Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just test drove a 2022 Macan S and and X3 M40i.
I loved everything about the Macan S EXCEPT the power of the engine and laggy throttle response.
There's not a lot of shove or push, even in sport mode.
In normal mode, forget about it...if you ever get caught in normal mode driving and try and punch it, nothing happens. You are screwed.

the X3 M40i engine and throttle response is amazing...but I don't like much else about it. Cheap feeling inside.

For those you have taken delivery of a 2022 GTS, do you also have the laggy throttle response that the S has?
Does it feel torquey or punchy even in comfort mode?

I can't test drive a GTS...if it has anywhere near the performance and immediacy of the B38 in the X3 M40i then I would order in a heart beat.
I wonder if the 2022 GTS throttle mapping is more aggressive than previous year's Turbo models.
I had the same experience. After I bought my GTS, it took me awhile to figure out that the engine has to be up to temp before the computer will let you go fast. Like oil temp at 200F.

the test drives are sort of unfair if you don’t know this. The sales guy will let you do a quick 2 miles and your back.

GTS is quite a bit more powerful. It scales out really well or fantastic on big interstate highways with lots of mountains and desert plains. I was running with a pack of high end German cars from Vegas, and I felt I could out run them with ease, even climbing large hills or small mountains. The Korean cars were a joke and couldn’t keep up. One Honda mini van passed us and I was surprised. Anyways, the GTS shines on large terrain, amd just looks great driving around the city. At least where I live. No roads to drive on.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Normal mode in my GTS has very slow throttle mapping. You can get used to it but it is clearly set up for fuel economy. I drive in sport or sport+ after warm-up. You might think PDK would hold revs too long in those modes, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Normal mode in my GTS has very slow throttle mapping. You can get used to it but it is clearly set up for fuel economy. I drive in sport or sport+ after warm-up. You might think PDK would hold revs too long in those modes, but it doesn't.
I drive mine in normal or eco mode as well to save gas. When I drive the car in insane or sport plus mode, I can burn a gallon of gas in several minutes, or 5 MPG at best, seriously. The eco mode is fine for driving around town, just press the pedal harder if you want the car to take off quicker. Eco mode saves me from driving like a mad man during the day.

·
Registered
Macan 2018 GTS, Camaro SS 2017
16 Posts
I find sports plus mode completely eliminates the factory-tuned "throttle lag" in my GTS. Most American cars have throttle lag built into the factory tune to help you avoid hitting pedestrians you don't see or are hiding behind the left A-pillars. I had to tune the throttle lag out of my 2017 Camaro SS. Now, just touching the petal is like hitting a nerve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife's 2019 is a hoot, it is very peppy in normal mode, on the highway you give it 1/2 of throttle and it down shifts and goes, mine is my like a yacht, push and it will eventually do something. I will try and convert the .mov to .mp4 so it is widely viewable and post a follow up link.

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
600 Posts
Have you tried pressing the accelerator quicker. I find the more you ease your way into the accelerator the less it responds. The faster you press it in 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 or Full throttle, it will give you a different response if you do it super fast versus slower.

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
600 Posts
I will try that, but it is still dumb! No, you but that a Porsche that drives like a boat, what next.
Lol I mean I am pretty dumb when it comes to Astro physics 😉 My stock 22 GTS drives amazing, they should hopefully have a tune out for your car soon if you are even interested in something like that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Normal mode is a bit laggy. That’s why you read about folks installing a Pedal Commander. I don’t find it necessary. I thought I would. But I have gotten used to it but I have also found that blipping the throttle wakes it up and it’s fine. Sport mode eliminates all laggyness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man that sounds like fun! Let us know how the Pedal Commander goes!
It was, you know how it rolls, you start out just going to track days, then you buy tires, and need a trailer for tires, then you buy a miata/951 and need a trailer for those... and then you weekends disappear, leave early Sat morning, get back late Sunday. I missed my family, so I started to get back into dirt bikes, I could go do that for a few hours and be home. It was fun, a lot of fun... and then it started to be work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I never thought I would do it, ordered a pedal commander, my F250 is more responsive than this thing. If I push the truck pedal that far, it is downshifting and moving on!
I test drove a 22 S and had the same experience, my husband also drove it and thought the same. It was a city test drive and the car seemed heavy and sluggish, we were underwhelmed. We had driven several base models and they all seemed very responsive and zippy, so we ended up ordering a base model (haven't received it yet). I was wondering if it was the particular S that we drove (it was the only one available in the whole region), I know the S is heavier, but it was more than just weight.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts