Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
2018 macan S. Now after relatively little money I'm feeling better. Strut braces and fender covers. Also I can not understand for the life of me why Porsche would have designed a front license plate frame that would be screwed into the front bumper and their choice of the location. I mounted it just below with the aid of zip ties and double stick tape. Solid as a rock and it dosen't distract from the lines of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Nice Topgear,
Looks factory for sure.
Noticed the BMC filters,I guess you carved the lids open yourself .
What other mods are on your list ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Before picture.... and after...
1) Interesting thread you started. Thanks for the info ... especially considering that I have a 2018 S.

2) Feel free to post larger pics. Those 320 x 240 pixel ones are mighty small, low-res, in this day and age (or with my eyesight, anyway).

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I just ordered all the parts for my 2018 GTS through Hoffman (thanks @Masscan). I’ll report back, with pictures, after I’ve installed them.

Thanks to @topgear for the heads-up. I’m extremely disappointed that Porsche would cheapen the Macan this way. I got the parts for less than $160 (not including shipping), so how much could they possibly be saving? This is my first Porsche, but my impression was that they were a 1st class, premium brand. Are we seeing the influence of the VW overlords causing them to pinch pennies? If so, this does not bode well.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan S (Delete)

What are the part numbers for the dust cover? My 2018 PP is missing those parts too. TIA

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Wspollack, maybe get Tapatalk app for viewing forum, these posted images are full screen and good res., I just recently figured this better option as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tapatalk is for phones, right?

The thing is, I mostly view the forum on a desktop (Mac) machine, using a regular browser. In this mode, those clicked-on thumbnails "enlarge" to a mere 320x240. And making those larger, via viewing controls, gets blurry in a hurry.

Maybe it has something to do with what device was used to upload the pics, when creating a post.

I have my own web site, and so when I post pics, I just drag/FTP them there, and put a link in the thread. I tend to use 800x600 resizing before I put them up on the web, as what I think is a reasonable compromise in letting people see what's going on, vs. glomming up a big PC screen and having to use scrollbars.

To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the pics I put in one of my early posts, just after picking up the car:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/150713-pec-delivery-mahogany-brown-home-now.html

But then look at this current thread on a desktop browser, and see what you think. But I'm certainly open to more suggestions.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Nope. No sidebars.

John

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Tapatalk is for phones, right?

The thing is, I mostly view the forum on a desktop (Mac) machine, using a regular browser. In this mode, those clicked-on thumbnails "enlarge" to a mere 320x240. And making those larger, via viewing controls, gets blurry in a hurry.

Maybe it has something to do with what device was used to upload the pics, when creating a post.

I have my own web site, and so when I post pics, I just drag/FTP them there, and put a link in the thread. I tend to use 800x600 resizing before I put them up on the web, as what I think is a reasonable compromise in letting people see what's going on, vs. glomming up a big PC screen and having to use scrollbars.

To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the pics I put in one of my early posts, just after picking up the car:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/deliveries/150713-pec-delivery-mahogany-brown-home-now.html

But then look at this current thread on a desktop browser, and see what you think. But I'm certainly open to more suggestions.

I use Tapa on iPad. Great for pics as they flood in auto.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The 2017 Macan did not come with the (2) side reinforcement struts either (it has the threaded mounting holes in the center strut bar though)...but the 2017 Macan did come with those two fender covers behind the headlights...

http://2-photos7.motorcar.com/used-2017-porsche-macan-s-8535-17084784-47-1024.jpg

Regardless, when I finally take delivery of my 2018 Macan S, I too will be ordering the 2016 center strut bar (with mounting holes for the support strut bars), as well as the 2016 (2) side reinforcement struts...unless I can find a better aftermarket center strut bar for the Macan.

Thank you for bringing this issue up!
I have an early 2017 S (delivered April 2016) and it has both the side reinforcement struts and the two fender side covers.

Now after having to source the parts, install them, I will admit it was well worth it. Driving without the side braces and now with, the front end responds to bumps differently and feels more rigid in the corners. I also know after driving a 2017 Macan GTS with PTV and PASM, there was more to the side braces than I imagined. Without PTV and PASM it would be less noticeable. The covers are obviously cosmetic but without them it looks like somethings missing.
I'm sure this is now you felt, however, I have a hard time believing that anyone could objectively feel the difference in front end rigidity in the corners.

I'm sure the decision to delete by Porsche was done to reduces expenses, however, it seems illogical to believe Porsche would make this move if it effected handling that was easily identified.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm sure the decision to delete by Porsche was done to reduces expenses, however, it seems illogical to believe Porsche would make this move if it effected handling that was easily identified.
What's scary is what else did Porsche omit on the 2018 model year Macan?

:eek:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
What are the part numbers for the dust cover? My 2018 PP is missing those parts too. TIA
Here is the list of parts I ordered through Hoffman:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
9A7-805-629-02 Strut Support $56.41 1 $56.41
8R0-805-620 Strut Bar $21.38 1 $21.38
8R0-805-619 Strut Bar $22.90 1 $22.90
95B-806-583-B-1E0 Rear Cover $25.03 1 $25.03
95B-806-584-B-1E0 Rear Cover $25.03 1 $25.03
N-906-439-06 Strut Bar Bolt $0.66 4 $2.64
WHT-004-750. Fender Ledge Cover Rivet $0.76 4 $3.04

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Here is the list of parts I ordered through Hoffman:

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
9A7-805-629-02 Strut Support $56.41 1 $56.41
8R0-805-620 Strut Bar $21.38 1 $21.38
8R0-805-619 Strut Bar $22.90 1 $22.90
95B-806-583-B-1E0 Rear Cover $25.03 1 $25.03
95B-806-584-B-1E0 Rear Cover $25.03 1 $25.03
N-906-439-06 Strut Bar Bolt $0.66 4 $2.64
WHT-004-750. Fender Ledge Cover Rivet $0.76 4 $3.04
Wow! Thank you for the prompt response. I guess I have a small project coming up.

John

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
DIY Documentation & Question

1) You folks doing this back-to-the-future (2018-to-2017) mod -- and I'm talking to you, @itsmarkda and @JohnC4S -- will you be taking a lot of pics along the way, in order to make this a simple DIY project for under-hood neophytes, with nice documentation?

2) Yes, I have read this entire thread (thus far), and I'm still a tiny bit puzzled: does this mod require any cutting or drilling, that sort of thing? Or is simply a matter of buying the parts and then using sockets, ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and suchlike, as if you were putting something together from Ikea?

3) It sure would be nice if someone from Porsche would comment on whether this was strictly a cost-cutting measure, or, for instance, if some engineers just decided the extra bracing wasn't necessary, and just added extra weight, or interfered with engine cooling, or something like that. I'm probably dreaming here ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big thank you to the OP for the great information.

Picked up our 2018 Turbo yesterday. Now I find this thread, popped the hood and noticed the missing parts. I'm going to order the needed parts in case they become unavailable.

But I'll have to wait for someone to hopefully post a DIY with pictures. Or find someone to help me do it. I can barely hammer a nail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
The only real fabrication involved is making a 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" angle iron (aluminum) bracket. I used 1"x 1". It will work but you get close to the edge when your installing the top push pin. Porsche deleted the firewall bracket. I then painted it the car color, put a piece of double stick behind it, positioned it under the fender cover where the push pin would go through and stuck it to the firewall. Later drilled one hole through the bracket and firewall and used one aluminum pop rivet. You also have to trim the flange on the fender covers to clear the bracket you just made. A little snip snip with a tin shear, and of course drill the correct size hole for the push pin on the top. You have to order about 8 or 10 of those push pins, the ones that secure the plastic cover to the fender. You will also need a few license plate screws to attach the front section to the rear section. Porsche also changed the front cover as well and theres no other way of joining them together. Took about an hour... looks factory

Attachments

21 - 40 of 132 Posts