo out tonight . Thinking f his post I decided to tinker with normal mode . I usually go right to sport once the car is warm . I took the up up to 50 and then accelerated the way the Op was doing . Its similar yet I am so accustomed to modulating the pedal that its not a big deal . As soon as one kicks down it goes even in normal mode . One learns pedal control with things like the clutch or brake why not the gas too? As soon as it bumps to sport the response improves greatly . Keep in mind that sport mode in my 20 Macan Turbo is not as responsive as normal mode in my 22 911 GTS . Also note that he is modulating ate 50 MPH . Usually if a person is going to overtake at that speed he's either bumping to sport or even tapping the sport response button . Punch that pedal at 50 in a Base Macan and it will wince to hard accelalerate .

Frankly I tink he simply wants to mod the car and even if he does iit can't deny what it is. The Macan will always be a two ton SUV . Its a GREAT SUV .
Why not just let it be what it is ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have the same comment that non sports mode is MUCH less fun. but maybe that's the point of "comfort" mode. I certainly do not have any herky jerky movements in the car, and less complaining from the wife when im in the mode due to the "overdamped" feeling. that said, when it's on sport mode, that completely changes the car in all areas - throttle response, shift points, how long gears hold, etc. it's much more aligned to what I think a Porsche should drive like... the gas mileage is horrendous though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the PedalCommander arrived and other than being 65 and hanging upside down in the driver seat, isn't as easy as when I was 20, it wasn't to bad of an install. It does seem to mitigate the pedal lag. I have it on City-2. It "feels" like a performance car should feel like now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ’21 Macan Turbo was a huge disappointment regards to throttle response so I got the PC and it helped a lot. I had a X3M before that and it had a killer throttle response But the worst ride over bad roads. Macan Turbo fixed the ride issue but brought the throttle issue.

Maybe too many choices on PC, but I tend to drive City -2 most often. I can’t seem to find the perfect setting where I feel like it fixed everything. Maybe City -2.5 would be good if there was the option.

I sent mine to Florida and now drive my wife’s ’21 base X3 as she got a base ‘22 Cayenne. Both the X3 and the Cayenne have throttle responses that are great. I just don’t get it with the Macan.

I’ll be driving the Macan in a few weeks so I‘ll have to revisit the throttle response issue again. Tempted to just trade it in for something else.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A Pedal Commander or the like will solve that lag for $200. The lag is what it is for the S model due to conservative programming. I have a Roar Pedal unit on my 2021 S and it instantly wakes up.
do you recommend the roar pedal? seems to be $100 less than the pedal commander. it it does same thing, i will try it. thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
do you recommend the roar pedal? seems to be $100 less than the pedal commander. it it does same thing, i will try it. thanks!
I'd be interested in your feedback. It has one more setting with 9 levels than Pedal Commander.

I may order one and try it next month when I get back and see how it compares with Pedal Commander. At this point what's a $160 to get it to be what you like.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
60 Posts
The Roar Pedal works as advertised, and I‘m sure the PC works the same. Adjustable to exactly to what I want. My Macan S is the best it can be with this mod, which costs a lot less than anything else for a Porsche. Get a grip, whether it is $160 or $280, it is a simple reversible noticeable mod that makes the Macan more enthusiast friendly. if you are unhappy w/ throttle response, then try it…if you hate the device then throw it away…it costs as much as 3 tanks of gas these days.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
147 Posts
My ’21 Macan Turbo was a huge disappointment regards to throttle response so I got the PC and it helped a lot. I had a X3M before that and it had a killer throttle response But the worst ride over bad roads. Macan Turbo fixed the ride issue but brought the throttle issue.

Maybe too many choices on PC, but I tend to drive City -2 most often. I can’t seem to find the perfect setting where I feel like it fixed everything. Maybe City -2.5 would be good if there was the option.

I sent mine to Florida and now drive my wife’s ’21 base X3 as she got a base ‘22 Cayenne. Both the X3 and the Cayenne have throttle responses that are great. I just don’t get it with the Macan.

I’ll be driving the Macan in a few weeks so I‘ll have to revisit the throttle response issue again. Tempted to just trade it in for something else.
Same here with my '21 Turbo - that lag in comfort mode is horrible. Have PC installed and its a definite improvement, still trying to find the right setting. City +2 is the best for me so far and works very well from a standing start but once on the go there still seems a sort of flat spot behaviour in the lower gears and then it picks up again. I like the fact the PC 'adds' to the Sports and Sports+ modes of the car.

I've driven the 22 GTS and the response is spot on (Porsche did the underbody changes well) - pity the updated styling is so 'plasticky'. Would love to know what was done to remove the response lag - engine map or something specific on the throttle electronics.

Interested to hear how the Roar Pedal stacks up against the PC. A side by side comparison would be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here with my '21 Turbo - that lag in comfort mode is horrible. Have PC installed and its a definite improvement, still trying to find the right setting. City +2 is the best for me so far and works very well from a standing start but once on the go there still seems a sort of flat spot behaviour in the lower gears and then it picks up again. I like the fact the PC 'adds' to the Sports and Sports+ modes of the car.

I've driven the 22 GTS and the response is spot on (Porsche did the underbody changes well) - pity the updated styling is so 'plasticky'. Would love to know what was done to remove the response lag - engine map or something specific on the throttle electronics.

Interested to hear how the Roar Pedal stacks up against the PC. A side by side comparison would be good.
Too bad Porsche is not offering a software update to change the '21 Turbo to the '22 GTS response. I guess I could inquire with the dealer.

I drive City -2 for the wife (she probably likes it best without the PC as a passenger), and I vary it all over for myself looking for the sweet spot. On the highway, City +2 or higher gives me the nice throttle control I like to deal with traffic, in either Sports or Sports+ mode. Then it feels like a proper performance car that can take on traffic confidently without the lag - and it is a lag, as it doesn't matter what gear or rpm, the pedal needs to be depressed more than needed to control car precisely.

The sharp control is what I recall driving my first '81 911SC Targa with manual transmission around NYC highways. For that era, it could take on anything.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
147 Posts
I’ve likely missed this piece of info in other threads, but with pedal ommander installied, do you still get progressively more aggressive response going from comfort to S to S+ or does it just stay at the new pedal commander setting?
It does add to Sports and Sports Plus but I feel it may be less noticeable given the car is in a more respsonsive mode to start with.

Reactions: KM20Turbo

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
147 Posts
Did you get the Roar Pedal in the end?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Responding to the post about 50mph and easing into the throttle without reaction/downshift. For me, at 50-55mph, in 7th and in comfort/regular mode, soon as I tip into the throttle, PDK grabs 6th. And, if I tip-in a bit firmer, not heavy input, it will grab 5th.

Before delivery, I was skeptical about PDK and even was set on buying PC or the like but I have to say, I’m very pleased with how PDK has been behaving. For normal commuting, I have yet to really see the need to engage Sport mode for PDK and throttle response reasons. I do have one gripe, PDK is a bit slow to react. My wife’s Audi A4 (DSG) is super quick, soon as you pull the paddle, it reacts without delay. PDK, in some gears, isn’t as quick. I’ve had a few cars with dual clutch so I have some experience. I’ll see if there’s a setting that the dealer can tweak for me. Lastly, while in regular/comfort mode, not a fan how PDK won’t shift into 1st unless you’re doing 1mph or stopped. Sport mode does engage 1st at lower speeds though.

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
541 Posts
Responding to the post about 50mph and easing into the throttle without reaction/downshift. For me, at 50-55mph, in 7th and in comfort/regular mode, soon as I tip into the throttle, PDK grabs 6th. And, if I tip-in a bit firmer, not heavy input, it will grab 5th.

Before delivery, I was skeptical about PDK and even was set on buying PC or the like but I have to say, I’m very pleased with how PDK has been behaving. For normal commuting, I have yet to really see the need to engage Sport mode for PDK and throttle response reasons. I do have one gripe, PDK is a bit slow to react. My wife’s Audi A4 (DSG) is super quick, soon as you pull the paddle, it reacts without delay. PDK, in some gears, isn’t as quick. I’ve had a few cars with dual clutch so I have some experience. I’ll see if there’s a setting that the dealer can tweak for me. Lastly, while in regular/comfort mode, not a fan how PDK won’t shift into 1st unless you’re doing 1mph or stopped. Sport mode does engage 1st at lower speeds though.
The 22GTS shifts into first in Normal. It will even downshift for you if you come to a quick stop. They have tuned the models differently for sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 22GTS shifts into first in Normal. It will even downshift for you if you come to a quick stop. They have tuned the models differently for sure.
At what speed does it shift into 1st while in normal mode? All the trims will downshift for you when you come to a quick stop. Not exactly sure what you’re referring to???

·
Registered
541 Posts
At what speed does it shift into 1st while in normal mode? All the trims will downshift for you when you come to a quick stop. Not exactly sure what you’re referring to???
Roughly 4-5mph.

I mean a downshift as in riding the gear a little to assist you in stopping faster. Not coasting. Hope I’m making sense.

I’m use to downshifting and assisting me in Sport mode but not Normal mode.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got it. I’ll do some more playing around like driving it in spirited fashion while while in normal mode and see if it will shift into 1st around 4-5mp

Yes, even in normal mode my S will down shift (engine braking with higher revs) when I attempt to quickly stop with decent amount of brake pressure.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Got it. I’ll do some more playing around like driving it in spirited fashion while while in normal mode and see if it will shift into 1st around 4-5mp

Yes, even in normal mode my S will down shift (engine braking with higher revs) when I attempt to quickly stop with decent amount of brake pressure.
The engine braking is new to me in the 22GTS in normal. My previous 18S did not do that in normal. From my understanding they tune the S and GTS different so we might be comparing apples to oranges in the sense of tuning.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY21
147 Posts
Quick update on the Pedal Commander after further driving ... so for me in my '21 Turbo the sweet spot is City +3 setting. I mainly drive in Comfort mode with Sport+ on the PASM, low mode on air, stop/start off and sports exhaust engaged. That would be my individual setting but you can't set the sports exhaust to on - have to manually engage every time I start up so no point setting up individual on the chrono.

Anyway standing start lag is pretty much gone and pull off is exactly what I expect. Certainly my driving style had changed as the lag brought in an element of doubt when say joining traffic at a roundabout from standing. I think I also need to make more use of PDK in manual mode and get to understand the gear changes much better - I've previously only driven manual gearshifts.

At the moment I don't feel the need to change the settings on the PC but rather just change the chrono mode on the car if I need more drama. I'm really glad my drive in comfort mode is now more lively without all the additional engine changes in Sport and Sports+.

Can say those with a '22 GTS have in my mind the best driving Macan around having had a loan car previously.

Reactions: lyricgskills

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an interesting thread. In my case my DD is a ‘22 X3 M40i. I am wondering if I’d be a bit disappointed with a ‘23 Macan S vs the brilliantly new B58 with mild hybrid tech, added in the ‘22.

$15K more for a Macan S and I‘d expect better all around performance in all drive modes not just better handling than the latest and greatest M40i from BMW.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts