Porsche Macan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Macan GTS (scheduled to arrive the 2nd week of December)
67 Posts
Wow, it's not even mine and I'm excited to see these new beauties. Anxiously awaiting the pics.
Jamie

·
Registered
636 Posts
WE HAVE A WINNER in THE GREAT GTS RACE of 2021!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
546 Posts
More pics. Rolling code garage programmed, I think most of my personal settings programmed. Even swapped out the gas cap for a "faux" Aluminum one.
The only issue I had was the DMV couldn't u[date my existing License plate because they are not ready for MY 2021. Therefore the Temporary.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks like the used up a lot of Chalk paint that week- yours, mine, @gsb0824 's S, etc.

Ours are dead ringers (exterior anyway) other than the wheels (and I LOVE your wheels!).

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS, 2010 Cayman S
34 Posts
Picked up my new 2021 GTS today, drove it to the paint protection film shop, about 15 km. Car has summer performance tires, but the streets are covered in ice and snow - it was a very cautious trip. Winter tires and wheels are happening tomorrow. It's not exactly great fun picking up a new car in the middle of winter in a pandemic. Upon first sitting in the car, I adjusted the seat (14 way leather) but was unable to find the comfortable position I easily found when comparing seats in in-stock vehicles prior to ordering the car. With a cranky back, I need the seat bottom quite flat so my lower back is straight and not arched. The seat adjustments in the new car did not allow this, like i've been able to find in every other Porsche I have driven, including my Cayman S. As I made my way to the paint protection film shop, my back was not happy, and a half hour later at my destination, I was downright uncomfortable. Short of a tacky wedge cushion or some other haywire solution, I'm not sure where this will take me. I will wait until the seat is broken in before doing anything drastic, but I can't see how break-in will flatten the angle of the seat bottom.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I adjusted the seat (14 way leather) but was unable to find the comfortable position I easily found when comparing seats in in-stock vehicles prior to ordering the car.
Wondering what would have changed between the time when you first found the 14-ways to be comfortable when comparing to when you experienced discomfort after buying?
With a cranky back, I need the seat bottom quite flat so my lower back is straight and not arched. The seat adjustments in the new car did not allow this, like i've been able to find in every other Porsche I have driven, including my Cayman S.
Again, it goes back to when you were testing and comparing the seat options. They are what they are, each offering varying degrees of adjustability and support that individuals can decide what works best for them. In your case, it appears that something changed from when you tested the three options and decided on which one would be the best for your particular situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, I'm reflecting back on that. For about 10 years I have had to be very careful testing seats before buying the car, eliminating possibilities because of lack of seat comfort, especially the ability to adjust the angle of seat bottom. To be sure, there were no 2021 Macan GTS cars on the dealer lot last July, so I had to rely on a close look at the cars they had with the base, 14-way and 18-way seats. I spent quite a bit of time on this comparison due to the importance of it to my driving comfort. Not one of the cars I tested had a problem adjusting the seat bottom to a level enough position, so I focused on other aspects of comfort. Would have bought the standard 8-way, but the side bolsters were too high for comfortable ingress and egress (I am short with an athletic build). Same with the 18-way seats. The 14-way seemed to work for me the best. The dealer had a used 2017 GTS, which the SA indicated would be the closest comparison to the 2021 - it had 14-way, and was very comfortable. I also compared a couple of 2020 S's. Even my Cayman S has great seats that I can adjust to level seat bottom. The only conclusion I can come to is that they "improved" the 2021 and made the seat more "buckety". Most people with healthy backs might not notice this, and instead experience it as more sporty, which would resonate with the GTS vibe.

I know from previous experience that seats change from year to year. I wanted to trade a 2010 MDX on a new 2013, but found the same seat problem I am currently experiencing with the Macan, necessitating a different choice.

But in any event that is all in the past, and here I am with a problem. I will see where this lands over the next few months. In the meantime I will be using an Obusforme Contour seat bottom in the Macan to reduce the depth of the back of the seat bottom. I used to travel with an Obusforme seat bottom when I regularly travelled 500k air miles/year. It's just a little clunky in a new car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try lifting the seat up fully before then lowering it to level with either the front xor the back (yes, xor, exclusive or)...do the same with the backrest, start at fully forward and then come back...same with the seat depth adjustment. It's entirely possible you've gotten the seat to a position where it can't be leveled out further because it's hit the limits of travel with the position of another adjustment.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Try lifting the seat up fully before then lowering it to level with either the front xor the back (yes, xor, exclusive or)...do the same with the backrest, start at fully forward and then come back...same with the seat depth adjustment. It's entirely possible you've gotten the seat to a position where it can't be leveled out further because it's hit the limits of travel with the position of another adjustment.
Right. I think what you are telling the OP is run the seat controls all the way to each end of the spectrum and then it should be reset. Go from there to start your adjustments over again and see if this works.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Right. I think what you are telling the OP is run the seat controls all the way to each end of the spectrum and then it should be reset. Go from there to start your adjustments over again and see if this works.
I mean, maybe there's a reset if you get to the limits of travel in each way (similar to how windows recalibrate auto open/close by holding at extent). But what I've seen is some vehicles seats don't allow certain combinations of adjustment...e.g. maybe the seat can't go as low in the front with the seat bottom extended full forward. So worth trying running through the range of motion to see if he's getting limited in some way, I really doubt that the adjustments have changed much between the dealer vehicles and his order.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I've given it a good thorough work-out, but I'm going to give it another good look tomorrow. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
@Tippy. Quick question. Were the seats you tried during you decision making process solid, and your new seats ventilated (or vice versa)? I only ask as I had a 2009 X-6 with really (really!) comfortable seats - replacement 2013 X-6 had ventilated seats that were definitely not as comfortable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good question. The winter weather conditions have delayed my close examination of the car. I think my seats are not perforated. Hard to say about the various cars I sat in. But there was definitely a difference somewhere.

I drove the car a bit today and exhaustively played with the seat settings . I'll manage with it, hopefully it will break in to my form over time. Basically it boils down to the pressure on the lower back that I feel in this seat, even with the seat bottom on maximum flat setting. It feels like the front of the seat needs adjustability another inch down. It will be okay for short trips, for long trips I will use an Obusforme Contour seat cushion, which contains a plastic form and is quite firm. The front third of it can be removed to fit in the pocket and only raise the back up. It will raise my backside about an inch, It's basically an orthotic for the backside, so while firm, is quite comfortable.

Are you loving your new GTS?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Are you loving your new GTS?
I am loving our 2017 GTS, and I’ll miss it when the new one comes in a few weeks. Even though the new one is pretty much the same with just a few tweaks, I bonded with the current GTS on our 9,000 km round trip to LA and back a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well that's exciting! My car sat in the lot in Halifax for 10 days or so waiting for clearance. Hope yours doesn't. Having owned well over 100 cars, this is the first new car I've bought in the winter, it is definitely a different experience than buying it in summer. With the performance tires, it was a very careful trip from the dealership to the paint protection film shop in a different end of the city. Snow and especially slick roads on the short trip from the paint protection film shop to the tire shop. When I picked it up with the winter tires/wheels the roads had deteriorated quite a bit, so my timing was good for the drive home. Not much joy in driving in this weather. Takes the shine off the apple a bit.

Evidently, my GTS is on the Green Bay, currently docked in Emden. Hope she leaves port soon!
View attachment 236534

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well that's exciting! My car sat in the lot in Halifax for 10 days or so waiting for clearance. Hope yours doesn't. Having owned well over 100 cars, this is the first new car I've bought in the winter, it is definitely a different experience than buying it in summer. With the performance tires, it was a very careful trip from the dealership to the paint protection film shop in a different end of the city. Snow and especially slick roads on the short trip from the paint protection film shop to the tire shop. When I picked it up with the winter tires/wheels the roads had deteriorated quite a bit, so my timing was good for the drive home. Not much joy in driving in this weather. Takes the shine off the apple a bit.
Driving on crappy roads can be kinda fun, depending on who else is around. I had a 2006 530xi when I lived in Iowa, with dedicated snow tires. I took that baby out in the first good snow and checked the uphill, downhill, how fast can I stop, can I start back up after stopping midway up a steep hill stuff. Pretty **** fun, but definitely not as fun as performance tires on an empty cloverleaf.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts