Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
In responce to "how can you feel the difference these strut side braces make...," As I stated earlier in the post, with PTV+ and PASM you would notice it more as PTV+ includes a rear differential lock. Under hard cornering a rear differential lock, (or limited slip), loads up the chassis more then an open differential would. Thus those lucky Porsche Macan owners with PTV+ and PSAM would notice the benefit of the strut side braces more so then those of us with open differentials. They certainly make the front end more rigid with them then without. Did all of a sudden the Porsche Design Engineers realize they "over engineered the car" ??? My guess not. I didn't start the post to show how much I know, but rather share what I've learned. In a bar, for example a strut cross brace, can experience two loads, compression and tension. With out lateral support the loads will create sheer. Thus "engineering 101" triangulation. Without the side braces you do not have triangulation. So we're to assume the Porsche Design Engineers sent a memo to the Corporate office apologizing for over engineering the Macan and to please eliminate the cross braces.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow. I have my 2018 Turbo/PP on the way. I figured that by ordering at the very last part of a model run all of the t's will have been crossed and all the i's dotted. Now I find out that Porsche is going back and erasing the crosses and dots and we have to go spend another $160 to correct it and make the engine compartment look complete? Frustrating.

Does an aftermarket strut support for the Macan even exist? I can't find one available.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What are the part numbers for the dust cover? My 2018 PP is missing those parts too. TIA

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like the strut support on your 2018 already has the tapped in female threaded portion on the strut support to accept bolts attaching the strut bar? If so then you shouldn't need to buy the strut support bar also, right?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I will only get the fender covers and not monkey aeound the strut bars.

John

Reactions: Jchan

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Are those aftermarket filters or that the stock Turbo/PP intake setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the kit from Flat 6 Motorsports.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
@rennwagen I couldn’t tell any difference with my butt dyno but I am claiming 450!

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: rennwagen

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
1) You folks doing this back-to-the-future (2018-to-2017) mod -- and I'm talking to you, @itsmarkda and @JohnC4S -- will you be taking a lot of pics along the way, in order to make this a simple DIY project for under-hood neophytes, with nice documentation?
I absolutely will be taking pictures of the step-by-step process. I'll be sure to post them here once I'm done. The parts won't even be here for a couple of weeks, so be patient. I see that @JohnC4S has already posted more pics.

2) Yes, I have read this entire thread (thus far), and I'm still a tiny bit puzzled: does this mod require any cutting or drilling, that sort of thing? Or is simply a matter of buying the parts and then using sockets, ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and suchlike, as if you were putting something together from Ikea?
As @JohnC4S has said, a small bracket needs to be installed at the firewall, underneath the plastic push-rivet. I'm not sure if I'm going to pop rivet it as he did, or perhaps use an epoxy. My car is black, so I maybe able to find some pre-made epoxy coated bracket that matches the black. We'll see.

3) It sure would be nice if someone from Porsche would comment on whether this was strictly a cost-cutting measure, or, for instance, if some engineers just decided the extra bracing wasn't necessary, and just added extra weight, or interfered with engine cooling, or something like that. I'm probably dreaming here ...
Agreed, but I doubt we'll ever hear anything in that regard.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm not sure who's Blue Macan Turbo is in those pics, (JohnC4S) but he's very lucky. Take a closer look, his car still has the attaching brackets on the fire wall. I wasn't so lucky....

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm not sure who's Blue Macan Turbo is in those pics, (JohnC4S) but he's very lucky. Take a closer look, his car still has the attaching brackets on the fire wall.
Yes he is lucky! I don't plan on bothering with those two plastic under hood covers, but I WILL be doing what is needed to add those two missing support struts.

I'm hoping when I receive my 2018 Macan S, the center strut has the threaded holes in it so I only have to buy the two support struts & bolts!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Talked to my service guy tonight and he thinks they stopped including the covers as they were contributing to the hood rattle issue. He looked up the covers and they have them in stock (California). Offered to get them but decided to hold off rather than risk rattling issues. For those who put them on let us know if you have issues. He also said it was likely they found the extra struts were not needed and so dropped with main strut being redesigned dropping the inserts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sorry but as hard as I look at the pictures I can't see what you guys are talking about. I'm getting my Macan S in two weeks and I wish I knew what to look for/question the dealer about. Can someone who has before and after pictures, or 2016 vs 2018 pictures draw a circle around the change(s)? I'm sure it's obvious to owners of pre- and post-change Macans, but I can't see anything.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Talked to my service guy tonight and he thinks they stopped including the covers as they were contributing to the hood rattle issue. He looked up the covers and they have them in stock (California). Offered to get them but decided to hold off rather than risk rattling issues. For those who put them on let us know if you have issues. He also said it was likely they found the extra struts were not needed and so dropped with main strut being redesigned dropping the inserts.
Agreed. I wouldn't waste any time or money making changes until you get a professional opinion from a trusted Porsche source.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
No offense but I think your SA is full of it. How many threads here over 3 years complaining about those parts...rattling. It is a very unelegant solution at best or just making up excuses at worst.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
No offense but I think your SA is full of it. How many threads here over 3 years complaining about those parts...rattling. It is a very unelegant solution at best or just making up excuses at worst.
Yup, what are they gonna say at the dealership? "Sorry but Porsche is saving a couple millions/year by deleting struts and covers on their top seller..."

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I'm sorry but as hard as I look at the pictures I can't see what you guys are talking about. .....
See if this helps. The picture is from a Turbo, but it should look the same on an S. To view full size, right click on image and select View Image:

Rear Covers outlined in yellow
Strut Support outlined in red (along the back firewall)
Strut Bars outlined in blue (branching off the Strut Support)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After a closer look at the strut brace setup, I think Porsche in their decision to delete the angle braces, eliminated the only parts that were directly bolted into the shock tower. The main cross brace, the one they left, was in reality the support rather then the actual brace. Its only mounted to a flange on either side above the shock tower by two nuts and one center bracket to the fire wall. Alone, I can not see how this would add any rigidity to the shock tower.

41 - 60 of 132 Posts