Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· Registered
321 Posts
I think at this point I'm going down there tomorrow morning before my Monday appointment and chat with them.... I'm orginally from LA too so I know your traffic especially on the 405! =)
yeah when I first got the Macan 5 years ago, I was doing Playa Vista to West Hollywood as my daily commute, which was easily 1:30 to 1:45 hours to go 9 miles? I didn’t drive the Macan to WeHo often since I had the eGolf. Then I switched jobs to Playa Vista to Santa Monica and that was a better commute, still an hour on bad days. The worst was when I had my S5 with sport diff and I used to work in Century City and the parking lot for employees was down 4 floors in a corkscrew ramp. I went through brakes ever 20-25k (well…I should say I went through 1 set of brakes because I sold that car for the Macan)

· Registered
156 Posts
Hi, the hold feature comes on automatically on my car. Is there a way to not use it? Seems like we have the same issue. I LOVE my car but this is insane. I will trade it in next year anyways to get a new one but for the time being I do not want to spend a lot of money changing the entire braking system out....
The Auto Hold feature is engaged when you press the brake down far enough. For me, you don’t have to press it hard, but you do have to apply slightly more pressure/push it down further than you would if braking normally. I used to use this feature at every stop light. Now I am trying not to use it to see if that makes a difference.

For me, I’ve had my car for 4 years. The long term maintenance costs might be my reason for ultimately getting rid of it. Maybe it won’t, but who knows.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
The Auto Hold feature is engaged when you press the brake down far enough. For me, you don’t have to press it hard, but you do have to apply slightly more pressure/push it down further than you would if braking normally. I used to use this feature at every stop light. Now I am trying not to use it to see if that makes a difference.

For me, I’ve had my car for 4 years. The long term maintenance costs might be my reason for ultimately getting rid of it. Maybe it won’t, but who knows.
I fail to understand how using the 'hold' feature wears out the pads? The 'hold' engages when the car is stopped.

· Registered
460 Posts
I'm at 36k miles on my 2019 base Macan, and still original brakes with no problems -- and at 30k-mile maintenance, the dealership told me that they're good for a while longer... But I usually look far ahead when driving to see slow-downs or stop signs or lights turning red and let off the accelerator early, so as to minimize the brake usage; the engine is really good at down-shifting by itself and slowing the vehicle in such cases. (And I use the "Hold" feature all the time in city driving at stop lights -- fabulous feature, better than in other brands' cars I've driven.)

· Super Moderator
4,468 Posts
Hi, the hold feature comes on automatically on my car. Is there a way to not use it? Seems like we have the same issue. I LOVE my car but this is insane. I will trade it in next year anyways to get a new one but for the time being I do not want to spend a lot of money changing the entire braking system out....
The Hold feature is supposed to come on only if/when you press the brake pedal hard enough to engage it - once you're stopped. In my
Macan, the Hold function only engages after I've stopped the vehicle, then (without lifting my foot off the brake pedal) press the pedal even harder -
and Hold lights up in the instrument cluster.

If your Macan's Hold function is coming on every time you stop the vehicle, there's either something weird with the way you're braking
or something's wrong with the Macan - the latter seems likely since you claim you've had 3 brake jobs done with such low mileage.

I've changed my Macan's rear brake pads at 30K miles and still have not done the front pads - now at 44K miles.

Something's definitely amiss in your situation...

· Registered
453 Posts
The Hold feature is supposed to come on only if/when you press the brake pedal hard enough to engage it - once you're stopped. In my
Macan, the Hold function only engages after I've stopped the vehicle, then (without lifting my foot off the brake pedal) press the pedal even harder -
and Hold lights up in the instrument cluster.

If your Macan's Hold function is coming on every time you stop the vehicle, there's either something weird with the way you're braking
or something's wrong with the Macan - the latter seems likely since you claim you've had 3 brake jobs done with such low mileage.

I've changed my Macan's rear brake pads at 30K miles and still have not done the front pads - now at 44K miles.

Something's definitely amiss in your situation...
My impression is that my Hold function only comes on when the car is stopped at an angle, on a hill. Am I wrong about that? I don’t recall it ever coming on when I am stopped level.

· Registered
156 Posts
I fail to understand how using the 'hold' feature wears out the pads? The 'hold' engages when the car is stopped.
The focus for me is the way I engage the hold feature and less about the hold feature itself. When I used to brake I press down harder at the end to engage the hood feature upon stop, rather than stop and then engage. This braking style to engage the hold feature might be a reason for my premature brake wear. I stop more suddenly perhaps or apply additional pressure to stop that is not needed… So, I’ve stopped using it/only engage after the car has stopped to see if that makes a difference. At the end of the day, I feel my issue is more to do with my driving style, so I’m trying some new techniques to see what works.

· Registered
179 Posts
No, that is not normal. Has the brake wear indicator light ever come on during your ownership? Personally, I would not change brake pads based on wear without that light coming on. At my 30K service the dealer called saying all four brakes and rotors needed changing. I pushed back and said the light hasn’t come on. He said it was a few hundred miles away from coming on. I declined their suggestion, drove another 12K and then the brake light sensor came on and I had them changed. I don’t go to that dealer anymore.
Great info. I did not even know there was a brake wear sensor and light. What a shady dealership.

· Registered
4,479 Posts
I only replaced breaks on my Macan after 40k miles. There were no warning lights but my SA advised me to replace before it got to the point of warning. I drive my Macan probably 60% in the city but use downshift a lot instead of using breaks when possible.

Reactions: VegasMacan

· Registered
20 Posts
I feel like the brakes don’t really last on my 2017 Base. I think at less than 10k miles I had the front rotors changed on Porsche’s dime because they were warped. Then somewhere around 20k the rear brakes and rotors were replaced and at 36k the front brakes and rotors. Maybe the fronts were changed changed one more time, but I don’t remember. I drive pretty crazy though, so I just attributed it to driving style. I don’t ride the brakes, but I definitely like to stop on a dime.
Previously I had a BMW that went 60k before it needed brakes.
I have 41k on my base Macan with original brakes. About 75% in town driving. I am seeing a little lip on the outer edge of the front rotors and the pads look like they may have around 5k miles left. I drive it pretty gently and try to use the brakes as little as possible knowing that a $1600-$2000 brake job is coming up.

· Registered
58 Posts
Hi, just wondering if this is normal to go through brakes on this car it seems like every 10,000 miles for me? I got the car used from Gaudin Porsche here in Las Vegas with 5,500 miles on it. At 11K it needed front and back brakes...then it needed front brakes again around 18K and now at almost 30K it needs front and back again. Also, I get heavy brake dust like everyone else on here too...

I go into the dealer next week for 30K service and they said they would check the brakes again. I know I had 1 brake pad recall awhile ago and Porsche did take care of it on their dime not mine... I just cannot for the life of me see why I'm going through brakes like this????

Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too..... I had a 2017 Audi Q5 before my Macan and did the brakes once at 30K and that was it. It seems on this car it's getting to be a once a year brake pad install.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. Thanks!
Definitely something wrong with the braking systems. I’m at 51.5K with my 2018 S and the darn brakes just won’t wear out. I’ve purchased all the replacement parts and am patiently waiting. Sorry to see you have to go through this. What a pain.

· Registered
9 Posts
Talk about strange coincidence, I also have a CPO 2019 Macan Base and just recently had brake wear indicator come on at 27,000 miles.

As I was also due for the 30k service, I took my car to the Porsche dealership and they stated the rear pads are at 4mm. Prior to purchasing, the Macan had front brake pads and sensors changed at 550 miles, then at 9,995 miles the dealership had replaced both front and rear brake pads and rotors (including sensors). The rear pads now have to be replaced after 17k miles, yet the fronts are still at 8mm. The dealership, Porsche San Diego, is stating the rear rotors should also be replaced with a total cost of $1,350 for the full rear brake job.

I've reached out to an Independent Porsche service shop that has quoted via phone that entire rear brake job (parts and labor included) at $500 for Pads/sensors plus $300 for the rear rotors if needed. They did mention that typically they also recommend rotor replacement when pads are being changed out as the cost of replacing rotors at a later date (if they don't make it to the next pad replacement) would cost more as there would be additional labor time/cost associated at the time. The labor time/cost for changing the rotors at the time of pad replacement is minimal. They also mentioned that they will check the sensors to be sure there is not any defects and if so they would only charge for the replacement of the sensors (or give me the option to take it back to the dealer to have them repair under warranty). I have an appointment with them in 2 weeks to have them inspect the brakes and replace the rears as necessary and will update you on how it turns out.

On a side note, per the recommendation from some members of the local PCA, they suggested I watch some youtube videos on the brake change and do it myself if I have some mechanical abilities and have changed brakes on other cars before. It's been a quite some time, but I have changed the brakes on my Acura Integra back in my college days. The video's I found were really good and do make it look rather straightforward, yet at the moment I don't have all the tools necessary, hence I'll get this brake job done by the Indy shop and invest in the tools for future brake jobs. The video I found most helpful is this one for a Macan GTS,
and there are others on the base Macan as well.

· Registered
4 Posts
2019 base Macan, Just changed my rear brakes at 25,000 (pads and rotors) $1500 lighter at main dealer in OC !! Have 7mm left on fronts so hopefully good for another year!! Audi S5 previously and changed brakes 40,000 miles.. and that was just pads…

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Must be a base Macan driver. Sorry to offend you
I am so embarrassed . . . I also drive a Macan Base.

I’m at 51.5K with my 2018 S and the darn brakes just won’t wear out.
Ditto . . . my Base just passed 50,000 miles and the front brakes look great . . .they keep checking them each time it goes in. Rears were done at about 27,000 miles. I'll likely do the fronts next time it's in for service.

· Registered
3,654 Posts
If you use ACC in city stop & go driving, it is possible the brakes are engaging often, w/o you pressing the brake pedal.
If the car in front brakes & moves over to a left turn lane, the Macan ACC is very slow to recognize that car is no longer in your path & will brake.

I assume Porsche inspected the brakes & your calipers are not hanging up. I had a car that did that once but, the brake pad wore down fast just on one side. Hard to believe 2 or more calipers are hanging up.

Something is clearly wrong with the brakes.

Good luck getting it figured out & keep us posted.

Reactions: VegasMacan
21 - 40 of 57 Posts