Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
mdubya, great photos of a great-looking Macan! Keep them coming! I'll chip in a few in the next few days here of my own 2019 base Macan, when I get a chance to pull my photos together.

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
mdubya, great photos of a great-looking Macan! Keep them coming! I'll chip in a few in the next few days here of my own 2019 base Macan, when I get a chance to pull my photos together.

Thank you. Will keep them coming. (y)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here's a photo of my 2019 Macan prior to taking possession of it at the dealership, June 2019. I had the chrome PORSCHE letters on the back changed to black letters, and added mudflaps.

This photo shows the gold-colored windshield that is due to the embedding of the optional new heated windshield by silver elements (you can't see any wires):

new car, only 15 miles on the odometer:

Now with black rear lettering and mud flaps installed:

And EZPass transponder installed on license plate because silver-coated windshield blocks EZPass signals:

parked next to a Cayenne S E-Hybrid (a rare beast):

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Here's a photo of my 2019 Macan prior to taking possession of it at the dealership, June 2019. I had the chrome PORSCHE letters on the back changed to black letters, and added mudflaps.
View attachment 236872

This photo shows the gold-colored windshield that is due to the embedding of the optional new heated windshield by silver elements (you can't see any wires):
View attachment 236873
new car, only 15 miles on the odometer:
View attachment 236874

Now with black rear lettering and mud flaps installed:
View attachment 236875

And EZPass transponder installed on license plate because silver-coated windshield blocks EZPass signals:
View attachment 236876

parked next to a Cayenne S E-Hybrid (a rare beast):
View attachment 236877

Great looking Macan and looks very familiar!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I dropped the Macan off for service at the dealer last Monday for the 20k mile oil change and the full (very expensive) 20k service routine. o_O

I chose to go through the dealer and spend the $$$$$ due to discovering a problem with the way right front headlight LED PDLS was operating and due to a speaker distortion/rattle which has been persistent since purchase in June.

I also knew the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires were almost thoroughly smoked. I wanted to try to rotate them left to right to try to get a few thousand more miles out of them before buying new tires. Of course, the service writer and mechanic recommended replacing all 4 tires. To my surprise, they offered a competitive price, so I went for it.

What I didn't like: they claimed no knowledge of Michelin's mileage warranty and offered no help in getting the new tires prorated for me. And they initially quoted $849!!! for an alignment! When questioned, they came back with $499. :oops: That is exactly 4 times what they charge at the local Mr. Tire, who would probably also prorate the price of the Michelins with no fuss, too. I told them I would get the alignment done elsewhere, on principal alone.

I am still not sure what the malfunction is on the LED/PDLS headlight. I have always been disappointed in the nighttime low beam performance. The running daytime lights always work perfectly and I never had any indication that the right headlight was not otherwise functioning properly. But with the DST time change at the beginning of November, I noticed the r.h. headlight appeared to be out completely when pulling up behind other vehicles in evening traffic. That explained my poor low beam performance. To their credit, Porsche of Silver Spring diagnosed that and the speaker rattle as warranty items, no hassles. Just waiting for the parts to arrive now.

That brings me to the Audi A4 S loaner car they gave me. I was disappointed to not get a Macan or other Porsche as a loaner. The A4 underwhelmed me, thoroughly, at first. It is nice enough, but maybe I am spoiled after six months in my Premium Plus Macan interior? The Macan combines and sleek and modern design while incorporating classic (boring? no, mature) styling in a fairly seamless fashion. The A4 is a bit like a teenager's Playstation, VW, Honda Civic, combined with staid, conservative (old fashioned?) German design. It is not terrible, but it is not great, either. I expect it to make annoying chirps and bleeps and sound notifications like a teenage girl's iPhone. Thankfully, it does not do that.

The A4 2.0T motor is great, and in automatic, is a better driving experience than the Macan in default standard mode. The Macan would be improved if the standard mode was more like the Audi. Aside from being able to go into manual shift mode, that is it with the Audi. It goes well enough, but I have found myself reaching for the nonexistent paddles and searching the center console for the Sport mode button.

The Audi all wheel drive is excellent and the handling is very good, too. I drove it at night on the highway in heavy rain, and I had no trouble at all zooming along at 75 mph, stable, planted, with full confidence and comfort. It is safe and steady where the Macan in Sport mode encourages charging into corners and turning in sharply and getting on the gas hard to rotate the car. The Macan delivers on that encouragement, too. Driving the Macan in Sport is like having a little devil on each shoulder. The Audi is OK, but a bit more, "Cheerio! Steady on! Pip, pip!"

The Audi steers fine, but it makes me miss the lightning fast (comparatively) Macan steering.

The Audi is winning me over, but it was anything but exciting to get behind the wheel, initially.

I guess it is a good thing that I miss my Macan while I wait for headlight assembly to arrive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
High Rock overlook, Pen Mar, MD at the Pennsylvania line, looking north to Waynesboro.

Macan parked up at the Appalachian Trail.

Because you tell this the US.. it is exactly - like carbon copy - of my surroundings in Luxembourg, Europe, where I live

Nice pictures ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Because you tell this the US.. it is exactly - like carbon copy - of my surroundings in Luxembourg, Europe, where I live

Nice pictures ;)
Thank you. It is indeed a small world. One can find beauty anywhere, just about.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
I dropped the Macan off for service at the dealer last Monday for the 20k mile oil change and the full (very expensive) 20k service routine. o_O

I chose to go through the dealer and spend the $$$$$ due to discovering a problem with the way right front headlight LED PDLS was operating and due to a speaker distortion/rattle which has been persistent since purchase in June.

I also knew the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires were almost thoroughly smoked. I wanted to try to rotate them left to right to try to get a few thousand more miles out of them before buying new tires. Of course, the service writer and mechanic recommended replacing all 4 tires. To my surprise, they offered a competitive price, so I went for it.

What I didn't like: they claimed no knowledge of Michelin's mileage warranty and offered no help in getting the new tires prorated for me. And they initially quoted $849!!! for an alignment! When questioned, they came back with $499. :oops: That is exactly 4 times what they charge at the local Mr. Tire, who would probably also prorate the price of the Michelins with no fuss, too. I told them I would get the alignment done elsewhere, on principal alone.

I am still not sure what the malfunction is on the LED/PDLS headlight. I have always been disappointed in the nighttime low beam performance. The running daytime lights always work perfectly and I never had any indication that the right headlight was not otherwise functioning properly. But with the DST time change at the beginning of November, I noticed the r.h. headlight appeared to be out completely when pulling up behind other vehicles in evening traffic. That explained my poor low beam performance. To their credit, Porsche of Silver Spring diagnosed that and the speaker rattle as warranty items, no hassles. Just waiting for the parts to arrive now.

That brings me to the Audi A4 S loaner car they gave me. I was disappointed to not get a Macan or other Porsche as a loaner. The A4 underwhelmed me, thoroughly, at first. It is nice enough, but maybe I am spoiled after six months in my Premium Plus Macan interior? The Macan combines and sleek and modern design while incorporating classic (boring? no, mature) styling in a fairly seamless fashion. The A4 is a bit like a teenager's Playstation, VW, Honda Civic, combined with staid, conservative (old fashioned?) German design. It is not terrible, but it is not great, either. I expect it to make annoying chirps and bleeps and sound notifications like a teenage girl's iPhone. Thankfully, it does not do that.

The A4 2.0T motor is great, and in automatic, is a better driving experience than the Macan in default standard mode. The Macan would be improved if the standard mode was more like the Audi. Aside from being able to go into manual shift mode, that is it with the Audi. It goes well enough, but I have found myself reaching for the nonexistent paddles and searching the center console for the Sport mode button.

The Audi all wheel drive is excellent and the handling is very good, too. I drove it at night on the highway in heavy rain, and I had no trouble at all zooming along at 75 mph, stable, planted, with full confidence and comfort. It is safe and steady where the Macan in Sport mode encourages charging into corners and turning in sharply and getting on the gas hard to rotate the car. The Macan delivers on that encouragement, too. Driving the Macan in Sport is like having a little devil on each shoulder. The Audi is OK, but a bit more, "Cheerio! Steady on! Pip, pip!"

The Audi steers fine, but it makes me miss the lightning fast (comparatively) Macan steering.

The Audi is winning me over, but it was anything but exciting to get behind the wheel, initially.

I guess it is a good thing that I miss my Macan while I wait for headlight assembly to arrive.
Audi S4/5 should be more fun.

Reactions: mdubya

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Audi S4/5 should be more fun.
It is an A4 S line. Not an S4.

The A4 has a lot of similar qualities to the Macan. But the Macan in Sport mode (A4 doesn't have it) with the PDK and paddle shifters is more entertaining, where as the A4 is just effective.

I thought the "fun factor" the Porsche seems to build in was kind of novel at first, but now I love it. Crave it, even.

The Macan seems to be more free revving, where as the A4 feels more torquey and has better low rpm throttle response.

If the A4 had the Macan's Sport mode and paddle shifters.... :unsure:

Still, the Macan is exactly what I wanted; the best handling crossover SUV (short of a GTS) I could buy. It is more sporty handling than I ever dreamed it would be. Sure it has limitations (sporting wise), but it approaches those limitations in a very reassuring way.

The A4, in the configuration I am driving, cannot be driven as aggressively or in as spirited a manner as my Macan. I have been using manual mode on the A4, but even that requires taking a hand off the steering wheel to shift.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I got the Macan back on Tuesday evening. Four tires, Bose speaker replaced, new r.h. LED PDLS headlight unit installed, full service performed ($$$$$!!!).

Some of the service charges are outrageous, but 8 days with a loaner car is hard to quantify in terms of convenience and value.

The main thing is that everything is up to spec now and I am good to go for a while.

Driving the Audi A4 with no sport mode available made it interesting getting back in the Macan. Did I just get used to the Audi? Because the standard drive mode seems much more livable in the Macan now. And clicking into sport mode was initially, "Whoa!"

I got out for a spirited run last evening and got reacclimated. It took a minute to get used to the lifted stance of the Macan. And it does have a bit more pitch and body roll compared to the A4 S which is slammed to the ground and has much lower profile tires, but with a few mental adjustments, those traits have been compensated for. The Macan steers much more quickly and likes to be knifed into curves aggressively. The new tires were broken in quickly and have more initial grip than the used set they replaced.

I love being back in my car. I do hope that is the end of it for warranty issues because this is a **** of a nice car and such a pleasant place to spend time behind the wheel.

I sure do enjoy looking out the window and seeing it parked in the driveway. And, unlike the Audi, every time I look at it, I cannot wait for an excuse to get in and go for a ride.

It is supposed to be a really nice couple of days, today and this weekend. Can't wait to get out and enjoys some curves.

Now, if only they made an all wheel drive Cayman! Maybe the Cayman doesn't need it with its mid-engine placement? :unsure:

I have to remember that the Macan was bought to be a practical daily driver with some sporting capability. Practicality would go out the window with a Cayman.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Cold and blue, Catoctin Mountain Park.

This guy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Started the evening's non-commute at 40 degrees F and was down to 31 F by the time I got back home. The Latitude Tour HPs really like the colder temps, sticking like glue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Only a week after popping for a new set of all season tires, the decision seems to have been a smart one.

I got out for a short drive in mixed conditions last evening and the Latitudes and the Macan were surefooted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I took a snowy drive last weekend, got the car filthy, washed it and parked it. I needed to get out last night, though, and had a wet but mild run through the countryside. Man, the Macan was just on rails on the damp to wet roads. It is filthy again, but I was impressed with the wet weather performance and composure.

Photos from last weekend.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The days are getting longer. A cool and clear run down to the reservoir. Next to no traffic was a nice surprise.

New camera, by the way. Note 20.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Late afternoon winter sun in Catoctin Mountain Park, today.

Loys Station Covered Bridge, outside of Thurmont, MD.

From inside the bridge.

Hank the Donkey. Picnic Woods Farm.

It is silly how much fun this little awd Station Wagon/SUV/CUV is to drive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Another angle on the Mac.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts