Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new GTS as a loaner. What have they done to the beautiful sound of the PSE? Sounds more like a Toyota versus my first Gen PSE. I’ve been thinking of trading mine in on a new one, but this is extremely disappointing. I apologize if this has been discussed before but I did a search on ”Exhaust“ and “PSE” and found no discussion of this.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a brand new GTS as a loaner. What have they done to the beautiful sound of the PSE? Sounds more like a Toyota versus my first Gen PSE. I’ve been thinking of trading mine in on a new one, but this is extremely disappointing. I apologize if this has been discussed before but I did a search on ”Exhaust“ and “PSE” and found no discussion of this.
I have definitely noticed the same, although I would describe it more like my daughter’s Hyundai Santa Fe versus a Toyota. There have been a number of similar complaints by members of the forum here. I believe there was some mention of European regulations having to do with the exhaust.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here's another question...do you have a soft limiter on yours?

I was expecting a soft limiter on mine, but it definitely can rev to redline in park/neutral. It does auto-upshift at redline but only after one little ping against the limiter...which apparently isn't normal either?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
[USER=150828]@Digby, I agree with you. Several members have posted this, maybe under '21 GTS first impressions, or Gen 2 vs Gen 1 or some similar title. I've been one of the most 'vocal', if one can be vocal on a forum! I likened the sound to a japanese car trying to sound sporty. And I can't do a default 'off' of SE with the 'individual' setting on the sport chrono dial if I want to drive in sport or sport-plus mode. Disappointing. Frankly, my Wife's S sounds throatier, and it doesn't even have SE. :mad:

Reactions: Porsche Steve

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
A Toyota? Really? My 2021 GTS doesn't sound anything like our Lexus NX or our v6 Rav4 before it...there's nothing disappointing about it at all, makes lots of awesome sound, very vocal.
I agree. The PSE on the new Gen II 2.9L engine is not as bad as a Toyota. I too was disappointed when I first heard the PSE on my 2020 GTS compared to my old 2018 GTS, but it's not Toyota bad.

Thankfully I've noticed the exhaust note has got a bit deeper after a few thousand miles.

Reactions: GLM_PNW and 95B3.6

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I agree. The PSE on the new Gen II 2.9L engine is not as bad as a Toyota. I too was disappointed when I first heard the PSE on my 2020 GTS compared to my old 2018 GTS, but it's not Toyota bad.

Thankfully I've noticed the exhaust note has got a bit deeper after a few thousand miles.
Here's hoping! I've only got 1500 miles or so on mine.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Here's hoping! I've only got 1500 miles or so on mine.
Sounds even better when the PSE is activated in Sport Plus mode....but still not as deep as the Gen I....:(

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
278 Posts
If still unhappy with exhaust note after break in period, Put on an AWE Touring exhaust and listen to the wonderful powerful exhaust notes ala Pavarotti :) As an added bonus, you can reproduce the more pronounced grumbles, burbles and pops at will in Sport mode manual shift mode

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
200 Posts
Sounds even better when the PSE is activated in Sport Plus mode....but still not as deep as the Gen I....:(
Yeah, I figure if it's not sounding good enough, you're not accelerating hard enough. :cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Coincidentally enough I was just watching this video of a 2021 GTS delivery and during the revs, I was thinking to myself how different it sounded compared to the 95b.1 cars. The new cars have a much higher pitched note with less of a deep growl

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I also believe that some artificial sound has been 'piped in' to the interior. Even with SE off, under hard acceleration the noise inside is raspy, not the sound I want with SE off. Sometimes, I just want to enjoy some tunes, or some peace and quiet. A step backwards, IMO.>

Reactions: andreasbiebl

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had an M4 with exhaust note I never grew to love--lost a lot of money to get out of that car. My GTS is still in break in with 700 miles but I rev it to 4500 to hear the exhaust. While the sound obviously has not won everyone over, I enjoy it and would not describe it as "raspy". Is it hoarse or harsh sounding, no.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just reached 2000 miles on my 2021 GTS and yes it does not sound as deep as my old 2018 GTS was but the new one
does not sound that bad. One thing it does open up a little from new. Do I like it as much as the 2018, probably not but its growing on me. And yes you can hear it inside the vehicle more even with the PSE off. I don't think it is piped in audio like some other cars my thinking it is a resonator under the car. The after run burbles are nice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree it’s a huge disappointment. Wonder if it’s related to the use of an Audi engine instead of a Porsche engine. Funny how Porsche’s marketing materials don’t mention this fact. Absolutely no difference with Sport + mode here. There have been numerous complaints about this.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
@SomeGuy, I agree with you. Several members have posted this, maybe under '21 GTS first impressions, or Gen 2 vs Gen 1 or some similar title. I've been one of the most 'vocal', if one can be vocal on a forum! I likened the sound to a japanese car trying to sound sporty. And I can't do a default 'off' of SE with the 'individual' setting on the sport chrono dial if I want to drive in sport or sport-plus mode. Disappointing. Frankly, my Wife's S sounds throatier, and it doesn't even have SE. :mad:

I heard one on the highway up here recently.....I thought it was modded.....for the worst......but sounds like the descriptions reported here........Infiniti fx35 like......to bad...

F6 to the rescue !

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I assumed the Gen 2 has the particulate filters which does muffle the exhaust sound a bit.

John

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
It’s not just the attenuation John from the PF’s.....the tone is.....different.

·
Registered
2021 Macan Turbo
30 Posts
I wish they would have hired the design team that developed the exhaust note for the Subaru STi and let them tune the system....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts