Porsche Macan Forum banner

2022 Base Macan 70.5 K vs Macan S 71.5K

• Base Macan - Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sun roof and premium pack

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Macan S - Miami blue and Sun roof

Votes: 24 75.0%
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I live in the USA and planning to order a 2022 Macan and I loved the Miami blue with 20/21 inch wheels.

Looking at the configurations, I've added all the options I will be using/needed for the base and it came to 70.5K (Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sunroof, and premium pack)
Porsche code:pNBRRLQ5
Out of curiosity, I Configured Macan S with basic options for me(Miami blue and sunroof a must) and that came to 71.5 K (Miami blue and Sunroof)
Porsche Code:pNXSUHV8
Agree that Macan has the outdated tech, but having no tech with base-Macan S might feel like driving a really old car (like lane departure, adaptive cruise, 360 cams, self-parking). Also agree that Macan S got the better engine, but I'm looking for fun-packed long rides but not for a really fast car around the corners. I drive a Mustang GT PP Manual for all the fun ;)

Coming back to my question, am I overkilling the config with too many options that don't hold value down the lane when I sell it in like 5 years? will this be even a good idea to spend this much or will it not hold any value compared to the base Macan with a decent config for around 60-62 K?

On a side note, I noticed that for highly-optioned cars with like 10K+ extras, websites like carsandbids may give you more money than the regular dealers or online dealers as their software doesn't have many options to specify you have these many extra options configured. E.g. if I try to get a quote for Macan, it doesn't give an option for Miami blue all it has is a couple of blues which are $700 compared to Miami blue $3k.

Planning to Order one in Jan. Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I have had both and enthusiastically endorse the Macan S. The base is great but I really miss the S if similarly specced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I live in the USA and planning to order a 2022 Macan and I loved the Miami blue with 20/21 inch wheels.

Looking at the configurations, I've added all the options I will be using/needed for the base and it came to 70.5K (Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sunroof, and premium pack)
Out of curiosity, I Configured Macan S with basic options for me(Miami blue and sunroof a must) and that came to 71.5 K (Miami blue and Sunroof)
Agree that Macan has the outdated tech, but having no tech with base-Macan S might feel like driving a really old car (like lane departure, adaptive cruise, 360 cams, self-parking). Also agree that Macan S got the better engine, but I'm looking for fun-packed long rides but not for a really fast car around the corners. I drive a Mustang GT PP Manual for all the fun ;)

Coming back to my question, am I overkilling the config with too many options that don't hold value down the lane when I sell it in like 5 years? will this be even a good idea to spend this much or will it not hold any value compared to the base Macan with a decent config for around 60-62 K?

On a side note, I noticed that for highly-optioned cars with like 10K+ extras, websites like carsandbids may give you more money than the regular dealers or online dealers as their software doesn't have many options to specify you have these many extra options configured. E.g. if I try to get a quote for Macan, it doesn't give an option for Miami blue all it has is a couple of blues which are $700 compared to Miami blue $3k.

Thanks in advance!
I’d urge you to go for the goodies that give you joy. To me resale value is secondary.

my advice: Go for all the tech! For me, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S black on black. PP, ACC
3 Posts
We purchased a Base Macan and 10 months later, traded in for a S. Lost a few dollars in the process but we had to do it, we couldn't stand the Base. Here is why. You have a Mustang GT. We (wife + I) also have a sport car (BMW Z4 3.5iS 6cyl with DCT and Sport package). We did believe that the Base Macan would be enough for us since if we want to drive sporty, well we step in into the BMW. Wrong. We could not stand the 4 pots sound (noise ?) and the lack of power. Once you get used to a 6-cyl and quick engine response, it's hard to live with a Base Macan. Our 2 cents. Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We purchased a Base Macan and 10 months later, traded in for a S. Lost a few dollars in the process but we had to do it, we couldn't stand the Base. Here is why. You have a Mustang GT. We (wife + I) also have a sport car (BMW Z4 3.5iS 6cyl with DCT and Sport package). We did believe that the Base Macan would be enough for us since if we want to drive sporty, well we step in into the BMW. Wrong. We could not stand the 4 pots sound (noise ?) and the lack of power. Once you get used to a 6-cyl and quick engine response, it's hard to live with a Base Macan. Our 2 cents. Cheers.
I assume this may happen with our base but will wait and see how that turns out

·
Registered
'21 Macan
43 Posts
I assume this may happen with our base but will wait and see how that turns out
the "S vs Base" crowd is one of the weirdest subcultures i've come across since i started on the internet with cars 5 years ago :p i mean in this case, i don't see how the debate still exists. the base is capable and fun to drive, and the S has more power that you will notice specifically when you're going 60-80 and trying to overtake folks on the highway. and it's a self-fulling prophecy. are you trying to enjoy the base as a fun car? you will. are you trying to look for a lack of power, knowing there are higher engine trims? you will. honest opinion, make a decision and stick with it, as you will enjoy whatever you decide on as long as you don't overthink it and wait for internet warriors to give their .02

regardless of what you get, enjoy your build!

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts
the "S vs Base" crowd is one of the weirdest subcultures i've come across since i started on the internet with cars 5 years ago :p i mean in this case, i don't see how the debate still exists. the base is capable and fun to drive, and the S has more power that you will notice specifically when you're going 60-80 and trying to overtake folks on the highway. and it's a self-fulling prophecy. are you trying to enjoy the base as a fun car? you will. are you trying to look for a lack of power, knowing there are higher engine trims? you will. honest opinion, make a decision and stick with it, as you will enjoy whatever you decide on as long as you don't overthink it and wait for internet warriors to give their .02

regardless of what you get, enjoy your build!
Agreed! I haven't seen "don't get the Q5 get SQ5!" and like debates on other owner forums. Porsche's Bespoke system allows you to build the Macan you need and like, at the budget you're comfortable with. Which engine to get is one decision, and even the S may seem "underpowered" compared to the GTS, which is "underpowered" compared to RSQ8. Some Macan buyers may decide to prioritize a more powerful engine over luxury, tech or safety options while others, considering their priorities, where they drive, etc. won't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for detailed analysis. Im not trying to compare fully loaded s vs fully loaded base. Im trying to compare a fully loaded base vs a base S. This is for my wife, when i got her a sonata sport 6 years ago i felt like took a bad decision because i could have got a turbo for 3k more. But at the same time was very thankful that it saved her many times because of all the tech it has. After 6 years im again in the same situation. So trying to see if its really a huge set back of not getting the twin turbo v6.

Haha, I should have been clear on that in my first post itself, sorry about that!
Yes my wife drives just like other wives and trying hard to sell her present car with a lot of dents and scratches.
Like other wives? :rolleyes: What year are we in?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nothing will be as underpowered as our subaru Outback. The base will be fine, i keep on asking how anyone is utilizing the extra hp in the s and gts on the road without breaking the law. All I get is crickets and a lot of opinions

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I was looking to buy the base 4 cylinder Macan. Aftertrying out the 6 cylinder Macan S there ws just no comparrison. Both my mate & i THAT went for the test drive could not believe how good the S was, Still no regrets.
Doug NZ.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)

Thanks in advance!
Thank you all for the inputs and opinions. Finally ordered the base with slight changes :
For Miami Blue I went through most of the videos and Owner pics posted on this forum, front and rear facia with Miami blue paint extras make a lot of difference in appearance. Felt that was worth 800 bucks. Might cover the front facia with some DIY clear wrap once it's delivered. Will play with those options later.

Coming back to my first question/dilemma fully loaded base vs base S : Today i went to the dealership and did a test drive on both 2022 base and S to see if I'm missing a lot by not choosing an S. The base was ok for an SUV, decent pickup and the turbo sounds just great even though there isnt that much acceleration for the noise it was making, lol. Was happy with it. Then i drove the S, it was obviously better than the base but i truley didnt believe that its worth 10 grand more than the base. The S has noticable pickup @ 2k-3k and above 5.5k - 6k RPM. But the thing is most of the drive in city and highway is between 3k and 5k RPM (90% of the drive life in an SUV) which to be frank its an utter dissapointment from S, some peeps might argue with the numbers but im sure that the acceleration difference between base and S around 3k-5k RPM will come down to micro seconds. Im not sure if the S owners usually tune it after the purchase but thats when I made my decision. This is my first Prosche, but owned Bimmers before. e.g. when i was shopping for my first 3 series 6 year ago, there was a simillar dilemma 328 vs 335. Unlike S vs Base I felt the difference by a huge margin for 328 vs 335 at any RPM. So for the S, for 10 grand I wasnt satisifed with the margin of improvement that it was producing. Again, some people might find this wrong or incorrect. Its just my experience , im not giving any verdict on this, just putting out my opnion.
For me, it would have been a deal braker on S if the improvement on acceleration is consistant all the way up to 7k RPM
Cheers !

·
Registered
'21 Macan
43 Posts
Thank you all for the inputs and opinions. Finally ordered the base with slight changes :
For Miami Blue I went through most of the videos and Owner pics posted on this forum, front and rear facia with Miami blue paint extras make a lot of difference in appearance. Felt that was worth 800 bucks. Might cover the front facia with some DIY clear wrap once it's delivered. Will play with those options later.

Coming back to my first question/dilemma fully loaded base vs base S : Today i went to the dealership and did a test drive on both 2022 base and S to see if I'm missing a lot by not choosing an S. The base was ok for an SUV, decent pickup and the turbo sounds just great even though there isnt that much acceleration for the noise it was making, lol. Was happy with it. Then i drove the S, it was obviously better than the base but i truley didnt believe that its worth 10 grand more than the base. The S has noticable pickup @ 2k-3k and above 5.5k - 6k RPM. But the thing is most of the drive in city and highway is between 3k and 5k RPM (90% of the drive life in an SUV) which to be frank its an utter dissapointment from S, some peeps might argue with the numbers but im sure that the acceleration difference between base and S around 3k-5k RPM will come down to micro seconds. Im not sure if the S owners usually tune it after the purchase but thats when I made my decision. This is my first Prosche, but owned Bimmers before. e.g. when i was shopping for my first 3 series 6 year ago, there was a simillar dilemma 328 vs 335. Unlike S vs Base I felt the difference by a huge margin for 328 vs 335 where I actually felt a huge difference at any RPM. So for the S, for 10 grand I wasnt satisifed with the margin of improvement that it was producing. Again, some people might find this wrong or incorrect. Its just my experience , im not giving any verdict on this, just putting out my opnion.
For me, it would have been a deal braker on S if the improvement on acceleration is consistant all the up to 7k RPM
Cheers !
Sick build. Is it bad my favorite option is the painted front and rear fascia? After the miami blue and spyder wheels of course. Coming from someone that's enjoying their '21 base with about $6k in options, you will thoroughly enjoy that car

·
Registered
395 Posts

Coming back to my first question/dilemma fully loaded base vs base S : Today i went to the dealership and did a test drive on both 2022 base and S to see if I'm missing a lot by not choosing an S. The base was ok for an SUV, decent pickup and the turbo sounds just great even though there isnt that much acceleration for the noise it was making, lol. Was happy with it. Then i drove the S, it was obviously better than the base but i truley didnt believe that its worth 10 grand more than the base. The S has noticable pickup @ 2k-3k and above 5.5k - 6k RPM. But the thing is most of the drive in city and highway is between 3k and 5k RPM (90% of the drive life in an SUV) which to be frank its an utter dissapointment from S, some peeps might argue with the numbers but im sure that the acceleration difference between base and S around 3k-5k RPM will come down to micro seconds. Im not sure if the S owners usually tune it after the purchase but thats when I made my decision. This is my first Prosche, but owned Bimmers before. e.g. when i was shopping for my first 3 series 6 year ago, there was a simillar dilemma 328 vs 335. Unlike S vs Base I felt the difference by a huge margin for 328 vs 335 at any RPM. So for the S, for 10 grand I wasnt satisifed with the margin of improvement that it was producing. Again, some people might find this wrong or incorrect. Its just my experience , im not giving any verdict on this, just putting out my opnion.
For me, it would have been a deal braker on S if the improvement on acceleration is consistant all the way up to 7k RPM
Cheers !
I think every one of us who comes here and asks for advice on which model to choose, deep down, we already know which one we want and eventually we will find a way to have our choice make sense. This is what I get from your conclusion and decision made from how the car handles at exactly 3-5k RPM :)

I do agree with the color, my order is also in Miami Blue. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I think every one of us who comes here and asks for advice on which model to choose, deep down, we already know which one we want and eventually, we will find a way to have our choice make sense. This is what I get from your conclusion and decision made from how the car handles at exactly 3-5k RPM :)

I do agree with the color, my order is also in Miami Blue. Good luck!
I was actually open before I ordered. My thought before going to the dealership was if S can give me thrills I would be happy to spend a bit more and compromise on a couple of tech options which went to around 76k. I didnt want to miss the opportunity or make a decision without actually experiencing both. Yes, I agree that deep down I wanted to get the base with all the tech, but at the same time, I didn't want to have any regrets after several months. Test drive made the choice clear :)

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts
It sounds like you did your research and due diligence and configured the optimal Macan for you. Congrats and now the waiting begins :)

·
Registered
2022 Macan Base Miami Blue
258 Posts
Great build! Almost the same as mine; the big difference is the wheels and lower painted areas. Unfortunately that wasn’t in the budget for me but I do think that the extra painted fascia’s only look good with the bigger wheels so you did really well with that choice!!

Reactions: AtlMiamiBlueMacan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was actually open before I ordered. My thought before going to the dealership was if S can give me thrills I would be happy to spend a bit more and compromise on a couple of tech options which went to around 76k. I didnt want to miss the opportunity or make a decision without actually experiencing both. Yes, I agree that deep down I wanted to get the base with all the tech, but at the same time, I didn't want to have any regrets after several months. Test drive made the choice clear :)
Love the color and the build! I saw where you had mentioned you swapped out your stock exhaust tips for the quad round tips. Can you provide a link for the new exhaust tips you purchased? Did you install them yourself? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Love the color and the build! I saw where you had mentioned you swapped out your stock exhaust tips for the quad round tips. Can you provide a link for the new exhaust tips you purchased? Did you install them yourself? Thanks!
The cheapest one out there on market :

TOPAZ 2PCS Exhaust Pipe Tail Throat Muffler Fit for 2019 2020 2021 Porsche Macan https://a.co/d/fIwVNCe

Yes I did install them by myself. Pretty straight forward, just 2 screws on stock one. Make sure you secure them very tightly. I did notice a slight change in exhaust note , it sounded better with quad ones. A normal person cant tell the difference though ...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts