Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

Registered
It is my initials. M.W.

I was on an email list with several Mikes. So we signed our posts as Mike W., Mike G., Mike F., etc. When George W. Bush arrived on the national political scene and people started referring to him as "Dubya" I adopted the m dubya moniker as tongue in cheek. It stuck and has been causing confusion ever since. 馃榿

I had many nicknames as a youth and as a young man, so, m dub, or dubby, dubya seemed like a good and natural progression into a more grown up, yet still informal, nickname.
That's what I was thinking. Well, I'm a Mike W too.

Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
Discussion Starter #42
I got out for an evening run for the first time this week, last evening (rain and family commitments). There was a KIA sedan of some type (I am not familiar with KIAs) entering one of the more scenic parts of my run, just ahead of me. I noticed because he was driving purposefully and taking wide corner entries (most drivers are cutting the corners - which is super annoying and obnoxious to oncoming traffic).

He was giving it some on the straight sections, so I settled in to a flowing pace and going easy between the corners to keep a nice sized gap, but pacing him nonetheless. He was predictably slowing right down for the corners, even with his good lines and wide entries.

I took the opportunity to execute my aggressive corner entry style combined with getting on the gas hard and in the power at the apex to pull off some good mid corner drifts while he played rabbit. I always giggle like a school girl when driving like this and giggled even harder seeing his wide eyes peering in his side mirror as I howled tires through the apexes and visibly hung the rear out to dry.

He knew my entire route up to the point where I turn for home.

Cheap thrills, but more than worth the price of admission. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
This looks so much better through my polarized lenses! I think we are just about at peak foliage. Multiple tropical storm remnants have knocked much of the early colors out of the trees before they were ready to come down. Will try to capture a bit more this w/e before the color is gone. We've had gorgeous weather lately, perfect for having the panoramic roof open without direct overhead sun beating me up.

My soundtrack on the drive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Fall scenes.

Gotta be Burkittsville. :D

Macan in the reflection. MG in the garage.

Registered
Nice pix! You may want to see the 1995 film: "Bridges of Madison County."

Reactions: mdubya

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Still loving your photography, mdubya.
cheers,
Peter
Thank you, Peter. I am glad you are enjoying it!

Nice pix! You may want to see the 1995 film: "Bridges of Madison County."
Maybe so. I remember the movie, but never saw it. I lived on the edges of Appalachia for 15 years and explored deep into the wilderness of West Virginia accessing remote locations via my dual sport dirt bikes, places most natives never even visited. I saw and photographed some incredible beauty over the years. Saw bears and coyotes and incredible birds of prey and red squirrels, waterfalls, you name it.

The Macan is reigniting my urge for adventure. I have too many family and work commitments to allow much more than my weekend daytrips for now. And that is fine. I am happy to be tied down by both! (y) The Macan is a nice brief escape from those responsibilities, though.

Registered
In that film, the main character, Clint Eastwood, was a photojournalist for National Geographic who arrives in Madison County to photograph its historic covered bridges. Also directed by Eastwood.

Reactions: mdubya

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Here it is only November 1st and it is looking cold and wintery already. Indian summer next weekend. It was sunroof open and heat on for me all weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
I need to expand my horizons a bit, but the ever changing seasons keep the back drop fresh.

We are well beyond peak fall colors. Most leaves are down.

Burkittsville landscape.

This dude again.

It was a glorious Indian Summer weekend. Temps well into the 70's (F). The Macan loves these temps; roof open, PDK zipping through gears, Michelins howling with delight.

I'd love to get a Go Pro and share some onboard footage, but that is a level of commitment I am not quite ready to make.

I need to find an open lot where I can practice with TC turned off. :devilish:

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
She was nice an clean when we started out this morning. A little bit dusty by this afternoon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
Took a run in 42 degree (F) weather this evening, cool and dry. I was surprised that the Michelin Latitude Tour tires had better grip in the cold than in warm weather. Corners where they have been howling and drifting, they just plain hooked up and railed tonight. What an interesting development. :unsure:

I mean, I still managed to drift them through a few corners, but nothing like usual. :devilish:

Registered
Took a run in 42 degree (F) weather this evening, cool and dry. I was surprised that the Michelin Latitude Tour tires had better grip in the cold than in warm weather. Corners where they have been howling and drifting, they just plain hooked up and railed tonight. What an interesting development. :unsure:

I mean, I still managed to drift them through a few corners, but nothing like usual. :devilish:
Good to know, thanks! Have the same all-seasons on our GTS, and will be looking for a similar experience until the roads turn icy and/or slippery.

Registered
Where you live please get dedicated snow tires (plus wheels). I am an ex Duluth citizen.
I grew up in Duluth, before I was old enough to drive, so I know exactly what you are talking about. But that's been many years, and here in the Twin Cities the winters are not nearly as harsh, and the streets here are not nearly as steep as downtown Duluth. And most importantly I'm long since retired, and have another all wheel drive vehicle (Audi Q7) that's equipped with winter tires, that I can take if I absolutely have to be someplace no matter how bad the road conditions might be. And with Covid, especially with both the wife and I now being retired, those "must be there" situations are far fewer than what they used to be. So, for at least the time being, I've decided to wait until those "must be there no matter what" situations change...

Registered
I grew up in Duluth, before I was old enough to drive, so I know exactly what you are talking about. But that's been many years, and here in the Twin Cities the winters are not nearly as harsh, and the streets here are not nearly as steep as downtown Duluth. And most importantly I'm long since retired, and have another all wheel drive vehicle (Audi Q7) that's equipped with winter tires, that I can take if I absolutely have to be someplace no matter how bad the road conditions might be. And with Covid, especially with both the wife and I now being retired, those "must be there" situations are far fewer than what they used to be. So, for at least the time being, I've decided to wait until those "must be there no matter what" situations change...

Registered
So depending on how old you are we probably raced each other heading out London Road. I was the guy on the BSA Spitfire only on the rear wheel. What time was your departure?
Family moved in the summer of 1965, just before I was old enough to drive. A few years before, during a particularly heavy snowfall winter, I remember the local authorities encouraging car owners to stick a tennis ball into the top of their radio antennas to make everyone more visible when approaching intersections. Needless to say, none of the even the fanciest Porsche models could offer that kind of crash protection today! ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
As cold and desolate as this photo looks, it was a nice balmy 65 degrees (F). Roof open, heated seat on its lowest setting. Latitude tires back to howling and squealing everywhere. I'll give it a go in low 50's temps again today.

Every week.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts