Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the configurator is live for both the X3 and X4M. X3M starts at 69,900 and the X4M at 73,400. Loaded they top out at around 80k for the non "Competition" versions. They come with 473 HP and claim a 4.1 second 0-60 time. I'm not clear on how well they handle versus the Macan, but the HP definitely seems to be beyond Macan Turbo range, while costing way less. They also both have some features that the Macan doesn't get to have.. like a HUD and full digital instrument panel.

I'm curious about what they may have done to tighten up the ride and improve handling. I've driven the X3M40i and while the engine was great I found the ride a bit floaty. Is there anyone smarter than me (I'm sure there is) that can speak to the ways in which the Macan may have an advantage? I've ordered a 2019 Macan... and want to feel better about it now. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what my sales rep told me about comparing BMW/MB to Porsche: "We are not a leasing company. BMW and Mercedes floods the market with cars in order to get attractive lease rates... ", hopefully that makes you feel better? :)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I'll definitely be comparing the new Macan GTS when it comes out in a few years to the BMW X4M. Before I ordered my 2018 GTS, I test drove an X3 M40i, and I felt the Macan GTS handled better.

I didn't see a trailer hitch option on BMW's build site for the X4M...too bad, because I'm NOT putting our bikes on the roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see a trailer hitch option on BMW's build site for the X4M...too bad, because I'm NOT putting our bikes on the roof.
That's an interesting call out... there doesn't appear to be an option for a hitch on the X3M either... odd

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really want a Macan gts to replace my 2014 BMW X1, but now after looking at a couple and reading about the x3 M I need to wait, the bmw really seems like a lot more for the money

·
Registered
608 Posts
IMHO, raw power is important, but not everything.

Porsche has better fit/finish, better premium seats, and better reliability as per JD Powers and Consumer Reports. The Macan turns heads far better than the X3, but this is a negative aspect for some people. De-badging helps.

The X3 is perhaps the better grocery hauler, but its overall drivability is lower when roughly corresponding trims are compared.

The X3 has more gadgets at a meaningfully lower price.

In my recent search (I'm ordering today) the Macan S at an optioned and discounted $69k easily edged out the X3 M40i at roughly $61k, same basis. For more price sensitive buyers, BMW could well be the better choice.

I don't think the X3M (the real M) or the souped up X3M Competition, when it's all said and done, will offer a "sweet spot" of overall value vs a vis the 2020 Macan Turbo. They will still be BMW's and Porsches will still (hopefully*) be Porsches. If the former prove a threat to the latter, Porsche can quickly introduce a Macan Turbo PP or even a long anticipated Turbo S - the distinction being for the Turbo S to have more Performance options currently only found in the higher end Porsche models.

Remember, I premised all of the above with the protective cloak, "IMHO".

* or at least Porsche/Audi hybrids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Second that!

I'll definitely be comparing the new Macan GTS when it comes out in a few years to the BMW X4M. Before I ordered my 2018 GTS, I test drove an X3 M40i, and I felt the Macan GTS handled better.

I actually seriously looked at the X3M (visited dealer and built it and everything) and that missing trailer hitch was a BIG deal! We have bikes and kayaks, and I'll be forked if I put any of that on the roof. We do have a rooftop box, but what can I do? LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I actually seriously looked at the X3M (visited dealer and built it and everything) and that missing trailer hitch was a BIG deal! We have bikes and kayaks, and I'll be forked if I put any of that on the roof. We do have a rooftop box, but what can I do? LOL!
Stealth hitch. Costs $500 and can install yourself or have a shop do it. What I’m doing to my Turbo PP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
vandit
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing