Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

What an awesome forum! As a potential first time Macan buyer, the info here is awesome.

As the title implies, I’m trying to decide between two cars and would love feedback.

Trying to decide between a 2018 13k miles, PTS, Macan Turbo with the performance package vs a 2021 Macan GTS built to my spec.

Both are right around 100k, ’18 had a low 130s MSRP when new.

Would be curious which people prefer.

Thanks!
Drew

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
108 Posts
Hi Everyone!

What an awesome forum! As a potential first time Macan buyer, the info here is awesome.

As the title implies, I’m trying to decide between two cars and would love feedback.

Trying to decide between a 2018 13k miles, PTS, Macan Turbo with the performance package vs a 2021 Macan GTS built to my spec.

Both are right around 100k, ’18 had a low 130s MSRP when new.

Would be curious which people prefer.

Thanks!
Drew
Well, I am probably partial since I have a 2018 Macan Turbo PP, so I would go that route, though would be curious to test drive a new GTS. But at the end of the day, the old PP combines the best of both worlds, Turbo Power and lower factory stance. I know which Macan Turbo PP you refer to, if I did not have one already I'd get that one for sure!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Turbos with the performance package are pretty rare. Is the Turbo CPO’ed? What is it’s warranty start date? You may get more than four years of warranty with the ‘18 Turbo. I think CPO warranties are now unlimited miles rather than the prior 100,000 miles. I’m leaning toward the Turbo. You might be able to get a better price as the new model year will be clicking over soon as the ‘21’s start to come in.

Reactions: pdidrew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am probably partial since I have a 2018 Macan Turbo PP, so I would go that route, though would be curious to test drive a new GTS. But at the end of the day, the old PP combines the best of both worlds, Turbo Power and lower factory stance. I know which Macan Turbo PP you refer to, if I did not have one already I'd get that one for sure!
Appreciate the response. It certainly is a sharp looking car and the uniqueness of PTS is pretty cool. Anything about the turbo w/pp that you don't like or would change? Have you done any mods?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbos with the performance package are pretty rare. Is the Turbo CPO’ed? What is it’s warranty start date? You may get more than four years of warranty with the ‘18 Turbo. I think CPO warranties are now unlimited miles rather than the prior 100,000 miles. I’m leaning toward the Turbo. You might be able to get a better price as the new model year will be clicking over soon as the ‘21’s start to come in.
Car is not CPO'ed and has about 18 months left of warranty or ~35k miles.

Dealership is a Porsche dealer so may be willing to add a CPO warranty. I know other brands are sometimes amenable to this, but not sure if Porsche dealers will add CPO to non-CPO cars. Anyone know if this is common? Any ideas on cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
If they don't CPO it I would walk. It may mean a previous accident. I have a Turbo PP also and love it. It has everything a GTS has with 440 HP. Very fast. If I couldn't get the Turbo CPO's I would lean towards the new GTS. I think 100k is kind of pricey despite the 130k msrp. I would think around 90 would be reasonable.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
The 2018 TurboPP is exceptionally well optioned. CPO generally adds $2500 to the price tag, assuming it has a clean Carfax and qualifies for CPO. Probably some negotiating room on price, as mentioned in the previous post. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments/info. $2500 is consistent with what I have seen for cost of CPO from other manufacturers. Assuming nothing wrong with the car - would a dealership have any reason to be unwilling to CPO a car if the buyer was willing to add $2500 to the price? Said differently, is unwillingness to CPO a car a red flag or a yellow flag?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Carfax looks clean, the fact that it does not have CPO would not scare me at all, I would inquire if it can be added. My hunch is that they did not include it to keep the price under $100k out of the gate. To your question Drew, I love the Macan Turbo PP, would not change anything other than I miss Burmester, which you have in your spec. Again, I have not driven any of the new GTS or Turbo models but cannot imagine either one being better. I like Max from AutoptopNL on YT and sent him an email before buying mine and he endorsed the old PP over the new Turbo from a performance perspective. Anyhow, the combo that this car offers is pretty unique, will be hard to find again or would be extra costly to spec if you do your own build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carfax looks clean, the fact that it does not have CPO would not scare me at all, I would inquire if it can be added. My hunch is that they did not include it to keep the price under $100k out of the gate. To your question Drew, I love the Macan Turbo PP, would not change anything other than I miss Burmester, which you have in your spec. Again, I have not driven any of the new GTS or Turbo models but cannot imagine either one being better. I like Max from AutoptopNL on YT and sent him an email before buying mine and he endorsed the old PP over the new Turbo from a performance perspective. Anyhow, the combo that this car offers is pretty unique, will be hard to find again or would be extra costly to spec if you do your own build.
Thank you very much for taking the time to look and for the detailed response. Will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say about a CPO.

My current DD is an e 63 amg which has the burmester 3d optioned - it's pretty amazing and has spoiled me. I bought that car as a CPO also - it's even better when someone else has to pay to spec it and I just get to listen to it. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to look and for the detailed response. Will be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say about a CPO.

My current DD is an e 63 amg which has the burmester 3d optioned - it's pretty amazing and has spoiled me. I bought that car as a CPO also - it's even better when someone else has to pay to spec it and I just get to listen to it. :)
Nice. I test drove an AMG 63 GLC a couple of years ago. The engine had great grunt but I thought the drive was unrefined and the cornering dynamics did not come close to my Macan GTS (which I had before the Turbo PP). As for the Burmester, the Porsche option is extremely expensive, so I would not be surprised if it is better than in the Mercedes GLC AMG. I think only the Mercedes S class has the top of line Burmester. But either way, it will be great sound!

·
Registered
339 Posts
If they don't CPO it I would walk. It may mean a previous accident.
CPO does not mean no accidents. In fact, Porsche’s CPO specifications specifically allow for them. On top of that, the forum has seen repeated examples of CPO cars which were later discovered To have been in serious accidents because some dealers don’t correctly perform the CPO inspection. You need to get an independent prepurchase inspection to protect yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CPO does not mean no accidents. In fact, Porsche’s CPO specifications specifically allow for them. On top of that, the forum has seen repeated examples of CPO cars which were later discovered To have been in serious accidents because some dealers don’t correctly perform the CPO inspection. You need to get an independent prepurchase inspection to protect yourself.
Thank you for mentioning this. Any suggestions how to arrange/research the best/most qualified ppi in a market you don't live in? Most of the services I have come across are national services that get horrible reviews.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Lack of major accidents. I meant any big damage. There has to be a reason the dealer wouldn't CPO the car, and I doubt it had to do with the price point. They actually get a higher price on a CPO. Maybe it's lacking OEM parts, or had more than a fender bender. If they can't/won't CPO the car, I would walk.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Thank you for mentioning this. Any suggestions how to arrange/research the best/most qualified ppi in a market you don't live in? Most of the services I have come across are national services that get horrible reviews.
A good source can be your local PCA chapter.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I found your car . The car fax looks spotless . The car itself looks beautiful . 100K is a lot though .

This is a very tough decision . I believe the dealership will CPO the car but expect more money so they are leaving the choice open ended .

So .... my opinion I myself am looking at buying a GTS . I am simply waiting to see the direction of this economy a little longer and hanging onto my 18 GTS in the meantime . As much as I like that car you are looking at it's not a new car . I also feel its way too high to spec a GTS at 100K .You must be overloading it to get it there . I go the opposite direction of shaving down my builds because after 25 years of buying the cars it gets old to lose 30-40 grand every 3 years .

If that 100K is a must for the GTS I'd buy that Turbo . If I need a car today I'd buy that Turbo . However if I really wanted to be practical (after all this is an SUV) I'd shave that 100K off that GTS into the low 80's and buy a new car .

It;'s very easy to get swept off ones feet with Porsche buying infatuation . The good part is neither is a bad choice . Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found your car . The car fax looks spotless . The car itself looks beautiful . 100K is a lot though .

This is a very tough decision . I believe the dealership will CPO the car but expect more money so they are leaving the choice open ended .

So .... my opinion I myself am looking at buying a GTS . I am simply waiting to see the direction of this economy a little longer and hanging onto my 18 GTS in the meantime . As much as I like that car you are looking at it's not a new car . I also feel its way too high to spec a GTS at 100K .You must be overloading it to get it there . I go the opposite direction of shaving down my builds because after 25 years of buying the cars it gets old to lose 30-40 grand every 3 years .

If that 100K is a must for the GTS I'd buy that Turbo . If I need a car today I'd buy that Turbo . However if I really wanted to be practical (after all this is an SUV) I'd shave that 100K off that GTS into the low 80's and buy a new car .

It;'s very easy to get swept off ones feet with Porsche buying infatuation . The good part is neither is a bad choice . Good luck.
'It's very easy to get swept off one's feet with Porsche buying..' So it would appear! :) This will be my first Porsche but I can see how it could quickly become addicting. Thank you for sharing your perspective, over-specing is probably not super-wise. Certain options probably seem more important when deep in the weeds before a purchase.

One thing I have a hard time understanding the value of... if I purchase a new GTS to my spec, I can purchase it from my local dealer and begin the process of building a relationship for the future. It's hard for me to gauge though - will buying one GTS Macan even register on the radar of a dealer so as to ascribe any value to it?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'd definitely would go the way @yrralis1 suggested. I'd either go new and pare down the option list to a lower price point or go new for a Turbo. I like the performance of the new Turbo much better than the GTS. You should test drive them both. The advantage of the new Macan outweigh whatever cost advantage the used Macan has. The newer PCM in the new Macan also makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
It's hard for me to gauge though - will buying one GTS Macan even register on the radar of a dealer so as to ascribe any value to it?
My short answer is NO in this case! I never find it to be true, now more than ever when people buy/service from different dealers all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd definitely would go the way @yrralis1 suggested. I'd either go new and pare down the option list to a lower price point or go new for a Turbo. I like the performance of the new Turbo much better than the GTS. You should test drive them both. The advantage of the new Macan outweigh whatever cost advantage the used Macan has. The newer PCM in the new Macan also makes a world of difference.
Thanks for jumping in! Is the main difference between an 18 turbo w/pp vs a 20 turbo the updated PCM? Are there any other major differences that give the 20 an advantage? Is there rumored to be a PP or S on this generation of Macan in the future?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts