Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1580 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad that it looks almost the same as the current design. It sounds like most of the upgrades are mechanical.
I agreed

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The only thing which concerns me with the facelift is if it's released early . It basically would abbreviate the 18 model year (much like the 16) . The key in buying any of these at this point is to modest spec the car in case the next one is amazing . It gives the ability to get in and out and still have a great car . it just wont have too much extra fluff .

I have a feeling Porsche will really turn up the juice even more with future Macans . The car is Porsche's modern day nest egg . With thousands of them already on the road imagine the profit if despite a mild price increase everyone wants the new car . CPO prices will ramp up (as the new car costs more) , current owners trade in and out , and new shoppers come into the mix .

·
Registered
738 Posts
The only thing which concerns me with the facelift is if it's released early . It basically would abbreviate the 18 model year (much like the 16) . The key in buying any of these at this point is to modest spec the car in case the next one is amazing . It gives the ability to get in and out and still have a great car . it just wont have too much extra fluff .

I have a feeling Porsche will really turn up the juice even more with future Macans . The car is Porsche's modern day nest egg . With thousands of them already on the road imagine the profit if despite a mild price increase everyone wants the new car . CPO prices will ramp up (as the new car costs more) , current owners trade in and out , and new shoppers come into the mix .
You're on your third Macan, right? This strategy makes sense for you and I would be concerned at all times if I flipped rides like that.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
You're on your third Macan, right? This strategy makes sense for you and I would be concerned at all times if I flipped rides like that.
I would have been on my first had the trade in values not been so well in the beginning of this car . The second car was in an accident . I don't normally flip cars this fast but i do feel that it's very easy to like a revised Porsche . It's not just me . I have lost count of how many people looked at the revised car and fell for it enough to buy it . Most of the low mileage CPO cars were owned by those who traded in for a new one . It's usually the person who over specs his car or goes into a car over budget who is stuck but even he wants the car .. if its that great .

It just my logic to leave the choices a bit more open . Over spec the car that door of opportunity closes just a little bit more .

Lastly .. there is nothing wrong with holding onto savings . In my opinion it's better to buy no car at all than to buy the wrong car .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Agree on buying no car than to buy the wrong car. Also agree on savings. Keep a vehicle at least 4-5 years, value has a different meaning. When it comes to fluff, there is no monetary value at any time, which is why I keep the fluff to a minimum but I don't rule it out if it's truly something I want.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Love my Macan, hate to have it depreciate so low that I have to come up with too much cash for the next one. Coming up on three years in May so I'm trading in for MY18. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
You can always entrust Porsche to facelift/update, even bring in next gen cars in a long-term savvy, respectable, classy way so as to allow the new one to shine as a proudly subtle evolution with notable improvements, yet at the same time not diminish the previous one in any way, thus allowing it to age gracefully, timelessly and with dignity. For example: I actually think the pre facelift Cayenne GTS (by far the nicest Cayenne designation) is nicer than the facelift version (I like the more harmonious to the rest of the body, rounder/sporty organic front bumper and 911 style hoodlines), which is very subtly changed but in a way to let both appropriately shine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can always entrust Porsche to facelift/update, even bring in next gen cars in a long-term savvy, respectable, classy way so as to allow the new one to shine as a proudly subtle evolution with notable improvements, yet at the same time not diminish the previous one in any way, thus allowing it to age gracefully, timelessly and with dignity. For example: I actually think the pre facelift Cayenne GTS (by far the nicest Cayenne designation) is nicer than the facelift version (I like the more harmonious to the rest of the body, rounder/sporty organic front bumper and 911 style hoodlines), which is very subtly changed but in a way to let both appropriately shine.

This is true with Audi and VW, too. Facelifts are evolutionary, not revolutionary. Even the new Audi Q5 is more evolutionary with the new body style coming out in a few months.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is true with Audi and VW, too. Facelifts are evolutionary, not revolutionary. Even the new Audi Q5 is more evolutionary with the new body style coming out in a few months.
The new Q5 silhouette and body looks exactly the same as previous model...quite disappointing wonder if they even bothered much with an all new frame and chassis.

·
Registered
467 Posts
About to pull the trigger on a MY18 GTS but one last niggling thought was, what if spring 2018 MY19 comes out with major changes? From what I see here and other sites:
2019 Porsche Macan spy shots
2019 Porsche Macan Gets A Mid-Cycle Refresh and Several New Engine Options | SUVs & Trucks
2019 PORSCHE MACAN PROTOTYPE SPOTTED: SUV WILL GET A MID-CYCLE REFRESH IN 2018 | Latest Car Overviews
... is that it will NOT be anything major, biggest change may be Turbo power plant. Not surprising since GTS came out, Turbo is not selling. My SA said he sold 47 Macans last year, only 1 of them a Turbo. Before GTS came out, everyone was clamouring for Turbo.

Sometimes mid-cycle refresh changes may even be undesirable such as 981.1 to 981.2 - generally poor acceptance of 718. Even with the 911, I prefer the NA 991.1 - in fact I prefer my 997.2 to the 991 which became more of a grand tourer rather than a sports car. But that is just my preference...

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@PMAV Changes are always coming. Unless there is something specific you are waiting for, and it has actually been announced on the next edition, there is no reason to wait IMO. Otherwise what happens is you just keep waiting for the NBT and years go by before you realize it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
@PMAV Changes are always coming. Unless there is something specific you are waiting for, and it has actually been announced on the next edition, there is no reason to wait IMO. Otherwise what happens is you just keep waiting for the NBT and years go by before you realize it.
My thoughts exactly. I was actually holding off a couple of weeks and waiting for MY18 hoping Android Auto would be available. I had it on some cheap rental cars and found it very useful. Not there for MY18, will not wait for MY19 since to me a car is something I enjoy driving, it is not an electronic appliance that takes me from place to place.

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Cars change all the time and you can spend a lot of money chasing the next new thing. Which of course is fine if you have the dough.

The fact that the facelift Macan looks essentially identical to the current one suggests that it is staying on the previous generation Q5 chassis. Thats too bad, because my wife and I had a chance to drive the new Q5 a few weeks ago and it is lighter and better handling than the outgoing model and would make a fabulous chassis for a Macan. But it looks like that might not happen till 2023, so Porsche will be behind the curve in the Audi universe. The interior of the new Q5 is also very much like the new Panamera. Clean Bang and Olufsen style.

As far as Im concerned, I'll keep my Macan till it is on a new chassis. I don't care too much about the gizmos in the car. I care about the fundamental Porsche traits of handling and acceleration and those are unlikely to change much in the next few years. If I really do get an itch, maybe a new Panamera AWD wagon could be in my future. It loos like a squashed, but sleek Macan.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Reactions: WHT TGR
1 - 20 of 1580 Posts