Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I wanted to keep and drive it for a few years. Luckily I don't need a rental as we have a few cars at our disposal. The GEICO adjuster is coming out tomorrow and I have the collision center preparing a quote as well off of pictures.
Since you were planing on replacing it in a few years, I suggest start shopping now for your new GTS.
Build one & also look at online lot cars all over the country. I'm not sure how a Porsche dealer will treat your trade, that will not have repairs complete, for many months, if you want to buy the lot car now.

If you order a new one, maybe your car will be repaired in time to take delivery.

Reactions: EPTXGTS

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS -White W/Black-Red Leather Int. Spyder Wheels Blk W/SC
47 Posts
If it winds up being totaled, I would like to buy the ECU from it. ;)

Reactions: EPTXGTS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That sucks. I can imagine your heart sank. Most importantly I'm glad you're ok. Cars can be fixed or replaced. Did you have traction control off?
Everything was on. I was in normal mode. From revisiting the accident site and talking through it, I think I just made the turn too fast. Either way, lesson learned. Really conflicted on what happens next though. Hoping it’s an easy fix or worst case a total. It’s my fault though and I have to live with the consequences. Glad no one was hurt!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everything was on. I was in normal mode. From revisiting the accident site and talking through it, I think I just made the turn too fast. Either way, lesson learned. Really conflicted on what happens next though. Hoping it’s an easy fix or worst case a total. It’s my fault though and I have to live with the consequences. Glad no one was hurt!
How far did the car slide?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since you were planing on replacing it in a few years, I suggest start shopping now for your new GTS.
Build one & also look at online lot cars all over the country. I'm not sure how a Porsche dealer will treat your trade, that will not have repairs complete, for many months, if you want to buy the lot car now.

If you order a new one, maybe your car will be repaired in time to take delivery.
If he’s already ordered a new one, he has no bargaining leverage. After it is repaired, take the old one to CarMax, or if you have the time, sell privately. It’ll be fine.

Recently, my wife got in a small accident ($3k of damage) as I was in the process of buying her a new car. They quoted me less than half bluebook for the car as it was (half bluebook accounting for the $3k repair already). Total rip-off but dealers don’t want to hold a messed up car in inventory so they just won’t really want it. Good news is that CarMax gives very fair offers - at or above bluebook in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
I didn't see it described anywhere, though I'm thinking about this T intersection cornering issue... I'm guessing the road
you were on did not have a stop sign and you were turning left onto the side road - at speed. Correct?

Or, perhaps you were on the side road and roared off from a stop, turning left and the rear end of the Macan broke loose?

You mentioned gravel though it is unclear if these roads were paved and some gravel/dirt was on the road surface where
tires don't normally track. Or, maybe the scenario includes gravel/dirt roads?

Your post above mentions the possibility of a total loss. You posted above an initial estimate of $22.5K. This is a new GTS, right?
I would venture a guess that the shop repair price would have to double (or more) to reach total loss territory.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very sorry to hear/see this. I can't imagine how you feel. And the increased insurance premium will be a constant reminder of this (not that you need it).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for the terrible accident in your brand new GTS. What was the outcome of your insurance claim?

From my personal experience, it’s almost better to have the car totaled right from the start. Agree to have it fixed as long as there’s no frame damage of any sort. Although a good shop can certainly fix a frame damage, it is certain the insurance company will mark it as such on its public records. That’s really terrible for the resale or trade-in value of the vehicle down the road. In terms of value, it is almost as bad as having a “salvage” title. I learned this the hard way about a decade ago after an accident on a brand new Passat which was borderline totaled and it sustained frame damages. The insurance company eagerly fixed it (cheaper for them!), but never disclosed the future consequences and the bad public rating they were giving the vehicle post accident. It’s better to take it on the chin now that you have full protection (plus gap insurance) to start all over. In spite of the potential wait for a new GTS, you will be so much happier on a damage-free car that won’t have to live at the dealership for possible hidden issues that may surface later. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Sorry for the terrible accident in your brand new GTS. What was the outcome of your insurance claim?

From my personal experience, it’s almost better to have the car totaled right from the start. Agree to have it fixed as long as there’s no frame damage of any sort. Although a good shop can certainly fix a frame damage, it is certain the insurance company will mark it as such on its public records. That’s really terrible for the resale or trade-in value of the vehicle down the road. In terms of value, it is almost as bad as having a “salvage” title. I learned this the hard way about a decade ago after an accident on a brand new Passat which was borderline totaled and it sustained frame damages. The insurance company eagerly fixed it (cheaper for them!), but never disclosed the future consequences and the bad public rating they were giving the vehicle post accident. It’s better to take it on the chin now that you have full protection (plus gap insurance) to start all over. In spite of the potential wait for a new GTS, you will be so much happier on a damage-free car that won’t have to live at the dealership for possible hidden issues that may surface later. Just my two cents.

AGAIN... Macans are unibody construction - there is NO FRAME.

It's not a pickup truck...

As with passenger cars (like the VW Passat noted above), most personal vehicles on the road today are of unibody construction. Damaged vehicles CAN
be mounted on so-called frame machines in order to try and straighten/align their unibody if needed. Results may vary...

·
Registered
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
202 Posts

As with passenger cars (like the VW Passat noted above), most personal vehicles on the road today are of unibody construction. Damaged vehicles CAN
be mounted on so-called frame machines in order to try and straighten/align their unibody if needed. Results may vary...
Lol. No need to yell.

You are 100% correct. It’s a unibody construction.

However. I think “bent frame“ is often used as a colloquial expression for the more technically correct term “bent unibody”. Similarly, a frame straightening machine is not often (never?) called a unibody straightener.

I wouldn’t assume that everyone saying bent frame doesn‘t realize that its a unibody vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts

The Passat was a 2008 model so don’t know how it was constructed. The insurance company and body shop said the car would drive like new after being rear-ended, so we were really pleased. The car indeed drove perfectly fine for the following five years that we kept it. What we did not know at the time was how the insurance company reported this to public records. The carfax report came out as “frame damage” maybe for lack of a better term after realignment. Then dealers automatically discounted the car to salvage value. One dealer advised us later that after a major accident it’s best to request the insurance company for the car being totaled and to start all over OR request additional compensation for the significant loss in value which may be harder to contest. Your results or circumstances may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Update: Car is still being disassembled and a supplement being done. Collision shops are super backed up at the moment so it’s taking a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Update 3: 33k in damage after collision center inspection. Thankfully only subframe, rear suspension,exhaust, and cosmetic. No timeline on repair as parts availability is still an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Update 3: 33k in damage after collision center inspection. Thankfully only subframe, rear suspension,exhaust, and cosmetic. No timeline on repair as parts availability is still an issue.
I have not been in the front end of this discourse. My question pertains to the accident cause. If it was the other party there will be additional damage because of the severity to the value of the car via accident reports. You have to go against the damaging party for this additional damage.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts