Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This wasn’t supposed to be my first post on this forum, but I’m needing an opinion on what to do. Purchased a 2022 Macan GTS and as luck would have it, I managed to wreck it after 4 days. I was making a left turn at a T-intersection and the back of my car fish tailed and slammed into a boulder on the side of the road. Don’t know if it was because I took the turn too fast or the loose gravel caused me to lose traction. Either way, I’m super mad at myself as this was my dream car. Insurance adjuster is coming by this week for an estimate. Back wheel and lower left hand side below door on the passenger side took most of the hit. Back wheel is completely pushed in towards the rear, I have a suspension fault on the dash, back bumper is partially torn, trunk is now out of alignment, interior panel in trunk came off and will not go back on. Also took a nasty dent on the drivers side fender/hood when I tried to regain control and bounced off another boulder. Judging by the photos, would you all say this is totaled or fixable? If fixable, how much of a hit would the value take and is it even worth keeping it? I can’t claim diminished value since it’s my fault.

Update: Body Shop quoted me $22,500 just after pictures and talking to them, but said it will probably be more after taking apart the car. Insurance Adjuster is coming out tomorrow. Decided to ship the car to Metropolitan Collision in Houston if it's not totaled. Great reviews, Porsche Certified, and my parents still live there so I can have someone go to the Collision center if needed.

Update 2: Geico is not totaling the car, but agreed that it needs to be repaired at a Porsche Certified Collision Center. Will be towing it to Houston next week to Metropolitan Collision.

Update 3: 33k in damage after collision center inspection. Thankfully only subframe, rear suspension,exhaust, and cosmetic. No timeline on repair as parts availability is still an issue.

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Trunk

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light

Grille Vehicle Car Hood Tire

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh man I am very sorry to see this. This could be fixable depending if the frame is bent on the rear. If this were me I would get it fixed and trade it and order a new one. Nothing is better then factory paint and you will know you will have no problems later on. To me all body shops are a big scam. They start with a small estimate then find more. Then wait for approval. Then find more. Somewhere along the line they damage more parts taking things off then the actual repair
I wish you the best of luck on this one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man I am very sorry to see this. This could be fixable depending if the frame is bent on the rear. If this were me I would get it fixed and trade it and order a new one. Nothing is better then factory paint and you will know you will have no problems later on. To me all body shops are a big scam. They start with a small estimate then find more. Then wait for approval. Then find more. Somewhere along the line they damage more parts taking things off then the actual repair
I wish you the best of luck on this one.
Thanks. Luckily no one was hurt and the airbags did not deploy. I plan on taking it to Autobahn Collision in Chandler, AZ which is the closest Porsche certified collision center near El Paso.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident :(

I got my car to fishtail from oversteer a couple times coming out of u-turn onto a service road. Really caught me off guard, since I’d done the same maneuver in RWD cars without drama. Could have just been my poor driving but the second time it happened it shook me up a bit.

·
Registered
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
202 Posts
I feel for you. That looks like a good hit! Hard to say how bad it is until the frame damage is assessed. That’s what’d concern me the most. It looks like the hatch gaps are way off meaning the entire rear is shifted which is a really bad sign. I’m hoping they write it off for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
IIRC, there's no frame for the Macan. These vehicles are unibody construction - as cars have been for several decades.

As noted above (less the slam against body shops) as panels are removed, it is likely that additional damage will be revealed.
You note that your Macan collided with boulders - which have little give to them. What gives is the vehicle.

All wheel drive is not rear wheel drive, as observed above. It's not going to respond the same way. The whole idea of AWD is to
prevent the loss of traction and perform power transfer to corners where it remains.

I do not see where the Air Suspension system has anything at all to do with what happened here. It would appear to be a case of too much
power applied to a low traction surface possibly followed by an over correction in steering. If/when these vehicles get loose, it's 400+ HP, a short
wheelbase and 4500 lbs. of vehicle to deal with.

It is most unfortunate this event occurred after such a short period of ownership and unfamiliarity with the Macan.

Forum members can only best guess the cost of repair. These vehicles are tightly packed, with very little free space. A crumple on
the outside of a body panel most likely means there's additional internal damage as well. This is why insurance adjusters exist!

If you search the forum you'll find posts of damaged Macans and repair costs provided. A few years ago, someone posted about their parked
Macan being struck. I think it was pushed into another vehicle parked in front of it, so both ends of the Macan sustained significant damage.
It ended up being totaled.

Is the rear lid completely closed in the last photo? If so, there's something definitely amiss as it's not correctly aligned on both sides...

Find a Porsche-approved body shop in your area (it's not specified in your avatar) and insist they perform the required repairs for your Macan.

Hopefully you have gap insurance or a small note on the vehicle or own it outright! The best thing is there's no personal injury in the equation!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC, there's no frame for the Macan. These vehicles are unibody construction - as cars have been for several decades.

As noted above (less the slam against body shops) as panels are removed, it is likely that additional damage will be revealed.
You note that your Macan collided with boulders - which have little give to them. What gives is the vehicle.

All wheel drive is not rear wheel drive, as observed above. It's not going to respond the same way. The whole idea of AWD is to
prevent the loss of traction and perform power transfer to corners where it remains.

I do not see where the Air Suspension system has anything at all to do with what happened here. It would appear to be a case of too much
power applied to a low traction surface possibly followed by an over correction in steering. If/when these vehicles get loose, it's 400+ HP, a short
wheelbase and 4500 lbs. of vehicle to deal with.

It is most unfortunate this event occurred after such a short period of ownership and unfamiliarity with the Macan.

Forum members can only best guess the cost of repair. These vehicles are tightly packed, with very little free space. A crumple on
the outside of a body panel most likely means there's additional internal damage as well. This is why insurance adjusters exist!

If you search the forum you'll find posts of damaged Macans and repair costs provided. A few years ago, someone posted about their parked
Macan being struck. I think it was pushed into another vehicle parked in front of it, so both ends of the Macan sustained significant damage.
It ended up being totaled.

Is the rear lid completely closed in the last photo? If so, there's something definitely amiss as it's not correctly aligned on both sides...

Find a Porsche-approved body shop in your area (it's not specified in your avatar) and insist they perform the required repairs for your Macan.

Hopefully you have gap insurance or a small note on the vehicle or own it outright! The best thing is there's no personal injury in the equation!!

Good luck!
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. Got the Gap insurance fortunately. Rear lid was not closing completely due to the interior panel being loose, but even completely closed there are still alignment issues, just not as visible. It’s sticking out on the side that got hit and sits lower on the driver’s side. I did search through the posts, but wasn’t entirely sure as the vehicle is brand new. Updated my Avatar with location and will be taking the vehicle to Autobahn Collision in Chandler, AZ. They are Porsche certified.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow that sucks! Were you on a gravel road or just some loose gravel on the pavement? I assume you were in a mode that had traction control off? Bummer dude, hope it gets fixed right!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a chance that the switch for leveling has broken off..( Rear Right ) causing that car to sit low and giving a fault code..
The bright side is that you walkaway from it.. Hope it works out.. Good luck
Cheers !

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
I have a suspension fault on the dash, back bumper is partially torn, trunk is now out of alignment, interior panel in trunk came off and will not go back on. Also took a nasty dent on the drivers side fender/hood when I tried to regain control and bounced off another boulder. Judging by the photos, would you all say this is totaled or fixable? If fixable, how much of a hit would the value take and is it even worth keeping it?
I know what I would do .
1) I would get an adjuster estimate as well as a trade in number in crashed condition . That will give an idea of how bad the loss could be if you dumped it tomorrow . (BTW these guys know I dumped one of my cars and picked one off the lot a few years ago . It was a hit but not the most horrible hit.)

I am guessing a potential broken axle . door panel and bumper can be fixed , Emotionally it cant ever be the same . Unless it priced me far so out of my league I would not keep it .

Heres my guess .. after negotiating with dealership and insurance you lost 20K and have to wait 8 months for a new car . Consider the boulder cost equivalent to an engagement ring . Its a big rock that cost a lot of money .

You could fix it and drive it into the ground. . I myself could not do it . I wolud have to get out .

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
There is a chance that the switch for leveling has broken off..( Rear Right ) causing that car to sit low and giving a fault code..
The bright side is that you walkaway from it.. Hope it works out.. Good luck
Cheers !

...there's more than that - look at the strange toe angle of that right rear wheel...

control arm? more?

It comes down to repair and live with or hope for a total loss and start over again, as Larry pointed out above. Insurance company
position balanced against personal preferences.

Glad to hear there's a Porsche certified collision center in your area!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very sorry to see this. The best news is that you are ok. Cars come and go. I had an audi s4 that I ended up in a similar predicament The car was a year old (not brand new). I lost control on ice and hit the parking deck pavement at work. The after math looked similar (different cars) to the damage you have shown on your GTS. The controls arms, other suspension parts and body work had to be repaired but in the end the car was fine. I held on to it for the rest of the lease. I was not concerned about diminished value etc. But the world is going crazy, who knows what the car will be worth. If the damage is repairable, maybe you are better off having the car (given current wait times for a new one). Plus you don't have to baby the paint any more :) and drive it more relaxed fashion. Paint is a hard thing to protect. the occasional parking cart, deer on the road, tire on the highway... too many variables.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hope it can be fixed to your satisfaction. Having slid months old Boxster into a guardrail, I know how it feels. I fixed and kept it a while, but never looked at it the same way.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear.

The gravel must have played a factor, as I've never had the rear end on my car slide out of control like that during spirited driving. However, I do have PTV+, so not sure how much of a factor that is.

·
Registered
14,062 Posts
If this helps this is what I did . In fact I did it twice in my life . The first time the destroyed car was on a tow truck . The Macan time was much less than. yours and I still dumped it !!!

1) Your adjuster will determine a price to fix it . The dealership likely will send the car to auction . They dont want it but they will take it . In my Macan case it was a 92K Turbo and they offered me 60 . The car was 8 months old with 13K miles (needed new tires) . Damage was 3500 . If I traded in an 8 month old Macan Turbo at the time wholesale price was 67K .

2) Insurance paid the 3500 to the dealership who immediately reimbursed it to me . So I got 63500 on a car that would have traded for 67.

3) The same day (the day after the rear end accident with a sore neck) I walked the lot of cars . I knew I would not find one like my custom order car but I also knew its never bad to drive a new car even. if it lacks an option or two . I found a 76K Macan GTS (prices in 2017 were different ) . I got a discount to 71K . It missing a few options but who cares !! No fixing this or that and done !!

I bought it on the spot .

Here are the pics ... The third pic is where the destroyed car is parked next to the new one . So liberating . Its an immediate reversal from a negative back to positive with some slight adjustments .
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Shorts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I would trade it and order a new one. Unfortunately your car will never be the same again. If it was just metal, although that sucks, it would be fine. Replace a door or a panel, get it painted and move on. In your case who knows the unseen damage and that will be there forever. Biggest problem is that a new car is not available now so you will get back into the waiting line.

Reactions: EPTXGTS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really sorry to see this, but glad you are okay. Cars are fixable and replaceable. A good Porsche Certified body shop can do wonders. As an above poster said, don't be surprised if additional issues are found when they are taking the car apart though. Psychologically you might feel like the car won't look and drive the same, but if done by a certified shop it absolutely will; they have to use OEM parts and they will tell you right upfront if something can't be repaired fully. If you decide to keep the car, I'm of the view it can be quite liberating; you'll no longer be inclined to baby the car and I've always found I enjoy cars much more that way!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts