Porsche Macan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts
When comparing apple to apple for the Turbo models, the new one is quite quicker by all accounts not only because of the HP bump. The placement of the new twin turbos provide instantaneous boost for the 2.9L. The 2020 Car & Driver's 0-60 test had it at 3.5s vs 4.2s for the 2015 Macan Turbo. When the Cobb tune is installed on the older Turbo generation, the drivability suffered noticeably on my 2015 Turbo. The Macan is the worst tune from Cobb in my opinion of all the Porsche flash tunes I have installed - 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2, 2017 Macan GTS, and 2015 Macan Turbo. If you really want the highest performance you can drive, Cobb is NOT the way to go. Either Macan w/PP or new Turbo.
Well, just a little bit off topic is the fact that Cobb sure woke up my 2018 'S' model

Well, just a little bit off topic is the fact that Cobb sure woke up my 2018 'S' model
The Cobb tunes could have been a lot better for the Macan. So many updates I lost count. In the 911 they were just about near perfect from the start.

Reactions: vandit
When comparing apple to apple for the Turbo models, the new one is quite quicker by all accounts not only because of the HP bump. The placement of the new twin turbos provide instantaneous boost for the 2.9L. The 2020 Car & Driver's 0-60 test had it at 3.5s vs 4.2s for the 2015 Macan Turbo. When the Cobb tune is installed on the older Turbo generation, the drivability suffered noticeably on my 2015 Turbo. The Macan is the worst tune from Cobb in my opinion of all the Porsche flash tunes I have installed - 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2, 2017 Macan GTS, and 2015 Macan Turbo. If you really want the highest performance you can drive, Cobb is NOT the way to go. Either Macan w/PP or new Turbo.
There are a lot of posters here who love their COBB Turbo tunes. The primary issue where there are complaints has been with the smoothness of the shifts. Many also have eliminated those issues with custom maps. You were not happy but many are. What can not be disputed is that the 3.6L has much greater potential for HP and TQ gains over the 2.9L.

I think Porsche may have shot themselves in the foot by not differentiating the GTS and the Turbo enough by going with the same engine. Maybe it was a cost issue or they didn't care enough in the short term because of an EV roll out down the road. The Car and Driver headline is telling. In the lack of a significant upgrade from the prior Turbo model:

"Porsche's 2020 Macan Turbo Remains a Hot SUV Benchmark
It may not be any quicker than before, but the top-level 2020 Macan is more compelling than ever with its new twin-turbo V-6."

[/QUOTE]

This is less galling but only slightly so - at least someone isn't driving around in your actual car. Thanks again for sharing.
[/QUOTE]Perhaps that's what happens when one does not establish a relationship with the dealer, but the experience left me with no interest in having ANY relationship with the dealer at all.

Reactions: pdidrew
There are a lot of posters here who love their COBB Turbo tunes. The primary issue where there are complaints has been with the smoothness of the shifts. Many also have eliminated those issues with custom maps. You were not happy but many are. What can not be disputed is that the 3.6L has much greater potential for HP and TQ gains over the 2.9L.
Of course there will be people who love their Cobb tunes. I was one of them thirsting for power. But you need to compare the jerkiness of the Cobb tune against the buttery smooth factory Porsche tune to understand where all the complaints originate. I don't need to rehash the issues again on this thread. If my option is a factory car with 440 HP, buttery smooth shifting, instantaneous boost and a 3.5s 0-60 time with warranty intact, why would I want to deal with aftermarket tunes with issues? Yes, the 3.6L has potential - that's why Porsche gives us the Turbo w/PP. Car & Driver was comparing the 2020 Turbo acceleration with the Turbo PP which is a trim up when they say it may not be any quicker and "lack of significant upgrade". 3.5s vs 4.2s is significantly quicker enough alone on the same trim. The "lack of significant upgrade" is for Porsche not coming out with a 500 HP Turbo S - that would have been what we were all wishing for.

Reactions: Masscan
Of course there will be people who love their Cobb tunes. I was one of them thirsting for power. But you need to compare the jerkiness of the Cobb tune against the buttery smooth factory Porsche tune to understand where all the complaints originate. I don't need to rehash the issues again on this thread. If my option is a factory car with 440 HP, buttery smooth shifting, instantaneous boost and a 3.5s 0-60 time with warranty intact, why would I want to deal with aftermarket tunes with issues? Yes, the 3.6L has potential - that's why Porsche gives us the Turbo w/PP. Car & Driver was comparing the 2020 Turbo acceleration with the Turbo PP which is a trim up when they say it may not be any quicker and "lack of significant upgrade". 3.5s vs 4.2s is significantly quicker enough alone on the same trim. The "lack of significant upgrade" is for Porsche not coming out with a 500 HP Turbo S - that would have been what we were all wishing for.
Interesting how you don’t mention the complaints about the Cobb tune are relegated to a small minority of forum members, and that most of us have had no issues whatsoever, and that has been well-established repeatedly here on the forum. We have the Cobb tune on both our Turbo and GTS with no problems at all, although admittedly I have been enticed to consider the additional power of a custom tune, especially for the GTS.

Those who are unhappy with their Cobb tune have every right to complain, but we need to point out it’s just a small group and that the tune is returnable for a full refund for anyone who is disappointed.

I've never understood why there would be such huge variations for the Cobb tune from car to car. Do the engines in each of cars vary that much? I have never had any issues with my Cobb tune at all. Not implying some do not have legitimate gripes. Just wondering what would cause this.

Interesting how you don’t mention the complaints about the Cobb tune are relegated to a small minority of forum members, and that most of us have had no issues whatsoever, and that has been well-established repeatedly here on the forum. We have the Cobb tune on both our Turbo and GTS with no problems at all, although admittedly I have been enticed to consider the additional power of a custom tune, especially for the GTS.

Those who are unhappy with their Cobb tune have every right to complain, but we need to point out it’s just a small group and that the tune is returnable for a full refund for anyone who is disappointed.
I don't need to know the percentage of people who have had issues with the tune, nor do I care. I pointed out the Car & Driver reviews of the performances of the 2020 Turbo and the 2015-2018 Turbo as comparison. Then people started talking about Cobb tune opening up huge gains in the 3.6L which was not what I intended. That brought back memories of my issues with the tune (btw, I was not happy so I sold it.) I just reiterated the fact that for the Macan Porsche already did it straight from the factory. Anyway, let's stick to what OP was asking - new Macan vs old Macan trims discussion. Arguing Cobb tune is not what this thread is about. I'm totally for a smartly optioned new 2021 Turbo with the new PCM rather than a two year old 2018 Turbo w/PP loaded with every imaginable options.

I don't need to know the percentage of people who have had issues with the tune, nor do I care. I pointed out the Car & Driver reviews of the performances of the 2020 Turbo and the 2015-2018 Turbo as comparison. Then people started talking about Cobb tune opening up huge gains in the 3.6L which was not what I intended. That brought back memories of my issues with the tune (btw, I was not happy so I sold it.) I just reiterated the fact that for the Macan Porsche already did it straight from the factory. Anyway, let's stick to what OP was asking - new Macan vs old Macan trims discussion. Arguing Cobb tune is not what this thread is about. I'm totally for a smartly optioned new 2021 Turbo with the new PCM rather than a two year old 2018 Turbo w/PP loaded with every imaginable options.
Absolutely a legitimate viewpoint, but I personally preferred to have a 2018 Macan Turbo PP in like-new condition at a 25% discount vs. a new Turbo that would cost me a lot more with the same options. Actually, with the money I spent a Turbo would not have been in the cards, lightly optioned GTS I mean...

Absolutely a legitimate viewpoint, but I personally preferred to have a 2018 Macan Turbo PP in like-new condition at a 25% discount vs. a new Turbo that would cost me a lot more with the same options. Actually, with the money I spent a Turbo would not have been in the cards, lightly optioned GTS I mean...
Well, someone posted the 2018 Turbo PP in like new condition (10K miles) referred to has an MSRP of $135K which the dealer is asking $100K, not a thing you'd have in mind for savings. A new and nicely optioned 2021 Turbo (not like new) can be speced in the ballpark, for under $100K. I wouldn't want to load up on the options either. Of course, a lightly optioned GTS is a very smart choice indeed.

At the risk of being declared a heretic, you max performance guys are glossing over the "Facelift" changes that went into the new GTS. Upgraded PCM, upgraded engine, upgraded trim. In the years to come, this stuff will matter. And, you are at least one ".1" into the future. I'd go with the custom configured GTS as I just did. Took delivery last Thursday.

At the risk of being declared a heretic, you max performance guys are glossing over the "Facelift" changes that went into the new GTS. Upgraded PCM, upgraded engine, upgraded trim. In the years to come, this stuff will matter. And, you are at least one ".1" into the future. I'd go with the custom configured GTS as I just did. Took delivery last Thursday.
Congrats on your new '21 GTS, must be awesome. Regarding your comment if the upgraded PCM matters more in the future, who knows? It could as well be the opposite. In ten years' time any PCM will be dated and if someone buys an older car, maybe the purity matters and the PCM is the least of concerns (certainly in the 911 world).

Anyhow, I just think everyone has to decide for themselves what they value and then act accordingly, not one single solution that fits all needs!

Congrats on your new '21 GTS, must be awesome. Regarding your comment if the upgraded PCM matters more in the future, who knows? It could as well be the opposite. In ten years' time any PCM will be dated and if someone buys an older car, maybe the purity matters and the PCM is the least of concerns (certainly in the 911 world).

Anyhow, I just think everyone has to decide for themselves what they value and then act accordingly, not one single solution that fits all needs!
Well, obviously the newer stuff might spoil the "vintage" meme, but I believe the poster wanted opinions. I am not suggesting that the PCM overwhelms any and all other concerns. Just that it, among other changes, are what Porsche sees as"improvements".

Reactions: andreasbiebl
Everyone knows Cobb does not stand behind their products. And I am claiming Michigan and Georgia.
Cobb helped me so much over the years. they made my S.O.'s '04 WRX STI get connected and MOVE ahead. They helped me get my '18 Macan S moving after everything fell apart after the Porsche update DME. They did a lot of work with me and I thank them.

You were the one who mentioned the jerkiness of the Cobb tune, when the fact is the jerkiness does not exist for the vast majority of us.
I know for most of us the majority speaks. Except when it happens to you.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I think you are comparing apples and oranges. I'm not giving any subjective opinions here just raw numbers. If you go to Porsche's current website for the 2nd Gen Macan Turbo its stats are listed at:

2nd Generation Turbo
434 hp 405 tq 0-60 mph 4.3 sec top speed and 167 top speed.

The numbers for the 1st generation Turbo performance package (as given by Porsche):
440 hp 443 tq 0-60 mph 4.2 sec top speed and 169? top speed.

COBB Tuned 3.6L" (my computation using Cobb's 93 Octane peak gain stats)
474 hp 559 tq 400 (400 hp +18.56% and 406 tq +37.7%)

The 0-60 mph times are those given by Porsche. For whatever reason Porsche uses conservative estimates. They are significantly slower than the test times reported in MT, C&D, etc. for both the first and second generation Turbos. Typically they are in the 3.7-3.8 range if my memory serves me.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.