Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
541 Posts
The car can be fixed back to essentially new, and may never have an issue (fingers crossed).

The only thought I would suggest from owning a damaged Macan (found out later after googling the vin) is will it hurt in the back of your mind if you fix it and keep it or will you not care.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
As to keep it or not..... here's my story

Back in the day before we locked cars all the time....

My car was stolen from the golf club....I reported it, police found it

I asked them to drop it at the dealer to have it checked over.... they did

That night, I went to the dealer to get it--
Aisle 3 - keys are in it - they said....

Nope.... gone again !!

Police got it again... same kids - twice in 2 days !!

Dealer asked me what I wanted this time.....

A new car , thank you... !!

·
Registered
2023 Macan T PPCZXKU2
41 Posts
That should be completely fixable. Seen a lot worse. its a new car so repair cost plus salvage value makes it a repair. Good news is you have a Certified Collision repair facility to take it to. They have seen worse for sure. you don't want to over react but you can't under react either. Let them fix it and then assess the cost of repair versus the finished product and then you can make an informed decision as opposed to an emotional decision. It sucks but ride it out and then decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man I hate that for you! On June 1st I was stopped in traffic on the interstate and got rear ended by a Suburban with a brush guard. Hit right on the rear hatch locking mechanism and buckled the hatch so that it was open on both sides. Still very drivable as long as it wasn’t raining and I had to drive it a week before being able to take it to the shop. I’m using the Porsche/Mercedes dealership shop that’s a certified Porsche shop. Statefarm estimate just from the photos I sent in was $4000. Once the shop took off the hatch and bumper, they found more damage and the cost to fix jumped to $13,500. Statefarm approved it and now I’m just waiting on parts. That’s the worst part, now because it’s so hard to get parts, the parts window is anywhere from 2-6 months. Here’s some pics- Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tree
Eye Automotive lighting Automotive tire Plant Tree
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Vehicle registration plate Plant Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tree
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Vehicle registration plate Plant Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tree

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Man I hate that for you! On June 1st I was stopped in traffic on the interstate and got rear ended by a Suburban with a brush guard. Hit right on the rear hatch locking mechanism and buckled the hatch so that it was open on both sides. Still very drivable as long as it wasn’t raining and I had to drive it a week before being able to take it to the shop. I’m using the Porsche/Mercedes dealership shop that’s a certified Porsche shop. Statefarm estimate just from the photos I sent in was $4000. Once the shop took off the hatch and bumper, they found more damage and the cost to fix jumped to $13,500. Statefarm approved it and now I’m just waiting on parts. That’s the worst part, now because it’s so hard to get parts, the parts window is anywhere from 2-6 months. Here’s some pics- View attachment 257348 View attachment 257349 View attachment 257350 View attachment 257351 View attachment 257352 View attachment 257348 View attachment 257349 View attachment 257350 View attachment 257351 View attachment 257352 View attachment 257348 View attachment 257349
That sucks. Body Shop said I shouldn’t even expect to have it sooner than 6 months.

·
Registered
14,064 Posts
That sucks. Body Shop said I shouldn’t even expect to have it sooner than 6 months.
. With the supply shortage I estimated nine months. Plus it means calling them repeatedly and dealing with general incompetence which seems to be the norm in most businesses in that kind of time period . Then you end up with a car that’s repaired but it’ll stick in the back of your mind it’s something is not perfect and it should be. I agree with many of the others that say it’s definitely fixable. I just can’t imagine going through the ordeal unless it was so outrageous to make the move and I don’t think it will be.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened.
B4 the accident, what were your plans for this new Macan?
Drive it for many years?
Trade it in a few years?

If you were planing on trading in a few years, you probably want to dump it & either order a new car or take a lot car.
If you were planning on owning it for 5 or 10+ years, wait to see what the Collision center says AFTER they disassemble it & the full damage is revealed.

Your insurance may cover the cost for you to rent a Macan during the many months waiting for the repair.
This Porsche Certified Collision center s/b able to fix it like new... if they say they can do it.

You may want to get your rental, shop lot cars online while waiting & if something close to what you want is available, decide to trade it for that lot car.

You need not decide now whether to keep it or trade it.

Good luck!

(Also try to ascertain exactly WTF happened to cause the loss of control. You do not want to repeat this event!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear this happened.
B4 the accident, what were your plans for this new Macan?
Drive it for many years?
Trade it in a few years?

If you were planing on trading in a few years, you probably want to dump it & either order a new car or take a lot car.
If you were planning on owning it for 5 or 10+ years, wait to see what the Collision center says AFTER they disassemble it & the full damage is revealed.

Your insurance may cover the cost for you to rent a Macan during the many months waiting for the repair.
This Porsche Certified Collision center s/b able to fix it like new... if they say they can do it.

You may want to get your rental, shop lot cars online while waiting & if something close to what you want is available, decide to trade it for that lot car.

You need not decide now whether to keep it or trade it.

Good luck!

(Also try to ascertain exactly WTF happened to cause the loss of control. You do not want to repeat this event!)
I wanted to keep and drive it for a few years. Luckily I don't need a rental as we have a few cars at our disposal. The GEICO adjuster is coming out tomorrow and I have the collision center preparing a quote as well off of pictures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This wasn’t supposed to be my first post on this forum, but I’m needing an opinion on what to do. Purchased a 2022 Macan GTS and as luck would have it, I managed to wreck it after 4 days. I was making a left turn at a T-intersection and the back of my car fish tailed and slammed into a boulder on the side of the road. Don’t know if it was because I took the turn too fast or the loose gravel caused me to lose traction. Either way, I’m super mad at myself as this was my dream car. Insurance adjuster is coming by this week for an estimate. Back wheel and lower left hand side below door on the passenger side took most of the hit. Back wheel is completely pushed in towards the rear, I have a suspension fault on the dash, back bumper is partially torn, trunk is now out of alignment, interior panel in trunk came off and will not go back on. Also took a nasty dent on the drivers side fender/hood when I tried to regain control and bounced off another boulder. Judging by the photos, would you all say this is totaled or fixable? If fixable, how much of a hit would the value take and is it even worth keeping it? I can’t claim diminished value since it’s my fault. View attachment 257322
View attachment 257321
View attachment 257320
View attachment 257319
View attachment 257318
View attachment 257317
View attachment 257316
Walk then run quickly to get rid of this asap !

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a similar experience on the front passenger side which is worse than this. so my estimate based on the look would be $30k-40k repair. Therefore, if this is a new car ACV might be 100k? Then it’s hard to say if insurance would total it, I forgot what’s the threshold nowadays for total loss. But I think total will be a better choice for you if you can.

·
Vendor
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
537 Posts
This wasn’t supposed to be my first post on this forum, but I’m needing an opinion on what to do. Purchased a 2022 Macan GTS and as luck would have it, I managed to wreck it after 4 days. I was making a left turn at a T-intersection and the back of my car fish tailed and slammed into a boulder on the side of the road. Don’t know if it was because I took the turn too fast or the loose gravel caused me to lose traction. Either way, I’m super mad at myself as this was my dream car. Insurance adjuster is coming by this week for an estimate. Back wheel and lower left hand side below door on the passenger side took most of the hit. Back wheel is completely pushed in towards the rear, I have a suspension fault on the dash, back bumper is partially torn, trunk is now out of alignment, interior panel in trunk came off and will not go back on. Also took a nasty dent on the drivers side fender/hood when I tried to regain control and bounced off another boulder. Judging by the photos, would you all say this is totaled or fixable? If fixable, how much of a hit would the value take and is it even worth keeping it? I can’t claim diminished value since it’s my fault. View attachment 257322
View attachment 257321
View attachment 257320
View attachment 257319
View attachment 257318
View attachment 257317
View attachment 257316
So sorry man. When I saw the title of your post, I was afraid to click. The type and amount of damage imparted required a lot of [kinetic] energy, so you very likely were going too fast for the conditions. On what little bright side there is here, you can consider this a signal from the universe that you need to dial your driving back a little. Learning this lesson now may have saved your life due to a future, MUCH more serious crash that you won’t have now! 🙂

·
Registered
19 Posts
View attachment 257321
View attachment 257320
View attachment 257319
View attachment 257318
View attachment 257317
View attachment 257316
Now, that is a sad story. I owned an Audi A4, someone turned in front of me, and I t boned him. He had potatoes in his trunk that then flew out and totaled a vintage Camaro. I survived but the State Patrol guys had a hard time not laughing. My car was totaled with frame damage and 18 months later, my dealer called me to say someone purchased the car (what??) and found the dealers name. The new owner wanted to speak with me about the car. I declined. I agree with getting it fixed, trading it in, buy a new one and chalk it up to an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update: Body Shop quoted me $22,500 just after pictures and talking to them, but said it will probably be more after taking apart the car. Insurance Adjuster is coming out tomorrow. Decided to ship the car to Metropolitan Collision in Houston if it's not totaled. Great reviews, Porsche Certified, and my parents still live there so I can have someone go to the Collision center if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was rear ended 12/13/2021 a 2018 Macan S with 20,000 miles
Insurance offered $64,000 and they would keep the car. Or $24,000, could keep the car and have it repaired myself, but would have a salvaged title. The Porsche Certified Repair shop said it would cost $25,000 to repair. They also told me the SUV would be successful repaired because of the Unibody construction.
Decided getting the car repaired would leave me a lot of money in a car with a salvaged title.
I took the 64,000, found a loaner on sale at my local Porsche dealer with 7,000 miles, had to add more funds, but purchased the car 12/24/2021. It doesn't have all the options as my old SVU, but I can live with that. I am so lucky I even found a car. There were only 7 Macan S's in all of California for sale last December. Was told the 2022 would not be available until the summer of 22.

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
189 Posts
Suspension damage is a fairly easy fix, unbolt damaged parts, attach new ones. The more difficult repair is if the inner body structure, made of high strength steel, is damaged. That can be very difficult to fix, and may not be able to be fixed to Porsche's structural standards. Exterior body panels, hatch alignment, etc are not too hard to fix if the underlying unibody integrity is still there.

So yes, a lot can come to light upon disassembly.

Reactions: EPTXGTS
21 - 40 of 59 Posts