Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to here, im deciding between a slightly use 2021 Macan GTS, pretty much fully loaded with the color i want, OR the 2022 CAYENNE COUPE, which i will be ordering from my local dealer here in Taiwan.
the price of a brand new cayenne coupe with a little option is about the SAME as a slightly used 2021 MACAN GTS(4000KM), i am just considering that the life cycle of the macan, and with the cayenne coupe being pretty new still, should i go for the Cayenne coupe instead? but it means that i will be sacrificing a lot of performance of the Macan GTS for it.....how do you guys think though??
thank you for all your opinions!

andrew

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
I like the look of the Cayenne Coupe much more than the normal Cayenne. But to advise you we need to know what you want in a car. If it's performance/handling, GTS all day. If you want space, the coupe is going to offer more, at a weight tradeoff. Obviously this being a Macan forum you will see a bias toward that Macan GTS.

I'm not sure how lifecycle plays in, are you talking resale, reliability, something else?

Best thing would be to test drive each through the kind of driving you typically do.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
@Gachnar raises good points. They're pretty different vehicles, so how you plan to use the car will affect what works best for you now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Andrew, I am in agreement with @ddx77. The handling and performance along, Macan GTS wins every aspect over a base Cayenne Coupe. As other said, you will need to ask yourself what you want in a car. As I came from Taiwan originally, I know how the traffics is in Taiwan and there is a speed camera trap literally every other intersection on local streets and every few kms on a freeway. You wouldn't be able to drive at a steady high speed for too long before you have to slow down. However, you can enjoy the quick and robust back pushing launch from a stoplight to the next one if you go with GTS. I am a 2021 Macan GTS owner myself and I can tell you the GTS is really fun to drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a base Cayenne Coupe as a loaner for about a week earlier this year.
A few things I experienced during that time.

Things I liked about the Cayenne Coupe:
Definitely roomier, especially in the back seats. Also the width of the vehicle makes it feel very spacious.
Much better cargo area although it was the Coupe version.
Has more modern tech compared to my 2017 Macan GTS.
Even the base has adequate power for everyday driving but didn’t give me the “excitement” I get when driving the GTS.
Seemed to have better mileage compared to my GTS altough it’s a heavier car. This may be due to the fact that I didn’t end up driving it the way I do with my Macan.

Things I didn’t like:
The black piano surfaces which drove me nuts although I tried not to really care since it is not my car.
Difficult to see the gauges on both ends as the view is obstructed by the steering wheel if the wheel was set at my preferred position.
Big car for NYC when compared to nimbler Macan.
Too quiet although for some reason the Cayenne Coupe had the Sports Exhaust which was the only performance option it had - not much of a car with a character.
When considering the base Cayenne Coupe, other competitors in the price range might be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
While my personal experience is from the older generation of Cayenne (base 958 from 2011) and Macan Turbo (95B.1 from 2015), I agree with what others have said, it really depends on your use case and what you're looking for in a car. They are very different vehicles, and while Porsche has significantly improved the base Cayenne over the years, the drive/performance is going to be night and day compared to a Macan GTS. I had base Cayenne (not Coupe) as a loaner not too long ago and it drove great, much better than what I remember from mine, however, I'm a Macan guy all the way and still miss mine.

Reactions: soaristo

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I drive an ‘18 Macan Turbo. I had to drop it off for the DCT fluid change. I got a Cayenne for two days. It felt like a boat. Suspension was sloppy and all-season tires didn’t help. Mine is stock. Now, if the rumors are true, the GTS has better balance and handling than my Turbo. You have a conundrum. A smaller flashier package with great handling or *-IMO, bump up the payments and get the Cayenne Turbo S. Eat Spam twice a week to help make the payments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me the size (plus performance) weighs heavily. I have come from forty plus years of almost exclusively driving the smallest available BMW available (2002's, every three series, one series, two series... ) so going with a '21 Macan GTS is a BIG change (pun intended). The Macan is a big car for me but I love it. Great steering and handling can be comfy daily or just shocking fast and fun in the backroads. I will keep it a long time and truly enjoy it. I am getting used to the size, maneuvering tight spots, parking and so on. If you have narrow roads this could be important.

I have not driven a Cayenne but I generally like the aesthetics of it. I do not need the extra space so for me it would not be a consideration. I have a friend in the real estate business who needs the room to take clients to see properties and the Cayenne Coupe works well for her. Which best suits your needs?

I also agree with previous comments about real buttons vs hard to clean, or see touch screens. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
966 Posts
For me the size (plus performance) weighs heavily. I have come from forty plus years of almost exclusively driving the smallest available BMW available (2002's, every three series, one series, two series... ) so going with a '21 Macan GTS is a BIG change (pun intended). The Macan is a big car for me but I love it. Great steering and handling can be comfy daily or just shocking fast and fun in the backroads. I will keep it a long time and truly enjoy it. I am getting used to the size, maneuvering tight spots, parking and so on. If you have narrow roads this could be important.

I have not driven a Cayenne but I generally like the aesthetics of it. I do not need the extra space so for me it would not be a consideration. I have a friend in the real estate business who needs the room to take clients to see properties and the Cayenne Coupe works well for her. Which best suits your needs?

I also agree with previous comments about real buttons vs hard to clean, or see touch screens. Good luck with your decision.
Aside, welcome to the forum, I came in from a 3 series myself. The Macan is sporty in a different way, but it's heavier, so just keep that in mind or you might find yourself sliding through a corner and spending a thousand (if you are lucky) fixing rock chips. Don't ask me how I know :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Andrew, I am in agreement with @ddx77. The handling and performance along, Macan GTS wins every aspect over a base Cayenne Coupe. As other said, you will need to ask yourself what you want in a car. As I came from Taiwan originally, I know how the traffics is in Taiwan and there is a speed camera trap literally every other intersection on local streets and every few kms on a freeway. You wouldn't be able to drive at a steady high speed for too long before you have to slow down. However, you can enjoy the quick and robust back pushing launch from a stoplight to the next one if you go with GTS. I am a 2021 Macan GTS owner myself and I can tell you the GTS is really fun to drive.
thank you very much! yea as you know the traffic is pretty bad here in taipei city, i too care for the handling and performance aspect when i look for a car, seems like everyone recommend the macan gts over a base cayenne coupe.
i have 3 kids but they are all still pretty small, and we have another car that can seat 7 people. Thats what made me think about getting the macan gts. However, if its Cayenne Gts coupe, would you take it over the Macan GTS though?

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base - Volcano Grey / Black & Mojave Beige
19 Posts
Cayenne GTS Coupe all the way. You better get over to the Cayenne forum now. lol :) Just my opinion, you can't go wrong with either GTS model.

thank you very much! yea as you know the traffic is pretty bad here in taipei city, i too care for the handling and performance aspect when i look for a car, seems like everyone recommend the macan gts over a base cayenne coupe.
i have 3 kids but they are all still pretty small, and we have another car that can seat 7 people. Thats what made me think about getting the macan gts. However, if its Cayenne Gts coupe, would you take it over the Macan GTS though?

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your budget covers the Cayenne GTS coupe territory and the parking and small street maneuvering is not a concern to you then, **** yea! Go for Cayenne GTS coupe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a base Cayenne Coupe as a loaner for about a week earlier this year.
A few things I experienced during that time.

Things I liked about the Cayenne Coupe:
Definitely roomier, especially in the back seats. Also the width of the vehicle makes it feel very spacious.
Much better cargo area although it was the Coupe version.
Has more modern tech compared to my 2017 Macan GTS.
Even the base has adequate power for everyday driving but didn’t give me the “excitement” I get when driving the GTS.
Seemed to have better mileage compared to my GTS altough it’s a heavier car. This may be due to the fact that I didn’t end up driving it the way I do with my Macan.

Things I didn’t like:
The black piano surfaces which drove me nuts although I tried not to really care since it is not my car.
Difficult to see the gauges on both ends as the view is obstructed by the steering wheel if the wheel was set at my preferred position.
Big car for NYC when compared to nimbler Macan.
Too quiet although for some reason the Cayenne Coupe had the Sports Exhaust which was the only performance option it had - not much of a car with a character.
When considering the base Cayenne Coupe, other competitors in the price range might be a better choice.
thank you for your opinion!
Only if it's a Cayenne S Coupe or GTS Coupe

If no..... Macan GTS :)
If your budget covers the Cayenne GTS coupe territory and the parking and small street maneuvering is not a concern to you then, **** yea! Go for Cayenne GTS coupe.
thanks!!! now i am thinking about adding more budget and either get the cayenne GTS coupe or just simply stay with Macan GTS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts