Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two dealer Macans near me that I am interested in, both 2018s. They are essentially identically equipped the main difference is the engine and air suspension on the GTS. the S has 30k miles the GTS 20.

Where the ask for the GTS is 64k, the ask for the S is 51K. Is it worth 13 thousand for 30 more horses and PASM/AS?

FYI, just got a family member a 2021 Base Macan which started me down this rabbit hole. Would be getting out of a 2020 Q7 with the 6 cylinder.

Thanks for input/opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, neither. I've driven a new Turbo (Wow!) and the new base but am familiar with the 6 in both as its a modified engine from the Q7 55 just without the PDK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Prices sound about right. One car has 10k more miles, which is not insignificant. The GTS could have nicer wheels standard and other things you might not be thinking of when comparing the equipment.

Looking at the price vs the % of original msrp is also helpful for these comparisons

·
Registered
36 Posts
The GTS is worth the $13k extra over the S, IMO, just because of the original $13k pricing difference in 2018 when new and all of the additional options that come on it standard. Furthermore, it has 10k less miles. The X factor is the history on each car from a servicing standpoint, accidents, etc.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
All the cars are high right now due to the shortage of new inventory. The GTS is the more desirable car but I think you are (eventually) heading into just shopping new cars and landing on a GTS . In Porsche land it's always gouin g to be "for 13K more" with the Macan . With the 911 its "for 30K more" .

Over the years I have seen the same gig . Most hope for ideal used "the 50K Porsche" . BUT ,,, you really want the 60K Porsche . Then. you'll eye the 80K Porsche . Then you'll ponder the 100K Porsche .

It's a vicious cycle .

Offer them a take it or leave it deal at 58.7 on the GTS and then walk if they say no. Dont buy the S . It's not the one you really want . It's better to buy no car than the wrong car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
What's the MSRP for both? It could be that GTS has nicer options. If GTS has burmester,. 18 way seats, acc and so on it could easily be worth it. If it's just AS/PASM then that's definitely not $13k difference. Throw $900 here and you will catch up performance wise with cobb tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the MSRP for both? It could be that GTS has nicer options. If GTS has burmester,. 18 way seats, acc and so on it could easily be worth it. If it's just AS/PASM then that's definitely not $13k difference. Throw $900 here and you will catch up performance wise with cobb tune.
Yeah the options are really about the same. The GTS doesn't have anything special. Both have the same wheels. The S has some unusual options like running boards. As someone said, I would need to get the history of both as they appear to be trade-ins/ off lease and they are at two different dealers.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree with @Opt1k - can't answer without knowing the two original MSRP's and knowing exactly what differences there are between the two. I'd also value the lower miles as $5000 of the diff which means $8k more for the GTS. Seems reasonable to me, again, without knowing the specifics of the equipment.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah the options are really about the same. The GTS doesn't have anything special. Both have the same wheels. The S has some unusual options like running boards. As someone said, I would need to get the history of both as they appear to be trade-ins/ off lease and they are at two different dealers.
Check them here Porsche Build Sheets and Window Stickers by VIN | VIN Analytics and post pictures so we could help. I can tell you that if Macan S doesn't have sport chrono package I would definitely pass.

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Is it worth 13 thousand for 30 more horses and PASM/AS?

The question is not whether it's worth it for various forum members - it's whether it's worth it for you...

Equally, if not more, important is which options are the ones you really have to have.

If you want it bad enough, the $13K will seem well worth it. What are the used car book values (ex. NADA) for the GTS?

Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
All the cars are high right now due to the shortage of new inventory. The GTS is the more desirable car but I think you are (eventually) heading into just shopping new cars and landing on a GTS . In Porsche land it's always gouin g to be "for 13K more" with the Macan . With the 911 its "for 30K more" .

Over the years I have seen the same gig . Most hope for ideal used "the 50K Porsche" . BUT ,,, you really want the 60K Porsche . Then. you'll eye the 80K Porsche . Then you'll ponder the 100K Porsche .

It's a vicious cycle .

Offer them a take it or leave it deal at 58.7 on the GTS and then walk if they say no. Dont buy the S . It's not the one you really want . It's better to buy no car than the wrong car.
You really nailed my 911 shopping experience from about 9 years ago. I started looking for a $40K car, decided it needed to be newer for peace of mind and slowly went up to $50K then $60K and ended up with a $70K car. Was totally worth it though. Sold it 5 years later for $60K.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
You really nailed my 911 shopping experience from about 9 years ago. I started looking for a $40K car, decided it needed to be newer for peace of mind and slowly went up to $50K then $60K and ended up with a $70K car. Was totally worth it though. Sold it 5 years later for $60K.
A lot of people bought used 911's during the financial and real estate crisis (08/09) , drove them , and sold for a profit . At that time one saw 85K cars with sub 10K miles selling in the upper 50's . In financial despair the cars were pitched. That's when Porsche decided to really strengthen the CPO program . Nine years ago was after the fire sale . I did not buy a used 911 but I did get 20 percent off on a new one . I wasn't even in the market for a car . I read on a forum that a guy got 20 percent off . So I walked into an empty dealership and told them that I read this and if they gave me that deal I'd walk around on the lot and pick something . They scratched their head ... paused and said ok .
It actually was mind blowing . So here are the pictures of a much younger yrralis1 with the best deal I ever got ! Oh.. and I married the woman in the picture . Let me wipe this grin off my face - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

·
Registered
2021 Volcano Grey Macan GTS
18 Posts
A lot of people bought used 911's during the financial and real estate crisis (08/09) , drove them , and sold for a profit . At that time one saw 85K cars with sub 10K miles selling in the upper 50's . In financial despair the cars were pitched. That's when Porsche decided to really strengthen the CPO program . Nine years ago was after the fire sale . I did not buy a used 911 but I did get 20 percent off on a new one . I wasn't even in the market for a car . I read on a forum that a guy got 20 percent off . So I walked into an empty dealership and told them that I read this and if they gave me that deal I'd walk around on the lot and pick something . They scratched their head ... paused and said ok .
It actually was mind blowing . So here are the pictures of a much younger yrralis1 with the best deal I ever got ! Oh.. and I married the woman in the picture . Let me wipe this grin off my face - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource
Have a look at the prices in Australia...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless the S is loaded up with Sport chrono, sport exhaust and air suspension, I would go with the GTS. You really want these features on any Macan you buy. They will help greatly at resale time as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Unless the S is loaded up with Sport chrono, sport exhaust and air suspension, I would go with the GTS. You really want these features on any Macan you buy. They will help greatly at resale time as well.
I totally agree with sport chrono, partially agree with AS, but why would you add PSE as a mandatory option is beyond me.

·
Registered
2018 GTS Volcano Grey Metallic
31 Posts
I spent at least a year trying to find the "right" GTS and ended up finding one that was really optioned out but high miles for a 2018 (50k miles). It depends how soon you're looking to get into it - like mentioned earlier, the GTS is in high demand and hard to find with the options you want. If you have the full build data, I'd recommend dropping it here - some options are expensive and not worth much in my opinion, whereas others can make a big difference. For me it was the 18 way seats, LED lights, and alcantara. Air suspension felt like a huge upgrade to me over the S as well.

If it was me, I'd drive both back to back, and offer them something close to 60k for the GTS unless you find that the S checks all the boxes for what you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would not buy a Macan of any variety without sport exhaust. Yeah, I could buy a nice aftermarket exhaust, but I prefer the OEM solution. The exception would be for a 2019 and newer Macan. The PSE simply does not sound as nice as the earlier models.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would not buy a Macan of any variety without sport exhaust. Yeah, I could buy a nice aftermarket exhaust, but I prefer the OEM solution. The exception would be for a 2019 and newer Macan. The PSE simply does not sound as nice as the earlier models.
The GTS comes standard with the "Sport Exhaust System with Tailpipes in High Gloss Black" so I would see no point in replacing it with a "nice aftermarket exhaust". Yesterday when starting my 2021 GTS in the golf course parking lot, with the sport exhaust turned on, it clearly caught the attention of a number of guys who were standing around chatting. It was fun to see all the heads it turned on startup, with the button pressed. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts