Porsche Macan Forum banner

2019 Macan and Android / Samsung

5K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  burnsy1 
#1 ·
when my new model Macan was delivered in December 2018 I was told that the board computer would soon get an update in order to become compatible with Android / Samsung smartphones (after one of the Porsche bosses got rather bad press after declaring this was not necessary since the vast majority of Porsche drivers use iPhone)... I'm still waiting... any news on that ?

#2 ·
I do recall someone at Porsche stating that Android was not an option because 90 percent? of Porsche users used iPhones.
If that percentage is anywhere close to being accurate Porsche will not be offering that option anytime soon.
Bad press? I don’t think so. People buying a Porsche will never base their decision on what phone is compatible with their navigation system and Porsche knows that.

#6 ·
I think it has something to do with a licensing agreement between Porsche and Google.

They can say what they will, and there is nothing wrong with having an iPhone, but most of the tech people I know and work with use Android.

FWIW-

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide - November 2020

Android 71.18%
iOS 28.19%
Samsung 0.24%
Unknown 0.14%
KaiOS 0.13%
Windows 0.03%

Android Auto would be a nice feature.

#7 ·
I think it has something to do with a licensing agreement between Porsche and Google.

They can say what they will, and there is nothing wrong with having an iPhone, but most of the tech people I know and work with use Android.

FWIW-

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide - November 2020

Android 71.18%
iOS 28.19%
Samsung 0.24%
Unknown 0.14%
KaiOS 0.13%
Windows 0.03%

Android Auto would be a nice feature.
Now do those percentages by income levels and you might see where Porsche’s policy is heading.

#9 ·
Not offering android auto is a joke, but then again I didnt buy the Macan for Apple Car play. I am not an iSheep and dont have an iPhone. If Porsche thinks the bulk of the Porsche owners are iPhone owners is ridiculous. They have must have drank the iSheep Kool Aid. I have owned/own 3 Porsches (2 currently) and never owned an iPhone.

#12 ·
This perspective of "only X % of the market" should be irrelevant when considering that this is Porsche we're talking about. They will let me spend thousands if I want.. on various options like 14 different colors for deviated stitching. I can pay 2k to have my freaking vent slats painted if I want. Or I can pay over 10k to have my car painted any color I want.....

Deviated Stitching:
  • Mamba Green Sure
  • Mahogany Sure
  • Acid Green Sure
  • Black Sure
  • Pebble Grey Sure
  • Agate Grey Sure
  • Guards Red Sure
  • Steel Grey Sure
  • Espresso Sure
  • Garnet Red Sure
  • Mojave Beige Sure
  • Titanium Blue Sure
  • Garnet Red stitching with Pebble Grey Seat Centers Sure
  • Pebble Grey stitching with Garnet Red Seat Centers Sure
Key Painted: Sure

Vent Slats Painted: Sure

Android Auto? GTFO!

#13 ·
I use an iPhone and I agree with you. You can purchase any number of mid level cars with both Apple and Android capabilities at no additional cost. Or try to rip the customers off the way BMW did a few years ago by requiring a yearly subscription cost for Apple CarPlay.
Porsche saying their money can be spent more effectively somewhere else is absolute BS.
If that was the only issue, offer Android capability and charge more for it based on fewer people wanting it. For Porsche that would be a win win.

#17 ·
I thought the reason initially was due to the amount of data that Google wanted about the vehicle when in use including information that pertained to the engine. I know I read that for sure I just don't know if it was fake news. I also thought Porsche finally caved last year and decided to make it a soon to be option but I am not sure if that was ever confirmed either.

#18 ·
Here is some photos for you guys to see OEM Android Auto in Macan :)

Attachments

#21 ·
Just had Simaservis update mine last night, Android Auto looks and works better than I expected! Porsche dealership is still saying it is not out yet. After last night I am happy to know I have it working perfectly and likely better than what does eventually come out.

#28 ·
Hi all,

Currently shopping performance SUVs. The new Macan is very appealing, and would be top of the list, except for: the (lack of) Android integration.

I travel a lot to new places for work, sometimes quite long drives, and I use Android Auto heavily. Have previously had a Nissan, 2 Honda Civics, and now a BMW 330i which have all had AA. The BMW implementation is excellent.

I use Google Maps and/or Waze, Spotify and Google Podcasts, and use it to make calls and reply to messages both via normal phone and WhatsApp. It's especially handy on long drives to be able to just push the speech button and say "Spotify, play my playlist "My Cheesy Music"" or "Google, Navigate to Obscure Venue".

Therefore, I worry that I'm going to be missing that. I appreciate all the benefits of Porsche, and that a lot of the experience is the drive - but I'll be kicking myself if I've just put down £65k on a car and it's lacking something my £15k Honda had.

So how does the native systems handle things? How is Porsche Nav at finding random destinations, and dealing with spontaneous traffic changes? How is the integration with media - can I still voice activate Spotify searches? Can it read WhatsApp messages etc?

Just generally looking for opinions from other Porsche/Android owners, especially of more recent models.

Where all the other competitors (Alfa Stelvio, AMG GLC, SQ5, X3M etc) all have very good Android Auto, it's such a shame Porsche still doesn't.

Cheers!

#29 ·
@Cgreenhalgh I'm frustrated at the lack of Android Auto integration. I find the nav, at least on my 2019 to be "fine," but I rarely use it. I have my phone mounted near the driver side air vent and I use Waze\Google Maps primarily, along with Spotify for streaming music. I have "Ok Google" detection turned on, on my phone and occasionally use voice commands. The PCM will show and read text messages, but I don't expect that would work with messaging apps like Whatsapp.

If you are looking for a used Macan I believe simaservices in this thread can enable Android Auto for older versions. There are some developers-hackers whatever you want to call them that have been able to get Android Auto working on the newer PCM's, (pcm5) but the one I know of that's able to do it simply needs you to take your Macan to their shop in the Philippines to have it done lol.

I shopped my 2019 Macan against the BMW x3, MB GLC, FPace, and Stelvio... I think most of them had Android Auto capability, but I still chose the Macan for it's handling and overall quality against others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.