Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
I just configured a 2022 GTS equivalent to our soon to be delivered 2021 turbo. Only differences are PSCB (no longer available) and RaceTex headliner (standard on turbo) which accounts for about $5k. Our turbo config is just shy of $112k. The 2022 GTS came in at just under $102k. I’m tempted to cancel our Mamba green turbo and reorder a Papaya GTS. Of course delivery would now be out to next spring . . .

Sigh.
I would get the 22 . 10k saved and a model year newer is a significant savings . The only potential issue is your trade . It will become older . It’s still worth it IMO .

·
Registered
97 Posts
a 112k macan was never going to be a good purchase even if you're Bezos wealthy. I would cancel
What do you recommend as the next step up? That's how I ended up with a $95K Boxster S back in '13 (which I still enjoy.) There was nothing competitive until the Ferrari 458 level, which was (and is) out of budgetary consideration.

With the Macan, there is nowhere else to go except maybe the Cayenne. Spending more money for 500 additional pounds and a Tiptronic doesn't exactly sound rational, either. Curious to hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I just configured a 2022 GTS equivalent to our soon to be delivered 2021 turbo. Only differences are PSCB (no longer available) and RaceTex headliner (standard on turbo) which accounts for about $5k. Our turbo config is just shy of $112k. The 2022 GTS came in at just under $102k. I’m tempted to cancel our Mamba green turbo and reorder a Papaya GTS. Of course delivery would now be out to next spring . . .

Sigh.
You may want to print out your 2022 GTS build & also your ordered 2021 Turbo & show it to your salesman side by side & ask why yours is so much more expensive? Tell him you're wondering if you should cancel & order the 2022.
One thought I have is you are comparing a Turbo (top of the line) to a GTS (2nd from top of the line)

Not exactly Apples to Apples.

Did you also configure a 2022 Turbo? (IDK if that is even available to configure/order yet)

So, you estimate a 5K difference from 2 items; PSCB & RT headliner.

That leaves you with an "unexplained" $5k difference with your MY2021 Turbo @ 5k more than a MY2022 GTS.

Is having a Turbo, with the extra HP, worth $5K to you?
What about the fact that you will get it sooner & obviously loved your option choices, since you spent $112K.

Maybe your salesman will have some insight as to why the price is higher for your MY2021. He may also sweeten the deal somehow.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: Porsche Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may want to print out your 2022 GTS build & also your ordered 2021 Turbo & show it to your salesman side by side & ask why yours is so much more expensive? Tell him you're wondering if you should cancel & order the 2022.
One thought I have is you are comparing a Turbo (top of the line) to a GTS (2nd from top of the line)

Not exactly Apples to Apples.

Did you also configure a 2022 Turbo? (IDK if that is even available to configure/order yet)

So, you estimate a 5K difference from 2 items; PSCB & RT headliner.

That leaves you with an "unexplained" $5k difference with your MY2021 Turbo @ 5k more than a MY2022 GTS.

Is having a Turbo, with the extra HP, worth $5K to you?
What about the fact that you will get it sooner & obviously loved your option choices, since you spent $112K.

Maybe your salesman will have some insight as to why the price is higher for your MY2021. He may also sweeten the deal somehow.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
There is no 2022 Turbo model. The 2022 GTS power matched the 2021 Turbo specs.

The 2022 GTS is probably the better purchase, unless you really want buttons on the console and you like the bumper designs & wheels better on the 2021 version, but even still I'm not sure that makes up the price difference plus the extra year.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

Sigh.
Sorry, but those are not the "only differences". Although I still see no reason for me to upgrade my 2015 S to a half baked updated model I would never get the delivery of a 21 Macan when a 22 is out there with significant differences. Look at the interior and exterior and you will know the difference between a 21 and a 22. For the money you are spending I would get the 22 or you will always be pissed when you park next to a 22 model with your 21.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If I could get out of the 2021, I would opt for the 2022. Lease some cheap car to get around in for the year.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
As a person who had to drive mazda 6 for 5 hours this weekend I will highly not recommend this approach. .
At the end of the day you have to be happy with your purchase. Spending $100k+ you better be extremely happy. Back in 2015 when I ordered my Macan I could not wait to get the car. However, there was a long wait and it was not easy. I spent months reading this Forum and doing my homework and finally placed an order that was perfect for me. Then I had to wait almost 4 months to get my car. During that wait, dealer got some Macans and offered them to me if I wanted to get a car sooner. Although very tempting, none were close to my build and I knew that of I got one if those cars I would always have in mind that I should have waited for my car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
At the end of the day you have to be happy with your purchase. Spending $100k+ you better be extremely happy. Back in 2015 when I ordered my Macan I could not wait to get the car. However, there was a long wait and it was not easy. I spent months reading this Forum and doing my homework and finally placed an order that was perfect for me. Then I had to wait almost 4 months to get my car. During that wait, dealer got some Macans and offered them to me if I wanted to get a car sooner. Although very tempting, none were close to my build and I knew that of I got one of those cars I would always have in mind that I should have waited for my car.
I understand that. However, a suggestion to drive a cheap car for a year is not the best one. This will result in expenses close to $10 000 which could be used for the macan. 1 year in a macan > 1 year in a mazda.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
There is nothing wrong with 110k macan.
I just can't see spending more than $96K MSRP on a new 2022 very well equipped Macan GTS....and that's with all the performance options (Sports Chrono, PTV+), ACC, LCA, Surround View, and some fluff as well.

In the end though, it's all about what you really want, right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
''With no insights into who we are, how we live, and what we value I hardly think you are in a position to judge our decision making.'' this is extremely well said and I couldn't agree more.

That being said, I have an order for 2021 GTS and I spent so many hours on configurator since July 20th. But whatever I do, I couldn't keep myself under MY psychological threshold of 100k with 22 GTS. Papaya orange, new wheels and better thought interior color/stiching options gave me sleepless nights but I will just stick to my order. I know that I will be getting a cob tune and new wheels for my 21 GTS at some point and spend that difference (21-22 price difference) anyway but just not upfront.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just can't see spending more than $96K MSRP on a new 2022 very well equipped Macan GTS....and that's with all the performance options (Sports Chrono, PTV+), ACC, LCA, Surround View, and some fluff as well.

In the end though, it's all about what you really want, right?
Well if you are ready to spend $96k now and advise is to wait another year driving a cheap car which will result in say $10k expense why not add $106k macan now? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Well if you are ready to spend $96k now and advise is to wait another year driving a cheap car which will result in say $10k expense why not add $106k macan now? :unsure:
I was only commenting on the price of a new 2022 GTS, and how I personally wouldn't go above $96K MSRP....

·
Registered
295 Posts
What do you recommend as the next step up? That's how I ended up with a $95K Boxster S back in '13 (which I still enjoy.) There was nothing competitive until the Ferrari 458 level, which was (and is) out of budgetary consideration.

With the Macan, there is nowhere else to go except maybe the Cayenne. Spending more money for 500 additional pounds and a Tiptronic doesn't exactly sound rational, either. Curious to hear your suggestions.
My suggestion was that less can be more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just to add my tangential 2 cents. I currently have a '21 GTS on order and was playing around with a '22 GTS. I know it is not a turbo comparison, but it does seem for like spec, '22 may actually come out cheaper, especially if it includes PSCB as standard.

Do I regret placing a '21 order? Maybe, maybe not. I can see benefits and drawbacks either way, but I have also been waiting since May for a Sept build and Nov delivery. Also, my family seems to prefer the physical buttons, so figured it is the last chance to get them before it all goes haptic feedback. I really don't like the button argument as I think it is overblown. But, how often does one keep their vehicles? 3 years, 5 years, 7 years? By the time changing a car rolls around, there will be other choices and we will be back at it again. By that time, I may actually like electric cars and the electric Macan will be a huge hit, who knows....

I digress...human's have an innate ability to hold onto and romanticize the past. I recall when N/A's were going away and everything is going turbo-charged. Everyone was up in arms. But now, sure we would love N/A, but we also love to get a turbo-charged vehicle rather than electric. What is beyond electric? Who knows. The core realization is life is short, enjoy what you can get now and go to the next thing 5 years later.

'21 spec ($98,130): The Porsche Code

'22 Spec ($98,580): The Porsche Code

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
169 Posts
Just to add my tangential 2 cents. I currently have a '21 GTS on order and was playing around with a '22 GTS. I know it is not a turbo comparison, but it does seem for like spec, '22 may actually come out cheaper, especially if it includes PSCB as standard.

Do I regret placing a '21 order? Maybe, maybe not. I can see benefits and drawbacks either way, but I have also been waiting since May for a Sept build and Nov delivery. Also, my family seems to prefer the physical buttons, so figured it is the last chance to get them before it all goes haptic feedback. I really don't like the button argument as I think it is overblown. But, how often does one keep their vehicles? 3 years, 5 years, 7 years? By the time changing a car rolls around, there will be other choices and we will be back at it again. By that time, I may actually like electric cars and the electric Macan will be a huge hit, who knows....

I digress...human's have an innate ability to hold onto and romanticize the past. I recall when N/A's were going away and everything is going turbo-charged. Everyone was up in arms. But now, sure we would love N/A, but we also love to get a turbo-charged vehicle rather than electric. What is beyond electric? Who knows. The core realization is life is short, enjoy what you can get now and go to the next thing 5 years later.

Do you currently have a Macan? If yes, I would consider waiting for the '22 model, that is a lot of car for the money.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
Agree! 2022MY is better overall.

·
Registered
385 Posts

My 21 GTS build as a 22 GTS is over $7000 more. No regrets on my 21.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts