Porsche Macan Forum banner

2022 Base Macan 70.5 K vs Macan S 71.5K

• Base Macan - Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sun roof and premium pack

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Macan S - Miami blue and Sun roof

Votes: 24 75.0%
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Maybe use the holiday days to sit back and reflect that you’re statements don’t sit well not because they are straight up, but because they’re incredibly forceful and dismissive of any opinion that’s not yours. I’ve seen that across many threads.

To the OP, I agree with others that it is very dependent on your situation, priorities and location. If I could only do city driving I would personally take a loaded base as well.
^^^^^^^ Look who has the opinion now ^^^^^^^^^^ with one exception -- JUDGEMENT (not on the topic .. but on the writer of the topic via ad hominem) .

Just pointing it out.

Op -- My thoughts are sincere and wish you well with whatever you choose .

·
Registered
215 Posts
That right there is a big factor. Just get the base with all of the comfort and convenience options then. No Porsche trim is ever a mistake. They all have their intended customers for their intended purposes.
Agreed, I think this statement indicates the base build is a better fit.
I might not be in a Macan if it didn't come in Sapphire Blue, so I hear you how a color can make a car pop.
Good luck with your order!! You can't really make a poor choice on this one.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you had said in the beginning that this build was primarily for your WIFE, then I suspect that the recommendations would have been different. If your wife drives the way my wife drives, then this is a no brainer. Get the base.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Base: economy middle seat on United Airlines
S: business class on Singapore Airlines
GTS: first class on Emirates or Qatar

Your choice!!!

·
Banned
9 Posts
You posted two cars which are not identically configured . Outside of the color and price they are very different . I agree with you that you ought to buy the color you want but picking a special color changes the pricing dynamics . You compensated that by cutting options . Those options didn't just fall out of the sky . You thought about them when you ticked them on that base car and when you got to the S to deleted them to retain the price . What you are learning is that by the time one loads up a base he's looking as an S and when he loads an S he's looking at a GTS . Thet deliberately stagger their pricing to get you there . Once there you ask two questions _
Post 1 asks -- (paraphrasing ) if its a problem to overkill the base with options .
Post 2 asks - Do you really need hp and performance in a city

So I will answer both .

No one needs a Porsche or a BMW . There are plenty of cheap cars which are very comfortable , reliable , have better technology , and are perfect for sitting in traffic in a city .
There are a plethora of reasons why someone buys a Porsche . The range can go anywhere from pretentiousness to being a driving enthusiast with a whole bunch in between .
I can only speak for myself . I buy a Porsche because they are a refined , precision driving instrument . The fact that I can be content with a Porsche in black or white speaks volumes on how well the car drives . Color would only become significant to me if I hated looking at the choice . Whats most important is how it drives.

I can be happy driving the most high performance car in traffic because I am not married to only driving it in traffic . What becomes the boundary are the limit capabilities of the car . The engine , options and trim level establishes those boundaries . I would rather have the best and rarely use it than the other way around )having less and feeling the need for more) . In fact I am not alone . I have seen countless guys on this forum trade their Macan S and buy a GTS or Turbo and be thrilled . I have ever seen one do the reverse and feel the same way.

You mentioned BMW . I have owned 22 BMW's and have my 18th Porsche ordered . Its pretty dead even on ownership for me. However I haven't bought a BMW since 2011 because I felt that BMW's lacked the refinements that I found in Porsche . They were great cars for when I was younger or as a second car but trey are NOT Porsches .

Even now I have my 5th Macan but I rarely drive it . I love the car but my wife is the primary driver . I don't mind at all because I want to drive either of my 911 cars EVERY day . I want to drive it in traffic or anywhere else .
Thanks for detailed analysis. Im not trying to compare fully loaded s vs fully loaded base. Im trying to compare a fully loaded base vs a base S. This is for my wife, when i got her a sonata sport 6 years ago i felt like took a bad decision because i could have got a turbo for 3k more. But at the same time was very thankful that it saved her many times because of all the tech it has. After 6 years im again in the same situation. So trying to see if its really a huge set back of not getting the twin turbo v6.

If you had said in the beginning that this build was primarily for your WIFE, then I suspect that the recommendations would have been different. If your wife drives the way my wife drives, then this is a no brainer. Get the base.
[/QUOTE
If you had said in the beginning that this build was primarily for your WIFE, then I suspect that the recommendations would have been different. If your wife drives the way my wife drives,
Haha, I should have been clear on that in my first post itself, sorry about that!
Yes my wife drives just like other wives and trying hard to sell her present car with a lot of dents and scratches.

·
Banned
9 Posts

Your choice!!!
Sorry to have to disagree with this. Technically fully loaded base is more comfortable than a base S with no options. So e.g. if im driving a 1000 mile trip with adaptive cruise, lane departure and lane keep assists , thats a business class for me. If the car can drive for me then thats a first class. If it has no tech to assist and make me comfortable during long drives thats a SPIRIT. This is a SUV, 50% of the idea is to make u feel comfortable. The other 50% is how sporty it is and how well it can handle. Now do I want to take that 50% of comfort factor to increase 100 bhp, is that worth? Thats my thread is all about. I agree that this is just my personal choice and perception, thats why I want to hear wanted to hear how other peeps feel about it.

In my point probably the best comparison would be GTS is like driving a red bull or Mercedes F1 car , S is like Ferrari/McLaren and the base is an AlphaTauri. Both the cars are good, but redbull won because theirs is 2 sec faster . Who knows, there are times that Alphatauti has won the race too ;)

Peace ☮

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Sorry to have to disagree with this. Technically fully loaded base is more comfortable than a base S with no options. So e.g. if im driving a 1000 mile trip with adaptive cruise, lane departure and lane keep assists , thats a business class for me. If the car can drive for me then thats a first class. If it has no tech to assist and make me comfortable during long drives thats a SPIRIT. This is a SUV, 50% of the idea is to make u feel comfortable. The other 50% is how sporty it is and how well it can handle. Now do I want to take that 50% of comfort factor to increase 100 bhp, is that worth? Thats my thread is all about. I agree that this is just my personal choice and perception, thats why I want to hear wanted to hear how other peeps feel about it.

In my point probably the best comparison would be GTS is like driving a red bull or Mercedes F1 car , S is like Ferrari/McLaren and the base is an AlphaTauri. Both the cars are good, but redbull won because theirs is 2 sec faster . Who knows, there are times that Alphatauti has won the race too ;)

Peace ☮
It’s a Porsche not a Lexus. It is not about comfort but performance. If you want to drive very comfortably in a 1000 mile trip, buy a Lexus. Base has a 4 cylinder and S a 6. That is your answer.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Thanks for detailed analysis. Im not trying to compare fully loaded s vs fully loaded base. Im trying to compare a fully loaded base vs a base S. This is for my wife, when i got her a sonata sport 6 years ago i felt like took a bad decision because i could have got a turbo for 3k more. But at the same time was very thankful that it saved her many times because of all the tech it has. After 6 years im again in the same situation. So trying to see if its really a huge set back of not getting the twin turbo v6.

Haha, I should have been clear on that in my first post itself, sorry about that!
Yes my wife drives just like other wives and trying hard to sell her present car with a lot of dents and scratches.
My feeling about the base car is that its a great value quite stripped . I had a 55K base loaner for 3 weeks and never suffered with it . I dont like how Porsche staggers the options price . The lower the trim the more $$$ an identical item might cost . The S just kills me . it's EXPENSIVE and its neither a bargain nor the best . The bargain is a modest base car .

I looked at your base build and fixed it . It costs 3K more . I accepted the fact that you wanted those expensive wheels (free on. a GTS ) and that 3K color . That front fascia is a recipe for chips and repaint . I took it off . Lane keeps is ridiculous (waiting for the trolls to pounce every time someone mentions it ) . It basically quacks like a duck if you change a lane without putting on a signal . I disengage it EVERY time I get in my wife car . I also deleted park assist . I wouldn't trust Porsche technology to park my bicycle . I wanted to cut surround view but stopped there because I know someone will freak if I did .

I added full leather, premium package plus (wife/ pano roof / leather ... a very nice interior nest for either or both of you ). I put 14 way seats (wanted 18) bumping up a bit, ventilation (great for hot days) and made the overall car nice ,

·
Banned
9 Posts
It’s a Porsche not a Lexus. It is not about comfort but performance. If you want to drive very comfortably in a 1000 mile trip, buy a Lexus. Base has a 4 cylinder and S a 6. That is your answer.
Again, for an Suv of this size performance cant be 100% selling point. Having that 50-50 factor is what makes a porsche better choice than a lexus, now in that do I have to give up entirely on the tech in this advanced era? I personally like the 6 , but the point im trying to make is for a Suv at 70k (strict on budget) is it worth to give up all the features and buy a base S just for the engine? And to be frank the 4 isnt that bad as it sounds.

·
Banned
9 Posts
My feeling about the base car is that its a great value quite stripped . I had a 55K base loaner for 3 weeks and never suffered with it . I dont like how Porsche staggers the options price . The lower the trim the more $$$ an identical item might cost . The S just kills me . it's EXPENSIVE and its neither a bargain nor the best . The bargain is a modest base car .

I looked at your base build and fixed it . It costs 3K more . I accepted the fact that you wanted those expensive wheels (free on. a GTS ) and that 3K color . That front fascia is a recipe for chips and repaint . I took it off . Lane keeps is ridiculous (waiting for the trolls to pounce every time someone mentions it ) . It basically quacks like a duck if you change a lane without putting on a signal . I disengage it EVERY time I get in my wife car . I also deleted park assist . I wouldn't trust Porsche technology to park my bicycle . I wanted to cut surround view but stopped there because I know someone will freak if I did .

I added full leather, premium package plus (wife/ pano roof / leather ... a very nice interior nest for either or both of you ). I put 14 way seats (wanted 18) bumping up a bit, ventilation (great for hot days) and made the overall car nice ,

Thanks for your suggestions, may be ill go back to the dealer and test out the tech in depth once. Didnt know that Porche tech can actually bad. But to be on safe side will play with them next week. Im stuck to miami Blue and all other wheels with that color just looks awful, my initial plan was with the base 19 inch wheels (which saves 3k and puts me at 67k) and they are joke in person. The next cheapest option would be the 20 inch for 2.2k and didnt like them in person either. So thought if I have to spend 2.2k on something i didnt like will stretch 800 bucks with what i liked. All those decisions took me to 70.5k and i just drew a line on the budget. Dont want to spend more on a base.
Thanks again for your inputs!!

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Any insights are much appreciated.
Makes sense. Thanks for your insights!!
Thanks for your suggestions,
Why are you @Kirhgavva appear to be responding for the OP ? @arenitin

·
Banned
9 Posts
Why are you @Kirhgavva appear to be responding for the OP ? @arenitin

My bad Just realized that it auto logged into my other gmail. Will stop logging from this account.

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
My bad Just realized that it auto logged into my other gmail. Will stop logging from this account.
Read rule 13. No alternative user accounts. Each member will have one login/username only. Anyone caught with more than one account will have the alts deleted and infractions issued.

No infraction issued cause you owned up to it. Thanks, but last account is now gone.

thanks

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts

Your choice!!!
That's highly inaccurate. A 2.0 engine with nice options feels much more business/first class than a barebone S. Some drivers find the GTS suspension too rough, even with AS, making it far from first class.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts
Some may miss the fact that you can build a Macan with a 2.0 engine choice yet have some of the options that come standard with the S if you care about them. Initially, I was not too fond of it but came to appreciate Porsche's bespoke approach. I built a 2.0 Macan (the right engine for me), added the S 20" wheels and PASM, gloss-black tailpipes, and skipped the S red brake callipers, aluminum window trim & tailpipes and gloss black interior, which I didn't care for. The bottom line is to take your time with the configurator, search for owners' photos, reviews, etc. and build the Macan that will make you appreciate it every day.

·
Registered
'21 Macan
43 Posts

lol. This is exactly what I did. I’m at the point in my life where I can afford a Porsche, but am on the “front 9” and could spend/invest additional $$ on smarter things. I kept an eye on the market and waited for a loaner or low mile 20/21 that had a few key options:
  • Premium package (adaptive lights, heated seats, blind spot monitoring, upgraded stereo, and keyless entry were all “must haves”… fortunate they all came in 1 package)
  • Black or blue paint
  • Beige or red interior
Once I found one that looked like the right deal and didn’t have anything extra I didn’t really want, I jumped on it. Most Porsche owners are not in it for “value”, but after wanting a Macan since I was in college when they came out, to doing my research intermittently throughout the years, I agree that a relatively stripped base is the best value. I would say I am a spirited driver, but only on back roads, and that 4cyl is more than enough fun.

that said, based on how they hold their value and the fun to drive, I don’t think you can make a mistake with any Macan trim

21 - 40 of 58 Posts