Porsche Macan Forum banner

2022 Base Macan 70.5 K vs Macan S 71.5K

• Base Macan - Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sun roof and premium pack

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Macan S - Miami blue and Sun roof

Votes: 24 75.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in the USA and planning to order a 2022 Macan and I loved the Miami blue with 20/21 inch wheels.

Looking at the configurations, I've added all the options I will be using/needed for the base and it came to 70.5K (Miami Blue , 21 inch RS spy Wheels, All possible tech, Sunroof, and premium pack)
Porsche code:pNBRRLQ5
Out of curiosity, I Configured Macan S with basic options for me(Miami blue and sunroof a must) and that came to 71.5 K (Miami blue and Sunroof)
Porsche Code:pNXSUHV8
Agree that Macan has the outdated tech, but having no tech with base-Macan S might feel like driving a really old car (like lane departure, adaptive cruise, 360 cams, self-parking). Also agree that Macan S got the better engine, but I'm looking for fun-packed long rides but not for a really fast car around the corners. I drive a Mustang GT PP Manual for all the fun ;)

Coming back to my question, am I overkilling the config with too many options that don't hold value down the lane when I sell it in like 5 years? will this be even a good idea to spend this much or will it not hold any value compared to the base Macan with a decent config for around 60-62 K?

On a side note, I noticed that for highly-optioned cars with like 10K+ extras, websites like carsandbids may give you more money than the regular dealers or online dealers as their software doesn't have many options to specify you have these many extra options configured. E.g. if I try to get a quote for Macan, it doesn't give an option for Miami blue all it has is a couple of blues which are $700 compared to Miami blue $3k.

Planning to Order one in Jan. Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Macan S all day long....

No such thing as too much fun. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Macan Base Miami Blue
258 Posts
I decided on the base with the options that I desired. I have no need for the bigger engine as there will be very little chance to use the extra power around the city. I desired fuel economy, comfort and convenience, safety, and the legendary Porsche handling and feel which will all be accomplished with the base. I also asked my SA the same question and he did not hesitate to respond with the base model. His view was mostly looking at resale as he said 5 years down the road a base and S with the same options will have similar values; so according to him your base build would be a better investment. Agree with him or not you can’t go wrong with either build. All versions of the Macan are a great machine so you just need to prioritize what is most important to you.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I decided on the base with the options that I desired. I have no need for the bigger engine as there will be very little chance to use the extra power around the city. I desired fuel economy, comfort and convenience, safety, and the legendary Porsche handling and feel which will all be accomplished with the base. I also asked my SA the same question and he did not hesitate to respond with the base model. His view was mostly looking at resale as he said 5 years down the road a base and S with the same options will have similar values; so according to him your base build would be a better investment. Agree with him or not you can’t go wrong with either build. All versions of the Macan are a great machine so you just need to prioritize what is most important to you.
Makes sense. Thanks for your insights!!

·
Registered
2022 Macan Base Miami Blue
258 Posts
BTW, love the c9lor
Makes sense. Thanks for your insights!!
I would also try inserting the premium PLUS package instead of the premium package as you already have most of the extra options listed so you might find that you get the 14-way seats (which are included in the PLUS package) for very little difference. BTW; I love the colour combo (same as mine)!

·
Registered
821 Posts
deleted - I can't actually give advice because I just picked what I wanted and happened to still be within the price I was comfortable with instead of setting a budget

·
Banned
9 Posts
BTW, love the c9lor

I would also try inserting the premium PLUS package instead of the premium package as you already have most of the extra options listed so you might find that you get the 14-way seats (which are included in the PLUS package) for very little difference. BTW; I love the colour combo (same as mine)!
Ya i really loved the miami blue with beige interior. I saw updating it to premium plus, the only difference is the 14way seats thats going to add another 1200. I test drove 2022 with the 8 way seats , they are fine for me. I quite felt like already spending so much on options, so want to limit it to 70.5
Thanks for letting me though :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just click the Premium Plus pack on the S you spec'd and it only goes up by $3200. That gives you almost everything you want. Are you really going to let $3200 stand between you and a much better car that you wouldn't have any regrets about having bought?
I wanted Miami blue with 21 RS Spy wheels and the tech like Lane departure, adaptive cruise, 360 cam, and self-park. Only lane keep assist comes with the Premium pack I guess, so If I add these to the build it's going to 80k. That's why I compared it with the base S in Miami blue and Sunroof which came around 71.5

That the trade-off trying to address- Base with all tech or the Base S in Miami blue :)

FYI - This is for my wife, she doesn't care much about the power and I'll be using it once in a while. Didn't want to make a bad step in choosing the trims, so started this thread :) .
I'm happy with my fat 460 BHP stick GT.

·
Registered
821 Posts
FYI - This is for my wife, she doesn't care much about the power and I'll be using it once in a while. Didn't want to make a bad step in choosing the trims, so started this thread :) .
I'm happy with my fat 460 BHP stick GT.
That right there is a big factor. Just get the base with all of the comfort and convenience options then. No Porsche trim is ever a mistake. They all have their intended customers for their intended purposes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That’s what we did, ordered a base and see how it goes. Maybe S in the future but road driving we’ll never use it fully. Better to save the money for a 911

·
Registered
2022 Macan
638 Posts
I can't answer your question without asking where do you live (the USA is a big place) and drive. Personally, I had the exact same decision to make and went with the 2.0 engine plus options over a barebone S. This is because 99.9% of my driving is city driving with a 50kph speed limit and lots of traffic. This is My Porsche Code.
I you live in Texas, the V6 makes a lot of sense. If on the other hand, you live in NYC, the 2.0 makes more sense.

Reactions: Gh0st0

·
Banned
9 Posts
I can't answer your question without asking where do you live (the USA is a big place) and drive. Personally, I had the exact same decision to make and went with the 2.0 engine plus options over a barebone S. This is because 99.9% of my driving is city driving with a 50kph speed limit and lots of traffic. This is My Porsche Code.
I you live in Texas, the V6 makes a lot of sense. If on the other hand, you live in NYC, the 2.0 makes more sense.
Atlanta, with a lot of traffic. Lol.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Your builds are a total mess !!! I assume the color is extremely important to you if you are willing too spend 3K on it for either car . It'a a nice percentage chunk of the MSRP . You also have to compare apples to apples . Loaded base has to compare with equally loaded S . I have said thus fir SEVEN years to long threads .. BOTH suck !!! The options pricing on. the lower trim cars is staggered in such a way that by the time yo build a loaded S it becomes a GTS .

I look at it two ways ...
1) stripped base (your color eliminates itself right out of that gate )
or
2) GTS

Anything in between is overpriced and a loaded S is outrageous mediocrity . My statements usually don't sit will but they are straight up .

Now .. given the fact that uypu are waiting months fora. car it may be worth it to load the car you get .

I have a friend who was only given an allocation for an S so he had to make it work . After about 800 builds between the two of us we had them as low as the mid 70's and as high as the mid 80's . Its hard not to break 80K but it can be done (not with Miami blue though ) . I did tell dont even buy it . If he wanted a GTS it came with a longer wait and an ADM . The S was now and at MSRP . . Tough choice .

My feeling is always the same . GET THE RIGHT CAR !!! If its tom expensive dont buy anything .

·
Banned
9 Posts
Your builds are a total mess !!! I assume the color is extremely important to you if you are willing too spend 3K on it for either car . It'a a nice percentage chunk of the MSRP . You also have to compare apples to apples . Loaded base has to compare with equally loaded S . I have said thus fir SEVEN years to long threads .. BOTH suck !!! The options pricing on. the lower trim cars is staggered in such a way that by the time yo build a loaded S it becomes a GTS .

or
2) GTS

Anything in between is overpriced and a loaded S is outrageous mediocrity . My statements usually don't sit will but they are straight up .

Now .. given the fact that uypu are waiting months fora. car it may be worth it to load the car you get .

I have a friend who was only given an allocation for an S so he had to make it work . After about 800 builds between the two of us we had them as low as the mid 70's and as high as the mid 80's . Its hard not to break 80K but it can be done (not with Miami blue though ) . I did tell dont even buy it . If he wanted a GTS it came with a longer wait and an ADM . The S was now and at MSRP . . Tough choice .

My feeling is always the same . GET THE RIGHT CAR !!! If its tom expensive dont buy anything .
Thanks for your inputs. I think color is a personal choice, if it wasn't for miami blue I wouldnt even think of buying a macan. I've been a huge fan of bmw, I've driven the macan S and its equivalent price point M40s/M50s. I've never driven a GTS and its counter part x4M or x5M, so cant judge there. Bimmers(Suvs) are more nimble and I cam feel im tied to the car around every corner. I've had multiple Bimmers for last 10 years and wanted to go for something else. At the end of the day its a SUV, i get that v6 twin turbo gives more aggressive drive feel, my thread is all about is it worth to have just the extra power with 0 tech for a suv. Again, all this considering 71k msrp price point. If it was 80k , hands down S or even base GTS is a better option. So for a SUV where there is no scope to put that 100bhp to work everytime you take it out in a crowded city, is it really worth it?

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
Thanks for your inputs. I think color is a personal choice, if it wasn't for miami blue I wouldnt even think of buying a macan. I've been a huge fan of bmw, I've driven the macan S and its equivalent price point M40s/M50s. I've never driven a GTS and its counter part x4M or x5M, so cant judge there. Bimmers(Suvs) are more nimble and I cam feel im tied to the car around every corner. I've had multiple Bimmers for last 10 years and wanted to go for something else. At the end of the day its a SUV, i get that v6 twin turbo gives more aggressive drive feel, my thread is all about is it worth to have just the extra power with 0 tech for a suv. Again, all this considering 71k msrp price point. If it was 80k , hands down S or even base GTS is a better option. So for a SUV where there is no scope to put that 100bhp to work everytime you take it out in a crowded city, is it really worth it?
You posted two cars which are not identically configured . Outside of the color and price they are very different . I agree with you that you ought to buy the color you want but picking a special color changes the pricing dynamics . You compensated that by cutting options . Those options didn't just fall out of the sky . You thought about them when you ticked them on that base car and when you got to the S to deleted them to retain the price . What you are learning is that by the time one loads up a base he's looking as an S and when he loads an S he's looking at a GTS . Thet deliberately stagger their pricing to get you there . Once there you ask two questions _
Post 1 asks -- (paraphrasing ) if its a problem to overkill the base with options .
Post 2 asks - Do you really need hp and performance in a city

So I will answer both .

No one needs a Porsche or a BMW . There are plenty of cheap cars which are very comfortable , reliable , have better technology , and are perfect for sitting in traffic in a city .
There are a plethora of reasons why someone buys a Porsche . The range can go anywhere from pretentiousness to being a driving enthusiast with a whole bunch in between .
I can only speak for myself . I buy a Porsche because they are a refined , precision driving instrument . The fact that I can be content with a Porsche in black or white speaks volumes on how well the car drives . Color would only become significant to me if I hated looking at the choice . Whats most important is how it drives.

I can be happy driving the most high performance car in traffic because I am not married to only driving it in traffic . What becomes the boundary are the limit capabilities of the car . The engine , options and trim level establishes those boundaries . I would rather have the best and rarely use it than the other way around )having less and feeling the need for more) . In fact I am not alone . I have seen countless guys on this forum trade their Macan S and buy a GTS or Turbo and be thrilled . I have ever seen one do the reverse and feel the same way.

You mentioned BMW . I have owned 22 BMW's and have my 18th Porsche ordered . Its pretty dead even on ownership for me. However I haven't bought a BMW since 2011 because I felt that BMW's lacked the refinements that I found in Porsche . They were great cars for when I was younger or as a second car but trey are NOT Porsches .

Even now I have my 5th Macan but I rarely drive it . I love the car but my wife is the primary driver . I don't mind at all because I want to drive either of my 911 cars EVERY day . I want to drive it in traffic or anywhere else .

·
Registered
100 Posts

or
2) GTS

Maybe use the holiday days to sit back and reflect that you’re statements don’t sit well not because they are straight up, but because they’re incredibly forceful and dismissive of any opinion that’s not yours. I’ve seen that across many threads.

To the OP, I agree with others that it is very dependent on your situation, priorities and location. If I could only do city driving I would personally take a loaded base as well.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts