Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Letter says ECU will be updated to help ensure proper emissions calibration at engine start up. Guess Porsche is doing what they do best, fudge the numbers so car shows better emissions than it really has. :mad:

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts
2022 Base, build date was November 2021.
There were posts earlier this year about a stop sale due to ECU software update. Perhaps your Macan was delivered prior to that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to the dealer today to pick up a check for my car, they mentioned all the 2022 macans are currently on stop sale. I wonder if they are going to detune this further. anyone here know the specifics on the ecu update?

·
Registered
49 Posts
it is a software update, you should be able to do that when your Macan is connected to your home wi fi ??
Not a chance, OTA updates wont apply to ECU and/or drivability updates. Those types of updates require the car be connected to a 12V power source, etc when you do these. There is a risk of bricking the ECU if things don't go right; so they will only be handled by the dealer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's just doing it automatically over cell connection all the time... I don't think it does it over WiFi.
Yes. I second this. I have noticed the maps updating when I’m on the road with no wifi. That said I have a 2022. Not sure if older models were equipped with cell service built in.
As for the changes. I would be interested to see if it’s a net positive or negative for performance. Also can a dealer just automatically update the ecu without consent ? When I eventually bring the car in for the one-year service, I want to make sure I don’t come out of the shop and lose 20 hp without knowing about it.

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
459 Posts
Yes. I second this. I have noticed the maps updating when I’m on the road with no wifi. That said I have a 2022. Not sure if older models were equipped with cell service built in.
As for the changes. I would be interested to see if it’s a net positive or negative for performance. Also can a dealer just automatically update the ecu without consent ? When I eventually bring the car in for the one-year service, I want to make sure I don’t come out of the shop and lose 20 hp without knowing about it.
The real question is could the Dealer ethically let you come in and not update your software?

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Its time to end this speculation. This is how you find out what is going on. Yes its about emissions. Since its been reported to the NHTSA by law, they are going to do its probably because if they don't, they violate the Clean Air Act - thats a guess. Follow along and then we don't have to speculate.

go to Recalls | NHTSA

Click the Vehicle tab and enter your car just like asked, e.g. 2022 Porsche Macan

On the page that comes up, you will see there are 35 car maker communications to the NHTSA. Click on that number, 35 . Now you can scroll through seven pages of items that Porsche communicated to the NHTSA, by law. They are ordered by date. Do NOT go by the title. The title might not tell you exactly what is going on. You got to read them. Since two are recent, May 27, I suspect its one of those two, so lets look at them. Click on the first +

Coolant loss. That doesn't sound ECU related, whats the next one?

Reprogramming the DME. Sounds like a winner. Whats it say?
Click on effected products. It says 2022 Macan. Sounds right
Click on the documents, there is one PDF. Lets see what it says
WND8 - Re-Programming DME Control Unit (Workshop Campaign) Well that sounds right. Whats in it? Sounds like the programmers messed up and there is a possible programming error so the cats don't quickly heat up.

You know that cool sound when these cars start up that everyone wants to always have? AFAIK thats the cats heating up as quickly as possible so emissions are as low as possible. Looks like a programming bug they had to fix, otherwise, well read the current lawsuits and settlements on existing Macans. One might presume they want this fixed ASAP.

And now, hopefully, we all know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reprogramming the DME. Sounds like a winner. Whats it say?
Click on effected products. It says 2022 Macan. Sounds right
Click on the documents, there is one PDF. Lets see what it says
WND8 - Re-Programming DME Control Unit (Workshop Campaign) Well that sounds right. Whats in it? Sounds like the programmers messed up and there is a possible programming error so the cats don't quickly heat up.

You know that cool sound when these cars start up that everyone wants to always have? AFAIK thats the cats heating up as quickly as possible so emissions are as low as possible. Looks like a programming bug they had to fix, otherwise, well read the current lawsuits and settlements on existing Macans. One might presume they want this fixed ASAP.

And now, hopefully, we all know.
They tried to fixed it back in February but apparently that didn't completely resolve the issue.

February 16, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: NO. 13-22
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING, ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, EQUIPMENT

NHTSA ID Number: 10208636
Manufacturer Communication Number: No. 13-22
Summary
Technical information on recall campaign WNA3 - reprograming DME control unit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And on what basis are the “fudging the numbers” comments being made? Sorry, I just have an issue with careless throw away lines like this. Like referring to “stealerships”. Over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts