Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many 2018 Macan vehicle owners are out there but I thought I'de share a bit of information. The 2018 no longer has the two strut braces under the hood nor do they have the inner fender covers on either side behind the head lights. Is Porsche really saving money by deleting these items... I found the parts and installed them while they were still available. You have to add a bracket to the fire wall to secure the locking clip.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm not sure how many 2018 Macan vehicle owners are out there but I thought I'de share a bit of information. The 2018 no longer has the two strut braces under the hood nor do they have the inner fender covers on either side behind the head lights. Is Porsche really saving money by deleting these items... I found the parts and installed them while they were still available. You have to add a bracket to the fire wall to secure the locking clip.
I think it cheapens the look of the engine bay considerably. But Porsche will probably tell you it's a weight savings upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strut Reinforcement
Left: 8R0805619
Right: 8R0805620
Bolt (s): N90643906

Cant seem to find the cover part numbers...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Had a look at the GTS and there are no reinforcement struts either. The main strut however does not have any holes where you could bolt the secondary struts anyway. Perhaps they beefed up the main strut and the others are no longer required.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I'm afraid their exactly the same minus the holes and threaded inserts. Lucky enough my vehicle was an early 2018 and had the holes and threaded inserts. Just purchased the side supports, bolts and they bolted right in. The fender covers were more complicated as they changed some of the fasteners and deleted the firewall flange. I had to make my own out of aluminum angle iron and painted it the car color. Used double stick tape and a aluminum rivet. Done... most likely the only 2018 with them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the upcoming 2019 Porsche Macan models, from my experience, there are plans to eliminate the Twin Turbo for a single turbo. They claim same HP and torque figures. Being and knowing what I know now, the best year for the Porsche Macan is going to be the 2017. With a bit of research and parts seeking I was able to install the deleted parts. I feel like I have one up on Porsche, for less then $100. Good luck on future model years. I feel the best is behind us on this model. Unfortunately $$$ and the bottom line is paramount. I've experienced this with Mercedes Benz and the C300 class. They Offered two models Sport Model with lower suspension and sports grill and the Lux version with chrome trim and softer ride. After 2014 the car went from amazing and sporty to mundane and boring. No longer available with V6 engine and vented and cross drilled rotors, staggered wheel sizes, to your moms grocery getter. Remember the TV commercials... Breaking chains and the paint peeling off.... Got my blood going.. See that now?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
fwiw the cover part #s are 95B 806 583 B 1E0 and 95B 806 584 B 1E0 I believe. The reinforcement struts were discontinued after 12/16/16 according to the current parts catalog.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Had a look at the GTS and there are no reinforcement struts either. The main strut however does not have any holes where you could bolt the secondary struts anyway. Perhaps they beefed up the main strut and the others are no longer required.
What's to stop someone from just buying a main strut ($56) with the mounting holes/threads, and the two secondary struts ($21 a piece)?

https://www.hoffmanporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-strut-support-9a780562902

https://www.hoffmanporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-strut-bar-8r0805620?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_a7K2abQ2QIViR-GCh3JYwT-EAYYByABEgJr3vD_BwE

https://www.hoffmanporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-strut-bar-8r0805619

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've experienced this with Mercedes Benz and the C300 class. They Offered two models Sport Model with lower suspension and sports grill and the Lux version with chrome trim and softer ride. After 2014 the car went from amazing and sporty to mundane and boring. No longer available with V6 engine and vented and cross drilled rotors, staggered wheel sizes, to your moms grocery getter...
My current 2016 C450 has a twin turbo V6, vented and crossed drilled front rotors, staggered wheels, and adjustable sport suspension...

;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2018 Macan delivered 10/31/17 front cross bar does not have the pre drilled holes for the extra cross bars. Not going to drill it as that might compromise the integrity of he bar. Wonder if this one is bigger that the older bar.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
You gotta love the bean counters. I hope Porsche doesn't go too mainstream like Mama VW.
My '15 Macan S is that much more special now.
Thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want the added rigidity of the side braces, just order the older 2017 strut brace. They are identical, minus the ability to afix the side braces. I was lucky mine still had the old brace with the holes and threaded inserts. It took some time getting the parts as Porsche was responsible for the delay. Seems they were reluctant about making the parts available. After 2-3 weeks they relented and shipped the parts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Being and knowing what I know now, the best year for the Porsche Macan is going to be the 2017. With a bit of research and parts seeking I was able to install the deleted parts. I feel like I have one up on Porsche, for less then $100. Good luck on future model years. I feel the best is behind us on this model.
The 2017 Macan did not come with the (2) side reinforcement struts either (it has the threaded mounting holes in the center strut bar though)...but the 2017 Macan did come with those two fender covers behind the headlights...

http://2-photos7.motorcar.com/used-2017-porsche-macan-s-8535-17084784-47-1024.jpg

Regardless, when I finally take delivery of my 2018 Macan S, I too will be ordering the 2016 center strut bar (with mounting holes for the support strut bars), as well as the 2016 (2) side reinforcement struts...unless I can find a better aftermarket center strut bar for the Macan.

Thank you for bringing this issue up!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has anyone with a newer Macan that did not come with the older style double bars added them. What did that do to feel, cornering etc. Did it make a difference ? Was it worth it ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"In an attempt no one would notice...," When I took delivery on my 2018, I went back to the dealer and stated my Macan was defective as it was missing parts. The manager and service manager were dumbfounded. We collectively walked the lot and popped the hood on every 2018, from the base Macan to the Turbo, guess what..., no fender covers and cross braces. I saw their looks of embarrassment and at that moment I saw the writing on the wall, the Macan was on the down slide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now after having to source the parts, install them, I will admit it was well worth it. Driving without the side braces and now with, the front end responds to bumps differently and feels more rigid in the corners. I also know after driving a 2017 Macan GTS with PTV and PASM, there was more to the side braces than I imagined. Without PTV and PASM it would be less noticeable. The covers are obviously cosmetic but without them it looks like somethings missing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The 2017 Macan did not come with the (2) side reinforcement struts either (it has the threaded mounting holes in the center strut bar though)...but the 2017 Macan did come with those two fender covers behind the headlights...
The early MY17s still had he struts. I know that because I had one.

I find what's even more embarrassing is that the parts are identical to the Q5 and the MY17 Q5 still had them.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just checked my 17 Macan S engine bay. Build was December 2016 and vehicle still has all currently deleted struts, braces and covers. I thought Porsche was making upwards of 15 grand per Macan. This mentality does not bode well for the brand.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts