Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Masscan, thanks so much for your detailed impressions and comparisons to your 2018 GTS. Very insightful and helpful! Would greatly appreciate any additional comments you might have as to the performance differences (and engine sounds) on the 2020 (upon full break-in) vs. the 2018.
Thanks so much again!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Masscan, thanks so much for your detailed impressions and comparisons to your 2018 GTS. Very insightful and helpful! Would greatly appreciate any additional comments you might have as to the performance differences (and engine sounds) on the 2020 (upon full break-in) vs. the 2018.
Thanks so much again!
Will do!

This morning I noticed the tire pressure was jacked up. Door sticker states 36 psi front....39 psi rear, but the tire pressure was 45 psi on all four corners!

:oops:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
This morning I noticed the tire pressure was jacked up. Door sticker states 36 psi front....39 psi rear, but the tire pressure was 45 psi on all four corners!

:oops:
It wouldn't surprise me if most cars are shipped that way, i.e., tires set to the max tire spec, rather than to the recommended door-jamb/owner's-manual spec. And then no one at the dealership lowered them. Either that, or some dimwit there only looked at the sidewall info, instead of properly looking for the car's actual specs.

I experienced that years back, when getting a riding mower, of all things. The owner's manual for that noted the max-air shipping situation, and said to lower them to some value after getting the mower home.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
IDK if its just me or did the offroad button and psm button change positions for 2020 model? I recently traded my 2017 macan gts to 2020 macan gts and noticed this...
Yes some of the center console buttons have moved around since 2018....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Great looking ride and thanks for the comparison review. Does it keep the revs up for the first 30 seconds after startup like the 2018 you had before ? Did you get the ioniser for the extra button ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, looks fantastic. And Volcano grey like my 2018 S. So happy for you. I've actually been thinking of moving up to the Cayenne. Your post has me rethinking that LOL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great updates! What actually changed between the 2018 and 2020 GTS brake wise? Is it only the carbon fiber pedal assembly or did the actual rotors/pads get upgraded as well?

I wonder if that CF brake pedal can be retrofitted to the .1 Macans...

Reactions: Masscan

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Great updates! What actually changed between the 2018 and 2020 GTS brake wise? Is it only the carbon fiber pedal assembly or did the actual rotors/pads get upgraded as well?

I wonder if that CF brake pedal can be retrofitted to the .1 Macans...
According to Porsche....

"All new models in the Macan range now have improved brake pedal feel. What is known as an organic sheet pedal is made of molded, fiberglass-reinforced thermoplastic sheet material with a back-injected plastic rib structure. It weighs around 300 g less than the previous steel part and acts on the brake master cylinder via a shortened lever arm. This results in more immediate brake response, and the driver can also feel a very precise pressure point because of the firm connection. Keen drivers in particular will value this optimized feedback."

As far as I know, the rotors/pads are the same. No idea if the modified brake pedal assembly can be retrofitted to the Gen. 1....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm really liking the Porsche crest on the arm rest....feels like real leather too!

Reactions: Jellybean

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great looking ride and thanks for the comparison review. Does it keep the revs up for the first 30 seconds after startup like the 2018 you had before ? Did you get the ioniser for the extra button ?
Yes, at start up, the new 2.9L engine sticks at 1200 rpm for approximately 30 seconds, then settles down to a very slight lumpy idle. Not terrible mind you, but the idle is not as smooth as the older 3.0L engine.

The main reason I got the ionizer was my wife has allergies....but I have to say I like clean smell, and the symmetry now of 4 lower buttons on each side of the center console.

Bonus!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You deserve this vehicle. I've never been able to figure out why folks who live in FLAT states with 90/90 degree roads and frequent stoplights need to corner at .*G. Freeway ramps? Take it out on your fave roads, without sheriffs, in VT, MA, and NH!. Have fun! Then get legal and join the herd on the freeway...sigh...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The Volcano Grey color was aptly named. I was around when Mt St. Helens blew. By the time this mess got to Soap Lake Washington it turned to chalk. So what Porsche is doing colorwise is following an eruption that occured in 1980. Maybe that is creative, but I am concerned about their next color in case I should have to run.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes, at start up, the new 2.9L engine sticks at 1200 rpm for approximately 30 seconds, then settles down to a very slight lumpy idle. Not terrible mind you, but the idle is not as smooth as the older 3.0L engine.

The main reason I got the ionizer was my wife has allergies....but I have to say I like clean smell, and the symmetry now of 4 lower buttons on each side of the center console.

Bonus!
I think you will forget about the idle wobble once COBB releases a program for this unit to take it up to the Turbo output.

Bonus!
Seems there is an ECU tune out there !

525HP and 630 lb-ft

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I think the ionizer is the cheapest button you can add to the collection. I would love that one. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks fantastic! I would imagine this is what my 17 Turbo would look like as a Gen 2. Is the finish on the wheels more glossy and smooth than the matte black on the 1st gen? One of the things I hate about my black spyders is how much dirt and brake dust gets "trapped" in the matte finish. Am actually considering looking for a silver set of spyders for the winter or seeing if ceramic coating them will help.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks fantastic! I would imagine this is what my 17 Turbo would look like as a Gen 2. Is the finish on the wheels more glossy and smooth than the matte black on the 1st gen? One of the things I hate about my black spyders is how much dirt and brake dust gets "trapped" in the matte finish. Am actually considering looking for a silver set of spyders for the winter or seeing if ceramic coating them will help.
The matte black Spyders look like that when new, then slowly over time they lose their luster from all the brake dust, rust from the rotors, and the constant cleaning of the wheels. Ceramic coating would help seal them, but if you apply ceramic to the barrels, I've heard people having issues with tire weights coming off.

I have a set of OEM 20" machined Spyders with A/S tires I plan to use during the Winter to help protect my black Spyders from the elements. I don't have a choice really as my black Spyders have Summer rubber on them.

Reactions: benster

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up my new 2020 GTS yesterday, and overall I find the vehicle is a vast improvement over the MY2018 GTS. Can't wait until the engine is broken-in so I can let the badger out of the bag!

Here is a list of what I feel has been improved on the MY2020:

1) Very little turbo lag from a dead stop in Comfort mode. Overall, responsiveness is better
2) Brake pedal feel is MUCH better, no slop/play whatsoever, and it feels more solid/linear as well. Brake pedal feel and turbo lag were my biggest pet peeves with the MY2018. I can't begin to tell you how much better the brakes feel!
3) Steering feels more weighted, Porsche enthusiasts will be pleased, and I don't think it's just from the smaller diameter GT steering wheel, which BTW I LOVE....but it does feel a bit thinner in my hands than the regular Macan steering wheel
4) Vehicle feels more smooth over the bumps, yet more solid at the same time. Also tracks better at highway speeds. I'm currently riding on Summer tires, which may have something to to with the improved handling
5) LOVE the larger center screen. Light years ahead in function than the older/smaller screen in the MY2018, and the 3D NAV looks really cool!
6) LOVE the ionizer, makes the cabin smell so clean!
7) The rear light bar in back is starting to grow on me, looks really cool at night

The things I don't like about the 2020 GTS so far:

1) Exhaust sound. More raspy and not as deep sounding as the 2018 PSE. Rather disappointing actually
2) The engine doesn't feel as smooth at idle. Maybe because it only had 24 miles on it when I picked it up. Hoping it smooths out after break-in, or when I fill it up next time.
3) Because of the new design of the MY2020 GTS front bumper, there's absolutely no way I can use my CravenSpeed Platypus license plate bracket mounted in the tow hook mount. No matter what orientation I have it in, I keep getting an front right alarm because it's too close to the sensor. I may have to settle for the OEM license plate bracket mounted dead center

Now for the things I feel Porsche was cheap on:

1) Goodyear Tires instead of Michelin. The Goodyear tires though say "Made in Germany".
2) No rubber plug for the trailer hitch....so the salesman just transferred the old rubber plug over from my 2018 (Porsche REALLY wants you to purchase their fancy one I take it). He did the same with the tire stem caps as well, the 2018 had metal black ones....the 2020, plastic.
3) Gas cap is real cheap looking now, may actually spring for the faux aluminum one
4) Same useless one-piece front strut bar as my 2018 had. The MY2017 and earlier came with the better 3 piece strut bar assembly which I later purchased for my 2018....felt it made a slight improvement in steering response too, but unfortunately I can't carry it over to the MY2020 since there's stuff in the way on the driver's side. I'll be selling the OEM three bar front strut assembly soon

Now the pictures:

View attachment 233324 View attachment 233325 View attachment 233326 View attachment 233327 View attachment 233328
Following in Masscan's footsteps, I took delivery of my low spec ($76k) MY20 GTS yesterday with 24 miles on the clock. Only drove another 20 miles since then, as such, my comments are limited at present. This is my 3rd Macan (2015 Macan S and 2018 Base) and my 9th P-Car overall (Boxster Base, Cayenne Base, Panamera Base, 3 - 911's Base). Unlike Masscan, my comments are based on my previous non-GTS Macans.

1) Very little turbo lag from a dead stop in Comfort mode. Overall, responsiveness is better. AGREED.
2) Brake pedal feel is MUCH better, no slop/play whatsoever, and it feels more solid/linear as well. Brake pedal feel and turbo lag were my biggest pet peeves with the MY2018. I can't begin to tell you how much better the brakes feel! AGREED.
3) Steering feels more weighted, Porsche enthusiasts will be pleased, and I don't think it's just from the smaller diameter GT steering wheel, which BTW I LOVE....but it does feel a bit thinner in my hands than the regular Macan steering wheel. I HAVE THE STANDARD STEERING WHEEL.
4) Vehicle feels more smooth over the bumps, yet more solid at the same time. AGREED. Also tracks better at highway speeds. I'm currently riding on Summer tires, which may have something to to with the improved handling. MY S HAD 21" SUMMER TIRES, MY BASE HAD 20" A/S TIRES AND MY GTS HAS 20" A/S TIRES. AGREE THAT THE SUMMERS WILL TRACK BETTER, HOWEVER, AFTER GOING THROUGH 2 1/2 SETS OF TIRES ON MY S - I PREFER TO SACRIFICE PERFORMANCE AND WILL MAKE DUE WITH THE A/S'.
5) LOVE the larger center screen. Light years ahead in function than the older/smaller screen in the MY2018, and the 3D NAV looks really cool! AGREED.
6) LOVE the ionizer, makes the cabin smell so clean! THOUGHT ABOUT CHECKING THIS BOX, BUT ONE OF NICK MURRAY'S VIDEOS TALKED ME OUT OF IT - LOL.
7) The rear light bar in back is starting to grow on me, looks really cool at night. I HAVE LIKED THE REAR LIGHT BAR SINCE ITS INTRODUCTION.

1) Goodyear Tires instead of Michelin. The Goodyear tires though say "Made in Germany". I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WITH MY A/S SCORPIONS. THE MICHELIN'S ON MY S WERE GREAT, BUT THEY NEEDED TO BE REPLACED RATHER QUICKLY.
2) No rubber plug for the trailer hitch....so the salesman just transferred the old rubber plug over from my 2018. N/A (Porsche REALLY wants you to purchase their fancy one I take it). He did the same with the tire stem caps as well, the 2018 had metal black ones....the 2020, plastic.
3) Gas cap is real cheap looking now, may actually spring for the faux aluminum one. AGREED, HOWEVER, I DO NOT THINK THAT THE FAUX ALUMINUM CAP ADDS TO THE CAR AND, AS SUCH, WOULD AVOID SAME.
4) Same useless one-piece front strut bar as my 2018 had. The MY2017 and earlier came with the better 3 piece strut bar assembly which I later purchased for my 2018....felt it made a slight improvement in steering response too, but unfortunately I can't carry it over to the MY2020 since there's stuff in the way on the driver's side. I'll be selling the OEM three bar front strut assembly soon. BEYOND MY PAY GRADE

5) THE ADHESIVE STRIP USED TO ADHERE THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR TRIM IS LOOSE. I CONSIDER THIS AN ANOMALY AS I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SIMILAR ISSUES WITH ANY OF MY P-CARS. DO NOT FRET - A REPLACEMENT IS ON ITS WAY!

HERE'S MY TAKE:

HANDS DOWN - THE MOST ATTRACTIVE MACAN I HAVE LEASED.

THIS IS MY 1st P-CAR w/PSE. FRANKLY, I AM NOT SURE THAT IT'S A BOX I WOULD HAVE CHECKED - IF OPTIONAL. IT'S NOT TERRIBLY LOUD AND THE ONLY TIME I LIKE THE ROAR OF THE ENGINE IS AT START-UP (SAME WAY I FELT ABOUT MY NON-PSE S). I TRULY HOPE THIS GADGET GROWS ON ME.

THIS IS ALSO MY 1st P-CAR WITH AS. I WAS ALWAYS CURIOUS ABOUT THIS OPTION, BUT ALWAYS OPTED AGAINST IT BECAUSE OF THE COST. THE CAR IS DEFINITELY SMOOTHER THAN MY PREVIOUS MACANS AND I SUSPECT THAT IT WILL GREATLY ENHANCE ITS PERFORMANCE. ADDITIONALLY, THE LOWERED STANCE REALLY IMPROVES THE OVERALL LOOK OF THE CAR. NO COMPLAINTS HERE.

I AM EXCITED TO SEE WHAT THIS CAR HAS TO OFFER. I REALLY MISS MY SPIRITED S AND I THINK THIS CAR WILL EXCEED MY EXPECTATIONS. IT WILL CERTAINLY PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE, SOMETHING MY BASE MACAN (WHILE A FINE CAR) NEVER DID.

BELOW ARE THE ONLY PICS I HAVE TAKEN THUS FAR (WEATHER HAS BEEN HORRENDOUS):
GTS.jpg

TRIM ISSUE:

Door Trim.jpg

·
Registered
565 Posts
I haven't been around in a while. You and I ordered our 2018s around the same time. Why the switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked up my new 2020 GTS yesterday, and overall I find the vehicle is a vast improvement over the MY2018 GTS. Can't wait until the engine is broken-in so I can let the badger out of the bag!

Here is a list of what I feel has been improved on the MY2020:

1) Very little turbo lag from a dead stop in Comfort mode. Overall, responsiveness is better
2) Brake pedal feel is MUCH better, no slop/play whatsoever, and it feels more solid/linear as well. Brake pedal feel and turbo lag were my biggest pet peeves with the MY2018. I can't begin to tell you how much better the brakes feel!
3) Steering feels more weighted, Porsche enthusiasts will be pleased, and I don't think it's just from the smaller diameter GT steering wheel, which BTW I LOVE....but it does feel a bit thinner in my hands than the regular Macan steering wheel
4) Vehicle feels more smooth over the bumps, yet more solid at the same time. Also tracks better at highway speeds. I'm currently riding on Summer tires, which may have something to to with the improved handling
5) LOVE the larger center screen. Light years ahead in function than the older/smaller screen in the MY2018, and the 3D NAV looks really cool!
6) LOVE the ionizer, makes the cabin smell so clean!
7) The rear light bar in back is starting to grow on me, looks really cool at night

The things I don't like about the 2020 GTS so far:

1) Exhaust sound. More raspy and not as deep sounding as the 2018 PSE. Rather disappointing actually
2) The engine doesn't feel as smooth at idle. Maybe because it only had 24 miles on it when I picked it up. Hoping it smooths out after break-in, or when I fill it up next time.
3) Because of the new design of the MY2020 GTS front bumper, there's absolutely no way I can use my CravenSpeed Platypus license plate bracket mounted in the tow hook mount. No matter what orientation I have it in, I keep getting an front right alarm because it's too close to the sensor. I may have to settle for the OEM license plate bracket mounted dead center

1) Goodyear Tires instead of Michelin. The Goodyear tires though say "Made in Germany".
2) No rubber plug for the trailer hitch....so the salesman just transferred the old rubber plug over from my 2018 (Porsche REALLY wants you to purchase their fancy one I take it). He did the same with the tire stem caps as well, the 2018 had metal black ones....the 2020, plastic.
3) Gas cap is real cheap looking now, may actually spring for the faux aluminum one
4) Same useless one-piece front strut bar as my 2018 had. The MY2017 and earlier came with the better 3 piece strut bar assembly which I later purchased for my 2018....felt it made a slight improvement in steering response too, but unfortunately I can't carry it over to the MY2020 since there's stuff in the way on the driver's side. I'll be selling the OEM three bar front strut assembly soon

Now the pictures:

View attachment 233324 View attachment 233325 View attachment 233326 View attachment 233327 View attachment 233328
Grats! She's a looker. Curious if the '18 could have had some of the '20 performance improvements with a Cobb Tune.

·
Premium Member
2020 Macan GTS
25 Posts
2) The engine doesn't feel as smooth at idle.
I have noticed the same thing ( I have no comparison with other Macans, just noticed certain roughness). I picked up my 2020 GTS the day before you picked up yours. :)

Reactions: Masscan
21 - 40 of 42 Posts