Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Hi, just wondering if this is normal to go through brakes on this car it seems like every 10,000 miles for me? I got the car used from Gaudin Porsche here in Las Vegas with 5,500 miles on it. At 11K it needed front and back brakes...then it needed front brakes again around 18K and now at almost 30K it needs front and back again. Also, I get heavy brake dust like everyone else on here too...

I go into the dealer next week for 30K service and they said they would check the brakes again. I know I had 1 brake pad recall awhile ago and Porsche did take care of it on their dime not mine... I just cannot for the life of me see why I'm going through brakes like this????

Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too..... I had a 2017 Audi Q5 before my Macan and did the brakes once at 30K and that was it. It seems on this car it's getting to be a once a year brake pad install.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. Thanks!
Just depends on your driving style and tire pressure. It's a heavy car and the brakes are small. Maybe you hit lots of red lights. I like Gaudin, bought my Macan there as well and they seem pretty straight up. The stock brakes are designed to meet DOT specifications for safety at a low price with high margin.

I bought a Ford Focus in 2003, and went through brakes every 10K miles, along with a set of front tires. I wondered the same thing as well back then, and fixed the alignment. The alignment was so agressive, that the front tires wore out just going straight. With the brakes, I switched rotor iron and went to Akebno ceramic pads and now my brakes last like 25K miles and work even better.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
UPDATE: Went to a Porsche Mechanic not the dealer and he is telling me that I have at least 50% of my pads left....As for the squeeky noise I will have the dealer look at it and I will confront them as to why I was told I need brakes again. Monday can't come any quicker to get this resolved. Thanks to everyone for their comments on this thread.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The Hold feature is supposed to come on only if/when you press the brake pedal hard enough to engage it - once you're stopped. In my
Macan, the Hold function only engages after I've stopped the vehicle, then (without lifting my foot off the brake pedal) press the pedal even harder -
and Hold lights up in the instrument cluster.

If your Macan's Hold function is coming on every time you stop the vehicle, there's either something weird with the way you're braking
or something's wrong with the Macan - the latter seems likely since you claim you've had 3 brake jobs done with such low mileage.

I've changed my Macan's rear brake pads at 30K miles and still have not done the front pads - now at 44K miles.

Something's definitely amiss in your situation...
Hi, the hold feature comes on most of the time when I park in my garage which the driveway is a slight uphill angle. It does not come on when I'm driving....

· Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
yeah - you're probably giving the brake pedal a little harder nudge when stopping on the incline - maybe used to
driving a stick?

What used to mess me up - I lived in a city with a lot of hills - was when people would creep up the next lane over
while waiting for the light - and I'd press even harder on my brake pedal (this was when I drove sticks) because the
illusion was that my car was somehow (?) rolling backward...

🤣

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
yeah - you're probably giving the brake pedal a little harder nudge when stopping on the incline - maybe used to
driving a stick?

What used to mess me up - I lived in a city with a lot of hills - was when people would creep up the next lane over
while waiting for the light - and I'd press even harder on my brake pedal (this was when I drove sticks) because the
illusion was that my car was somehow (?) rolling backward...

🤣
Nope, haven't driven a stick in over 25 years....

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Hi, Like I said above, I down shift and I am not driving a tank so I only brake using my right foot...I'm the only driver too. I only brake when needed not driving the car with my foot on the brake....
Don't down shift for braking, down shift for boosting rpms. Brakes are for braking. It sounds like you are mashing the go pedal and then doing the same to the brakes.I just replaced rear pads and rotors at 43k. Does the dealer ever provide any measurements? There is a spec for pad and rotor thickness of course if you're lighting the wear sensor then I suppose you're in need of pads or rotors.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Don't down shift for braking, down shift for boosting rpms. Brakes are for braking. It sounds like you are mashing the go pedal and then doing the same to the brakes.I just replaced rear pads and rotors at 43k. Does the dealer ever provide any measurements? There is a spec for pad and rotor thickness of course if you're lighting the wear sensor then I suppose you're in need of pads or rotors.
So glad that you know how I drive. When was the last time you were in my car with me?

· Registered
20 Posts
I also have a '17 Q5 3.0T that is supercharged even thought the T really denotes turbo charged...Lol Got it after new purchase of a '18 base with 13K of extra's. No trubs with braking on either. Brakes I'm guessing have a sensor that brings pads a tad closer to rotars when raining. My 06 VR6 4Motion Passat had them as I'm thinking the Q5 & Macan does. Anyway maybe there is something amiss there. Best of Luck, hope you get it resolved.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
So glad that you know how I drive. When was the last time you were in my car with me?
Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too.
Why are you downshifting? a lot? I down shift to pass not to slow the car. No need to be aggrieved. You didn't respond to my question about pad or rotor measurements which is a quantitative guide for replacing components. Never been in your car and never will be especially if your going through brakes every 10K

· Registered
17 S-->20 S-->22S (silver)
1,854 Posts
I drove my 17 S for 30K miles with no brake issues...and as others have said this is far far from normal. While I don't want to accuse your dealer, this sounds a lot like a profit builder for the dealership....sort of like when my wife brings her car in, there are all kinds of things that need to be repaired/replaced.....but if I bring the car in....everything is fine. It's not just car dealers...it's oil change places, tire places. Also be wary of wheel alignment...ask them to show you on the machine what's wrong with your alignment. I really hate most car dealers....but over the years I've managed to find good honest dealers and I buy multiple cars from them. Fortunately, my local Porsche dealer is one of the excellent ones. BMW, Jaguar, Toyota locally....nah!

· Registered
17 S-->20 S-->22S (silver)
1,854 Posts
Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too.
Why are you downshifting? a lot? I down shift to pass not to slow the car. No need to be aggrieved. You didn't respond to my question about pad or rotor measurements which is a quantitative guide for replacing components. Never been in your car and never will be especially if your going through brakes every 10K
What do you have against downshifting to slow the car when stopping?

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Macan and have had to replace the rear rotors, warped, and the pads at 14,000 miles. The the front failed at 20,000 miles. This is a poor design failure that should be happening on many cars. Class Action Lawsuit!

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Macan and it needed rear brakes and rotors at 14,000 and front brakes and rotors at 20,000. These rotors are a defective design and they are designed to fail. I called Porsche and they told me to F--Off. I think they are selling a defective product and are ripe for a class action lawsuit.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts