Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if this is normal to go through brakes on this car it seems like every 10,000 miles for me? I got the car used from Gaudin Porsche here in Las Vegas with 5,500 miles on it. At 11K it needed front and back brakes...then it needed front brakes again around 18K and now at almost 30K it needs front and back again. Also, I get heavy brake dust like everyone else on here too...

I go into the dealer next week for 30K service and they said they would check the brakes again. I know I had 1 brake pad recall awhile ago and Porsche did take care of it on their dime not mine... I just cannot for the life of me see why I'm going through brakes like this????

Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too..... I had a 2017 Audi Q5 before my Macan and did the brakes once at 30K and that was it. It seems on this car it's getting to be a once a year brake pad install.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. Thanks!

· Registered
26 Posts
No, that is not normal. Has the brake wear indicator light ever come on during your ownership? Personally, I would not change brake pads based on wear without that light coming on. At my 30K service the dealer called saying all four brakes and rotors needed changing. I pushed back and said the light hasn’t come on. He said it was a few hundred miles away from coming on. I declined their suggestion, drove another 12K and then the brake light sensor came on and I had them changed. I don’t go to that dealer anymore.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that is not normal. Has the brake wear indicator light ever come on during your ownership? Personally, I would not change brake pads based on wear without that light coming on. At my 30K service the dealer called saying all four brakes and rotors needed changing. I pushed back and said the light hasn’t come on. He said it was a few hundred miles away from coming on. I declined their suggestion, drove another 12K and then the brake light sensor came on and I had them changed. I don’t go to that dealer anymore.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, the brake light warning has come on several times and goes off once they changed the pads. When I'm at the dealer next week, I will insist that Porsche Corporate gets involved if they tell me I need new brakes and it's my responsibility. I love my car but I'm not paying thousands for new brakes....

· Registered
4,096 Posts
I just changed mine at 46500 miles. The fronts that Porsche said were close? Ah, no. They weren’t. Still had many miles to go. The rears? Hardly used. The only reason I did the rears was to keep pads the same at all four corners.

· Registered
321 Posts
I agree, not normal. I live in Los Angeles (so traffic sucks big time) I’m at 53,400 miles and I’ve done exactly 1 full set (front and rear around 35k) and I JUST my second set of rears at 50k ish. I asked them to check the front and I am still at almost 6mm, with plenty of meat left on them.

When they are doing brakes, are they doing brakes and rotors or just the pads? Maybe you have warped rotors? I know I had a friend with a A6 that went through brakes like it was getting gas. He upgraded to non OEM rotors and everything was for the better.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're not one who brakes with his left foot, are you? How about anyone else who drives the car? I often see left-footed brakers rolling down the road with their brake lights on the whole time. I always wonder if they know why their brakes don't last very long...
Hi, Like I said above, I down shift and I am not driving a tank so I only brake using my right foot...I'm the only driver too. I only brake when needed not driving the car with my foot on the brake....

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, not normal. I live in Los Angeles (so traffic sucks big time) I’m at 53,400 miles and I’ve done exactly 1 full set (front and rear around 35k) and I JUST my second set of rears at 50k ish. I asked them to check the front and I am still at almost 6mm, with plenty of meat left on them.

When they are doing brakes, are they doing brakes and rotors or just the pads? Maybe you have warped rotors? I know I had a friend with a A6 that went through brakes like it was getting gas. He upgraded to non OEM rotors and everything was for the better.
I think at this point I'm going down there tomorrow morning before my Monday appointment and chat with them.... I'm orginally from LA too so I know your traffic especially on the 405! =)

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm wondering what the history of this car was before I got it.... but still this is just too weird for me... I am used to driving in high traffic and on freeways and out here we really do not have LA type traffic so I do a lot of city driving with highway driving but I just have no explanation at this point as to why this car goes through brakes like it is... my Q5 I got over 30K out of my brakes so why this is happening so quickly needs to be addressed by my dealership.

· Registered
825 Posts
Hi, just wondering if this is normal to go through brakes on this car it seems like every 10,000 miles for me? I got the car used from Gaudin Porsche here in Las Vegas with 5,500 miles on it. At 11K it needed front and back brakes...then it needed front brakes again around 18K and now at almost 30K it needs front and back again. Also, I get heavy brake dust like everyone else on here too...

I go into the dealer next week for 30K service and they said they would check the brakes again. I know I had 1 brake pad recall awhile ago and Porsche did take care of it on their dime not mine... I just cannot for the life of me see why I'm going through brakes like this????

Also, I down shift a lot and I do not just ride my brakes too..... I had a 2017 Audi Q5 before my Macan and did the brakes once at 30K and that was it. It seems on this car it's getting to be a once a year brake pad install.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. Thanks!

This is completely normal. At least according to a dealership in central Florida. If you live in Orlando, your can expect to go through brakes every 10k miles or less. At least that is what I was told.

And before everyone freaks out, I am being very sarcastic. I bought a CPO Macan and 4 months later, my local dealer told me I would need replacements soon. Selling dealer wouldn't do anything over the phone - they said they needed to see for themselves. So I took a day off work, drove all the way back to the dealer who sold it to me. They looked at the sheet that was marked 90% on all four corners.

What happened next just leaves me speechless. SA told me I could expect to go through brakes once a year. The BS meter went off but i stayed calm. I average about 40k miles on front brakes. Every car I've had - and I lived in places like DC. So when I challenged his claim, I pressed and he then said if you live around here (Orlando), you could expect brakes every year.

And then they asked me what did I want? (What a dumb question) After more discussion, they replaced the front but not the back. I got another 5 months or so out of the backs and then replaced them myself.

It was a terrible experience.

PCNA did nothing. They told me this was a "dealer issue". I have doubts the Macan I bought was ever inspected. It was super clean and had been serviced regularly, but to miss brakes in that condition, and mark them as 90% pad left is dishonest or just lazy.

· Registered
155 Posts
I feel like the brakes don’t really last on my 2017 Base. I think at less than 10k miles I had the front rotors changed on Porsche’s dime because they were warped. Then somewhere around 20k the rear brakes and rotors were replaced and at 36k the front brakes and rotors. Maybe the fronts were changed changed one more time, but I don’t remember. I drive pretty crazy though, so I just attributed it to driving style. I don’t ride the brakes, but I definitely like to stop on a dime.
Previously I had a BMW that went 60k before it needed brakes.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel like the brakes don’t really last on my 2017 Base. I think at less than 10k miles I had the front rotors changed on Porsche’s dime because they were warped. Then somewhere around 20k the rear brakes and rotors were replaced and at 36k the front brakes and rotors. Maybe the fronts were changed changed one more time, but I don’t remember.
Previously I had a BMW that went 60k before it needed brakes.

Do you use the auto hold feature a lot? I used to… there’s no evidence that this causes the brakes to wear out faster, but I’ve always wondered. I have stopped using it just to see.
Hi, the hold feature comes on automatically on my car. Is there a way to not use it? Seems like we have the same issue. I LOVE my car but this is insane. I will trade it in next year anyways to get a new one but for the time being I do not want to spend a lot of money changing the entire braking system out....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts