Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Some of you may think I am nuts, but I have been keeping the RPMs on my 4 week old GTS at or below 4,000 during the “break in period.” That changed today! I found a quiet, straight street, put Dolly in sport and the suspension in sports plus, came to a full stop, and then floored it! OMG!!! It pulled like stink!! And this is coming from a guy who owned a 2016 Cayman S. The GTS is a very fast car and exceeded my best expectations. My girlfriend was riding with me and said “Wow! It felt like my brain hit the back of my skull!” 😜
Oh how marvellous! Although, I hope you've passed the break in period? 😏

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
263 Posts
Oh how marvellous! Although, I hope you've passed the break in period? 😏
Here’s the thing: when I took delivery, the Porsche trained person who explains how to operate the various systems said that Porsches do not have to broken in. He said he was taught that during his training at Porsche. However, the manual says to let it break in for 2000 miles. Who is right? I plan to go easy on her for the first 1000 miles. But yesterday, I just had to see what I am working with!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here’s the thing: when I took delivery, the Porsche trained person who explains how to operate the various systems said that Porsches do not have to broken in. He said he was taught that during his training at Porsche. However, the manual says to let it break in for 2000 miles. Who is right? I plan to go easy on her for the first 1000 miles. But yesterday, I just had to see what I am working with!
I see, well....it's your car, the choice is up to you! Drive carefully, and enjoy in great health!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I got to one point in the break in break in miles and I remembered sage advice from my Ducati break in days. This was you have got to break the glaze. If you don't let 'er loose occasionally the rings won't set. This worked for both the Ducati and the Porsche.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
263 Posts
I got to one point in the break in break in miles and I remembered sage advice from my Ducati break in days. This was you have got to break the glaze. If you don't let 'er loose occasionally the rings won't set. This worked for both the Ducati and the Porsche.
I’ve heard that referred to as an lItalian tune-up” because many Ferrari owners “kid glove’ their cars and then take it in for service because something isn’t right. The tech takes it out onto the highway and opens it up like it was born to run. Problem solved! 😃

Until I get a definitive answer on whether or not a break in is required, I’ll go extra easy on her, with occasional runs to break the glaze!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with that periodic glaze breaking. If something is going to go wrong, let's get that out of the way early. I do the same with computers I build. Stress test the components as much as possible to get all the components heated up and pushed to their limits. Usually that will show either resilience or a bad part.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
263 Posts
Agree with that periodic glaze breaking. If something is going to go wrong, let's get that out of the way early. I do the same with computers I build. Stress test the components as much as possible to get all the components heated up and pushed to their limits. Usually that will show either resilience or a bad part.
Yes, but in the case of a vehicle break-in period, nothing is expected to fail. You're trying to seat metal surfaces of moving parts and brakes that have never touched before. Not doing so could result in suboptimal ring seating, gear meshing, etc. The result would be a car that is less efficient, burns oil, or a host of other undesirables. Nobody who is planning on keeping the car wants that.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
263 Posts
Plus, it was a hoot to let her rip. Part of the break in is to remeasure the width of your grin.
Hmm, I didn’t read THAT in the owner’s manual, but I love it and will keep a tape measure in my car for accurate grin measurements! 😜

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, but in the case of a vehicle break-in period, nothing is expected to fail. You're trying to seat metal surfaces of moving parts and brakes that have never touched before. Not doing so could result in suboptimal ring seating, gear meshing, etc. The result would be a car that is less efficient, burns oil, or a host of other undesirables. Nobody who is planning on keeping the car wants that.
Yep, I totally agree. I was just giving at least some analogy to the idea to give it **** at least a bit during break in.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche Macan GTS
263 Posts
Yep, I totally agree. I was just giving at least some analogy to the idea to give it **** at least a bit during break in.
@unstatusthequo I’m with you 100%! My first BMW 5-Series was a 1998 off-lease CPO 528i. After a few years and when the warranty expired, it started giving me a host of costly problems. So after I had it 11 years, I decided to give BMW one last chance because I really didn’t know how the previous owner treated that car.

I ordered a new 2011 535i and followed the break in instructions to the T. I NEVER exceeded 4000 rpm until I crossed 1,000 miles on the ODO. Long story short, that car cost me more in repairs in just the second half of last year than any car I’ve owned: $6,000 in Sept and, the final straw on Xmas eve when it put my girlfriend and me down on the way to her parents. That was $1300. That was it!

Hence, I traded in my Cayman S as a down payment (dealer gave me $50,000 for it), ordered my GTS, and sold my 535 when the GTS came in. I’ll NEVER buy another BMW!

I say all this as anecdotal evidence as proof that a proper break won’t help the reliability of a shitty car. But for a good car, I have no data. ANY THOUGHTS?!

·
Registered
36 Posts
@unstatusthequo I’m with you 100%! My first BMW 5-Series was a 1998 off-lease CPO 528i. After a few years and when the warranty expired, it started giving me a host of costly problems. So after I had it 11 years, I decided to give BMW one last chance because I really didn’t know how the previous owner treated that car.

I ordered a new 2011 535i and followed the break in instructions to the T. I NEVER exceeded 4000 rpm until I crossed 1,000 miles on the ODO. Long story short, that car cost me more in repairs in just the second half of last year than any car I’ve owned: $6,000 in Sept and, the final straw on Xmas eve when it put my girlfriend and me down on the way to her parents. That was $1300. That was it!

Hence, I traded in my Cayman S as a down payment (dealer gave me $50,000 for it), ordered my GTS, and sold my 535 when the GTS came in. I’ll NEVER buy another BMW!

I say all this as anecdotal evidence as proof that a proper break won’t help the reliability of a shitty car. But for a good car, I have no data. ANY THOUGHTS?!
Not sure, but my new Macan GTS is arriving at the dealership any day now. So we will know soon!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well the Mediterranean Highway left Emden yesterday with my GTS on board heading to Halifax. Ahead of the revised reopening schedule. Don't know if it will continue down the US east coast because the PWL Group website still isn't updating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well the Mediterranean Highway left Emden yesterday with my GTS on board heading to Halifax. Ahead of the revised reopening schedule. Don't know if it will continue down the US east coast because the PWL Group website still isn't updating.
Finally!! That’s good news...

Mine should be built Friday, so I plan to check in by Monday or Tuesday; with luck it will have been built and made it to port by then.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Marvellous news! Not long now! 😊

·
Registered
370 Posts
My car finally arrived into Melbourne on the Trigger yesterday. Crazy when order was placed 11th November and original contract had an ETA of 31st March. I have been without a Macan now since March, so definitely looking forward to getting into the new one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My car finally arrived into Melbourne on the Trigger yesterday. Crazy when order was placed 11th November and original contract had an ETA of 31st March. I have been without a Macan now since March, so definitely looking forward to getting into the new one.
Wonderful news! Congratulations - despite the wait, you must be extremely excited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally!! That’s good news...

Mine should be built Friday, so I plan to check in by Monday or Tuesday; with luck it will have been built and made it to port by then.
My GTS was built on the 26th and is now at Port Emden. I am so excited for the last leg. Maybe ours will be on the same ship.

How are you guys able to find the vessel? When I go into the PWL site it is still showing March Departures. I am in NYC so I assume it will be going to the Davisville port.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My GTS was built on the 26th and is now at Port Emden. I am so excited for the last leg. Maybe ours will be on the same ship.

How are you guys able to find the vessel? When I go into the PWL site it is still showing March Departures. I am in NYC so I assume it will be going to the Davisville port.
I set up a free account at Marine Watch. Found the vehicle carriers docked there. I think there are 3 of them at the moment. Set up a notification on each to alert me when any of them leave port. Then call my SA for update.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Cool! You can ask your sales guy to confirm the vessel it made; don’t think they know long in advance, if at all, but eventually (when it’s on board) that info will be available to him/her.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts