Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
I'd go for the new GTS for sure. I'd NEVER buy a used Porsche that wasn't CPO'ed.

A MUCH improved Gen II GTS, light on the fluff options, heavy on the performance options....$85K and call it a day!

In New York you are near both Catena and Paul Miller . They are in New Jersey. People like @Shark know them better than I do. From what i have read Miller is a home run hitter in service and both are relatively firm on price , (but are negotiable)
Historically Paul Miller has had a good reputation, but If you are considering them you might want to read this recent thread:

I find that experience so scary, not sure I would ever go back there for service. I've had good experiences as a Mercedes customer with Catena's service department. Excellent for warranty work, but for non warranty work their prices are breathtaking. But I've never had a Porsche serviced there (yet). Their Service Departments for the different brands they sell are in the same building. But as a Mercedes customer I repeatedly found their sales department to be plain dishonest.

I have quite a bit of experience with sales as I've helped several other friends and co-workers buy Macans. Actually Paul Miller has consistently been one of the more negotiable dealers. The most hungry dealer in northern/central NJ seems to be Monmouth, a Penske franchise. But I had a bad experience there. Ordered a car there that never arrived. They gave my build slot to another customer, and then lied to me about what had happened. Claimed my car was delayed because of the PCM shortage several years ago when Porsche's Japanese supplier had a fire in their plant . How do I know? I was able to find the Macan that was built with my commission number the same month mine was scheduled to be built. Suspect what happened was the deal I had cut with them was so good that when an another customer came along willing to pay more, they gave the other customer my build slot. Pretty sleazy.

All the others (Catena, Flemington, Princeton, Towne, and Prestige) have consistently been less negotiable with pricing

Reactions: pdidrew
My perspective for the benefit of the OP.

Here's how I look at your situation. The 2017 Macan Turbo was probably in the mid $90K MSRP and you got it at $70K ball park. It's close to 2 year old.
Regardless of the model year it only had 9,500 so to me seemed almost new regardless of the model year. 2017 was also a refresh of the PCM I believe.

CPO mileage warranty of 100K is more likely irrelevant and you have 4 year warranty left, just like buying a new car.
The mileage limit to me was very important as I do 10-12 round trips from Philly area to Maine each year. I hit 100,000 in my prior DD a Sport Trac in 4 1/2 years. Still have it BTW.

The 2017 Macan Turbo when speced new can be had with at least 8% discount or $8K off (I know I did) so you got a 2 year old car with $16K off.
Since the OP is considering CPO vs is new the comparison should be with a 2021. In my case a similarly configured Turbo would be around $102,000 with the discount it probably be in the ball park of my MSRP.

Meanwhile the 2 year old Macan Turbo depreciates more than $16K, the most out of all Macan trim levels. My guestimate is about $20K depreciation.
/QUOTE]
A used GTS will depreciate less than a new Turbo.

The new Macan Turbo jumped up in performance to the level of the PP, and better tech with the new and bigger PCM while the MSRP still stay in the upper $90K.
I prefer the 3.6L Turbo over the 2.9L in spite of the increase in HP from 400 to 440. A COBB tune on the 3.6 will get it to 475 or so. Is there a COBB tune yet available for the 2.9? If I was going new I would probably go GTS thinking that the HP/TQ ultimate potential of both the GTS and Turbo

The mileage limit to me was very important as I do 10-12 round trips from Philly area to Maine each year. I hit 100,000 in my prior DD a Sport Trac in 4 1/2 years. Still have it BTW.
If you intend to drive it that much then it makes better sense to spend less with more warranty. A CPO late model year with 5 year left of warranty like an S would be an even better choice I would think.

Didn't see it but smokers package adds a tiny ashtray and cigarette light outlet with cover to front console. Also on pre 2019 you got a rear ashtray. On 2019+ same on front but rear ashtray is gone. It is a nice feature for the cover as it makes the console look complete vs the opening.

As to further comments, the 2018 turbo PP performance is faster in the mid range due to the larger engine. I have owned a 2015 turbo and now the 2020 turbo. My dealer sales person has the 2018 PP turbo. I can tell you that the low end torque is much better on the gen 1. That is the biggest thing I noticed vs the two gens. It is also louder which I liked vs the new motor, and my old one had stock exhaust vs the sport on the 2020. The two gens biggest difference is the engine, PCM and rear design look. Front hasn't really changed that much. Drive both and you will see the torque difference. If we had known the engine would be smaller and the extra long wait. We would have bought a gen 1 turbo pp. The new PCM is nice for screen size but if you use apple car play, it is a moot point as all the extra features from the pcm wont be used. I do miss the low end torque of the old car.

One last item I forgot, new turbo has the surface coated brakes. look at the replacement costs on sunset, they only last 30% longer than the steels so getting pccb was a no brainer for us even though replacement cost is more as they last alot longer. Mostly likely the life time of the vehicle in normal driving.

If you intend to drive it that much then it makes better sense to spend less with more warranty. A CPO late model year with 5 year left of warranty like an S would be an even better choice I would think.
Not if you really wanted the 3.6 Turbo. Was hopping for the performance package too. The ones I found either had too many miles or had a color scheme that was a deal breaker.

Link to Turbo w PP? My PP is PTS and love uniqueness of it

Found it. PTS fashion gray and black Interior w yellow deviated stitching. Well, fashion gray is almost chalk, so you might lose some of the uniqueness of the PTS since 99% won’t be able to tell the difference unless both Macans are right nex to each other. On the other hand, it is well optioned like mine with PCCBs (which are amazing) and has burmester and PTV. Also has sport design package. I’d lean towards that one over a new GTS

Not if you really wanted the 3.6 Turbo. Was hopping for the performance package too. The ones I found either had too many miles or had a color scheme that was a deal breaker.
I had gen 1 Turbo for two years and in comparison, the gen 2 Turbo is a better Macan than the gen 1 both in performance and tech. If you want performance as in the PP, I wouldn't settle for the gen 1 Turbo. If cost is more importance, that's fine too. There are plenty of Macans for everyone to choose from, there's no right or wrong answer. Enjoy yours! :)

the 2018 turbo PP performance is faster in the mid range due to the larger engine. I have owned a 2015 turbo and now the 2020 turbo. My dealer sales person has the 2018 PP turbo. I can tell you that the low end torque is much better on the gen 1. That is the biggest thing I noticed vs the two gens. It is also louder which I liked vs the new motor, and my old one had stock exhaust vs the sport on the 2020. The two gens biggest difference is the engine, PCM and rear design look. Front hasn't really changed that much. Drive both and you will see the torque difference. If we had known the engine would be smaller and the extra long wait. We would have bought a gen 1 turbo pp. The new PCM is nice for screen size but if you use apple car play, it is a moot point as all the extra features from the pcm wont be used. I do miss the low end torque of the old car.
Very much agree. We own both the Gen 1 GTS and Turbo, and are about to order a new GTS to replace the current GTS. I test drove the new Turbo three times. Granted overall it’s probably faster, but you need to get the engine speed up over 3000 RPM to get to the power band. The power characteristics remind me of our current GTS.

I keep thinking of the old saying “there is no replacement for displacement”.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I wouldn’t get either one. But that is me. If you don’t get the turbo, at some time you will wish you had. Now IF it was me, I would save a lot of money ( and maybe buy another toy!) and get a 2017 Turbo with low miles . Look for one that has the options you really want, don’t worry about CPO...it is not that great anyway as this is a pretty solid car. Put a Cobb tune on it and drive.
Recently I saw a 2015 Turbo with 49k miles..options of Burmeister, air suspension, sport chrono, 21 inch wheels, stainless steel brush guards, full leather, Sun roof, heated cooled seats, heated steering wheel, carbon fiber, exhaust tips, embossed head restraints, even had a hidden hitch already install and almost new tires. It was locally owned , sold and serviced by the local dealership. It had 100k sicker price in 2015 and sold for 46K
last month. There are good deals out there.
Thank you for this suggestion! As evidenced by this thread, I am still trying to determine the best course of action so appreciate you raising this alternative.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
The smoking package is free . Porsche rarely gives anything for free. It also gives a cover rather tap a hole but that's not the main reason I spec it on my cars . If I ever go to sell the car that package is expensive to retrofit so it eliminates any smoker used car shopper . Now granted I not only don't smoke but the idea of someone smoking in my car even after I sold it disturbs me . Nonetheless its adds value without any cost.

I believe Gaudin is the Vegas dealership . I have never read anything negative . In New York you are near both Catena and Paul Miller . They are in New Jersey. People like @Shark know them better than I do. From what i have read Miller is a home run hitter in service and both are relatively firm on price , (but are negotiable) I myself have never been to any dealership I mentioned . I am only writing things that I have read over a gazillion years of posting .
Thank you for adding this color. I have heard good things about Ray Catena as a brand but don't have any personal experience. Thanks for sharing!

I had gen 1 Turbo for two years and in comparison, the gen 2 Turbo is a better Macan than the gen 1 both in performance and tech. If you want performance as in the PP, I wouldn't settle for the gen 1 Turbo. If cost is more importance, that's fine too. There are plenty of Macans for everyone to choose from, there's no right or wrong answer. Enjoy yours! :)
I can't argue with your subjective driving experience but I think the numbers (from Wikipedia) go to the Gen 1 Turbo. Big difference in TQ.
Macan Turbo3.6-litre (3604cc) V6 twin-turbo400 PS (294 kW; 395 bhp) at 6,000550 N⋅m (406 lbf⋅ft) at 1,350–4,500266 km/h (165 mph)
Macan Turbo w/Perf. Pkg3.6-litre (3604cc) V6 twin-turbo440 PS (324 kW; 434 bhp) at 6,000600 N⋅m (443 lbf⋅ft) at 1,500–4,500270 km/h (168 mph)
Macan Turbo2020-present2.9L (2894cc) Twin Turbo V6440 PS (324 kW; 434 hp) at 5,700 - 6,600550 N⋅m (406 lbf⋅ft) at 1,800 - 5,600167 mph (269 km/h)

Don't know about the OP but since I couldn't find a PP Turbo, I was factoring in the potential gains from a COBB tune. The potential gains from a software only tune to the 2.9L will be significantly less than what is available for the 3.6L. Like Chris in Philly said: “there is no replacement for displacement”.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Historically Paul Miller has had a good reputation, but If you are considering them you might want to read this recent thread:

I find that experience so scary, not sure I would ever go back there for service. I've had good experiences as a Mercedes customer with Catena's service department. Excellent for warranty work, but for non warranty work their prices are breathtaking. But I've never had a Porsche serviced there (yet). Their Service Departments for the different brands they sell are in the same building. But as a Mercedes customer I repeatedly found their sales department to be plain dishonest.

I have quite a bit of experience with sales as I've helped several other friends and co-workers buy Macans. Actually Paul Miller has consistently been one of the more negotiable dealers. The most hungry dealer in northern/central NJ seems to be Monmouth, a Penske franchise. But I had a bad experience there. Ordered a car there that never arrived. They gave my build slot to another customer, and then lied to me about what had happened. Claimed my car was delayed because of the PCM shortage several years ago when Porsche's Japanese supplier had a fire in their plant . How do I know? I was able to find the Macan that was built with my commission number the same month mine was scheduled to be built. Suspect what happened was the deal I had cut with them was so good that when an another customer came along willing to pay more, they gave the other customer my build slot. Pretty sleazy.

All the others (Catena, Flemington, Princeton, Towne, and Prestige) have consistently been less negotiable with pricing
That thread is indeed terrifying, thank you for sharing. The additional info regarding NJ dealerships is super helpful. I would certainly be furious if a dealership sold my car to someone else and then lied about it. When thinking about dealers do you try to optimize for price on the buy and service for.. service? Or just find a good relationship and stick with it? Thanks!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Didn't see it but smokers package adds a tiny ashtray and cigarette light outlet with cover to front console. Also on pre 2019 you got a rear ashtray. On 2019+ same on front but rear ashtray is gone. It is a nice feature for the cover as it makes the console look complete vs the opening.

As to further comments, the 2018 turbo PP performance is faster in the mid range due to the larger engine. I have owned a 2015 turbo and now the 2020 turbo. My dealer sales person has the 2018 PP turbo. I can tell you that the low end torque is much better on the gen 1. That is the biggest thing I noticed vs the two gens. It is also louder which I liked vs the new motor, and my old one had stock exhaust vs the sport on the 2020. The two gens biggest difference is the engine, PCM and rear design look. Front hasn't really changed that much. Drive both and you will see the torque difference. If we had known the engine would be smaller and the extra long wait. We would have bought a gen 1 turbo pp. The new PCM is nice for screen size but if you use apple car play, it is a moot point as all the extra features from the pcm wont be used. I do miss the low end torque of the old car.

