Porsche Macan Forum banner

How would you handle a manually adjusted steering column?

• Yes, I would cancel the order

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel with no issues. Can live with manual steering column adjustments.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No, I wouldn't cancel, but don't like that the feature is missing

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Maybe. Depends on other factors.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.6%
1881 - 1900 of 1952 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I didn’t get a screen shot. The agent working on the case was busy when I called but another agent checked it for me. I assume they mean entry to body shop. On Friday, they told me production date was May 1 and it’s now updated to June 8. So I expect it will slip further. I was just frustrated when my SA wouldn’t tell me anything. I would rather know and that it will most likely get pushed out than not knowing at all.
Gosh, I'd be furious at this point with your SA. I read your other posts, your SA either sounds incompetent or is trying to hide something from you (like you suggested that he never even placed the order). Have you reached out to the sales manager or even general manager at your dealership? I'd definitely do that if you haven't already, and express that you aren't getting clear information and updates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gosh, I'd be furious at this point with your SA. I read your other posts, your SA either sounds incompetent or is trying to hide something from you (like you suggested that he never even placed the order). Have you reached out to the sales manager or even general manager at your dealership? I'd definitely do that if you haven't already, and express that you aren't getting clear information and updates.
I kept thinking if I should. But the guy just doesn’t seem that smart to pull something off like this (no offense, he just comes across like a simple guy). So I’m wondering if the sales manager is in on it because my SA said he has been working with the sales manager on this and all he has is what the sales manager’s rep told him.

·
Premium Member
2022 Macan S on order
63 Posts
I just talked to customer service again. So my build was updated today...Still at v200 but i have a production and delivery date.
Production date is May 13th and delivery date is July 15th.

Does this sound realistic to you guys?
My S was finally locked in about a month after I was told, and now the body shop date is the same as yours, 5/13, but the delivery date is 7/1. I have a feeling that it will probably be closer to 7/15.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dates are very similar to you. My current estimated delivery date is also July 15th now, but my V260 "Entry to Body Shop" date is May 20th and V300 Vehicle Completion Date is June 3rd (not sure which one you're referring to when you say production date).

But I'm on my 4th different date now (delivery date went from 5/20 -> 6/10 -> 7/1 -> 7/15). So I'll believe these when I see the actual milestones occur.
here is the screenshot he sent me. my v260 is June 3rd. PCNA over the phone said production date May 13th. i guess she was referring to lock date.

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Multimedia

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Apparently there is no end to the opinions on what to do with this steering column issue. I grant that "bottom line" it isn't that big a deal, But I also believe that Porsche has mishandled it...after all, people ordered and paid for it, and are just being blown off. At the very least, the compensation should be a straightforward check not restricted to buying a Porsche product.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am not sure where some of you placed your orders, but my SA had an allocation, we submitted our build on Jan 7th, 2022, went into Lock on Feb 11th, 2022, was built and shipped and in port and in their inventory as of 04/29/2022 ??

I could have picked it up wayyyyy sooner, the delay is the PC Atlanta delivery, the dates that worked for us for a Friday Morning was June 24th soonest available date, otherwise I would have had it in about 2 weeks or so.

The only missing component is the electronic steering column which is not making us any happier being mislead and kept in the dark up until we scheduled our delivery we were never told about the lack of that component ??

Just a shady way to treat a customer from a supposedly high end, boutique brand !!!!

Definitely tarnished my brand loyalty, and I will not even entertain another Porsche until they resolve all their delays, missing parts, missing chips, etc..............just isn't worth the premium price to get a lousy $500 voucher for a retrofit that may cost $3k-$4k with parts and labor.

Would be nice if they are screwing you over to at least make an effort to appear to screw you over less than you are actually being screwed over.

My last new one and I won't even consider a COVID YEARS model either, anything March 2020 until this mess is over is not even under consideration, IMHO

Good Luck to everyone ordering, between the price increases, lack of options or missing components I wish I never traded my 2017 in on this 2022 !!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good Luck to everyone ordering, between the price increases, lack of options or missing components I wish I never traded my 2017 in on this 2022 !!!
Mate, I am really sorry to hear about your purchase experience and the personal hardship that your lack of electric steering column will cause. I am totally with you that Porsche AG has handled it very poorly and, from my perspective, their reputation has taken a hit. I know it impacts you more than most.

That said, you're about to take possession of a gorgeously capable car that 99.5% of the world's population can only dream of owning. It's going to be an amazing vehicle in every other respect.

That's what I tell myself whenever I think of the semiconductor impacts on my build. Life is pretty good (y)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My last new one and I won't even consider a COVID YEARS model either, anything March 2020 until this mess is over is not even under consideration, IMHO
You will not be alone on the sidelines waiting . . . . the current production output would scare me to own. . . . I just picked up a new car yesterday . . . boring, but reliable, and ditched the Macan at 54,000 miles . . . I saw what was happening at about the 50,000 mark and can't imagine the exposure on some of the "built a little bit at a time" generation. . . . I'm betting by 2024 . . they'll start sorting things out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
My 21 model came with manual steering adjustment, still waiting for the re fit to the power adjusted one that I paid for.
I would not hold my breath, IMHO nobody is ever getting any retrofit, I hate to say it but I do not think that Porsche wants to incur the costs associated with making these vehicles correct and add back in the options they removed !!

I am really hoping a group of lawyers get a CLASS ACTION SUIT against Porsche and force them to either do what is correct and retrofit at their cost or compensate everyone the actual cost to retroft with parts and labor which in my estimation is going to cost $2k or more in just parts, plus however much labor at $220/hour, so figure $3500-$4000 for a electronic column retrofit.

Now you see why Porsche told everyone to get bent, sorry about your luck, take you little $500 voucher and purchase overpriced P-Gear from the dealer ???

Really ???

What a joke !!! and a PR Mess for a supposed flagship brand and boutique brand that has no problem charging enormous sums for black door handles, programming changes like SC, or a different color stitching in seats ???

I am done, unless they make this right for everyone I am not buying another P-Car ever,my 2022 Macan GTS is it, and I may not keep it due to the lack of that electronic column anyways !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Manual steering column isn't the only thing that Porsche is failing with, I've been waiting for the Bose amplifier (4 weeks and counting) and NO ONE (dealership, parts manager, Porsche corporate) can even give me an estimate on when to expect the part's arrival. There are people that have cars delivered after mine who has gotten the amplifier so the system isn't even based on a simple queue system?!!

There are way more better ways to do this than what Porsche is doing:
  • Have people sign a waiver acknowledging the car is missing sound and get to at least store it in my own garage (versus having my custom ordered car be a free press car for the dealership)
  • Have a better system to give people an update on when to expect the part to come in (the amplifier issue started in September 2021!!! any company that cares about customer service would have created a better tracking system by now)
  • The absolute MINIMUM, imho, is that on a case by case basis be able to find out for a customer when their part would be expected to arrive (most people able to afford Porsche probably don't care if their car is delayed by another 2 months but some do). There HAS to some internal tracking otherwise I don't understand how Porsche can function as a company, from what the parts manager make it sound like, the factory just make some random amounts of the part and ship out to random dealers lol

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
I am really hoping a group of lawyers get a CLASS ACTION SUIT against Porsche and force them to either do what is correct and retrofit at their cost or compensate everyone the actual cost to retroft with parts and labor which in my estimation is going to cost $2k or more in just parts, plus however much labor at $220/hour, so figure $3500-$4000 for a electronic column retrofit.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Your contract is not between Porsche and you, the customer. The purchase order was between you and your dealer, governed, I presume, by the contract law in your state. There is bound to be some clause in your PO to the effect of: Conditions Beyond Dealer's Control ... not liable for failure to deliver .... in whole or in part due to circumstances beyond the control of the dealer or not do to negligence of the dealer.

IOW, Stuff happens. Whether it be supply chain issues or the the harnesses from Ukraine, while inventory is JIT, the strategic planning for them is surely done years ahead of time. Its not like they planned, "lets screw over some customers". I understand and empathize with your situation. You haven't actually paid, right? So I doubt you're going to win this one. If you have paid, and didn't receive what you paid for, thats different and then its probably a small claims court thing?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath. Your contract is not between Porsche and you, the customer. The purchase order was between you and your dealer, governed, I presume, by the contract law in your state. There is bound to be some clause in your PO to the effect of: Conditions Beyond Dealer's Control ... not liable for failure to deliver .... in whole or in part due to circumstances beyond the control of the dealer or not do to negligence of the dealer.

IOW, Stuff happens. Whether it be supply chain issues or the the harnesses from Ukraine, while inventory is JIT, the strategic planning for them is surely done years ahead of time. Its not like they planned, "lets screw over some customers". I understand and empathize with your situation. You haven't actually paid, right? So I doubt you're going to win this one. If you have paid, and didn't receive what you paid for, thats different and then its probably a small claims court thing?
My issue is the lack of honesty at the time of order, if I was aware and if I was informed that even at the time of my order my vehicle was never getting that option then I would have been able to make a better informed decision, but I was never told, never informed, not up until my scheduled PEC Delivery Date they had not included a must have feature/option.

Had I not pre-traded I would have told them to POUND SAND, either retrofit at your cost or keep it.

But now with no Macan, and this my replacement, I have to live with no electronic steering column and no fair compensation for that missing component/feature !

Yeah for some people it's no big deal, they could care less, but with two drivers and a disability my expectations and my order was because I needed that feature............the dealer is not going to step up and reduce their selling price or anything, they will simply sell it and return my deposit.

Ordering a 2023 is not an option, price increased, options are missing, lack of any time frame for get a solid answer from them.............so it is what it is.

Am I unhappy, YUP..............could this have been handled better.............YUP................do I hope they get their A$%% sued off them to teach them a lesson.....................YUP

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
My issue is the lack of honesty at the time of order
You presume they lacked good faith and had no intention of delivering? Big if true. But I have a hard time believing this company intentionally wants to screw over its customers. No customers, no business. I guess we all live and learn.

I hope you get your parts and they install them free.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You presume they lacked good faith and had no intention of delivering? Big if true. But I have a hard time believing this company intentionally wants to screw over its customers. No customers, no business. I guess we all live and learn.

I hope you get your parts and they install them free.
They knew full well as they were accepting orders and that the builds would be missing components ?

They were fully aware that was to be the outcome, for sure they knew this !!

The courteous and correct thing that should have transpired is they notify customers immediately of the issue, and offer the paying customer an option to either continue or not with the build, or at least offer a more fair compensation for the missing parts comparable to the retrofit costs ???

Delaying notifying the SA, the customer, etc is a poor decision and that only harbors suspicion by the consumer/buyer, gives the appearance of ill will, and a feeling by me that they chose to willfully hold back that information, hoping most customers would still accept a pathetic offer of reimbursement for their lack of timely communication and honesty with the supply issues they faced.

Was it too much to be told months and months ago that my build was incomplete ?? Did they not expect a negative reaction and anger at the amount of money these cost to be treated poorly ?

Did they not think that some of these missing options may be a deal breaker ?? Yeah, I am sure that the deal breaker came into play, as many might have refused to accept a build without all their options, as it may impact people quite differently than others !!!

But I will have to live with it until either an accommodation is made, or the parts are once again available, and its not so excessive cost wise to retrofit that I just have to live with what I have !

Either way its left a rotten taste in my mouth and tarnished my view permanently, unless they make this correct for all who ordered and did not get their build as they expected then I think they are no better than a subpar brand.

I am truly done with this brand until they sort their mess out.

My bucket list just scratched off a few models due to this debacle, I have purchased three new ordered vehicles in six years just Porsche Models, I was planning on a lot more, but that is on hold.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Since reading here I play with my "electric" steering wheel adjustment daily in my garage.... drinking a coffee 😁
you play with anything else ?

might be a pattern??

1881 - 1900 of 1952 Posts