Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not write this post in order to offend any current Macan base model owners, of which there are many. I'm sure most, if not all, are very pleased with their vehicle. The purpose of my post is to give my personal opinion of the driving experience of a 2021 base model vs what I currently drive. This post is intended for folks browsing this site that are considering purchasing a Macan, but have not yet decided on which model. For perspective, I am the current owner of a completely stock 2018 Macan S. I currently have my car at the local Porsche dealer, and was given a 2021 base Macan as a "loaner" for a couple of days. Upon driving out of the dealer parking lot, I was immediately taken aback by the noticeable difference in torque and acceleration.

I've driven the car for a couple of days now, and to me it does not even feel like I'm driving a Macan. The overall look is basically the same, and the overall interior space is basically the same, but the driving experience is completely different. The biggest difference, by far, is the engine. The 4 cylinder in the base model is, in my opinion, just not suited for this vehicle after having the V-6. It feels anemic and buzzy, whereas the V-6 feels very smooth and power is effortless in comparison. I have seen many, many posts on this site about how the base feels super peppy off the line and I just do not experience that at all. It feels underpowered everywhere in comparison to the V-6.

The sound of the base engine is also a turn-off for me. The V-6 has a nice growl to it, and one of the things I look forward to every day is the initial start up in the morning when it comes to life and rumbles. The base engine sounds strained.

I'm not going to get into the other differences between the base and the S models for purposes of this post. The difference begins and ends with the engine for me. The extra $10,500 for an S vs. a Base would be well worth it, if for no other reason than just the V-6. In my opinion, it completely transforms the performance and driving dynamics to the point that driving a Base feels almost like it's a different vehicle. These opinions are my own, and again, are in no way intended to offend any base owners. I'm sure there are base owners who will disagree with my opinions, and others who have driven or owned both who will also disagree. This is fine, as we're all entitled to our opinions. For those trying to decide which model to buy, and are considering a base vs S or GTS or Turbo (pre-2022), I encourage you to drive a V-6 model and draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have read somewhere that base Macan shares same engine with GTI, probably configured slightly different. I have a 2020 GTI and I am extremely happy with the engine but I can see that it may come a bit short on a heavier and taller vehicle. But for daily driving, I wouldn't be surprised to see it working perfect for majority of population. That being said I have an order in place for 21 GTS because I felt same way about the difference between 4 and 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your a gentleman or lady who does not care about performance yet wants the Porsche emblem, they would be perfectly happy. I do not think Porsche targeted the base to you and me. I also have an S and had a base loaner felt the same as you. Porsche is interested in volume. Just look at the inventory in many of the larger Porsche dealerships. You will find almost 10 to 1, base models compared to S and GTS.

·
Premium Member
2018 Macan Sport Edition
170 Posts
Bunny, did you drive the base in Sport mode? Imo, that wakes it up, and it's how it should always be driven. Otherwise it shifts way too soon and the engine never gets into the sporty part of its torque band.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my base Macan however, I do agree with you about performance. I have had my 2019 Base and I love it, getting new turbo wheels installed this week as a matter of fact. For me, this was my first Porsche coming from a 2017 Audi Q5. I notice a huge difference in performance from my old 2017 Q5 to my 2019 Base. The tech is a 1000% better and so is the handling. I had an S loaner from my dealership as well and loved it. For me, I was watching my budget when I bought it since it was my first Porsche. I will continue to have this base until 2023 and then either go to the electric Macan or an S or GTS since now I am hooked on Porsche. You have some valid points and I also think that Porsche may agree with you since the base now gets a better engine via more horse power. With the 2022 S getting the GTS engine that may be something that would motivate me to dump my base. Time will tell though since my dealer here in Las Vegas is telling me that they will be lucky at all to start getting the 2022's around May or June of next year. I am fine with the wait and once again, I love my base.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bunny, did you drive the base in Sport mode? Imo, that wakes it up, and it's how it should always be driven. Otherwise it shifts way too soon and the engine never gets into the sporty part of its torque band.
Yes, I did drive the base in Sport mode. It did, in fact, wake it up. However, the S model is also equally awoken with Sport mode and even more clearly defines the difference between the base model engine and the S engine. in terms of performance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my base Macan however, I do agree with you about performance. I have had my 2019 Base and I love it, getting new turbo wheels installed this week as a matter of fact. For me, this was my first Porsche coming from a 2017 Audi Q5. I notice a huge difference in performance from my old 2017 Q5 to my 2019 Base. The tech is a 1000% better and so is the handling. I had an S loaner from my dealership as well and loved it. For me, I was watching my budget when I bought it since it was my first Porsche. I will continue to have this base until 2023 and then either go to the electric Macan or an S or GTS since now I am hooked on Porsche. You have some valid points and I also think that Porsche may agree with you since the base now gets a better engine via more horse power. With the 2022 S getting the GTS engine that may be something that would motivate me to dump my base. Time will tell though since my dealer here in Las Vegas is telling me that they will be lucky at all to start getting the 2022's around May or June of next year. I am fine with the wait and once again, I love my base.
Cheers!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read somewhere that base Macan shares same engine with GTI, probably configured slightly different. I have a 2020 GTI and I am extremely happy with the engine but I can see that it may come a bit short on a heavier and taller vehicle. But for daily driving, I wouldn't be surprised to see it working perfect for majority of population. That being said I have an order in place for 21 GTS because I felt same way about the difference between 4 and 6 cylinder engine.
I can believe this, based upon my wife’s previous ownership of a VW GTI and having driven it and being a passenger many times. The GTI felt more powerful than the base Macan, but likely because it weighed much less. It also sounded better fwiw.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
I love the base car if it's stripped of most options and a person is looking for a basic SUV . If one is looking for technology or comfort there's everything from a Lexus to a Model Y but the refinement and build quality of a Porsche occurs even at the entry level .

The first generation car did have a nice exhaust note . In fact the GTS has the best sounding exhaust note of all the ones I have driven . However the new GTS and turbo just blow everything else away . PDK is improved , no longer are the vents pointed tab the driver , and its not only faster but has more composure in its overall drive . The brakes are improved too. Its still not fast . I did a write up the other day whee I was pinned too the seat in a Tesla but has more road noise than Boxster and no handling dynamics found in Porsche . My point is that "go fast" is not enough .
As for "go slow " -- need more money to get more .

The S has been my least favorite car in the lineup . It's not cheap . In fact @Bunny thats "10.500" dollar number. is very close to what the delta was back in 2015 and 16 to upgrade to the Turbo Back then it was only S and Turbo and despite my own bias on the S more people did in fact buy it . In 2017 the GTS solved everything.

My 2020 Macan Turbo MSRP was 100K . The fact that I was given a 55K base loaner for a few weeks when they were repairing an aftermarket part in my modded 911 gave me some seat time in the base . At the price to use as a vehicle to tool around town it was perfect .

I dont miss my older Macans and I probably won't miss this one either but that's just me . I just cant feel about any SUV the way I do about a 911 because it never gets old . But the Macan in any trim does get the job done and does it well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We have a 2018 base model as a shopping trolley and it is a fantastic car, sure it doesn’t have the extra power but it is still a very rewarding car to drive. I did consider a few other brands for the job but they were underwhelming by comparison. They are much lighter and more nimble over the front axle than the 6 variant as well
I am dropping my 982 off for a service tomorrow and have arranged a GTS Macan as a loaner, thinking seriously of ordering one.
You guys have stirred the pot and got me back on the configurator again

I am not disagreeing with what others have said but the base definitely has its place in the lineup

·
Registered
306 Posts
while you can say you don't mean to offend saying "buy a base just for the badge" is pretty insulting.

The base may be slowER but compared to what?? get the fastest macan and its a SLOW compared to other cars out there. its def faster than my previous BMW 3 series. And is by no means slow in the grand scheme of things for a heavy SUV.

Are there faster trims? of course. but ultimately ITS THE EXACT same car as those with bigger engines inside and out.

To say its purchased JUST for the badge is ridiculous. I test drove literally every other brand luxury SUV and the fit and finish (not to mention looks) of the Porsche were unmatched. its an elitest way of thinking. Same thing for people that look down on Porsche Boxster owners claiming its not a real porsche. get over yourself

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We have a 2018 base model as a shopping trolley and it is a fantastic car, sure it doesn’t have the extra power but it is still a very rewarding car to drive. I did consider a few other brands for the job but they were underwhelming by comparison. They are much lighter and more nimble over the front axle than the 6 variant as well
I am dropping my 982 off for a service tomorrow and have arranged a GTS Macan as a loaner, thinking seriously of ordering one.
You guys have stirred the pot and got me back on the configurator again

I am not disagreeing with what others have said but the base definitely has its place in the lineup
Since you cannot order the Gen2 2 GTS I think your loaner will not drive the same as the Gen 3. Better to get a Turbo as a loaner to compare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
while you can say you don't mean to offend saying "buy a base just for the badge" is pretty insulting.

The base may be slowER but compared to what?? get the fastest macan and its a SLOW compared to other cars out there. its def faster than my previous BMW 3 series. And is by no means slow in the grand scheme of things for a heavy SUV.

Are there faster trims? of course. but ultimately ITS THE EXACT same car as those with bigger engines inside and out.

To say its purchased JUST for the badge is ridiculous. I test drove literally every other brand luxury SUV and the fit and finish (not to mention looks) of the Porsche were unmatched. its an elitest way of thinking. Same thing for people that look down on Porsche Boxster owners claiming its not a real porsche. get over yourself
Your “get over yourself” comment - did you mean to direct this towards me? You replied to me, the OP, and I never mentioned a badge or a Boxster.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Since you cannot order the Gen2 2 GTS I think your loaner will not drive the same as the Gen 3. Better to get a Turbo as a loaner to compare.
The dealer have told me the current GTS drives very similar to the 2022 model, the extra power delivery it up top end and not that noticeably different for a comparison??
I just got home after driving the GTS for a couple of hours and my initial impression wasn’t breathtaking as I was stepping out of my 718 GTS so it is a bit doughy by comparison.
The GTS feels a lot heavier than the base and poking around town I am just as happy with the lighter snappier feel of the base model.
Driving on the open road the extra power being available is nice and it is doing the job a bit easier. I was hoping/ expecting the GTS to feel a bit more aggressive than it does.
Will drive it some more and see how I feel about it. My son wants me to look at the Cayenne again, that was his favourite car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I drove my wife's BFF macan S and for regular driving the difference was minimal (even less now that i have a cobb tune on my base) but the exhaust rumble was a HUGE difference. but honestly a sound isnt worth $10k to me. btw my base still rumbles, you an easily hear it coming up the street and while at idle

1 - 20 of 36 Posts