Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Completely agree and IMO, this is one of the best arguments for learning how to do it. I’ve said this to my wife (who’d prefer that I not go down a new rabbit hole and accumulate more tools, lol) but scuffs and scratches are inevitable and there would be nothing better than knowing we have the tools and know-how to correct those issues ourselves. With all of the free knowledge available online these days, plus the fact that it seems harder and harder to find good professionals, I’d rather rely on myself as much as possible.

Now if I can only figure out how to repair curb rash. First day out of the shop taking the Macan for a cruise out in the snow the other day, I didn’t realize there was a short curb under the snow as I was taking a curve (also might or might not have been trying to get the back to whip out on me), and sure enough my right rear wheel skimmed/skipped off the curb and left a 3-4” scratch on my pristine black RS Spyders🤦‍♂️
Every time I tap a curb my mind goes ca-ching X $150 plus S/T and the agony of dealing with it. A main reason for this driver's failure I have decided is the the Macan is wider than my other cars that I have had. That and the 20 inch wheels stick out more. In the old days 14 inch wheels were common so the tires took the blow.

Hi everyone, just introducing myself and my new (to me) 2018 Jet Black Metallic Macan GTS. I’m also new to the P-world and can’t think of a better way to step into the brand after having dreamed of owning a Porsche since I was a teenager.
View attachment 239038

The Purchase:
Wife and I bought this as a CPO during the holiday break from our local dealership, Porsche Beaverton. I had been saving for a couple of years while obsessively researching and lurking in these forums. We originally wanted a Macan S but PASM, SC, and PTV+ were high up on my list, and I quickly realized that I was more likely to find those performance options on a GTS build. After a frustrating experience trying to buy an out-of-state Rhodium Silver GTS (favorite color) from a dealership that turned out to be shady, we honed in on a local GTS with low mileage in JBM with nearly every option I wanted. Had a hard time compromising on Rhodium, but black was my 2nd favorite color and months of monitoring the used market taught me that if I kept waiting for the absolute perfect build in the perfect color (not to mention on CPO, with low mileage, from a good dealership, and fairly priced, etc), I’d have better luck winning the lottery. Given the local availability and the options spec’d on this build, plus the beauty of the car when seen in person (black cars really don’t photograph well IMO), we pulled the trigger. Kudos to our local dealership which allowed me to take the car for a half-day test drive. That really cemented the deal.

Driving it:
Ownership experience has been great thus far as driving the car brings me a ton of joy. Obviously the build quality and luxury aspects are top notch but I just love the way it produces power and sounds through moderate to high speeds. Merging onto highways and accelerating to pass (or accelerating from that rev-sweet-spot while pretending to pass even if there’s nobody there) are good examples. “Gorgeous” is the word that consistently comes to mind whenever I experience this sensation, which is even more thrilling on the twists and turns. PSE sounds incredible, especially the rev matching on Sport and Sport Plus downshifts — ugh, so great. The unique combination of performance and comfort (and alternating anywhere between those extremes by pressing a few buttons) is still mind-blowing to me — surely nothing I’ve ever experienced in any other car. I still wish it rolled less going into high speed turns, but that’s physics for ya. Despite a few minor issues I’m working to address, I am extremely happy with our decision to buy this car each and every day I cold-start this thing.

With that bit of background out of the way, here’s my build:
  • Sport Chrono
  • PTV+
  • GTS Interior Package (leather + alcantara w/Carmine stitching, belts, and tach)
  • Brushed black aluminum trim
  • 18-way seats
  • SD Mirrors
  • Premium Plus, Nav, LCA, Steering Wheel Heating, Smoking Package
  • Trailer hitch & roof rails (ehh, would rather not have them but they make more sense for our family)

On the immediate to-do list:
  • Air Suspension already threw up a fault code accompanied by that loud & scary grinding/creaking noise but the dealership wasn’t able to replicate the issue and the error hasn’t re-surfaced since they cleared codes, so I am told to monitor this and report back if it happens again. Been 2 weeks and no further problems yet. Weird.
  • Retrofit Apple CarPlay w/o the VC stalk. Still working with the dealership on this as they are inclined to think that VC is required despite other MF members having had the work done at the same dealership without VC.
  • Carpet is being replaced under warranty next week due to some weird premature wear/flaking-off of the carpet fibers in the rear. Very happy with the dealership for coming through on this one.
  • Check with dealership to see if they can enable High Beam Assist, per a recent post on the forums showing how easy it’s done via PIWIS.

Other fun stuff to tackle:
  • Paint correct and ceramic coat
  • Pick up a pressure washer and foam cannon, and beef up my car cleaning supplies
  • Tinker w/my phone mounting setup (for now I’m using a Rennline Mount + a $12 black silicone MagSafe holder affixed to the Rennline ball + Aukey 21W compact 12V charger for an all-in-one wireless charging and mounting solution). Once CarPlay is installed, I’ll need to re-assess as I’m not sure how MagSafe behaves when physically plugged in for CarPlay. I’ll probably switch back to the Rennline magnet, but the whole magnetic plate in case thing interferes with standard MagSafe wireless charging.
  • Install license plate frame from Future Classic
  • Install fob onto an OrbitKey key organizer and pick up a set of painted red key sides
  • Get a radar detector asap
  • Possibly add the convenience module
  • Possibly do a cargo management retrofit
  • Possibly do an ECU tune and slight lowering (after the CPO warranty expires)
Belated Congrats, how’s ownership a year.5 later? I just picked up a 2019 base car with only 23k and thrilled with it!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.