Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and it was suggested to post my build code. Recently put down deposit for a 2020 GTS due to arrive in October and so I am guessing based on what others have posted that my build will be sometime in August. SA suggested several options I had not planned to get (Apple Car Play and Lane Change Assist), and I think it was the right decision to add those. Options it was suggested not to get that I had been planning include PTV+ and SC.

Given my October delivery, I think that my build will probably lock fairly soon. Had asked but wasn't given lock date as it is only an estimate and per my SA they are not supposed to share it. Am still debating the following options:

1. PTV+. Have read much of that thread and am still feeling conflicted about whether I should add it given winter driving conditions in Canada.

2. Cargo/load management system. Hadn't considered this option but it seems many on here have found it useful or wished they got it.

3. My colour is night blue. Having the side blades painted in exterior colour may look better than black.

4. PDLS light system - description on the configuration site is not too informative and I didn't ask about it at the dealership. Not sure what people think of this option.

Interested for people's input/feedback!

·
Registered
412 Posts
@Canuck, I’d recommend the PTV system for driving in winter conditions. I tried a back to back comparison in the snow on another manufacturer’s comparable with/without, and stock was good, with the PTV equivalent very noticeably better.

I prefer the side blades in body colour, but it is definitely a personal choice.

As to lights, I’ve never been able to figure out the difference between no PDLS, PDLS, and PDLS-Plus. I think PDLS is standard on the GTS, but could be wrong. I’m looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Consider porsche entry & drive?

Just my opinion but if optioning PTV+ was for winter purposes, will you be getting snow tires as well?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider porsche entry & drive?

Just my opinion but if optioning PTV+ was for winter purposes, will you be getting snow tires as well?
This is an interesting point. I have a set of summer and winter wheels/tires for my current rear-wheel drive 2-seater. Was thinking I would do the same with the Macan but SA suggested to go with the All Seasons for flexibility and that they may well be sufficient in the winter. I am planning to drive into the cottage in the winter and mentioned this specifically and was surprised that a winter set was not recommended. Not sure others' experience with the All Seasons on 20 inch rims in the winter, but definitely interested for feedback on this. My original plan was to get a set of 19 inch wheels with winter tires for the winter.

As for Porsche entry & drive, this didn't seem worth the cost as I have been quite content using a regular key to date. Did not option the premium package since there were several items in there that weren't important for me (or that I did not want e.g. 14-way seats) and so it was cheaper to select the options I wanted a la carte.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is an interesting point. I have a set of summer and winter wheels/tires for my current rear-wheel drive 2-seater. Was thinking I would do the same with the Macan but SA suggested to go with the All Seasons for flexibility and that they may well be sufficient in the winter. I am planning to drive into the cottage in the winter and mentioned this specifically and was surprised that a winter set was not recommended. Not sure others' experience with the All Seasons on 20 inch rims in the winter, but definitely interested for feedback on this. My original plan was to get a set of 19 inch wheels with winter tires for the winter.

As for Porsche entry & drive, this didn't seem worth the cost as I have been quite content using a regular key to date. Did not option the premium package since there were several items in there that weren't important for me (or that I did not want e.g. 14-way seats) and so it was cheaper to select the options I wanted a la carte.
Are the All Seasons really all seasons? Or 3 seasons? What we used to call all seasons really are not.

I don’t know if one can get true All Seasons for the GTS rim sizes. It would be nice if one could.

I have winters on 18” rims on our GTS for Prairie winter driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the All Seasons really all seasons? Or 3 seasons? What we used to call all seasons really are not.

I don’t know if one can get true All Seasons for the GTS rim sizes. It would be nice if one could.

I have winters on 18” rims on our GTS for Prairie winter driving.
Good question. I haven't driven on All Seasons for over 10 yrs and should probably ask for more info. I believe the tires are chosen/sourced at the factory and so dealer may not be able to confidently say which brand of tires I will get (I understand that the vehicle is test driven before it leaves the factory).

Which 18" rims do you have? Was thinking 19" only because that's what's listed as optional for winter tire set. But you are right that smaller diameter even better in winter. And of course I don't have to source the rims/tires from Porsche. Have been really happy driving Michelin Pilot Sport Winter Tires on my current car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good question. I haven't driven on All Seasons for over 10 yrs and should probably ask for more info. I believe the tires are chosen/sourced at the factory and so dealer may not be able to confidently say which brand of tires I will get (I understand that the vehicle is test driven before it leaves the factory).

Which 18" rims do you have? Was thinking 19" only because that's what's listed as optional for winter tire set. But you are right that smaller diameter even better in winter. And of course I don't have to source the rims/tires from Porsche. Have been really happy driving Michelin Pilot Sport Winter Tires on my current car.
I have standard 5 spoke 18” Porsche rims purchased with the Macan from the dealership loaded with Perrelli Scorpion tyres. Would have preferred Nokian tyres, but they were not available in the needed sizes at the time.

If you get the Porsche rims, make sure they come with the Centre caps (or you can by the cheepo repros off of eBay like I did - definitely not the same quality but ok for winters I figure).

Check with your SA about the 18’s. GTS does not list 18’s as an option. They fit on the 2017 with red brakes, but can’t vouch for 2020 or white brakes or yellow brakes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thank-you. This seems correct based on what I found in another thread as well after posting.
Full description of "LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)" which comes standard on the GTS (in the U.S. - not sure about Canada):

• LED Headlights in Black
    Full LED headlights with low/high beams in LED technology, automatic headlight leveling, and LED 4-point daytime running lights
  • Dynamic Cornering Light
    Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.
  • Static Cornering Light
    Static cornering lights are activated based on steering angle at low speed in tighter corners or while stationary.
  • Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control
    Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.

• High Beam Assistant
    When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe the tires are chosen/sourced at the factory and so dealer may not be able to confidently say which brand of tires I will get (I understand that the vehicle is test driven before it leaves the factory).
Tire Rack shows the original equipment 20" all-season tires as either Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. At least in the USA, you can specify summer tires at no additional cost and for summer tires, Pirelli P Zero, Michelin Latitude Sport 3, Goodyear Eagle Touring or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV tires are all fitted. Neither the customer nor the dealer can specify brand; it's luck of the draw...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I hope my GTS comes with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires!

Reactions: John Y and Llarry

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
PTV seems great but I had to draw a line on my budget and didn't order one. I live in Minnesota which has winter conditions very similar (or worst) depending on where you live in Canada. I have ZERO issues in driving my Macan in the winter here. I think PTV would be a nice to have but not something you would miss if you don't have it.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Registered
412 Posts
PTV seems great but I had to draw a line on my budget and didn't order one. I live in Minnesota which has winter conditions very similar (or worst) depending on where you live in Canada. I have ZERO issues in driving my Macan in the winter here. I think PTV would be a nice to have but not something you would miss if you don't have it.
@santastico, I think you are right. You would likely not notice the difference with/without PTV on snow/ice unless you compared them back to back.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
@santastico, I think you are right. You would likely not notice the difference with/without PTV on snow/ice unless you compared them back to back.
Just to clarify, my Macan with no PTV but equipped with winter tires and PASM is the best car I have ever driven in winter conditions. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had PTV but so far I don't think I need anything else.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tire Rack shows the original equipment 20" all-season tires as either Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. At least in the USA, you can specify summer tires at no additional cost and for summer tires, Pirelli P Zero, Michelin Latitude Sport 3, Goodyear Eagle Touring or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV tires are all fitted. Neither the customer nor the dealer can specify brand; it's luck of the draw...
I have Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my current car and really like them. I thought my winter tires were also Michelin but they are in fact Dunlop Wintersport. Both were noticeable upgrades from the Bridgestone summer and winter tires that I initially had on my BMW. One of the things that I think I will miss is having run-flat tires. As someone who works odd hours I really liked the security of knowing that I would not get stranded with a flat. Would be curious to know if anyone has RFT tires on their Macan. I have always changed my own wheels but the Macan is a lot bigger than my current 2-seater and I don't relish the idea of trying to put on the collapsable tire on the side of the road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just curious. How do you know this for sure? Were you able to specify the brand and seasonal type?
You can only choose between all-season or summer tires (unless you order 21s, which only come with summers), you can’t select a tire brand or model - you will then receive one of the various OEM tires Porsche has selected for the car. For the Macan, it’s usually 2-3 a/s and 2-3 summer tires, sometimes they differ according to size of wheel/tire ordered. You can deduce what those are, of course, through photos, feedback from owners, and from TireRack online, where you can filter OEM tires when you shop tires for a specific vehicle.

AND, you can find out what is actually on your car, once it’s been built. There is a tire code number located on the screenshots many of us typically get from our dealers for status updates on the vehicle, I can’t recall the name of the system they use PSMP, or something like that, but we’ve all seen or posted those screenshots; I can try to post my last one to show you what I mean. You can take that tire code and online, there’s at least one tire industry website that “decodes” those numbers according to plant/manufacturer. Mine is “6UAE” I think, which translates to a plant in Clermont-Ferrand, France, and the name of a company I didn’t actually recognize, it turns out it’s just a Michelin corporate entity - and Michelin are the only ones with a tire plant in Clermont-Ferrand, anyway. So, I know it’s a Michelin. I ordered summers, and I know the only N-spec Michelin summer tire used on the Macan, at least on 20s, is the Latitude Sport 3. So that is what I expect to see when I get my car in a few weeks. So there you have it, you can’t choose them per se, though when you make your choice you may have a very good idea of what specific tire you’ll get, and once the car’s built, you CAN confirm that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts