Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if anyone has installed a brake controller using wiring supplied with their factory installed trailer hitch/wiring. If you have, can you please let me know where you located the brake controller wiring under the dash. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thread on adding a brake controller:
http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/72065-does-tow.html

The Macan is exactly the same as a VW Toureg, Audi Q5 and the Porsche Cayenne.

Instructions here:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx
If you want to save a few bucks buy the harness parts from VW.. they are exactly the same.

I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller on my 2017 GTS. I use it to tow a custom 6x12 enclosed utility trailer with dual 2,200lbs Torsion axles for a total tow capacity of 4,400lbs.. exactly the limit of the Macan.

I had the factory trailer hitch and assembly installed when I ordered the car.

If you have any problems just take it into a trailer shop and tell give them the above information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your recommendations and advice.

I have been trying to locate the brake controller jack in my car and I can't find it up under the dash on the drivers side. Where did you find the brake controller jack on your 2017 GTS?

·
Registered
189 Posts
No jack, just wires. You do the rest. It’s covered in that link to eTrailer.

Honestly, just get a trailer shop to install. This isn’t an F150, things are not plug n play. They should be able to do this for an hours labor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It does happen to be plug and play like the F150 if you can locate the brake controller jack on the factory installed trailer harness. I have attached a Porsche service bulletin showing the jack at the end of the harness. Unfortunately, the 3 dealers I contacted could not tell me where it would be located on the Macan since it's not in the same spot as a Cayenne. They did say that it was so far up in the dash that most of the dash would need to be disassemble to locate it. I also used an endoscope to look for it and was unable to locate it. The trailer shops in my area have never installed a brake controller on a Macan and it appears yours has. If you could send me their information I'd really appreciate it. They must know what they’re doing since they found yours and were able to get it hooked up in one hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are 3 Macans in my entire province and I’m the only one that has a trailer hitch. I live well over 1,000 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer so I can assure you the trailer shop has never seen another Porsche, lot alone another Macan.

I provided the trailer shop a printout of the eTrailer site and they wired up the controller with just that. You’re better off searching for instructions on the Toureg or Q5 since they use the exact same chassis and towing package.
You absolutely do not need to disassemble the dash.

If I remember correctly, there is only a brake wire (yellow) wrapped in foam. You need to do the rest. There is no prewired harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case someone else may need this info.

I found the trailer wiring harness over the weekend tucked up in the dash on the right side of the steering wheel column. It has the same connector as illustrated in the Porsche Service Bulletin that I attached earlier in the thread. Once you find this jack you just need the connector as specified in the service bulletin and you are good to go. Plug and play.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I found the trailer wiring harness over the weekend tucked up in the dash on the right side of the steering wheel column. It has the same connector as illustrated in the Porsche Service Bulletin that I attached earlier in the thread. Once you find this jack you just need the connector as specified in the service bulletin and you are good to go. Plug and play.

I have looked several times and have not been able to find the harness in my 2017 Macan GTS. After reading your post I will try again. Did you need to remove the bottom tray piece under the dash to find it? I installed a Redarc brake controller in place of my cigarette lighter. I think it is a very neat setup. Now I just need to find the harness to plug it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
My GTS had the wires hanging there, and the eTrailer article I linked in the 2nd post shows you need to buy and install the harness yourself. It lists the part numbers you’ll need too.

My installer pulled the plastic panel under the drivers side and removed the entire left fuse panel to do a clean install. The whole install took 30 min and all I provided was a printout of the eTrailer page and the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Was this a US spec car? Everything I’m reading says it would be under the left side of the dash but still can’t find it. Any additional clues would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have looked several times and have not been able to find the harness in my 2017 Macan GTS. After reading your post I will try again. Did you need to remove the bottom tray piece under the dash to find it? I installed a Redarc brake controller in place of my cigarette lighter. I think it is a very neat setup. Now I just need to find the harness to plug it in.
I hope you finally found the brake controller connector. I’m not having any luck an looking for any additional clues or suggestions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm also in need of a brake controller. Where are you guys mounting the controller so it doesn't look terrible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up getting the Curt Echo wireless controller. This wasn’t my first choice but still can‘t find the connector under the dash.

The Echo uses Bluetooth to your phone for setup and monitoring but will Continue to use the last settings if the BT connection is lost. Just make sure the connectors on the trailer cable and hitch plug are clean. It seems to be more sensitive to a poor electrical connection that my wired controller was in a Q5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BRAKE CONTROLLER PLUG FOUND AT LAST ! After many fruitless hours of trying to find the brake controller connector under the dash... it was behind the left kick panel. Only by chance did I get a glimpse of the foam with a borescope. After that, my procedure was... Remove the hood release lever by pulling out the locking clip on the back edge of the pivoting area, then the lever should pop off the splines. There is one screw visible after the lever is removed. Using a plastic trim tool, I pried the kick panel off starting at the rear of the door threshold and worked forward gradually unsnapping the tabs. The largest part in the footwell took a little extra twisting to get it from behind the dead pedal. Once the panel was removed, the foam covered plug was right there with plenty of space to work on it.

2017 Macan S with factory tow hitch

·
Registered
94 Posts
BRAKE CONTROLLER PLUG FOUND AT LAST ! After many fruitless hours of trying to find the brake controller connector under the dash... it was behind the left kick panel. Only by chance did I get a glimpse of the foam with a borescope. After that, my procedure was... Remove the hood release lever by pulling out the locking clip on the back edge of the pivoting area, then the lever should pop off the splines. There is one screw visible after the lever is removed. Using a plastic trim tool, I pried the kick panel off starting at the rear of the door threshold and worked forward gradually unsnapping the tabs. The largest part in the footwell took a little extra twisting to get it from behind the dead pedal. Once the panel was removed, the foam covered plug was right there with plenty of space to work on it.

2017 Macan S with factory tow hitch
Thanks. Just installed it myself according to your instructions. A little bit of a PITA but nothing major. Here are the steps i followed:

1. Removed the clip behind the trunk release with a plastic knife (my trim tool is in it's usual who knows where location) and removed the lever.
2. Removed the fuse box and the piece of trim on the left.
3. Starting from the B-pillar removed the trim with Macan name on it.

The connector is located at the top left of the picture below. Why wouldn't Porsche engineers make it accessible without disassembly is beyond me, probably to make an extra $500. Also ordered this harness https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBT9Y1P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as it looks OEM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts