Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my new model Macan was delivered in December 2018 I was told that the board computer would soon get an update in order to become compatible with Android / Samsung smartphones (after one of the Porsche bosses got rather bad press after declaring this was not necessary since the vast majority of Porsche drivers use iPhone)... I'm still waiting... any news on that ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
when my new model Macan was delivered in December 2018 I was told that the board computer would soon get an update in order to become compatible with Android / Samsung smartphones (after one of the Porsche bosses got rather bad press after declaring this was not necessary since the vast majority of Porsche drivers use iPhone)... I'm still waiting... any news on that ?
I do recall someone at Porsche stating that Android was not an option because 90 percent? of Porsche users used iPhones.
If that percentage is anywhere close to being accurate Porsche will not be offering that option anytime soon.
Bad press? I don’t think so. People buying a Porsche will never base their decision on what phone is compatible with their navigation system and Porsche knows that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The unit is definitely capable. Tech with Porsche can be frustrating... considering a Jetta has more capability.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I do recall someone at Porsche stating that Android was not an option because 90 percent? of Porsche users used iPhones.
If that percentage is anywhere close to being accurate Porsche will not be offering that option anytime soon.
Bad press? I don’t think so. People buying a Porsche will never base their decision on what phone is compatible with their navigation system and Porsche knows that.
It's still a pretty big joke not offering Android Auto on a premium luxury vehicle when EVERYONE ELSE does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's still a pretty big joke not offering Android Auto on a premium luxury vehicle when EVERYONE ELSE does.
I do agree.
I love Porsche and... I do have a MacBookPro professionally, but by experience I know the Samsung smartphones are way better than the iPhones and Porsche deciding that their car owners/driver should have iPhones and no other smartphones i totally pretentious...

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
160 Posts
I think it has something to do with a licensing agreement between Porsche and Google.

They can say what they will, and there is nothing wrong with having an iPhone, but most of the tech people I know and work with use Android.

FWIW-

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide - November 2020

Android 71.18%
iOS 28.19%
Samsung 0.24%
Unknown 0.14%
KaiOS 0.13%
Windows 0.03%

Android Auto would be a nice feature.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think it has something to do with a licensing agreement between Porsche and Google.

They can say what they will, and there is nothing wrong with having an iPhone, but most of the tech people I know and work with use Android.

FWIW-

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide - November 2020

Android 71.18%
iOS 28.19%
Samsung 0.24%
Unknown 0.14%
KaiOS 0.13%
Windows 0.03%

Android Auto would be a nice feature.
Now do those percentages by income levels and you might see where Porsche’s policy is heading.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Now do those percentages by income levels and you might see where Porsche’s policy is heading.
Are you saying that Porsche is marketing towards teenage girls and people who are too old to figure out how an Android works? 😁

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not offering android auto is a joke, but then again I didnt buy the Macan for Apple Car play. I am not an iSheep and dont have an iPhone. If Porsche thinks the bulk of the Porsche owners are iPhone owners is ridiculous. They have must have drank the iSheep Kool Aid. I have owned/own 3 Porsches (2 currently) and never owned an iPhone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you saying that Porsche is marketing towards teenage girls and people who are too old to figure out how an Android works? 😁

Please stop it with the iPhone versus Android silly arguments. I own an iPhone and I am pretty sure, based on my career, that I know how to operate an Android device. It’s a personal choice (for me security) and has nothing to do with how smart you are or your age bracket.
Done a little research to try and shed some light on why Android is currently not offered by Porsche.

On November 19, 2019 Porsche CEO Klaus Zellmer, speaking at an Automobility Conference in LA said the following about two of its largest Porsche markets.

Quote. We will offer Android solutions. Why aren’t we doing that right now? Let’s take a look at the United States. 91% of Porsche customers have an Apple device. So, this is how you most efficiently invest your money. But if you take China for example, of our current customers in China, 80% of them have an Apple device, which is also staggering. Unquote

Don’t think that Porsche is also not aware that the latest stats indicate that the U.S. Median income for iphone users in 2019 is $85K. Per year. For Android users $61K. Per year. During that same period iphone usage in the US was 45.2 percent.

Porsche has nothing against Android users; it’s purely a business decision. How do you change that? By making the availability of Android compatibility part of your decision to purchase a Porsche.

There is hope on the horizon. With the trade war between the US and China’s Huawei phone manufacturer, it’s estimated that up to 40% of Apple users in china will switch to either Android or Huawei operating system.

If that happens then Porsche will probably reassess their China decision and that might filter to the US.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please stop it with the iPhone versus Android silly arguments. I own an iPhone and I am pretty sure, based on my career, that I know how to operate an Android device. It’s a personal choice (for me security) and has nothing to do with how smart you are or your age bracket.
Done a little research to try and shed some light on why Android is currently not offered by Porsche.

On November 19, 2019 Porsche CEO Klaus Zellmer, speaking at an Automobility Conference in LA said the following about two of its largest Porsche markets.

Quote. We will offer Android solutions. Why aren’t we doing that right now? Let’s take a look at the United States. 91% of Porsche customers have an Apple device. So, this is how you most efficiently invest your money. But if you take China for example, of our current customers in China, 80% of them have an Apple device, which is also staggering. Unquote

Don’t think that Porsche is also not aware that the latest stats indicate that the U.S. Median income for iphone users in 2019 is $85K. Per year. For Android users $61K. Per year. During that same period iphone usage in the US was 45.2 percent.

Porsche has nothing against Android users; it’s purely a business decision. How do you change that? By making the availability of Android compatibility part of your decision to purchase a Porsche.

There is hope on the horizon. With the trade war between the US and China’s Huawei phone manufacturer, it’s estimated that up to 40% of Apple users in china will switch to either Android or Huawei operating system.

If that happens then Porsche will probably reassess their China decision and that might filter to the US.
I think you are the one with her panties in a bunch. ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
This perspective of "only X % of the market" should be irrelevant when considering that this is Porsche we're talking about. They will let me spend thousands if I want.. on various options like 14 different colors for deviated stitching. I can pay 2k to have my freaking vent slats painted if I want. Or I can pay over 10k to have my car painted any color I want.....

Deviated Stitching:
  • Mamba Green Sure
  • Mahogany Sure
  • Acid Green Sure
  • Black Sure
  • Pebble Grey Sure
  • Agate Grey Sure
  • Guards Red Sure
  • Steel Grey Sure
  • Espresso Sure
  • Garnet Red Sure
  • Mojave Beige Sure
  • Titanium Blue Sure
  • Garnet Red stitching with Pebble Grey Seat Centers Sure
  • Pebble Grey stitching with Garnet Red Seat Centers Sure
Key Painted: Sure

Vent Slats Painted: Sure

Android Auto? GTFO!

·
Registered
97 Posts
This perspective of "only X % of the market" should be irrelevant when considering that this is Porsche we're talking about. They will let me spend thousands if I want.. on various options like 14 different colors for deviated stitching. I can pay 2k to have my freaking vent slats painted if I want. Or I can pay over 10k to have my car painted any color I want.....

Deviated Stitching:
  • Mamba Green Sure
  • Mahogany Sure
  • Acid Green Sure
  • Black Sure
  • Pebble Grey Sure
  • Agate Grey Sure
  • Guards Red Sure
  • Steel Grey Sure
  • Espresso Sure
  • Garnet Red Sure
  • Mojave Beige Sure
  • Titanium Blue Sure
  • Garnet Red stitching with Pebble Grey Seat Centers Sure
  • Pebble Grey stitching with Garnet Red Seat Centers Sure
Key Painted: Sure

Vent Slats Painted: Sure

Android Auto? GTFO!
I use an iPhone and I agree with you. You can purchase any number of mid level cars with both Apple and Android capabilities at no additional cost. Or try to rip the customers off the way BMW did a few years ago by requiring a yearly subscription cost for Apple CarPlay.
Porsche saying their money can be spent more effectively somewhere else is absolute BS.
If that was the only issue, offer Android capability and charge more for it based on fewer people wanting it. For Porsche that would be a win win.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The unit is definitely capable. Tech with Porsche can be frustrating... considering a Jetta has more capability.

would be great to know that code...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your thread link seems to resolve to the North East forums

·
Registered
80 Posts
I thought the reason initially was due to the amount of data that Google wanted about the vehicle when in use including information that pertained to the engine. I know I read that for sure I just don't know if it was fake news. I also thought Porsche finally caved last year and decided to make it a soon to be option but I am not sure if that was ever confirmed either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Checking your signature only provides a link to the northeast if this is PCM 4 and a 95B and there is no additional hardware involved I am interested can you please provide a direct link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts