Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
As summer is coming, I find the AC in my brand new Macan 2022 is not working well.
AC in all three zones keeps blowing hot air. The outside temperature is about 20 degree Celsius. After sitting under the sun for a while, the inside gets really hot. I turn the AC to 16 degree or “Low” but it still blows hot air.
Does this sound normal?

I booked a service appointment for the next available slot-in 3 weeks, just wanted to see how the AC behaves in your Macan in this type of weather.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,532 Posts
Porsche A/C works but is usually not instant cold like a Honda . However if you are continuously blowing hot air its usually either a freon leak or a defective part . Since Florida is so hot the dealership usually has them in stock and the repair is immediate (1 day) . Once repaired its fine . They will get it working . Its not uncommon especially in regions where it's used all year round .

·
Registered
Macan GTS 2022
93 Posts
Hi guys,
As summer is coming, I find the AC in my brand new Macan 2022 is not working well.
AC in all three zones keeps blowing hot air. The outside temperature is about 20 degree Celsius. After sitting under the sun for a while, the inside gets really hot. I turn the AC to 16 degree or “Low” but it still blows hot air.
Does this sound normal?

I booked a service appointment for the next available slot-in 3 weeks, just wanted to see how the AC behaves in your Macan in this type of weather.

thanks in advance!
I had the same problem and it was because the A/C button (top right, passenger side basically) was not turned on!
Car Gear shift Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel

cheers!

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
BTW, Freon is no longer used!

Is Freon used still?

To help protect the ozone layer, the EPA has mandated that the production of Freon be stopped by January 2020. The good news is that new air conditioning
systems made since 2010 no longer rely on Freon. Most newer AC units use a refrigerant called R410A, or Puron.
Apr 7, 2019

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
BTW, Freon is no longer used! These are what’s used in house hold application.
F

Is Freon used still?

To help protect the ozone layer, the EPA has mandated that the production of Freon be stopped by January 2020. The good news is that new air conditioning
systems made since 2010 no longer rely on Freon. Most newer AC units use a refrigerant called R410A, or Puron.
Apr 7, 2019
Yes it is called Freon. R410 is being used until 2023 then it will change to R32 after that. This is for home applications.
For automotive application R12 was commonly used but several years ago it was replaced switch R134a. This happened back in1994 so all Macans will be using R134a.

jNow in 2021 Auto makers switched to the new refrigerant is R1234yf.
In any case make sure what you currently have in your car’s system as they are in many cases NOT interchangeable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I went to service today and was told there is a sensor issue. They have ordered the parts that come from Germany in 3-4 weeks. Luckily, Canadian summer just started, not that hot yet. I could open my window to solve this issue temporarily

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Update: I went to service today and was told there is a sensor issue. They have ordered the parts that come from Germany in 3-4 weeks. Luckily, Canadian summer just started, not that hot yet. I could open my window to solve this issue temporarily
Fortunately your not in Phoenix over 100 degrees Fahrenheit all next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the exact problem on my '22 S. Sensor replaced and they drained/replaced the coolant and A/C worked as normal. So many silly issues - I've had to take the car in for servicing 4-5 times on a brand new car! The supply chain disruptions are really affecting quality.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the exact problem on my '22 S. Sensor replaced and they drained/replaced the coolant and A/C worked as normal. So many silly issues - I've had to take the car in for servicing 4-5 times on a brand new car! The supply chain disruptions are really affecting quality.
Yep! It is really annoying. How long was the wait for the part (sensor) to come? My dealership has to order it from Germany which takes 3-4 weeks. I think my sensor has been faulty from manufacturing. My car was manufactured and delivered in Winter. No one really got a chance to inspect the AC until the summer comes.

·
Registered
‘22 Macan S Chalk, 17 911 Cab 4 Graphite Blue
26 Posts
What are some other things you had come up and when did you get your car? Mine was just delivered to the dealer in Chicago area and I’m picking it up tomorrow (Locked early feb).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep! It is really annoying. How long was the wait for the part (sensor) to come? My dealership has to order it from Germany which takes 3-4 weeks. I think my sensor has been faulty from manufacturing. My car was manufactured and delivered in Winter. No one really got a chance to inspect the AC until the summer comes.
Took about 2 weeks for sensor to arrive. You'd think the basic functions would have been tested at factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are some other things you had come up and when did you get your car? Mine was just delivered to the dealer in Chicago area and I’m picking it up tomorrow (Locked early feb).
A/C sensor issue, 3 times for steering column issue (clicking), heated steering wheel not working after they replaced part of steering column.

·
Registered
2019 2.0L Sapphire Blue side blades, Beige Leather interior
17 Posts
The fault raised here has highlighted a minor annoyance with the design of the Macan's ventilation system : It would appear that the air intake for the air con is inside the engine bay so that even on a cool or mild day, if you want a bit of cool outside air once the cabin has warmed up, if you turn the fan on (non recirculating) with the temp set to LO, all you get is warm air because the engine bay is also now hot. Older cars had the air intake at the bottom of the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
The fault raised here has highlighted a minor annoyance with the design of the Macan's ventilation system : It would appear that the air intake for the air con is inside the engine bay so that even on a cool or mild day, if you want a bit of cool outside air once the cabin has warmed up, if you turn the fan on (non recirculating) with the temp set to LO, all you get is warm air because the engine bay is also now hot. Older cars had the air intake at the bottom of the windscreen.
What is considered 'older'?

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Every car I have owned prior to my Macan had grilled vents around the windscreen wipers that had access to ambient air. (Just had a look at photos of my previous Mazda 6)
Do you suppose the Porsche Macan design might be trying to get around the snow collection problem the exposed vents created? I am just comparing the difference.

·
Registered
2019 2.0L Sapphire Blue side blades, Beige Leather interior
17 Posts
Do you suppose the Porsche Macan design might be trying to get around the snow collection problem the exposed vents created? I am just comparing the difference.
You may be right - that is not a problem we have in 99% of Australia. Having the intake at the front or lower down in the engine bay might solve both issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this exact issue pop up on the weekend. was driving and working fine, all of a sudden it stopped working, starting blowing hot air and fogged up the entire car as it was raining outside. driving with windows open in the rain is not really an option, so had to put the heat up to get the car to defrost to be able to see out the windows. I drove for about 20 minutes, pulled over and tried restarting the car, upon restarting the AC was working again normally. The next day, it worked on my drive leaving home, but stopped working on the drive back, and subsequent restarts didnt "fix" it like it did the first time. Took it in and they confirmed a sensor needs to be replaced, was told it should be in this week. Pretty surprising to have such an issue on a car ive owned less than 2 months.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts