Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bunny, that was brave of you to post your opinion.

I think the base model out sells the rest of the other trims 5 to 1. I’m bummed that Porsche doesn’t develop new engine technology for the base trim.

it’s time that the base trim gets a new engine. Give the base trim a 2.5L or 3L in-line 4 cylinder where you don’t have to press the sport button for the same price or less. These new large displacement 3 cylinder engines with balance shafts kick butt compared to the EA888 that has been 15 years in the making.

the people that bought the base trim paid good money for the car and they deserve better. Its
Time to kill the EA888 and move on to new technology. There is a place for the base model, and it almost fits perfect in the trim eco system.

This has nothing to do with the name or badge, but just plain value. Give the base buyers more value like better brakes, better engine, better suspension, and less electronic fluff like cameras and radar. And give them LED headlights.

For $50k, you can buy a KIA Stinger GT2, or a
Shelby 350 Mustang. A GR Yaris racing machine. BMW M240i, BMW X3 M40i with the legendary in-line 6 cylinder engine, same ZF transmission. That being said about the BMW X3 M40i, how long will it be before people figure this out.

Give the next generation of base trim owners
more value.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It’s not a value brand. It’s a luxury brand. And I would choose a base macan over an x3 any day of the week.
Yah, your right!

But; well maybe not but, I see signs of more value coming in the 2022 S and GTS which maybe will balance out value versus luxery and performance. I really just wanted to say that I would like to see more value and performance in the base model, so that the entire trim line is more robust. So when somebody gets a base loaner, they will say "this a fun car to drive, and I hardly used any gas".

·
Registered
241 Posts
this a fun car to drive, and I hardly used any gas".
That is not going to help them up sell into the more expensive models if you are satisfied with the entry level product.

I have just gone through the exercise of pricing up a 2022 model and they are not really better value, it is just that they have forced you to a higher spec as a default. Doesn’t worry me because I would of ticked those boxes anyway so the value is there for me, maybe not so much for others?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not write this post in order to offend any current Macan base model owners, of which there are many. I'm sure most, if not all, are very pleased with their vehicle. The purpose of my post is to give my personal opinion of the driving experience of a 2021 base model vs what I currently drive. This post is intended for folks browsing this site that are considering purchasing a Macan, but have not yet decided on which model. For perspective, I am the current owner of a completely stock 2018 Macan S. I currently have my car at the local Porsche dealer, and was given a 2021 base Macan as a "loaner" for a couple of days. Upon driving out of the dealer parking lot, I was immediately taken aback by the noticeable difference in torque and acceleration.

I've driven the car for a couple of days now, and to me it does not even feel like I'm driving a Macan. The overall look is basically the same, and the overall interior space is basically the same, but the driving experience is completely different. The biggest difference, by far, is the engine. The 4 cylinder in the base model is, in my opinion, just not suited for this vehicle after having the V-6. It feels anemic and buzzy, whereas the V-6 feels very smooth and power is effortless in comparison. I have seen many, many posts on this site about how the base feels super peppy off the line and I just do not experience that at all. It feels underpowered everywhere in comparison to the V-6.

The sound of the base engine is also a turn-off for me. The V-6 has a nice growl to it, and one of the things I look forward to every day is the initial start up in the morning when it comes to life and rumbles. The base engine sounds strained.

I'm not going to get into the other differences between the base and the S models for purposes of this post. The difference begins and ends with the engine for me. The extra $10,500 for an S vs. a Base would be well worth it, if for no other reason than just the V-6. In my opinion, it completely transforms the performance and driving dynamics to the point that driving a Base feels almost like it's a different vehicle. These opinions are my own, and again, are in no way intended to offend any base owners. I'm sure there are base owners who will disagree with my opinions, and others who have driven or owned both who will also disagree. This is fine, as we're all entitled to our opinions. For those trying to decide which model to buy, and are considering a base vs S or GTS or Turbo (pre-2022), I encourage you to drive a V-6 model and draw your own conclusions.
100% agree. Same happened to me in a test run of the 4 & 6. As soon as I got in the six & turned on the key. No way the 4.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
>>>>while you can say you don't mean to offend saying "buy a base just for the badge" is pretty insulting.
And, it runs the risk of making one appear unsmart.

Just think if you said that to somebody that just wrote an $89 million check for a Gulfstream G650 for their kids…

I mean .. ya never know.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Bunny, that was brave of you to post your opinion.

I think the base model out sells the rest of the other trims 5 to 1. I’m bummed that Porsche doesn’t develop new engine technology for the base trim.

it’s time that the base trim gets a new engine. Give the base trim a 2.5L or 3L in-line 4 cylinder where you don’t have to press the sport button for the same price or less. These new large displacement 3 cylinder engines with balance shafts kick butt compared to the EA888 that has been 15 years in the making.

the people that bought the base trim paid good money for the car and they deserve better. Its
Time to kill the EA888 and move on to new technology. There is a place for the base model, and it almost fits perfect in the trim eco system.

This has nothing to do with the name or badge, but just plain value. Give the base buyers more value like better brakes, better engine, better suspension, and less electronic fluff like cameras and radar. And give them LED headlights.

For $50k, you can buy a KIA Stinger GT2, or a
Shelby 350 Mustang. A GR Yaris racing machine. BMW M240i, BMW X3 M40i with the legendary in-line 6 cylinder engine, same ZF transmission. That being said about the BMW X3 M40i, how long will it be before people figure this out.

Give the next generation of base trim owners
more value.
I believe the global sales numbers suggest Porsche kinda knows what they are doing. My pet peeve with Porsche is the outrageous option list that includes stuff that is standard on most cars. But… those same sales figures suggest they know what they are doing. It’s a Porsche….this is what it costs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe the global sales numbers suggest Porsche kinda knows what they are doing. My pet peeve with Porsche is the outrageous option list that includes stuff that is standard on most cars. But… those same sales figures suggest they know what they are doing. It’s a Porsche….this is what it costs.
Imho Range Rover is even worse with the options game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do not write this post in order to offend any current Macan base model owners, of which there are many. I'm sure most, if not all, are very pleased with their vehicle. The purpose of my post is to give my personal opinion of the driving experience of a 2021 base model vs what I currently drive. This post is intended for folks browsing this site that are considering purchasing a Macan, but have not yet decided on which model. For perspective, I am the current owner of a completely stock 2018 Macan S. I currently have my car at the local Porsche dealer, and was given a 2021 base Macan as a "loaner" for a couple of days. Upon driving out of the dealer parking lot, I was immediately taken aback by the noticeable difference in torque and acceleration.

I've driven the car for a couple of days now, and to me it does not even feel like I'm driving a Macan. The overall look is basically the same, and the overall interior space is basically the same, but the driving experience is completely different. The biggest difference, by far, is the engine. The 4 cylinder in the base model is, in my opinion, just not suited for this vehicle after having the V-6. It feels anemic and buzzy, whereas the V-6 feels very smooth and power is effortless in comparison. I have seen many, many posts on this site about how the base feels super peppy off the line and I just do not experience that at all. It feels underpowered everywhere in comparison to the V-6.

The sound of the base engine is also a turn-off for me. The V-6 has a nice growl to it, and one of the things I look forward to every day is the initial start up in the morning when it comes to life and rumbles. The base engine sounds strained.

I'm not going to get into the other differences between the base and the S models for purposes of this post. The difference begins and ends with the engine for me. The extra $10,500 for an S vs. a Base would be well worth it, if for no other reason than just the V-6. In my opinion, it completely transforms the performance and driving dynamics to the point that driving a Base feels almost like it's a different vehicle. These opinions are my own, and again, are in no way intended to offend any base owners. I'm sure there are base owners who will disagree with my opinions, and others who have driven or owned both who will also disagree. This is fine, as we're all entitled to our opinions. For those trying to decide which model to buy, and are considering a base vs S or GTS or Turbo (pre-2022), I encourage you to drive a V-6 model and draw your own conclusions.
I understand your thought process and the sensation that is the v6. For some of us, less is actually more. Like another poster hear im coming out of a q5. I drove a 2018 S and i really liked it. i was going to get it, and my salesman(who i bought a new Carrera from 14 years ago) suggested i drive a new base for just a little more money, i ordered it. i really liked the tech, the light bar, headlights, and slightly improved brakes. I liked revving it, and the response of the pdk. i plan on a cobb tune at some point possibly, but i just dont need that much power to enjoy the handling. I can let my kids use it with a little less trepidation. I personally feel as though porsche should get lighter and more fuel efficient like the 356 912 911 etc. i enjoyed my 85 3.2 more than my 997, the ladies liked it more too. im just curious, how tall are you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Next one will be electric after the 22. Ice will become obsolete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Everyone has different reasons for buying what they do. For use in mostly stop-and-go traffic, I prefer to drive/own the one that uses less gas, and keeps $10k in my pocket :) We have a 2022 Macan Base on order.

Although it may be true for some, I don't like the idea that people buy anything just for the badge, which is exactly the reason that I am trying very hard to figure out how to remove the P O R S C H E badging from the hatch altogether... Any ideas??

As a side-note: A few years back, I had both a Porsche 996 911 C4S and a BMW Z4M at the same time (both 6spd manual). Decided to sell the 996 since I preferred being behind the wheel of the BMW. I do not regret it one bit, but the number of times that people were shocked because I "should have kept the Porsche" (while never having driven either of them) was amazing to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have read somewhere that base Macan shares same engine with GTI, probably configured slightly different. I have a 2020 GTI and I am extremely happy with the engine but I can see that it may come a bit short on a heavier and taller vehicle. But for daily driving, I wouldn't be surprised to see it working perfect for majority of population. That being said I have an order in place for 21 GTS because I felt same way about the difference between 4 and 6 cylinder engine.
But isn't the GTI (you mean a VW Golf GTI?) a traverse engine and the Base is longitudinal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yah, your right!

But; well maybe not but, I see signs of more value coming in the 2022 S and GTS which maybe will balance out value versus luxery and performance. I really just wanted to say that I would like to see more value and performance in the base model, so that the entire trim line is more robust. So when somebody gets a base loaner, they will say "this a fun car to drive, and I hardly used any gas".
If your a gentleman or lady who does not care about performance yet wants the Porsche emblem, they would be perfectly happy. I do not think Porsche targeted the base to you and me. I also have an S and had a base loaner felt the same as you. Porsche is interested in volume. Just look at the inventory in many of the larger Porsche dealerships. You will find almost 10 to 1, base models compared to S and GTS.
picked up my base today have owned some 911s, i think the base is plenty quick and sporty, especially in sport mode. Usable power band. I dont need to go much faster in a wagon/utility vehicle. Thats just me…

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Macan Base.

In the places I drive . . . mostly very twisty roads in the Hudson Valley, it is an absolutely hoot and the extra 100 or 200hp is nothing I could use to any advantage here . . . the difference is . . . at the end of our 20 minute drive . . . You'd arrive 9 seconds ahead of me. Whoop de doo

I think there are reasons to have lots of power . . better half has it in her Audi and it's a rocket ship . . it's also a car, not an SUV and handles great. Don't for one minute think I saying the Macan doesn't handle well , , it does . . it's what I bought it for . . that, and the headlights, But . . I'm not sure it falls in most folks' definition of "sports car".

>>>>>>Porsche is interested in volume.
Correct. . . . And, if memory serves (it’s the internet . . . Someone will be here in a minute with the figures) the Base model makes up the HUGE majority of Porsche sales.

I spent 17 years test riding sport motorcycles and find the Macan Base a hoot to drive and it, as I have said in the past, is a pretty cheap car . . . . In the age of the $90,000 F-250 Ford Super Duty (we have an F-250 and an F-350 and both were lots more than a well equipped Macan. We do have the S motor in the Audi S5 Cabriolet in Palm Beach and love it.

Just one perspective . . . .

84 year old Neighbor, who has a 911 GTS . . . . itched His sports car itch with this . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Macan Base.

In the places I drive . . . mostly very twisty roads in the Hudson Valley, it is an absolutely hoot and the extra 100 or 200hp is nothing I could use to any advantage here . . . the difference is . . . at the end of our 20 minute drive . . . You'd arrive 9 seconds ahead of me. Whoop de doo

I think there are reasons to have lots of power . . better half has it in her Audi and it's a rocket ship . . it's also a car, not an SUV and handles great. Don't for one minute think I saying the Macan doesn't handle well , , it does . . it's what I bought it for . . that, and the headlights, But . . I'm not sure it falls in most folks' definition of "sports car".

Correct. . . . And, if memory serves (it’s the internet . . . Someone will be here in a minute with the figures) the Base model makes up the HUGE majority of Porsche sales.

I spent 17 years test riding sport motorcycles and find the Macan Base a hoot to drive and it, as I have said in the past, is a pretty cheap car . . . . In the age of the $90,000 F-250 Ford Super Duty (we have an F-250 and an F-350 and both were lots more than a well equipped Macan. We do have the S motor in the Audi S5 Cabriolet in Palm Beach and love it.

Just one perspective . . . .

84 year old Neighbor, who has a 911 GTS . . . . itched His sports car itch with this . . .
What your neighbor could do is replace the letters on the sides with USPS and claim federal immunity when he blasts through the radar traps. He might have to wear a grey outfit.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts