Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This new PCM continues to annoy!

The NAV portion is the PCM is not booting up for some reason. The NAV tile just loops and loops with the circular arrow.

Last night when it first happened, I had the car on long enough that the PCM may have realized something was wrong and rebooted (the PORSCHE letter came up on the screen).

I get in the car to check a few things today and again, the NAV is not coming up.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence, but I had to repair my iPhone and CarPlay yesterday when I first noticed this behavior.

Is there some way to manually reboot the PCM? Holding down the left circular button only turns the screen off but doesn't seem to reboot it.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I got this email from Porsche about a month ago, hope it helps... it states:

We are aware that some of our customers are experiencing an issue with their vehicle’s central communication unit, known as the Porsche Communication Management (PCM), causing it to continuously reboot.​
If your vehicle is equipped with PCM and you are experiencing this condition, performing a hard reset of the PCM should resolve the concern. To perform this reset please follow these steps:​
***Before performing this procedure, ensure that your vehicle is located outdoors. Please note that hard resetting the PCM will remove all personalized settings

1. Press and hold the INFO button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
  2. Press the CAR button.
  3. Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
  4. Select "SET PCM system">>"Reset PCM".
  5. Select "Vehicle handover" This resets all settings to predefined values and deletes your personal settings and data (including addresses, destinations, radio stations, phone numbers, as well as the recordings in the Sport display).
  6. Confirm the relevant prompt by selecting "Yes".
If after performing this procedure your vehicle continues to experience consistent reboots please contact your local authorized dealership to schedule an appointment for further diagnosis.​

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick update. Used the car for a day trip today that involved 5 or 6 ignition restarts.

Only on one time did the NAV system fail to boot up and that was on the longest segment of the drive (of course) that was close to 2 hours of constant driving. At the end of that segment, the arrow was still spinning around trying to boot. I was using Waze on the Apple Carplay screen so I didn't have to look at the **** thing at least.

Thinking back, I had made another change on the NAV settings recently. I enabled the 3D Google Map satellite overlays instead of using the default graphical map. I have a theory that maybe on bootup the built in SIM card is not getting a single yet before the NAV tries to download the Google Map for my location and this is crashing the startup process.

The engine restart after the 2-hr stint booted right into the NAV with the map and I disabled the 3D overlap. We'll see if my theory holds any water. It's not a daily driver so it'll be a while before I can test this again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my changes did nothing. The NAV app was still spinning trying to boot this morning.

So I did a complete system reset via the menus. It took forever to complete but came back with an error message saying unable to complete. I should've taken a photo of it.

I did lose all my phone pairings and the radio presets. Did it fix the NAV boot? Nope. I'm hoping it stays broken now so I can bring it to the dealer in this state, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Well that just completely sucks! I would take a video of it acting up so you have your proof for your dealer if you need it.

The MMI system in my Audi S5 was acting up a couple of years ago and I would call and complain about it, and of course it was working fine when I would zip by the dealer. My favorite service advisor told me it costs big bucks so they would rather try to do easy fixes instead of just taking out the old system and replacing it. So I videoed it for my dealer and they sent if off to Audi and needless to say I of course got a new MMI system and Audi got some training material because they claim they have never had what my MMI was doing happen before (i personally call BS on that one). It just sucked having to be on the phone with Sirius/XM to get the sat radio working again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts