Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing a semi aggressive start from a stand still, the engine will suddenly head for red-line. The accelerator pedal in nowhere near floored and it doesn’t respond quickly to releasing the accelerator pedal. It has hit redline twice that I remember during these times and it is not in Sport. This has never happened in my 2015 S.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been following the forum for quite a while, and I don't think we've ever heard anything like this complaint before.

Definitely something to have your dealer look at. Is it easy to duplicate, or does it happen just once in a while?

·
Registered
378 Posts
When doing a semi aggressive start from a stand still, the engine will suddenly head for red-line. The accelerator pedal in nowhere near floored and it doesn’t respond quickly to releasing the accelerator pedal. It has hit redline twice that I remember during these times and it is not in Sport. This has never happened in my 2015 S.
I think this happened to me twice but let me explain my experience. I'm at a stop sign or red light. I semi aggressively "tap" the gas pedal and the car revs up to 4 or 5K RPM. It held 1st gear for a while before it finally released to 2nd. During this time, my car is roaring and I'm gently stepping on the gas pedal. I can't recall if both times I was on a downhill or uphill at the stop sign but I'll take notes next time when it happens again. I too have a 2018 GTS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2018 GTS with not quite 2k miles and not in sport. Yeah, happens frequently. Seems it wants to rev up to 4-5k and stay there waiting to me to go faster (Come on you acted like you wanted to play...let's go!!). Reduced gas pedal 1/2 or less expecting it to shift up, but no, just stayed there. Scared me at first, then I just learned to upshift with the right paddle as a work around and it just settles down. Still learning the beast but it seems the PDK is more temperamental than the S-tronic in my previous Audi S4. Too soon to waste time at the dealer. Will see if other issues crop up, if this is even an issue. My salesman states it is "typical German engineering" when I ask why the last 5 PCM presets can't be changed. :rolleyes: Still, would not trade it for anything else right now, very pleased with performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2018 GTS with not quite 2k miles and not in sport. Yeah, happens frequently. Seems it wants to rev up to 4-5k and stay there waiting for me to go faster (Come on you acted like you wanted to play...let's go!!). Reduced gas pedal 1/2 or less expecting it to shift up, but no, just stayed there. Scared me at first, then I just learned to upshift with the right paddle as a work around and it just settles down. Still learning the beast but it seems the PDK is more temperamental than the S-tronic in my previous Audi S4. Too soon to waste time at the dealer. Will see if other issues crop up, if this is even an issue. My salesman states it is "typical German engineering" when I ask why the last 5 PCM presets can't be changed. :rolleyes: Still, would not trade it for anything else right now, very pleased with performance.

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
This has never happened on my 2015 S. It sounds like the PDK’s clutches are not engaging and I don’t think it’s normal.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can't say I've ever experienced that behavior in Normal mode on my 18GTS . Sport/+ are definitely a little more touchy to the pedal though.

And I've driven it on OEM for ~2k miles and Cobb'ed for ~2k miles so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Based on the way you describe it, it sounds like something serious is wrong, and I'm surprised you don't want the dealer to look at it as soon as possible. My reaction is just like JZWU's, that something is amiss with the PDK.

Perhaps we are not understanding exactly what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2018 GTS 8,000+ km. I believe the description the OP has given is normal. I recall the first few times it happened to me, I thought “what the #### is going on”. Now I have learnt it quirks and know when to expect this behaviour.

It happens in normal mode when you give it moderate to hard acceleration ,typically from standstill, and then ease off the gas. It is as if the engine/ trans is waiting to see if you are going to follow through with your initial request for quick acceleration is going to continue to high speed. If you push the accelerator just as far but push it slower to that point it behaves more as you would expect.

Modern ecu’s not only “see” how far you push the throttle but also how quickly you push the throttle.
It does return to normal, just not as quickly as a traditional transmission, and as someone else said , just right paddle to overcome the low gear.

·
Registered
378 Posts
2018 GTS with not quite 2k miles and not in sport. Yeah, happens frequently. Seems it wants to rev up to 4-5k and stay there waiting to me to go faster (Come on you acted like you wanted to play...let's go!!). Reduced gas pedal 1/2 or less expecting it to shift up, but no, just stayed there. Scared me at first, then I just learned to upshift with the right paddle as a work around and it just settles down. Still learning the beast but it seems the PDK is more temperamental than the S-tronic in my previous Audi S4. Too soon to waste time at the dealer. Will see if other issues crop up, if this is even an issue. My salesman states it is "typical German engineering" when I ask why the last 5 PCM presets can't be changed. :rolleyes: Still, would not trade it for anything else right now, very pleased with performance.
Good idea....upshift with paddle next time it happens again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean on this one. Mine does it now and again, is normal to me and not a "bad" thing.

I look at it like this, have you ever seen someone walking a big German Shepherd dog, it's just walking slow and casual, you know it weighs more than most humans and has more muscle than "Arnie" in Commando.
But then you see it when someone shakes a stick in it's face and throws. that thing takes off like it was nuke powered...

That's what your Macan is doing, it was cruising all nice and relaxed, then, it felt your foot go down a fraction second faster, it felt you turn the wheel a bit quicker around a tighter corner etc. etc. and it said "Woo Hoo, Playtime!!!" I can do that, and that's why you bought me, didn't you?
:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even though mine is a 2018 Base and not a GTS I recently experienced the same thing as described in thread on two occasions. I was worried something was wrong but after reading these comments I guess it isn’t that uncommon.

Interestingly enough I only noticed this transmission behavior after I did the PDK Reset procedure (the one where you turn off the a/c, wait three minutes, etc.). When I first did the reset didn’t really notice any difference in the transmission but this may be evidence the transmission is now re-learning my driving style.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Most of the time when I'm in "Comfort Mode", I'm greeted with turbo lag from an aggressive start at stand still....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts