Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Just test drove a 2022 Macan S and and X3 M40i.
I loved everything about the Macan S EXCEPT the power of the engine and laggy throttle response.
There's not a lot of shove or push, even in sport mode.
In normal mode, forget about it...if you ever get caught in normal mode driving and try and punch it, nothing happens. You are screwed.

the X3 M40i engine and throttle response is amazing...but I don't like much else about it. Cheap feeling inside.

For those you have taken delivery of a 2022 GTS, do you also have the laggy throttle response that the S has?
Does it feel torquey or punchy even in comfort mode?

I can't test drive a GTS...if it has anywhere near the performance and immediacy of the B38 in the X3 M40i then I would order in a heart beat.
I wonder if the 2022 GTS throttle mapping is more aggressive than previous year's Turbo models.
The GTS will be mapped a bit more agressivively but I dont think its what you are after . Cars like the Macan and Panamera (both PDK) are more civilized in the programming . Its still an amazing vehicle . Normal mode is ridiculous . Sport plus brings revs to redline which leaves sport . I feel its done well for a two ton SUV .

However on the other side of the fence the 911 mapping is different ball game . In my former 2017 GTS normal was still ridiculous but sport was extremely responsive at the low end and quite linear despite having a turbo (vs NA) engine . The 992 GTS that I just picked up this week is the ideal description of what you seem to be looking for . Normal mode is FINALLY not ridiculous . It actually drives like sport mode in most other Porsches . That shocked me ! Sport mode is amazing . Its not like sport plus where it goes to redline but was it does is show the driver an eagerness . Its as if my car is saying to me "come on dude just hit it already" . So one can cruise in sport but the car lets you know its not only ready , willing and able but that it wants it !! Porsche will never do this in a family type vehicle but they finally have done it with this one.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
This doesn't seem normal . Of course the font on the pedal is not enough to see the RPM and response . BTW I am not a fan of the S and never have been. Despite my bias it takes more to convince me this is not a problem.

Have you showed this to your technicians ? I would . The 22S has the same engine as the 2nd gen GTS minus the aggressive throttle map of a GTS . Do things improve in sport ? If so by how much ? How many miles are on the car ?

You should not have to modify this car to make it right .

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
Let’s be real, the 22 Macan at S or GTS level does not lack power. It lacks throttle response in normal mode. It will still move quite well if you put your foot down, just not as quickly as it does in the Sport modes.
I took the 20 Turbo out tonight . Thinking f his post I decided to tinker with normal mode . I usually go right to sport once the car is warm . I took the up up to 50 and then accelerated the way the Op was doing . Its similar yet I am so accustomed to modulating the pedal that its not a big deal . As soon as one kicks down it goes even in normal mode . One learns pedal control with things like the clutch or brake why not the gas too? As soon as it bumps to sport the response improves greatly . Keep in mind that sport mode in my 20 Macan Turbo is not as responsive as normal mode in my 22 911 GTS . Also note that he is modulating ate 50 MPH . Usually if a person is going to overtake at that speed he's either bumping to sport or even tapping the sport response button . Punch that pedal at 50 in a Base Macan and it will wince to hard accelalerate .

Frankly I tink he simply wants to mod the car and even if he does iit can't deny what it is. The Macan will always be a two ton SUV . Its a GREAT SUV .
Why not just let it be what it is ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts