Porsche Macan Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I think you are comparing apples and oranges. I'm not giving any subjective opinions here just raw numbers. If you go to Porsche's current website for the 2nd Gen Macan Turbo its stats are listed at:

2nd Generation Turbo
434 hp 405 tq 0-60 mph 4.3 sec top speed and 167 top speed.

The numbers for the 1st generation Turbo performance package (as given by Porsche):
440 hp 443 tq 0-60 mph 4.2 sec top speed and 169? top speed.

COBB Tuned 3.6L" (my computation using Cobb's 93 Octane peak gain stats)
474 hp 559 tq 400 (400 hp +18.56% and 406 tq +37.7%)

The 0-60 mph times are those given by Porsche. For whatever reason Porsche uses conservative estimates. They are significantly slower than the test times reported in MT, C&D, etc. for both the first and second generation Turbos. Typically they are in the 3.7-3.8 range if my memory serves me.
I don't think we were on the same page. I was comparing 2020-2021 Turbo with 2015-2018 Turbo. Car & Driver reviews and test results were used. In their tests, the 0-60 time for the 15 Turbo was 4.2s, the 20 Turbo was 3.5s. Different dates, different environment, may be even different tires... there's no way to know. In the 2020 Turbo review, they briefly mentioned that it's a tenth of a second slower than the 2018 Turbo w/PP.

My first Macan was a 2015 Turbo I ordered in December 2013, delivered June 2014. I don't remember when I had the Cobb installed but it was early on. My second Macan was a 2017 GTS, ordered Mar 2016 and delivered June 2014, also had Cobb installed. My experience with them on both Macans was not as satisfactory as with my 991.1 Turbo S and 991.2 which I still own and drive.

I traded both Macans in at different times and now drive a Cayenne Turbo Coupe. I'm waiting to see what Porsche does with the Macan EV next.

Very much agree. We own both the Gen 1 GTS and Turbo, and are about to order a new GTS to replace the current GTS. I test drove the new Turbo three times. Granted overall it’s probably faster, but you need to get the engine speed up over 3000 RPM to get to the power band. The power characteristics remind me of our current GTS.

I keep thinking of the old saying “there is no replacement for displacement”.
This is why I prefer the Gen 1 Turbo. While there is no question the new engine is going to be faster in a flat out 0 to 60 race, I rarely do full throttle 0 to 60 accelerations. The low-end torque of the older engine is superior and more pleasurable in every day driving, whereas you need to get the new engine up over 3000 RPM to get it into its power band. Clearly if the Macan were offered with a manual transmission, the newer engine would be the better fit.

This is why I prefer the Gen 1 Turbo. While there is no question the new engine is going to be faster in a flat out 0 to 60 race, I rarely do full throttle 0 to 60 accelerations. The low-end torque of the older engine is superior and more pleasurable in every day driving, whereas you need to get the new engine up over 3000 RPM to get it into its power band. Clearly if the Macan were offered with a manual transmission, the newer engine would be the better fit.
I owned the 2015 Turbo and currently the 2020 Turbo. Yes the new one is faster 0 to 60 but the so called talk of less turbo lag is only true if you are running the car in sport plus mode. The way it seems to really do this is that the engine seems to hold a higher minimum rev so the motor is ready to go. If you run in normal mode, the older turbo throttle and reaction is way faster and feels better.

My comments are about pricing issues when buying new.

Late to this discussion obviously, and can’t add anything regarding the OP’s question about which model was better, but as a buyer of 2 Macans (2016 S, and 2018 GTS) I have found the dealers really vary on how negotiable they are.

For the Philadelphia market where I reside, you have to arm wrestle all day to get to a 5% discount, and they act like you are stealing the car.

But go out of this market, and all of the sudden you find dealers who will discount 9% off list, and deliver the car to you as well. If you are amenable to buying outside your area, try Hennessy or Perimeter, both in Atlanta. Everyone needs to make a living, but there is a lot more profit margin than Porsche would have you think.

My comments are about pricing issues when buying new.

Late to this discussion obviously, and can’t add anything regarding the OP’s question about which model was better, but as a buyer of 2 Macans (2016 S, and 2018 GTS) I have found the dealers really vary on how negotiable they are.

For the Philadelphia market where I reside, you have to arm wrestle all day to get to a 5% discount, and they act like you are stealing the car.

But go out of this market, and all of the sudden you find dealers who will discount 9% off list, and deliver the car to you as well. If you are amenable to buying outside your area, try Hennessy or Perimeter, both in Atlanta. Everyone needs to make a living, but there is a lot more profit margin than Porsche would have you think.
Wasn't clear on whether you were presently looking but I'm in the Philly market also but purchased my Turbo at Autohouse Porsche in Lancaster. I was looking for a used Turbo so I wasn't shopping discount %'s bit they were however pretty no hassle to negotiate with.

Wasn't clear on whether you were presently looking but I'm in the Philly market also but purchased my Turbo at Autohouse Porsche in Lancaster. I was looking for a used Turbo so I wasn't shopping discount %'s bit they were however pretty no hassle to negotiate with.
Thanks Joe. I’ll keep that in mind. Do you remember who you dealt with? I don’t like to just get the “next man/woman up” if you know what I mean.

My GTS lease is up in October, and I am starting to think about what is next. Prob another GTS, and I want to custom order. Am talking to Tim Grape at Porsche of the Main Line. I don’t know yet how negotiable they will be, but I love them for service.

Thanks Joe. I’ll keep that in mind. Do you remember who you dealt with? I don’t like to just get the “next man/woman up” if you know what I mean.

My GTS lease is up in October, and I am starting to think about what is next. Prob another GTS, and I want to custom order. Am talking to Tim Grape at Porsche of the Main Line. I don’t know yet how negotiable they will be, but I love them for service.
Dean Fry, he was pretty low key. Good luck.
Dean Fry
Autohaus Lancaster
1373 Manheim Pike Lancaster Pa 17601
717-299-2801
dfry@autohaus.com

81 - 87 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.