One last item I forgot, new turbo has the surface coated brakes. look at the replacement costs on sunset, they only last 30% longer than the steels so getting pccb was a no brainer for us even though replacement cost is more as they last alot longer. Mostly likely the life time of the vehicle in normal driving.
Thank you for all the details here!

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Found it. PTS fashion gray and black Interior w yellow deviated stitching. Well, fashion gray is almost chalk, so you might lose some of the uniqueness of the PTS since 99% won’t be able to tell the difference unless both Macans are right nex to each other. On the other hand, it is well optioned like mine with PCCBs (which are amazing) and has burmester and PTV. Also has sport design package. I’d lean towards that one over a new GTS
It's funny you mention this, I personally think the similarity to chalk and badge delete detract a bit from the look. Which color PTS did you go with?

That thread is indeed terrifying, thank you for sharing. The additional info regarding NJ dealerships is super helpful. I would certainly be furious if a dealership sold my car to someone else and then lied about it. When thinking about dealers do you try to optimize for price on the buy and service for.. service? Or just find a good relationship and stick with it? Thanks!
Price has been my priority. I know others here will disagree with me, but I put little effort into any relationship as it's more likely than not I will ever benefit from it. There is zero chance I'm going to be in the market for a difficult to acquire Porsche like a GT car, and the non warranty service I don't do myself has always been done at indys.

Monmouth did not sell my car to someone else. They gave my build slot to someone else, and then lied about what had happened. Even worse, they knew for a while I was not getting my car and never said a word to me about it until I started asking questions about when the car would be arriving. I was able to see the build that was done with my commission number and it was substantially different than what I had ordered.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Monmouth did not sell my car to someone else. They gave my build slot to someone else. I was able to see the build and it was substantially different than what I ordered.
[/QUOTE]

This is less galling but only slightly so - at least someone isn't driving around in your actual car. Thanks again for sharing.

It's funny you mention this, I personally think the similarity to chalk and badge delete detract a bit from the look. Which color PTS did you go with?
it is in my signature. I got it CPO, but it's non-metallic Slate Gray. I don't like the badge delete either, rather it be black.

I can't argue with your subjective driving experience but I think the numbers (from Wikipedia) go to the Gen 1 Turbo. Big difference in TQ.
Macan Turbo3.6-litre (3604cc) V6 twin-turbo400 PS (294 kW; 395 bhp) at 6,000550 N⋅m (406 lbf⋅ft) at 1,350–4,500266 km/h (165 mph)
Macan Turbo w/Perf. Pkg3.6-litre (3604cc) V6 twin-turbo440 PS (324 kW; 434 bhp) at 6,000600 N⋅m (443 lbf⋅ft) at 1,500–4,500270 km/h (168 mph)
Macan Turbo2020-present2.9L (2894cc) Twin Turbo V6440 PS (324 kW; 434 hp) at 5,700 - 6,600550 N⋅m (406 lbf⋅ft) at 1,800 - 5,600167 mph (269 km/h)

Don't know about the OP but since I couldn't find a PP Turbo, I was factoring in the potential gains from a COBB tune. The potential gains from a software only tune to the 2.9L will be significantly less than what is available for the 3.6L. Like Chris in Philly said: “there is no replacement for displacement”.
When comparing apple to apple for the Turbo models, the new one is quite quicker by all accounts not only because of the HP bump. The placement of the new twin turbos provide instantaneous boost for the 2.9L. The 2020 Car & Driver's 0-60 test had it at 3.5s vs 4.2s for the 2015 Macan Turbo. When the Cobb tune is installed on the older Turbo generation, the drivability suffered noticeably on my 2015 Turbo. The Macan is the worst tune from Cobb in my opinion of all the Porsche flash tunes I have installed - 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2, 2017 Macan GTS, and 2015 Macan Turbo. If you really want the highest performance you can drive, Cobb is NOT the way to go. Either Macan w/PP or new Turbo.

Reactions: andreasbiebl
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.