Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently took delivery of my 2019 Macan. I've been struggling the past couple days to get the hotspot working. Initially I assumed that I needed a sim since there is a slot in the center console for it. My dealer did not provide a sim, so I went to ATT to get one and have an account set up. They had a hard time getting an account set up, and didn't seem clear on what to do. Eventually they called one of their internal folks and decided that I just needed to go to att.com/porsche to register for a data plan that would use the embedded sim. I went to the site, registered and activated my plan via the email, but the in car hotspot says "no internet available" every time I try it. While going through all this I spoke with someone at the ATL dealership who said it indeed uses the embedded sim, and he wasn't sure why there was a sim slot in the console, while proposing maybe it was a European thing.

Have any 2019 Macan owners had any success with the Hotspot....? Or does anyone else have familiarity with this? I'm not sure if it would be the same as the 2018 as the PCM is different.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
You have to turn it on at two different places in the PCM settings. If you click the data icon in the upper right corner of the PCM it will open device manager. From there, click the drop down options menu in the top middle if the screen. There are WiFi settings and others that need to be turned on. There may also be “phone” setting that need to be turned on for the embedded sim to be activated - I’m not sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same issue and was told to 'remove' the SIM card as my 2018 GTS had everything built-in. Works as advertised after removal of the card and manually entering the number from ATT and then doing the setup..

·
Registered
119 Posts
PEC LA had difficulty with this whole process too. They claimed not many people even want this so they rarely set it up. I wanted it so I could use Apple CarPlay over WiFi. I had the same issue the OP had, the embedded SIM kept showing no internet available. So instead, the delivery rep installed a new AT&T SIM and activated it from their website. It only has 3GB/90day trial so I had to add it to my existing AT&T account for uninterrupted service. Everything works fine now.

Does anyone know if the embedded SIM provides unlimited free internet or is it the same 3GB/90day trial? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche provided free internet so it could access the proximity traffic service. Not sure, but sadly the PEC LA reps didn’t know what I was talking about.

Casper

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked the various seemingly relevant options to no avail. The PCM clearly has internet access... it's showing traffic data and actually downloaded a sizeable update for google maps today. I've set the pw for my hotspot... which connects...as does the connect and connect+ app on my phone. Still, "no internet connection" when connected to the hotspot.

ATT and Porsche claim that a sim is not needed, but I'm thinking that's not reality per Casper's experience... or there is a disconnect in the provisioning process when setting up the account on ATT's website.

I'm surprised that Porsche does not have a quick setup guide or F.A.Q. showing how to get the hotspot set up. I'll be reaching out to Porsche and my SA tomorrow in hopes of getting this resolved.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've checked the various seemingly relevant options to no avail. The PCM clearly has internet access... it's showing traffic data and actually downloaded a sizeable update for google maps today. I've set the pw for my hotspot... which connects...as does the connect and connect+ app on my phone. Still, "no internet connection" when connected to the hotspot.

ATT and Porsche claim that a sim is not needed, but I'm thinking that's not reality per Casper's experience... or there is a disconnect in the provisioning process when setting up the account on ATT's website.

I'm surprised that Porsche does not have a quick setup guide or F.A.Q. showing how to get the hotspot set up. I'll be reaching out to Porsche and my SA tomorrow in hopes of getting this resolved.
Let us know what you find out, I’m very curious why no one else has been complaining about this issue. Your post is the first I’ve read about, and loads of folks have collected their 2019 Macans so far.

Separately, my Apple CarPlay still doesn’t connect over WiFi even after getting the hotspot working correctly. So I’m very curious to see what others have experienced.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you see this setting “Share data connection : Enable data connection for WiFi devices”. I forget which option menu it is in, but it defaults to off (and sometimes turns itself off for seemingly no reason).

·
Registered
68 Posts
PEC

Does anyone know if the embedded SIM provides unlimited free internet or is it the same 3GB/90day trial? I thought I read somewhere that Porsche provided free internet so it could access the proximity traffic service. Not sure, but sadly the PEC LA reps didn’t know what I was talking about.
Same trial with whatever SIM you use, embedded or otherwise.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Let us know what you find out, I’m very curious why no one else has been complaining about this issue. Your post is the first I’ve read about, and loads of folks have collected their 2019 Macans so far.

Separately, my Apple CarPlay still doesn’t connect over WiFi even after getting the hotspot working correctly. So I’m very curious to see what others have experienced.
Do you have Settings-Personal Hotspot activated in your phone?
It could be blocked by your cellular provider.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have Settings-Personal Hotspot activated in your phone?
It could be blocked by your cellular provider.
Yeah, I tried using my phones hotspot after taking out my SIM. Still doesn’t activate Apple CarPlay. Hopefully Porsche comes out with a software update so it works more like the new Audi MMI that easily connects to CarPlay via the cars WiFi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Played around with this a bunch today. Here’s what I think I found out.

I took out the SIM they gave me at PEC LA. I was able to connect to all Porsche Connect services via the embedded SIM. The only thing that doesn’t work is the cars WiFi hotspot. According to Porsche’s literature, that requires an external SIM with a 3GB/90day trial. After the trial you just activate a separate contract or add it to your existing AT&T account (if you have one).

With the external SIM removed, and the embedded SIM turned off, the only other option to get data is to use your phones WiFi hotspot and have the car connect to that. The PCM displays a WiFi logo in place of the LTE logo.

When the car is using both the embedded SIM or an external SIM, the PCM displays an LTE logo and bars. The embedded SIM provides unlimited data for 1 year for free. After the 1 year, it costs $205 per year. Porsche includes unlimited data because it’s only the cars internal functions and not a WiFi hotspot. Makes sense I suppose.

So really, the only purpose to have the WiFi hotspot is to allow other users in your car to have internet. If this is not necessary, just use the embedded SIM for free unlimited internet for the first year.

As far as Apple CarPlay is concerned, I have had ZERO luck with that, and it still doesn’t connect. Either using the embedded SIM or the external SIM. Hope more details are released soon about how to make this work seamlessly for everyone.

Casper

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only thing that doesn’t work is the cars WiFi hotspot. According to Porsche’s literature, that requires an external SIM with a 3GB/90day trial. After the trial you just activate a separate contract or add it to your existing AT&T account (if you have one).
This is not entirely accurate. I use the embedded SIM, and I use the car’s hotspot. If you think this has value, it’s up to you. I prefer this to using my phone’s data for a variety of reasons, but I know it isn’t for everyone. In either case, it DOES work with embedded SIM.

·
Registered
436 Posts
HTML:
Yeah, I tried using my phones hotspot after taking out my SIM. Still doesn’t activate Apple CarPlay. Hopefully Porsche comes out with a software update so it works more like the new Audi MMI that easily connects to CarPlay via the cars WiFi.
You don't need to use your phone's Wireless Hotspot to connect to Car Play - AFAIK, Carplay on the phone talks to the car over Bluetooth and exchange phone's hotspot info.
When my phone is connected to the car with CarPlay - it doesn't shoe Wi-Fi sign in the top left corner.
Did you try to foget the car on the phone and start over without any SIM in the car?
You might need to use USB cable again to initialise CarPlay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is not entirely accurate. I use the embedded SIM, and I use the car’s hotspot. If you think this has value, it’s up to you. I prefer this to using my phone’s data for a variety of reasons, but I know it isn’t for everyone. In either case, it DOES work with embedded SIM.
Interesting...wish I could get this to work for me. So you don’t have any data plan except the one on the embedded SIM? Crazy this whole process is not well documented with Porsche literature.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Played around with this a bunch today. Here’s what I think I found out.

I took out the SIM they gave me at PEC LA. I was able to connect to all Porsche Connect services via the embedded SIM. The only thing that doesn’t work is the cars WiFi hotspot. According to Porsche’s literature, that requires an external SIM with a 3GB/90day trial. After the trial you just activate a separate contract or add it to your existing AT&T account (if you have one).

With the external SIM removed, and the embedded SIM turned off, the only other option to get data is to use your phones WiFi hotspot and have the car connect to that. The PCM displays a WiFi logo in place of the LTE logo.

When the car is using both the embedded SIM or an external SIM, the PCM displays an LTE logo and bars. The embedded SIM provides unlimited data for 1 year for free. After the 1 year, it costs $205 per year. Porsche includes unlimited data because it’s only the cars internal functions and not a WiFi hotspot. Makes sense I suppose.

So really, the only purpose to have the WiFi hotspot is to allow other users in your car to have internet. If this is not necessary, just use the embedded SIM for free unlimited internet for the first year.

As far as Apple CarPlay is concerned, I have had ZERO luck with that, and it still doesn’t connect. Either using the embedded SIM or the external SIM. Hope more details are released soon about how to make this work seamlessly for everyone.

Casper
I am having issues with Carplay - the thing has a mind of it's own. I have an iPhone 7. I don't use the cable to connect - prefer wireless.
I have noticed that when my phone is connected to the PCM via bluetooth then the carplay works fine. However, sometimes - my phone connects to the vehicles WiFi - it does it automatically and when this happens (bluetooth is not connected) the data on my phone stops working.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting...wish I could get this to work for me. So you don’t have any data plan except the one on the embedded SIM? Crazy this whole process is not well documented with Porsche literature.
I am using the trial 3/90 data plan, but it is with the embedded SIM. It will run out soon, but I’ll be able to create my own plan - still with the SIM. I believe the data for google maps and other car-related purposes is included with the Connect service and is not part of this plan.

I just don’t recall what the setup process was. I think my VIN was all I needed when I set this up with AT&T.

There is an issue with some of the “share data connection” settings turning themselves off. So it is possible that happened to you. I can post photos of my PCM settings later if that will help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made *some progress yesterday. ATT sent a hit or re-provisioned the service while I had them on the phone with Porsche. I found that after doing so.. my backup (work) android cell phone worked with the hotspot. I was skeptical that it was actually working.... so I put the phone in airplane mode and turned on wifi just to be sure. It indeed worked, with the embedded PCM sim. Unfortunately it still wasn't working with my personal android phone, the wifi would connect but say "internet unavailable" as it has been doing since day one.

I restarted my phone... again... and this time it worked. Though later in the day it either stopped working or at least became so slow that a speedtest would not complete on the phone. I haven't had an opportunity to test in more detail... but it occurred to me that after my phone restart, I did not log in to the Connect app on my phone. Later on I did, so I'd like to test whether or not connecting the phone via wifi with the Connect App could somehow be limiting internet access via Wifi, almost like a vpn... just a theory.

To those that are having trouble with Apple Carplay, I wonder if it's worth trying to disconnect/sign out of the Connect app, just to see if it impacts anything.

In any case... I'm confident that the hotspot *can work with the embedded sim after registering with att.com/porsche and entering your VIN... though at this point... I can't attest to how well it works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2017, will CarPlay work wirelessly if I enable my iPhone personal hotspot and connect the PCM to it? No sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was able to connect the PCM to my iphone's hotspot but Car play did not work....
I'm not sure if that connection does anything different than a bluetooth connwction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts