Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to
1) Update NAV database version (still have original database);
2) where and how to confirm you have CarPlay
Have NAV, PCM 4.0, no connect or connect plus, no Siri on stalk,
have a CD slot (for disc updates if around); does anyone know if
NAV update can be unbundled (not packaged w/PCM)
and easily done with a disc; if so, where to find it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
A vin check will confirm if you have Apple CarPlay. ( if you plug your iPhone into usb connection and nothing happens you probably do not have it) There is a list member who offers Nav updates and Apple CarPlay without going to the dealer. A search should answer those questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a few posts on the other website rennlist and a user “simaservis1108” can do the upgrade to add CarPlay and update the maps for a lot cheaper than the dealer.
I contacted him and he was able to help and do the upgrade through my laptop connected to the macans USB port. It took roughly 20 minutes on the computer with him and I now have CarPlay.
I didn’t bother updating the nav maps because I’ll always end up using google or Waze through the CarPlay connection now.
Many people have used this same person and he didn’t ask for payment through PayPal until the update was done and I confirmed CarPlay was working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a few posts on the other website rennlist and a user “simaservis1108” can do the upgrade to add CarPlay and update the maps for a lot cheaper than the dealer.
I contacted him and he was able to help and do the upgrade through my laptop connected to the macans USB port. It took roughly 20 minutes on the computer with him and I now have CarPlay.
I didn’t bother updating the nav maps because I’ll always end up using google or Waze through the CarPlay connection now.
Many people have used this same person and he didn’t ask for payment through PayPal until the update was done and I confirmed CarPlay was working.
I don’t think my Macan is wired for CarPlay which means that has to be installed before they can load the software because my USB port shows nothing; was quoted 2400 (ouch) but now I’m asking dealer whether I can get wired without Siri on stalk & just use the home button; maybe it would best to just subscribe to Porsche Connect for a year & try out CarPlay to see if it’s even worth getting; we will be doing a lot of road trips and & rural driving; we never travel without hardcopy maps as a failsafe backup system; I’d just like to get an updated copy of the NAV database which is currently five years old in my vehicle; has anyone used Porsche connect and received an updated version of a map database for the older Macans? I’ll be getting in touch with Porsche connect support team and post what info I get from them; we bought our 2017 GTS for the sheer joy of driving it which we have to admit is nothing shy of fun, but it never ceases to amaze me they didn’t put more thought into their NAV System updates and give a courtesy copy to all their customers for being loyal to their brand!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My macan does have the voice button on the turn stalk and the dealer will tell you that it’s required to get CarPlay but the reality is
Also my macan does not have the Porsche connect option either (no SIM card slot between the two SD card slots below the screen)

simaservis1108 on rennlist can tell you if you can add CarPlay by looking up your PCM software version. He was very helpful and was able to answer all of my questions.

as far I know it’s not a matter of being wired for CarPlay - rather it’s all software based and just needs enabled in the head unit.

there are a decent amount of posts about adding CarPlay and some users did confirm CarPlay works without the voice button on the turn signal and even noted some dealer would do the install with out it while other dealers required it for some reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is actually another post here in the electronic section where others have had CarPlay installed by simaservis1108
They did mine and it’s been working great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts