1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
ME Want the new GTS :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'll stick with a 2018 red on black turbo for now... Big engine (3.6L) not to be offered again. Unlimited tuning potential. Great resale value. Very distinct front bumper; cannot be mistaken for any other Macan. 400HP/400TQ stock AWD. Throttle drop!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'll stick with a 2018 red on black turbo for now... Big engine (3.6L) not to be offered again. Unlimited tuning potential. Great resale value. Very distinct front bumper; cannot be mistaken for any other Macan. 400HP/400TQ stock AWD. Throttle drop!
Yes - I'll stick with my '18 Turbo PP

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Is it me or does that Audi 2.9tt not sound as mean as the outgoing 3.6 Porsche tt ?? Bragging rights are definitely hurt when one finds and Audi engine in a Porsche turbo. Sharing the platform and the transmission is one thing but it’s a straight Audi now!!
Have a look at the current Cayenne: Base and hybrid: 3.0L Audi turbo engine. S: 2.9L Audi twin-Turbo engine. Turbo and Turbo S hybrid: 4.0L Audi-Porsche twin-turbo engine.

I’m afraid that the only engines Porsche will keep manufacturing by itself are the flat engines, and I agree with you that having an Audi engine fitted on an Audi-VW platform has a damaging effect on bragging rights.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have a look at the current Cayenne: Base and hybrid: 3.0L Audi turbo engine. S: 2.9L Audi twin-Turbo engine. Turbo and Turbo S hybrid: 4.0L Audi-Porsche twin-turbo engine.

I’m afraid that the only engines Porsche will keep manufacturing by itself are the flat engines, and I agree with you that having an Audi engine fitted on an Audi-VW platform has a damaging effect on bragging rights.
Thought I read the V8 was designed and is produced by Porsche for both companies.

But does it really matter today if the buildings the engines are being designed and manufactured in say Audi or Porsche on the outside? Does one really have better engineering and manufacturing capabilities versus the other?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Macans look good on the track. Unlike that FWD Benz minivan plunging through a turn, lmao.

Is it me or does that Audi 2.9tt not sound as mean as the outgoing 3.6 Porsche tt ?? Bragging rights are definitely hurt when one finds and Audi engine in a Porsche turbo. Sharing the platform and the transmission is one thing but it’s a straight Audi now!!
It’s not just you. I notice that on the new Pannys. They have that generic small displacement “gastric” synthetic turbo fart sound of so many new turbo cars. The Porsche engines in the Macans I feel did well to avoid that. And I agree. I love the Macan but an Audi platform, an Audi engine and a PDK derived from the Audi unit? Just too far for my liking. I tend to romanticize my cars and that messes with the Macan aura and specialness/uniqueness imo.

Thought I read the V8 was designed and is produced by Porsche for both companies.

But does it really matter today if the buildings the engines are being designed and manufactured in say Audi or Porsche on the outside? Does one really have better engineering and manufacturing capabilities versus the other?
It does when you’re spending a lot more than Audi money and you want some fundamental “grains” to go with the premium of your Porsche badge.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It does when you’re spending a lot more than Audi money and you want some fundamental “grains” to go with the premium of your Porsche badge.
What matters most to me is that I'm getting a superior driving experience and nicer interior appointments worth the extra $. Could care less where the parts are sourced from so long as there are not dependability issues.

If I had to do it all over again today I would again be considering the SQ5 alternative. I think VAG has allowed the gap between the two cars to close somewhat. Especially noticeable if you drive an SQ5 with AS and Audi's version of PTV. And in the definition of "superior driving experience" I include tech.

Is the Porsche worth more? Of course. But I ask myself how much more. I expect there will soon be (if there are not already) AS lowering modules allowing improvement to the SQ5's handlng. Would it match the Macan's handling? Would not at all expect that, but based on the huge handling improvement with the lowering module on my current Macan, I would expect a significant improvement to the OEM SQ5 AS.

One of the things that really pushed me to go with the Macan was the availability of the larger engine with all the low end torque, even though I very much like the immediacy of the supercharged engine on the old generation SQ5. In this category and price range I want a car that accelerates absolutely effortlessly. But now the old SQ5 is gone and the new SQ5 engine feels very similar to the GTS engine. The piece we don't know yet is what will the new Turbo power be like with the 2.9? I'm interested in more than just peak horsepower numbers as I don't often take the engine beyond 4500 RPM. Guess we will know fairly soon.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Yea it matters. Why doesn’t Audi build engines for the gt3? Or take over building the flat 6? Would fly over well with 911 owners? Why would you think macan owners should be ok with it. If they are ok then why not take it all the way an put a VW engine in there? What a joke!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yea it matters. Why doesn’t Audi build engines for the gt3? Or take over building the flat 6? Would fly over well with 911 owners? Why would you think macan owners should be ok with it. If they are ok then why not take it all the way an put a VW engine in there? What a joke!
I really don't see any other division building the boxer motors for Porsche. What would be the logic as these engines are not used in any other VAG product, and Porsche already has the tooling to do it?

Why would I think Macan owners would be OK with engines built by someone other than Porsche? For starters, look at how many of them already been sold :D

This reminds me of when Audi announced that they were going to build Q5's in Mexico, and several forum members here boldly claimed they would substantially hurt their sales. Did not exactly work out that way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really don't see any other division building the boxer motors for Porsche. What would be the logic as these engines are not used in any other VAG product, and Porsche already has the tooling to do it?

Why would I think Macan owners would be OK with engines built by someone other than Porsche? For starters, look at how many of them already been sold :D

This reminds me of when Audi announced that they were going to build Q5's in Mexico, and several forum members here boldly claimed they would substantially hurt their sales. Did not exactly work out that way.

Remember we are talking about the turbo model not the base model they are very diff vehicles. As a turbo owner I would not shell out that kind of money for a reskinned audi.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Remember we are talking about the turbo model not the base model they are very diff vehicles. As a turbo owner I would not shell out that kind of money for a reskinned audi.
I agree with your position and statements. For me, it was the reason for getting a CPO GTS (I would've also taken a Turbo model). I wanted the Porsche engine. Having owned the current generation S4 with the 3.0T engine, which is also used in the SQ5, the characteristics between the two engines is completely different. We powerful for a DD, I found it lifeless. The GTS engine, fast-revving and it mimics a NA engine.

If VAG decides to use more Audi tech in the next generation Macan, for me, the Porsche badge becomes less attractive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Having owned the current generation S4 with the 3.0T engine, which is also used in the SQ5, the characteristics between the two engines is completely different. We powerful for a DD, I found it lifeless. The GTS engine, fast-revving and it mimics a NA engine.
As much as I really like the used GTS that my daughter and son-in-law recently purchased I would definitely not say it mimics an NA engine given the noticeable turbo lag that has been widely reported.

We installed the Cobb tune yesterday, and while it makes a significant difference in power across the rev range, it mitigated the turbo lag only slightly if at all. My son-in-law is thinking of buying a pedal commander or something similar.

It definitely has plenty of power (even more now) but it still favors higher rpm's . And I would agree that the power comes on similar to the SQ5 (pre Cobb installation) although the GTS seems to have a more spirited high-end, both with and without the Cobb. But I think by far the most noticeable difference between the two powertrains is the transmission.

Surprised to hear anyone call the new SQ5/S4 engine "lifeless". Sure, many of us would enjoy hammering an RS7, but in my experience both of those models are not exactly slow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As much as I really like the used GTS that my daughter and son-in-law recently purchased I would definitely not say it mimics an NA engine given the noticeable turbo lag that has been widely reported.

We installed the Cobb tune yesterday, and while it makes a significant difference in power across the rev range, it mitigated the turbo lag only slightly if at all. My son-in-law is thinking of buying a pedal commander or something similar.

It definitely has plenty of power (even more now) but it still favors higher rpm's . And I would agree that the power comes on similar to the SQ5 (pre Cobb installation) although the GTS seems to have a more spirited high-end, both with and without the Cobb. But I think by far the most noticeable difference between the two powertrains is the transmission.

Surprised to hear anyone call the new SQ5/S4 engine "lifeless". Sure, many of us would enjoy hammering an RS7, but in my experience both of those models are not exactly slow.

I had similar feelings and then I installed a racechip xlr (racechip’s version of the pedal commander). After this you’ll realize it’s not turbo lag it’s just pedal lag!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts

Sales are an entirely different matter. Porsche and Audi can build 140 HP 2 cylinders sourced by Lada and built on Tata chassis’ and people will line up. It’s the long term effect on enthusiast cachet that it would effect. Porsche has so much brand power that they can sacrifice a ton of long term value by milking it and cashing in today (see BMW, a car I used to dream about and now would have issues spending more than Honda money on, they’re just not special anymore although I still respect what they do well). As an enthusiast, that’s what I’m weary of. And how Porsche respects the enthusiast side of their brand, base, and products is how I personally will value them. I couldn’t care less about sales as I don’t own their stock and will let the boardroom worry about that (Macans selling so well once the base came out is a large reason why I sold mine, wasn’t as interesting once I saw them everywhere being driven by Joe/Janes who couldn’t care less about Porsche dynamics). I’m not a guy who’ll buy a Porsche built in America (for example) with the heart and soul (engine, chassis) engineered by marquees who I consider inferior on the engineering side and not as special nor unique. If that’s the case, I’ll just buy an actual American car for a lot less money. But that’s because I romanticize cars. Cars aren’t appliances and logical for me. They’re hobbies and toys above all. So the fuzzy, maybe not fully logistical stuff goes a long way.

I always said that I would never buy a base Macan with its VW engine and Audi chassis because it went too far to me. Same goes for the Audi engine most probably. It’s not about the power, but the “soul,” and funny as it sounds to those who see cars as appliances or look at the fundamental net effect, I like to be in tune with the “soul” aspect of a car. Otherwise it’s not worth paying premiums. My wife’s Hyundai is a truly remarkably impressive appliance car for a bargain price.

I drove an SQ5 and S5 coupe, I personally feel the 3.0 Audi engine lacks some soul and emotion and didn’t sound great (standard 3.0 turbo 6 sound, whereas the Macan V6s were clearly engineered to *try* and emulate a Porsche flat six sound, especially at startup). Great fundamental engines and I think right now Audi is engineering and designing better and more sewn together cars than BMW and M-B (never used to think that before), but again, but they didn’t stir me like the Porsches do. I’m not a fan of turbo engines in general as I feel they’re all homogenized in feeling, sound, powerband, displacement, character (or lack thereof) etc. especially now and days, but the Macan V6’s, especially GTS did a decent job of trying to emulate an N/A vibe, imo a factor of Porsche’s engineering and care when it comes to these emotive nuances. The horrendously delayed pedal response is another story.

·
Registered
281 Posts
but the Macan V6’s, especially GTS did a decent job of trying to emulate an N/A vibe
As much as I like the Macan PSE, I don't think the GTS exhaust note is any different versus any of the other V6 trim levels (with PSE of course). I don't detect any difference. Do you?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
As much as I like the Macan PSE, I don't think the GTS exhaust note is any different versus any of the other V6 trim levels (with PSE of course). I don't detect any difference. Do you?
Can’t say with experience if it’s better than any other Macan V6 with PSE, but I guess I mean in the fact that it has PSE standard so any GTS you know will sound the best of what the Macan offers. I thought the GTS exhaust sounded excellent when I drove them (while I had my non PSE Macan S) but that was before I had my Sharkwerks piped N/A 911 which sounds like a chainsaw from **** in the best way possible, so who knows how it would sound to me now.

While I had my 911, I was very underwhelmed with the SQ5/S5 exhaust sound. And then even more underwhelmed when I found out what I DID hear was artificial sound being pumped into the cabin. I can’t stand that cars do that now. They know they can’t make them sound inherently good with small displacement, low compression turbo engines, so they fake it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Having both an S without PSE and a GTS, I had an S loaner with PSE while getting my GTS serviced and wanted to hear the difference. From just immediately hopping from one into the other and driving, I can say there is a difference from inside the vehicle. My GTS also has the thermal glass option and the S loaner did not.

After having experienced the S with PSE, compared to the GTS I don't feel that I missed out when I didn't include PSE on the S.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yet another reason to keep my '15 S with the Porsche sourced and built 3.0 twin turbo 6. I still like the natural not phony piped in growl of my dual exhaust,especially on a cold start up and kicking in boost in a tunnel.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts